Profile for Olaf Johnson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 151

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Olaf Johnson RSS Feed (Anchorage, AK 99505)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
G-Star Men's Jeans Nattacc Straight Lexicon Denim
G-Star Men's Jeans Nattacc Straight Lexicon Denim
Offered by OXALLA US
Price: $139.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Jeans! Thick Durable Denim Fabric That Will Last A Lifetime!, December 20, 2014
I had to write a review for these little known G-Star Nattacc jeans that are a modified version to the popular Attacc jeans that G-Star sells in tons of colors.

They no longer sell Nattaccs anywhere at the G-Star shops but they do list it online at the main website where you could order them for full retail price. However I believe the only other place available was online here at Amazon at a much better price.

I was however lucky enough to try on a pair before ordering online. A local New York outlet retailer only had these in a 33 waist by 34 length so I worked out my size. Normally I'm a 32 x 30 but I realized that the 32x32 fit my 5'8" tall/158lbs frame perfectly. The waist, seat and crotch were a bit tight at first but these jeans do stretch to conform to your body after a few wears.

The picture on amazon show pretty much how these will look on you. They are not boot-fit/baggy and they are not skinny fit. They have a messy-straight fit that I like. Similar to Levi's 514 or Diesel Safado jeans. They also fit exactly like the straight fit G-Star Attacc jeans. If you want a baggy fit then order a size up and if you want a neat-skinny straight fit, where the hem falls on the top of your shoes/boots, then order a size down and an inch shorter on your normal inseam.

A final note to consider when buying Nattacs, or any G-Star denim, is that the Steel Denim/Lexicon/Medium/Dark Aged color are of the heavier weave 12oz denim. This means in winter time, as I have found, your legs will be warm without the need for long johns but summer time or hot weather beach wear will not work that well with these.

There is a lighter colored, Light/Medium Aged, Nattac that use a lighter weight denim weave which will be more warm weather friendly.

Definitely worth the money!

Woolrich Men's Arctic Parka Coat
Woolrich Men's Arctic Parka Coat
Price: $239.40 - $449.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Big Heavy Parka That Will Keep You Warm For the Value!, December 14, 2014
All the Canada Goose Parkas were sold out (as usual) so I tried this one on for a week before returning it. I'm 5'8" tall/160 lbs and I was swimming in the size small. It measured something like 26 inches across the chest between the armpits, 23 inches down the sleeves from armpits to cuff, and 35/36 inches long down the rear spine from bottom of hood to hem.

Said and done this Parka was designed for big body men over 6 foot tall and 200+ lbs.

If you get a good fit the quality will make you happy but I couldn't wear this coat comfortably at all. It was just too cumbersome for any sort of active moving around.

For those wondering this parka is similar to the Canada Goose Langford in style but much more heavier because of the bulky 550 down fill (the lower that number is the heavier the coat will be) compared to the 650 down fill of the CG Langford.

Spiewak Men's Waxed N3B Snorkel Parka with Faux Fur
Spiewak Men's Waxed N3B Snorkel Parka with Faux Fur
Price: $355.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Size Medium was huge on my 5'8" tall/160lbs frame!, December 13, 2014
I was lucky enough to try this on before I decided to not order it. I've owned a couple of Spiewak coats in the past (since the late 1990s when I was college bound and Navy Wool Peacoats were in) so I was naturally excited about this coat.

I walked in to local outdoors store to try on the Canada Goose Chateau but happened to see a fresh stock of these Spiewak Snorkels. The ones in the store must have had the real fur because they were priced at $745 each.

I tried the Medium and I expected a much better fit. The medium on my 5"8" tall frame was like wearing an XL or L. The torso was wide and big and the tailoring was also off. The sleeves were overly long and baggy but the shoulders and armpits were super tight.

Also the Wax outer shell is a light sheen over the polyester-blend fabric. I was hoping for a heavy canvas waxed material but it was soft and silky like the non-waxed versions.

Berghaus Men's Ulvetanna Parka Down Jacket Medium Black / Black
Berghaus Men's Ulvetanna Parka Down Jacket Medium Black / Black
Offered by Surfdome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Value, Style and Function than Canada Goose Parkas!, December 13, 2014
This is an amazing Parka! I ordered from Gaynors during their Cyber Monday sale and was surprised to find next-day-shipping included for shipping to the USA. After the VAT was deducted for my non-UK address I saved about $300 off the $550 retail. I originally was going to pay $800+ for the identical Canada Goose Chateau or Langford (both were sold out).

Lucky for me the Berghaus Ulvetanna with it's Waterproof AQ2 Shell, Light Weight 600 fill Hydrodown, Articulated Sleeves, 10 Pockets, Dual-Belay Zipper, and guaranteed Heat Retention in sub zero temps turned out to be a much better deal!

When it came to ordering online I was very worried about the sizing since most Arctic Parkas tend to be over-sized to allow for layering. I wanted a slim to normal fit and I already estimated the Ulvetanna to be warm enough to not need copious amounts of layering underneath. I was right because you can wear a t-shirt under this Ulvetanna in sub zero temp and still be very warm.

I am 5 foot 8 inches tall and 160 lbs and the Ulvetanna's size SMALL fit me exact with plenty of space left over for me to layer underneath with an underwear t-shirt, a dress shirt and a heavy wool knit sweater. I could put this thing over a business suit if I have to and it will look slim and great.

Size SMALL in the Ulvetanna measures 24.5 inches across the chest between the armpits, 22 inches down the sleeves from armpit to cuff end, and 31.5 inches long down the spine from the base of the hood to the hem.

Said and done the men's size SMALL in Berghaus Ulvetanna Parka fits like a normal men's 38R/40R or Medium in other coats. So size down if you plan on wearing this in urban environments or do not want a big bulky fitting coat during your winter hill walks.

