Profile for Tamara Dwyer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tamara Dwyer "TK Dwyer" RSS Feed (Austin TX)

Orphan Black, Season 2 [HD]
Orphan Black, Season 2 [HD]
DVD
Price: $25.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as perfectly plotted as Season One - spoiler free, June 1, 2014
You did see Season One, right? Every twist and turn was a surprise, a roller coaster reveal. But it made sense, there was internal logic to why characters took actions at key points.

It is meandering now. Every week I'm saying "now why would he (or she) make that choice?" "Oh, to further the plot and set up the next scene." Writers get time pressure, and I get disappointed. Still watching, still amazed at Tatiana Maslany's multiple characters and her subtle mastery of blinks and motions, the little things that make individuals different.

"When will they reach the end? Hope this doesn't drag out to nonsense like Lost" my wise and impatient partner says. The story is suitable for a miniseries, not an endless ten season NCIS-type run.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 4, 2014 6:04 AM PDT

Popular: Vintage Wisdom for a Modern Geek
Popular: Vintage Wisdom for a Modern Geek
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $9.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible story of real life eighth grader with guts and charm, May 30, 2014
Maya reads and follows advice from a 1950s teenage popularity guide, working on a topic a month while attending 8th grade in Brownsville. I enjoyed the hell out of the story of her year, just the right mix of goofiness, sadness, and triumph.

Panache Women's Underwired Sports Bra, Black, 32FF
Panache Women's Underwired Sports Bra, Black, 32FF
Price: $68.00
6 used & new from $68.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Quickly becoming the only bra I'll wear - a true 18-hour bra, February 6, 2014
I have other Panache bras. I have other sports bras. This bra is my the one I want to wear all the time. Bought one, bought another a week later. Provides good shaping, modesty, coverage, and smooth cups. No Bounce, which is just as important walking up stairs at the office as on the treadmill. T-shirts drape nicely over the bra, the padded straps, silicone-encased underwire and secure sides keep me comfortable all day no matter what I do or how I move.

Alba BotanicaTM Even Advanced Natural Moisturizer Sea Moss SPF 15 -- 2 fl oz
Alba BotanicaTM Even Advanced Natural Moisturizer Sea Moss SPF 15 -- 2 fl oz
Offered by Best Buy New York
Price: $9.69
69 used & new from $4.36

1.0 out of 5 stars Burns my eyes, June 3, 2013
Use on my chin and tip of my nose only. Hours after I apply this sunscreen if I rub my face or it gets near my eyes, it burns horribly.

Shock Absorber Women's Ultimate-Run Sports Bra #5044
Shock Absorber Women's Ultimate-Run Sports Bra #5044
Price: $23.70 - $79.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Size 30 is six inches too small per my tape measure, October 18, 2012
I have a 29 inch band. I wear a 30 inch bra. The band on this size 30 bra is slightly less than 18 inches out-of-the-box and stretches to 24 inches. I did manage to fasten it once, out of curiosity mixed with determination, but the band was pulled so tight that it couldn't be considered a fit. Returned.

Home Dynamix Royalty 41200B-450 Black 7-Feet 8-Inch by 10-Feet 4-Inch Traditional Area Rug
Price: $154.99
12 used & new from $119.25

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, July 27, 2012
The colors and style from the image are true to the picture (I checked it on three PCs) and it looks great in the room. For $150, "It's OK" because it's not as plush and thick as some rugs. It's $150, it's OK. It had to stay out on the porch for 10 days unwrapped after it arrived; stinks to high heaven of some sort of ammonia and sizing that made all my household's eyes water.

South Austin Jug Band
South Austin Jug Band
16 used & new from $3.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Stands the test of time, December 9, 2011
This review is from: South Austin Jug Band (Audio CD)
This album is a joy. When it first came out I played it constantly. Motor City Man is a standout. Hill Country Nights never fails to bring a tear to my eye thinking about stars, bars, and those who shone so bright and have passed on. Each song is great in its way. But I was prompted to write this review after realizing that years later, every time it comes around on shuffle, I'm delighted all over again. If your music tastes, like mine, span genres and decades (Nirvana, George Michael, Doc Watson, Miles Davis all happily co-exist on my playlists) -- If you have a long-abiding appreciation for Union Station, Grateful Dead, Earnest Tubb, Old Crow Medicine Show -- then these traditional folk sounds played fast and strong with a youthful sense of humor just might become one of your favorite all-time albums too.

On a Stick!: 80 Party-Perfect Recipes
On a Stick!: 80 Party-Perfect Recipes
by Matt Armendariz
Price: $14.86
92 used & new from $2.87

4.0 out of 5 stars Yum yum yum, gorgeous book, May 16, 2011
Wowzers, this is first and foremost a *beautiful* book. Each recipe, each skewer type, each sauce, is absolutely picture-perfect. Fantastic ideas for fun foods for a family supper or a houseful. Great balance of sweet and savory, meat and vegetables, and my favorite, cheese. Large variety of ingredients, from pork belly to tofu and back again.

Many of the recipes are rather complex and require time, skill, and luck. Quite a few recipes require frying, and I never have learned to fry food. Everything is from scratch, no shortcuts assembling pre-made foods.

Listing the nutritional information, cooking technique -- grill, fry, or bake -- and the prep time would help users go from casual browsing to real menu planning. The fried spaghetti and meatballs makes a lovely picture, but time-consuming: first make spaghetti and meatballs, chill 12 hours, then assemble -- finally fry each of 8 portions separately for 6 to 8 minutes. The frying alone would require an hour.

Specific recipes might intimidate me, but I'm still thrilled with the purchase. Balancing out the "oh, no, that's too hard" are simple great ideas for party foods, quick kabobs and simple desserts. Tastes from around the globe and the US. It's a beautiful inspiration to create new presentations of your favorite recipes -- leafing through it my housemate and I started talking about ways to use paneer and other foods we love and serve 'em up on-a-stick with fantastic dipping sauce. Well worth it for the pictures and ideas alone. Food should be fun!

LEGO Large Baseplate Bundle
LEGO Large Baseplate Bundle
Offered by BuyArena
Price: $33.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Foundation for imaginative play, December 24, 2007
This review is from: LEGO Large Baseplate Bundle (Toy)
Recommended to stretch your existing Lego investment, especially for children who set up characters and scenarios with action based on land or water.

The extra land (and water, the blue pieces) helps my child set up complex and imaginative scenarios and fix them in place, then move different pieces forward and around. He's a WWII buff, and orderly lines of vehicles and people are important in his play. Watch your own kids' play before deciding -- another child, by contrast, built spaceships for years, and never asked for or needed any land in over ten years of lego-play. His creations swooped through the air.

The one baseplate we already had (which could have been 10 or more years old) was a thicker plastic, these are a bit thin and could easily be cracked by carelessly stepping on them.

It's a subtle gift, kids don't really know you can get extra parts like these, they are focused on the big pictures on the boxes they see at the stores. It was well-received and the pieces are in constant use.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2010 5:16 AM PDT

The Book of Bread (Perennial Library)
The Book of Bread (Perennial Library)
by Judith Jones
67 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Over twenty years of success, November 21, 2007
I have used this book for over 20 years, and consistently had great results. I used the 'basic' information in the early chapters to learn the fundamental skills, such as what temperature prompts yeast to start its magic and which temperatures kill it. I just made a recipe I'd never tried before for Thanksgiving; the rolls look so marvelous, I was tempted to drop by Amazon and see if the book is still in print for gifts.

The pizza recipe is excellent, and the generous use of whole wheat in many recipes is good too.

Highly recommended for all skill levels.