ARRAY(0x961f0d2c)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 553

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews "Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews" RSS Feed (Texas)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Running With the Devil (The Running Series)
Running With the Devil (The Running Series)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Grab a fan and find a man with a Harley!, April 18, 2014
Undercover DEA Agent Drake March is on a case to stop the possibility of some purposely bad purestdelightawarddrugs hitting the streets. His informant, Jerry, is dead, and he is using the last lead he gave him. To do that he has to force help from Kenna, the sexy woman that was in touch with his informant throughout the last year. He just has to resist the instant attraction to her too.

Kenna is not what she seems. She is a grad student that was paid to ride on the back of Jerry’s bike looking sexy and show him around the Sturgis rally the year before. When she gets a mysterious email from the supposedly dead Jerry, she goes to the meeting never expecting she would be forced to work with the sexy DEA agent or so attracted to him. These two are like a powder keg together. As much Kenna wants to resist her attraction to Drake, he gets his lips on her and she is lost!!

I don’t know how else to put it except to say that this book is freaking fabulous!!! It is so smoking HOT it will have you wanting your guy to have a motorcycle around to try out one scene!!!!! It has gone into the top five of my favorites by LJ. I don’t say that lightly, but her writing style is one of the few that if she wrote the phone book I would read that. I have shied away from writing reviews of her stuff because as you can see I go fan girl crazy when I talk about her books! This is one that I wish she would make a series!! It has really great supporting characters that are screaming for their story to be told!! If you haven’t read this one snatch it up, and get to reading it!! BUT BE WARNED you will need the following to read it: a fan, ice water, batteries and / or a man close by!!

Veiled Innocence
Veiled Innocence
Price: $3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Love??? I think not, April 18, 2014
This review is from: Veiled Innocence (Kindle Edition)
I wanted to go into this story with an open mind. And I tried, honestly tried. I had the tiny hope of trying because the the girl, Addison, was 18, so you know there is the tiny fleeting hope that I could get past the high school teacher and high school student love story.

I was able to overlook the age issues glaring at me but couldn’t get past the fact neither lead character had anything redeeming in them for me to care about them. Both Addison and Mr. McKendrick were two people that were just so hard to find anything likable about. I could find nothing on any level to commiserate with or understand about Addison and her bitchy, nasty persona not even when her past is revealed. There was nothing for me to latch on to and keep in the forefront while reading the story. I couldn’t find anything good about Mr. McKendrick. He would keep saying to himself that what he was doing and thinking was wrong but he kept doing it. Driving me crazy and getting me angrier and more annoyed with both characters.

These are not feelings you want while reading a book. At some point either lead character who is just nasty or irritating or stupid should have an epiphany, whether large or small, and realize their stupidity and then find a way to fix the stupidity. This never happened. I never had my heart tug for either of them nor did I quickly turn pages to find out what would happen next. I was cringing each time I turned the page – not the feeling someone wants while reading.

Seriously, if you want to read a book about a barely legal girl and her teacher having a relationship then yes this is the book you want to read – but if you want either of them to make you turn the pages quickly to be part of their world because of how beautiful their love is for each other this will be a disappointment because that just doesn’t show up within this story.

Fracture (Blood & Roses)
Fracture (Blood & Roses)

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark, Seedy, HOT!, April 18, 2014
4.5 stars

Holy Smokes! The Blood and Roses series has taken me to a dark and seedy world and I do not want to return. They were not hearts and roses, but edgy and confusing and totally engrossing.

Zeth Mayfair is dangerous, damaged, and sexy as hell. As the right-hand man in the Seattle underworld, he is both terrifying and mesmerizing. Drawn to Dr. Sloane Romera from an encounter years before, their paths cross again and both find themselves battling the sparks that scorch between them.

There is no way around it. Zeth is just uber-alpha male hotness. He is arrogant, deadly, and yet I couldn’t not just completely fall for him. Saying he is a “bad boy” doesn’t do him justice; he makes some of my favorite book bad boys look like little children playing games. He is complicated and dark and the sex between him and Sloane, while always consensual, is gritty and violent.

As the heroine, Sloane is confusing. She finds herself in situations with Zeth where she questions what she is doing and why she can’t just walk away. But I find myself wondering if I wouldn’t do the same thing for a man like Zeth.

I knew that this was a serial before I started, so I can’t really fault the author here for something I knew going in, but I am impatient now for the third installment. With interesting secondary characters, an actual plot, and the danger and betrayals following Zeth and Sloane I could not put either of these books down. Literally.

If you can’t tell from my complete gushing over Zeth (swoon), I loved these books. Dirty and twisted, they were a complete escape from reality and descent into the darkly erotic world where Sloane and Zeth reside.

