Profile for Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 471

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews "Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews" RSS Feed (Texas)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Finding Julia
Finding Julia
Price: $3.03

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok read but I still couldn't put it down, September 29, 2014
This review is from: Finding Julia (Kindle Edition)
In Finding Julie, Desiree Holt manages to take two hot button issues and still turn out a book that I found engaging and while I didn't love it, it was hard for me to put down. For a romance there was really very little of that in this book and I think that is my biggest issue although I have heroine issues as well for a couple of reasons. I don't mind messy romances especially when a couple works through everything over time and comes out on the other side stronger than ever, but I felt like we were cheated to that part of the story and honestly this book left me with more questions than it answered and for someone like me that is never a good thing because my inquisitive mind can't let it go.

Julia Patterson and Luke Buchanan meet when their companies do work together and there is an instant attraction, some hot and steamy sex, a follow up visit and then Julia's life comes crashing down around her and their connection is broken.

It is very rare that I don't like a heroine but unfortunately Julia is one that drove me quite crazy. She made choices on her own, many that weren't good and several without obtaining advice from legal counsel. I get that she was stressed, that she was being mentally abused/bullied, but for someone who was a partner in a company and educated she didn't seem to have a lot of common sense. She refused to listen or let her friends help and to be honest her stubbornness caused her years of grief and hurt many people close to her. I will be flat out honest and say that in my book she committed a couple of offenses that I just can't condone and that is probably why I not only couldn't identify with her.

Luke is one of those heroes that is easy to love but at times a little too easy going and quick to forgive. However I will say that there were moments when to me he seemed somewhat overbearing and I was surprised given Julia's history she put up with it. I hate that he was treated so poorly and that he gave up so much for falling for a woman who gave up and didn't fight for what they wanted. At times he was just a little too perfect but again, that's kind of what makes him such great hero material.

This book spans 14 years with a lot of time we don't see and time I would have loved to see especially from Luke's point of view. The actual romance part between Julia and Luke was fairly short although I will say that the majority of time they spent together was of an intimate nature and it was hot and sexy as expected from this author. The rest of the story dealt with Julia's life with her children and everything she went through to provide security for them. Don't get me wrong I admire her for her dedication to her children but she sacrificed way more than she needed to.

While Finding Julia was a good story it wasn't a great one for me. The heroine was too weak for my tastes and because of that made decisions that hurt so many people in her life; people who loved her and only wanted what was best for her. While I appreciated the epilogue I would have love to actually see some of the events referenced actually taking place and most of all I would have loved to see the hero actually get mad and make the heroine grovel a little for everything he put him through (maybe that's mean of me to say but she got off way too easy). This is a reissue of one of Ms. Holt's earliest works and after reading this; it is easy to see how much he has grown as a writer. Finding Julia played out like a family drama and as a drama it is a very good, but for those expecting a Desiree Holt romance, this one missed that mark.

Review copy provided for an honest review.

A Starstruck Kiss: (Jess and William: Book 1) (Wrapped Up in Love)
A Starstruck Kiss: (Jess and William: Book 1) (Wrapped Up in Love)
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I was instantly engrossed, September 29, 2014
Being a paparazzi, trying to catch those out of the world celebrity shots, is hard enough when you have stiff competition all the time. But when the competition is a hot, sexy Britt that gets stiff thinking about you, sparks fly! Both Kess and William have something the other needs; Jess needs the money a high profile wedding picture will get her to help pay for med school and William needs a Visa to stay in the US. Each can help the other out in their needs!

Lauren Blakely does not disappoint with this book. I was instantly engrossed with the descriptions of both characters and their day-to-day activities. Celebrity watching seems to be an exciting activity and this book shows just how exciting it can get. But attraction laced throughout it all, with yummy encounters, keeps the reader wanting more. Can’t wait for the next in the series!

Review copy provided for an honest review.

Dark Blue (Study in Seduction)
Dark Blue (Study in Seduction)
Price: $4.24

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been wonderful, and while definitely worth reading, I can’t help but feel that it fell short of what it could have be, September 26, 2014
3.5 Stars

Dark Blue was a mix of emotions for me. I couldn’t put it down, but I’m not sure how I really felt about it.