Hungry Heart (Konigsburg, Texas)
Hungry Heart (Konigsburg, Texas)
Price: $4.24

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this series!, April 18, 2014
4.5 Stars

Sometimes you start a series and it just resonates with you and from the first book in Meg atruegemawardBenjamin’s Konigsburg, Texas series I felt at home. I loved the small town atmosphere, the crazy town citizens, and the down home Texas feel. While Hungry Heart may be book number eight in this series it can absolutely be read as a stand-alone story. I’ll warn you though this book is going to make you hungry for Texas barbeque complete with fixins’, some good lovin’, and a rockin’ good time.

You have to love a story when one of the heroines lives in Texas and doesn’t understand why barbeque is a big deal especially when she’s a chef. And yes, I said one of the heroines because in this book we get not one but two complete love stories. While the other three main characters are born and raised Texans, Darcy is from Nebraska and she really just doesn’t understand why barbeque is so important nor does she understand why the sides (or fixins’) don’t have to be fancy they just have to taste good. The one thing I will give her is as a lifelong Texan I don’t understand the whole bread thing either, but that’s another discussion for another day. I love the way this author handled these conversations and made it clear that there are just some things you don’t mess with and barbeque and fixins’ are some of those things. However, Ms. Benjamin from someone who lives with a man who takes his barbeque very seriously, you left out a very important Texas wood that a lot of cooks prefer and that is mesquite. That’s actually the only wood my husband will use especially for brisket. However, this book is a great story about how serious we Texans are about our state food and the quest for getting it just right.
Couple one is Darcy Cunningham the sous chef at The Rose and upscale resort on the outskirts of town. Darcy is one of those strong women who isn’t afraid of hard work and doesn’t really take any crap off of anyone. Darcy however, doesn’t get why barbeque is such a big deal and why they have to hire a caterer for this at The Rose. When she meets The Barbeque King (aka Harris Temple) she sees it as an opportunity to learn a new skill however, she’s hard pressed not to notice how devilishly handsome he is. At first glance these two seem like such an unlikely pair but in reality they have a lot in common with their shared love of good food and hard work. It was interesting to find out Harris’ connection to the area and about his life prior to becoming “the King.” I also enjoyed learning a little more about Darcy. I love that these two challenged one another yet had a healthy respect for the work the both excelled at. One thing that was certain was the chemistry between these two; it sizzled every time they were together.

Couple two is Chico Burnside and Andy Wells both of whom we met in previous books. I’ve always been very curious about Chico and we learned quite a bit about this very interesting man. It was very interesting to see a softer side of him and I loved how off balance he felt around Andy at first. Andy is also a returning character although some might not remember her. Working for the Texas Department of Environmental Quality she had a small part in an earlier book in this series. This was almost a beauty and the beast type of love story. Not that Chico is ugly but he’s a big man, ex-Army Ranger and ex-pro Wrestler so he’s a huge guy and is quite intimidating. Andy is one of those women who prefers to blend into the background and has a hard time dealing with the attention the two of them draw when they are together. However, it’s evident early on these two have some real feelings for one another. I really loved how Andy defends Chico around her brother and her ex-husband. Without much family of her own, it was fun to watch Andy around Chico’s large and loud family.

When Harris and Chico team up for a barbeque cook-off these two couples wind up spending a lot of time together getting ready for the competition. In doing so, they host quite a few cook outs which brings out many of the couples from the previous books. It’s always interesting catching up with old friends. As the competition gets close the team suffers a major set-back but friends and family rally around them to help. An incident at the competition threatens the team’s entry adding more excitement to this story.

I very much enjoyed this book; the two couples were mature and although their relationships progressed fairly rapidly they didn’t play games. Yes, there was a little uncertainty at times but that’s pretty much common in most new relationships. They all worked together very well forming a unique bond that will no doubt continue into future books. Hungry Heart is one of those books that was simply enjoyable from beginning to end; it was easy to like these characters, the plot was interesting, the dialog smart, and most of all we get two sexy love stories in one book. Oh, and barbeque…we get lots and lots of Texas barbeque and that makes it one delicious book!!

Claiming Sunshine
Claiming Sunshine

2.0 out of 5 stars Ummmm yeah...NO, April 17, 2014
This review is from: Claiming Sunshine (Kindle Edition)
Where to start....First while this book almost ended up in my rarely used DNF pile, I felt compelled to keep reading because it is short and I wanted to see if something would help right the train before the wreck. Yeah, that didn't happen.

The author admits in her notes, at the end of the book, that she knows nothing about MCs. I really wish she would have researched more, I think it would have made the story better. I do think the author has potential, she just needs Beta Readers, Editors and to do more research before hitting publish.

Nikki is a married mother of two; she is married to a jerk. He treats her bad, belittles her and the smexing is not good. Her car breaks down on the side of the road, a tow truck and biker pulls up to help her. The tow truck is owned by the President of the local MC. He instantly has the hots for her and offers her a job. Her thoughts on first seeing him are "Oh this is like Sons of Anarchy." There were several mentions of her being obsessed with the show, I found it irritating and it also gave me the impression the author decided to write this book based on her love of SOA and maybe reading other popular MC romance books.