The romance between Professor Alex Lemaitre and returning student Carla Jonas was complex and steeped exploration; in both of them trying to discover the needs they each had, to discipline or accept such discipline. To control through sexual domination or be controlled. Alex was a multi-faceted hero in that he was dominant and caring, while at the same time being hard and aloof. He was a likable, if somewhat confusing, character. I did not feel as much of a liking for Carla. She seemed to only have a backbone at certain times. She was bold enough to return to school and live out her dreams after the death of her husband, but afraid to stand up to her family. Assured enough to confront Alex about whether he was the masked man she met at a fetish party, but afraid to read an erotic poem aloud in class.

The story itself was written in a very lush manner. The references to erotic poetry, the enchantment of the Oxford setting, and the British sayings immersed the reader in an English flavor which was charming. However, I just felt that in some manner, the sex and the plot itself fell short.

The build up to the relationship between the characters was erotic, but during the actual sex scenes, I felt it was too rushed. I wanted more detail to understand the emotions between these two. Also, a mystery stalker was introduced into the plot, whose identity seemed to be resolved too obviously, and the allusions to Alex’s past seemed to hint at darkness, but I found the actual explanations to be, frankly, anti-climactic.

A story with a sexy hero where discipline and BDSM were woven into a mix of erotic poetry, and a forbidden relationship between a professor and his student, Dark Blue had a lot of potential that I feel was not fully tapped. A second book has been released in this series with Alex’s brother, whom we have already met, so I am interested in hearing about his story. I just hope that Ms. Bond explores the full potential that Alex’s brother’s story has to offer. Dark Blue could have been wonderful, and while definitely worth reading, I can’t help but feel that it fell short of what it could have been.

Review copy provided for an honest review.

Born of Fury (A League Novel Book 7)
Born of Fury (A League Novel Book 7)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $12.74

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT!, September 26, 2014
4.5 Stars

Sherrilyn Kenyon's telling of a story never leaves the reader wanting. She gives you everything that you are hoping for and then a little bit more.

The story of Dancer Hauk was a long awaited one. Silent, moody, a man unto himself. As his life is not his to live, he carries on the “Hauk” name in shame and with little confidence for his future. He loves his brothers and their families but knows that there is no happily ever after in his future. Taking his nephew, Darice and Nyk's daughter, Thia on Endurance, Dancer Hauk meets the woman that could bring him to his knees and end his life … not with a blaster or a knife, but with the temptation that she brings him. Never having lain with a woman, never having been loved by a woman, Dancer Hauk can lose his life just for lusting after Sumi. As he gets to know the woman behind the assassin, he know that there is no true way he could ever give himself to another, especially Darice's mother, Dariana.

Sumi Antaxas is a trained assassin sent by Kyr to capture him and bring him back to The League. This is not a choice that she made with her life but, when she killed her boyfriend, her life was no longer hers. To save the life of her baby, Sumi agrees to joining The League. What she does not count on is Hauk being a compassionate, loving, sexy male that could make her rethink all of her opinions of males. But, she has Kalea to think about … getting her out of the hands of The League. Does she give up her daughter for the love she is feeling for Dancer or does she do as she was ordered and bring the Sentella down?

A rescue, the generosity of people who she felt wouldn't want her around, the realization of all that she thought true being wrong, and a very special promise from the man she was sent to kill, brings Sumi into a life that she never thought she would have. A fight to the death with the woman who has made Hauk's life a living Hell, ends with some truths that have been hidden from the whole Hauk family and brings Sumi, Dancer, Kalea and Darice into a family filled with love and honor.

I love the writings of Sherrilyn Kenyon and am never disappointed with the stories that she weaves for us. I was surprised when I had a hard time getting into the story of Sumi and Hauk. The beginning is the history of the Andarians and how both Hauk and Sumi got to this point in their lives. Several flashbacks and stories explaining why each of them are the way they are today. But, I was thrilled when I was able to push past all this and get to the real heart of the story. The love that Hauk and Sumi had for each other was finally brought to life and what each would give up for the other was brought alive on the pages of “Born of Fury”. All of our favorite Sentella men and woman and an introduction to a new man, brought the story together and proved, once again, that Ms. Kenyon has a way with words and the telling of a story that leaves the reader gratified and happy. Now, we need to find a mate for Fain!

Review copy provided for an honest review.

Hard as Stone (Passion in Paradise:  The Men of the McKinnnon Sisters Book 2)
Hard as Stone (Passion in Paradise: The Men of the McKinnnon Sisters Book 2)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional roller-coaster for my mind, heart and soul!, September 23, 2014
Harmony McKinnon is a single mother that puts her daughter and sisters first and herself last. She’s happy working in the family bar and expanding her new event planning business, no need for a man in her plans.

Jacob Stone comes to town and turns Harmony’s world upside down. He’s taking her on dates, they’re falling in love and all the while Jake’s hiding the fact that he’s investigating her and her ex-husband.

Things heat up quickly between the two but I love how Harmony knew Jake was hiding something and she decided to be proactive; not just blindly trusting him, Harmony went searching for answers. No weak and meek women here, those McKinnon sisters protect their own. I love this little town and these strong sisters.

Jake’s omitting information brought danger to their doorstep and things take a turn from bliss to nightmares in a blink of an eye.

Hard as Stone was an emotional roller-coaster for my mind, heart and soul, there were highs and lows; I never knew where the story was going to take me. Who knew a gunshot wound and a trip to the E.R. could be the funniest thing every!! The dialog between these close friends added a sense of togetherness. When the truth is revealed you find yourself wondering should she forgive him. Is love worth talking another chance? And of course you want the next book in the series cause the crazy sister is next!

Review copy provided for an honest review.

Good Together (Carrigans of the Circle C, Book 2)
Good Together (Carrigans of the Circle C, Book 2)
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, yet heartbreaking romance that makes a person believe in the power of starting over., September 23, 2014
3.75 Stars

Wes is broken down cowboy who is realizing that he’s too old for the rodeo circuit. With his girls leaving for college, and his career heading down the pipes, Wes abruptly decides to end some things that have been a constant in his life for years.
Mattie is a very hard-working, mother of twin girls, and wife to a rodeo cowboy. She is used to feeling a body entering the house at all hours and curling up to her, but lately he hasn't, and she’s beginning to wonder what’s wrong. Her twins have left for college and it seems like her life is about to change again.

Mattie is worried about her husband, Wes and the way their marriage is headed. At first she is concerned about how Wes’ rides went and when he will be home? Will he be in one piece? Is he considering retiring from rodeo? Why is he taking long and longer to return home after his rides?

As Mattie is cleaning up and go about her household chores she finds something odd in her husbands’ belongings, she leaves the item in sight and decides to ask him about it later. A nagging feeling has settled over her as she heads back to the house, her husband is awake and is dropping a bomb shell on her, unsure of what she will do, she simply decides to stay inside until her neighbor won’t take no for an answer. Mattie is back among the living and is accepting her life is changing whether she likes it or not.

Fed up with the lies and avoidance Mattie along with her neighbor, Nat go in search of Wes. No only do the find some answers to questions but have raised some questions about the two of them in the process. Returning “home” she gets hit again with more heartbreak, the thing that she enjoys most in life, and holds fond memories of her and the girls together are no longer hers. They belong to someone else. Nat is trying his best at helping Mattie through her situation, but struggles to keep a lid on his attraction to Mattie. Their attraction reaches a boiling point and then suddenly becomes like ice. Unfortunately, Mattie’s’ gut feeling is telling her that Nat is hiding something besides his feelings from her and she is determined to find out what. Their growing attraction is becoming harder and harder to resist, until Mattie finds the secret and confronts Nat about it. Facing the truth was much easier than Nat had planned so now he’s wondering can they be good together?

I had the pleasure of reading C.J. Carmichaels work before and really liked it, Good Together makes me want to read everything on her backlist. I felt as if I were watching my friend go through this struggle, yet she wrote it with such depth and compassion for her characters I wished nothing but happiness for everyone involved. At points I was disappointed with each character but that was what made them so believable and so realistic, it could have happened to anyone! This book held my attention all the way through, start to finish took me about five hours to read. I would recommend this book as a sweet, yet heartbreaking romance that makes a person believe in the power of starting over.

Review copy provided for an honest review.

Mercy (Beartooth, Montana Book 5)
Mercy (Beartooth, Montana Book 5)
Price: $6.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Daniels is at her best in this new thriller,, September 23, 2014
B.J. Daniels returns to Beartooth, Montana in another thriller of murder and mystery, all tied in with one of the inhabitants of this small town. Rourke Kincaid is on a mission of solving a cold case that he is drawn to by a woman in a photo taken at the crime scene. His mind is telling him he may be looking at a serial killer but his gut instinct is feeling something different. Going against his partner’s advice Rourke is getting closer to Callie Westfield, who is obviously reluctant to reveal her past or get close to anyone in town. The murder investigation takes many twists and turns and with each chapter the suspense builds slowly. Trying to unravel the past and stay one step ahead in the present, Rourke and his team find themselves in danger with each new uncovered clue. This story had it all. It was chilling, gruesome and an absolute page turner. I was engrossed from the beginning and was caught off guard with the end result. Daniels is at her best in this new thriller, and for fans of this series you’ll be pleased with the latest edition.