Scooter, pretty much the perfect man, except for the drug selling, gun running and occasional murders. Other than that he is honorable, doesn't sleep around and doesn't cheat either.

Claiming Sunshine felt rushed to me, the dialogue stilted, the scenes choppy. There were too many subplots going on and none were fleshed out. I recognized terminology and lines from other popular MC books, I am not alluding to anything I just noticed the coincidence. I "reeled in" my frustration so I could make it through the book, however I almost lost it when he asked her if she wanted it "hard or soft". There was the random use of "bitch" thrown in, yet the bikers for the most part "talked" in regular English, no slang. In the course of the story there were three romances going on, the book is ONLY 135 pages long. One of the romances is a MC member who falls instantly in love with someone, immediately makes her his old lady, then there is the romance of the main characters Nikki and Scooter and there is a third romance that kind of came out of nowhere. There was really nothing in this book that made me like it, I kept reading it because I love MC romances and was hoping it would get better, but it didn't and the further in the more sub plots appeared.

If you like MC Romances, give it a try, don't just take my word. Maybe you will like it more than I did.
I am immensely glad I borrowed the book via Amazon Prime. Now call me a glutton for punishment, but I have heard that there will be a second book and it will be longer. I will read it because I want to see if the author improves any.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 18, 2014 6:38 AM PDT

Her Best Laid Plans
Her Best Laid Plans
Price: $3.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it!, April 17, 2014
It’s always exciting to read book about vacation romances and Her Best Laid Plans is one of the more enjoyable I’ve read in a long time. Set in Ireland and featuring two people both with big plans for their future that don’t include a relationship makes this story remarkably engaging and highly emotional.

If anyone needs a vacation it’s Jamie Webb. Dumped after a three year long relationship in which she put her college plans on hold to work while her fiancé attended medical school, she’s moved back across country and is now taking the vacation of a lifetime sans her best friend who had to bail at the last minute.

Unfortunately Ireland isn’t exactly what she expected, house sitting for her mother’s friend she finds herself in the country and in a pub that looks more like a retirement home until the new bartender walks in and things begin to look a whole lot better.

Connor Kelleher is finally getting his life back on track when he meets American Jamie Webb in his father’s pub. In addition to being completely charmed, he can’t help but see how much in common they have. But, they both have plans and those plans don’t include a relationship but a two week fling seems perfect for both of them. Sometimes though two weeks is just long enough to know your life won’t ever be the same.

This was such an easy book to love, the characters were so determined not to fall for one another and just enjoy the time they had together and they had plenty including a lot of extremely sexy times. It was extremely gratifying to watch them battle their feelings knowing there was a time limit on their affair.

I realize this is a novella and I felt we got to know the characters fairly well and while the book ends with a happily for now, it left me a little unsettled. Yes, I believe they will make it but I would have loved an epilogue showing that Connor’s bold move was worth his effort. Despite that little disappointment, Her Best Laid Plans is a very good summer romance story with characters that will charm you and have you dreaming of drinking a Guinness in a laid back Irish pub.

Nailed
Nailed
Price: $3.03

4.0 out of 5 stars d'Abo NAILED it with this one, April 16, 2014
This review is from: Nailed (Kindle Edition)
4.5 Stars

A book that deals with a home improvement reality television show, yep sign me up!

Nailed by author Christine D’Abo is about a new designer, Sophia Holbrook, taking on the challenge of remodeling the shelter she stayed in with her mother when her father threw them out of their home when she was 5 years old. She’s anxious to give back to the organization that made her feel safe and loved and to make a name for her new company, but what she doesn’t expect is a workplace romance with contractor Fynn Babineau or to have to confront memories from her past. Although high entertaining and at times fun, this book is also a journey of self discovery and realizing that the past doesn’t have to dictate your future, that sometimes what may seem like a selfish act is truly a selfless one, and letting go of the hurt will free you to embrace the life you deserve.

I really enjoyed the game of cat and mouse that Sophia and Fynn seemed to play for a majority of this book. There was something between them, yet they both seemed to not be sure where they stood with the other and even after some pretty passionate alone time, their baggage kept them from truly being together. However, it was so obvious these two not only wanted each other but they needed each other. I found it very interesting they way they both became very protective of one another very early on yet refused to own up to their feelings for one another.

There are some twists and turns in this book, but overall the relationship between Sophia and Fynn was front and center with them turning to one another rather than struggling against one another. I liked the maturity of their relationship, they were careful to see things from all sides and they actually communicated which is often so rare in many romance books. Their fun banter was part of the reason I loved this book so much.

Nailed is for anyone who can appreciate two mature people who despite their past disappointments are able to see that loving someone doesn’t have to hurt. That letting go of the past and embracing the here and now is beautiful and that no matter what, having someone there by your side can make all the difference in your life. This may be a novella but it packs a punch and author Christine D’Abo really “Nailed” this one!

Review copy provided for an honest review.

Night After Night (Seductive Nights)
Night After Night (Seductive Nights)

4.0 out of 5 stars STEAMY!, April 16, 2014
After reading the prequel to this book First Night, I was hooked. The characters were so engaging and their story wicked and enticing and I knew I would have to see their relationship through to the end. In this book we gain better understanding about what Julia is dealing with and why she felt she could only have one night with Clay. We see why Clay has trust issues and is cautious about the women he gets involved with. And, we see a lot more sinfully wicked fun between the two of them. However, it’s not all about the sex, these two share a lot of themselves with each other but Julia knows that to share everything would put Clay in harms way.

This book pretty much picks up where the prequel left off except we learn very quickly what is going on with Lauren and why she worries about everyone in her life. Another weekend together only confirms what they both already expected, they are compatible in and out of bed.

In the course of a short time, these two go through a lot of ups and downs and each time I feel for both of them. I feel for Julia because she really believes she’s doing the right thing by not involving Clay and getting him mixed up in something that she feels will threaten him. Clay because he wants to know and feels betrayed something he’s experienced before and doesn’t want to experience again.

I would be lying if I didn’t say I hate the way this book ended, but knowing that in less than a month I’ll know how everything plays out helps soothe my angst. I will say that the author has me totally caught up in this story, that because I care so much about these characters I’m willing to wait to see how it all turns out, and holy hell if the make-up sex they will hopefully have is only half as hot as what has happened in the first two books I’ll be more than satisfied. Night after Night might not have the ending I want, but I’m betting when I get it, it’s going to be spectacular!

Review copy provided for an honest review.

A Night of Misbehaving (Entangled Indulgence)
A Night of Misbehaving (Entangled Indulgence)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish it was longer, April 16, 2014
2.5 Stars

A Night of Misbehaving is one of those books that could have been so much better had it been longer; had we had the time to really get to know the characters and see their relationship blossom and grow. What we got was just a quick look at the beginning of what could probably have been a really nice romance and I felt cheated.

When Brent Turner realizes his moronic business partner intends to take out and bed “Super Mom” Georgia Taylor he insists on taking the date himself. He has an ulterior motive; he wants to woo the company she works for into a wellness program he’s developing for his gym. However, he’s quickly enchanted by Georgia and realizes there’s more to life than work and he’d like to spend some one on one time with her.

Georgia Taylor can’t believe when Brent Turner aka Sexy Dad walks in and turns out to be her blind date. She’s mortified that her young daughter’s best friend’s dad is her date even more that Brent turned down her good friend when she asked him out. She tries telling herself it won’t work but somehow her body isn’t getting the message.

I really loved the set up of this book, the fact that they are both parents of young children who go to the same school. The fact that her best friend has a crush on him and that he’s noticed she’s cold towards him at the school but he has no idea why and that they have this chemistry that can’t be ignored. What I didn’t like is that their time together was rushed and that they seemed to forget about their initial reservations almost immediately. I would have loved way more time with these characters getting to know them better, seeing how they got along with the other’s child, and how they fit their relationship into their very busy lives.
I enjoyed the premise of A Night of Misbehaving, but it could have been so much better had the characters and the plot been more fully developed.

Review copy provided for an honest review.

The Bare Bones (The Bare Bones MC)
The Bare Bones (The Bare Bones MC)
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars This story is raw, bloody and at times shiver evoking, April 16, 2014
This is a new motorcycle club series so of course I’m interested, they are my favorite kind of bad boys!

Madison Shellmound had a rough life. Her father left when she was eight and her mother just gave up after that. She and her two younger siblings were left to fend for themselves. That is until mom hooks up with the president of the Bare Bones MC and he and his son, Ford move in. Now they have food and security, well almost.

Ford Illuminati has lived his whole life in the motorcycle club; he doesn’t know any different kind of life. At seventeen he has earned his cut and a filthy few patch (killed someone). He’s tough, rough and no one messes with him, well except for the ladies. Yes even at this young age, Ford has earned the label player.

Can two damaged kids heal each other? This book is the story of how they try. I must say that I really enjoyed how the author wrote this book. It is from both characters points of view which I love. I think it’s great to see inside each of their minds. But I also like the way Madison’s parts were written. She is writing her story and every now and then she talks directly to the reader, I enjoyed that.

This book is definitely not a fluffy romance that just happens to take place around a motorcycle club. This story is raw, bloody and at times shivers evoking. There are scenes that are not easy to read, but necessary for the story line. And there is sex, steamy sex. I truly enjoyed this book and look forward to more in this series.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20