Review copy provided for an honest review.

Rules of Protection (A Tangled in Texas Novel) (Entangled Select)
Rules of Protection (A Tangled in Texas Novel) (Entangled Select)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $4.74

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok read, September 23, 2014
I loved the beginning of this book. Emily is hanging out with her besties, celebrating her birthday, flirting with the boys when all of a sudden she being tossed into the witness protection program because she is the witness to a mob hit.

2.5 Stars

The book took a turn for me about half way through. Emily was getting on my nerves. I liked her sass and feisty attitude but I never really liked her. She was like a little girl always throwing a temper tantrum.

Jake was a sweet boy, with his charm and chivalrous nature but he couldn't carry the book himself.

For me, their chemistry lasted only the first few chapters. Both main characters and their friends acted a little immature. Perhaps if this was a young adult novel it could have worked.

Review copy provided for an honest review.

Seize me From Darkness (Pierced Hearts Book 4)
Seize me From Darkness (Pierced Hearts Book 4)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Pulls the reader in and keeps them turning the pages and waiting for more., September 23, 2014
Cari Silverwood continues The Pierced Heart Series with an unbelievable, dark, erotic, sometimes disturbing story about capture, control, punishment, dominance and submission. Pieter and Jazmine reunite in “Seize Me From Darkness” with both of them facing fear and death at the hands of Gregor.

As Pieter and Jazmine are reunited by the “Manager” in a way that has them both appalled, we learn more about their situation and the people surrounding them. Yes, Jazmine will come to depend on Pieter, even enjoy some of his sadist games but also has herself convinced that it's only because of Stockholm Syndrome – there is no way that it could be anything but that.

As the games continue, as Pieter is forced to harm and pleasure Jazmine, his true colors come out. Yes, he's a Sadist who will never love again. But, his feelings for Jazmine start coming forward and he can't deny that he actually wants to own her. As he tries to get messages out to help them escape, he knows that freeing Jazmine is out of the question … for his sanity and his safety.

All questions are finally answered as the mystery man is revealed and the reason for Jazmine's capture is revealed. When they are rescued, another problem comes up for Jazmine as Pieter finds out who she really is and how much damage she could do to him and the men who saved them from ultimate death. Now, there is only one solution …. totally slavery, submission.

Cari again drags us into a world of kidnapping and sadism with a little mystery thrown in for fun? But, this series never ceases to amaze me. The new and twisted ways she mind-fucks the reader and the heroine are getting more sinister than ever. Is there an HEA in Seize Me From Darkness? Well, that is going to depend on your definition of Happily Ever After. This, I will tell you, Pieter is happy. Is Jazmine?

Congratulations Cari on kicking this series up another notch. Your twisted mind and superb writing pulls the reader in and keeps them turning the pages and waiting for more.

Review copy provided for an honest review.

Debauched in Diamonds (Tulle and Tulips)
Debauched in Diamonds (Tulle and Tulips)
Price: $2.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Sexy and entertaining, September 23, 2014
I so love the Tulle and Tulips gang and watching a geeky hero fall in love with a heroine who would rather help brides plan their big day than get caught up in a messy love affair makes this one fun but sinfully sexy story.

Darci Drummond the Tulle and Tulips bling expert loves her job and the people she works with even when they keep trying to fix her up. While she's soured on commitment she wouldn't mind a man who could trip her trigger without any strings attached. When she's tricked into lunch with Victor Green, a client's brother, there is no denying the attraction. One quick conversation about expectations and Darci and Victor discover just how compatible they are. I loved these two and all of their quirks and they both had plenty. It was interesting to watch them figure out the things that made them tick and the accepting each other strange habits and all. Shared meals, some strange housecleaning, and some super sexy times leaves Victor falling in love and Darci running scared.

While the relationship between Darci and Victor was front and foremost, the crazy gang from Tulle and Tulips is around adding excitement as well as giving well meaning advice and a shove or two in the right direction. Nikki Duncan never ceases to grab my attention with her sexy stories and entertaining characters and Debauched In Diamonds is a fine addition to her growing body of work.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20