The coat is tailored slightly wide in the torso (which is why you'll want to size down to begin with) but there is a middle waist cinch toggle to tame the width of the Ulvetanna. The cinch toggle is plain silly in my opinion because it uses what looks like cotton shoe laces to cinch the middle section around your torso. The end of the shoe laces hang limp outside the coat adjacent to the main zipper track and only get in the way of the main zipper. An elasticated bungee cord would have been much better or cinching waist straps under the armpits as found on the Canada Goose's Kensington Parka. Cinching waist straps work well to slim these Parkas down when worn during an urban commute to work.

The great thing with the Ulvetanna's cinch toggles is that it cinches on the outside of the zipper so if you need to cinch on the go you do not need to unzip the jacket, exposing your body to the cold, to cinch it. By comparison the Canada Goose Langford Parka has it's cinch toggle on the inside and you have to unzip that coat to access the toggles.

The cuff ends has a retractable stretchy nylon gaiter for keeping wrists warm while providing an extra inch or two to the sleeve. The sleeves are already long enough and is replete with Velcro cinches to lock in the heat along your arms. A feature not found on Canada Goose's offerings.

Sadly the bottom of the Parka can leave a large opening, if you do not button the hem button, where a strong cold gusty wind can creep up inside the coat. I would have wanted an elasticated cinch system in place on the hem as well. The good thing is there is an empty tunnel of fabric along the Ulvetanna's hem of the coat that works to hold a hem cinch system. The procedure of adding a cinch is easy to do with a coat hanger and some patience. I've already used a hefty bungee cord with cinch toggles to add a hem cinch on my Ulvetanna so now it seals in the heat around my legs.

Surprisingly this Ulvetanna Parka wears very light on the back. It does not feel as heavy as the Canada Goose Langford and Woolrich Arctic Down Parkas I tried on at the store. This is a big positive since the Ulvetanna is as warm (or warmer) than those other brands. You will not feel like you are wearing a house on your back and if you order a size down it will not fit bulky or appear cumbersome.

Feature wise this coat offers a lot of pockets (ten in total!) but my favorite are the two zippered hidden hand warmer chest pockets that sit behind the main flapped chest pockets. You can slip your "gloved" hands in there for warmth and also because your arms are snug against your torso you gain extra warmth in the torso area.

The lower flapped pockets are fleece lined as well and huge enough to fit a small Notebook PC/Macbook-A or iPad. There are also hidden zippered pockets that rest behind them. You also get an extra small zippered pocket on the upper arm that can hold lip balm or keys and there is an internal zippered Map Pocket great for Wallets, iPhones or Mobiles.

Note that none of the external hand pockets are inside the down baffles. They are outside the down on the surface of the coat but they are fleece lined and are all big enough to fit gloved or mitten-covered hands in. This was no issue for me since when it is cold enough to wear this coat chances are I am leaving the house with gloves on or in my bag.

There is a down-filled fleece lined collar in front of the hood that keeps your neck warm. The collar is not as lofty as the rest of the coat but there is a high-loft two-way adjusting hood already there to protect your head and neck. It is not a snorkel hood but it will fit over a climbing helmet.

There are two storm flaps (none of which are down-filled) that button close and protect the main two-way belay zipper. Normally not having down-filled storm flaps over the zipper can leave a cold spot, or vulnerability to the cold, along the central zipper since there is no down protection there but I did not find this to be an issue. The coat as a whole is already extremely warm enough that any potential cold spots along the central zipper aren't noticeable. If anything it keeps the Ulvetanna from being too warm.

I found the main zipper track to be very stiff at first time but it eventually became smooth with use. Also the loosely hanging ends of the shoe lace cinch toggle cords will get snagged in the zipper if you aren't careful.

I got my Ulvetanna in the Black color which has black zips and zipper pulls but the Navy Blue version has bright red zippers and zipper pulls. I don't like the zipper pulls. They are of cheap polyester fabric and too huge. The minute I saw them I cut them off and stitched on smaller durable nylon cordura pulls.

The faux fur trim on the large hood is good quality and detachable when not needed. It can also be flipped up to keep your ears warm when the hood isn't worn. This is great but the BIGGEST SURPRISE for me was discovering the Ulvetanna's sleeves to be fully articulated. This means you can freely swivel your arms 360 degrees above your head and the Parka does not ride up or shift. Not many, if any, other Arctic Down Parkas carry this awesome feature!

Overall this coat is a GREAT VALUE for what you pay (under $600) considering lesser and identical Canada Goose/Woolrich/Spiewak/Fashion-brand name Parkas cost between $600 and $1000 dollars.

Buffalo David Bitton Men's King Slim Bootcut Jean
Buffalo David Bitton Men's King Slim Bootcut Jean
Price: $99.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fit and comfort is excellent, the colors do not wash out, September 26, 2014
Even though boot fit jeans are out while slim is what's in these King X Slim Boots are a must have. Fit and comfort is excellent, the colors do not wash out. I bought a pair of Game-X Bitton denim in 2006 that still look good and dark today after years of wear and wash. I use ice cold water machine wash and hang dry.

If you wear Levi's these fit like the 527 low boot slims but more tailored in cut and consistent in sizing. In fact I needed to replace several pair of Levis 527 that barely lasted two years before either fading out and/or tearing at the crotch seam. Even after careful wear and wash habits I can't get more than two years with any Levis. With the Bitton you pay more per denim but the will last long and look good for years.

I bought four pairs of King X Slim Boot this Fall 2014 season with two pairs of Six X Slim Straight and I'm very happy.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fit, Price and Function makes this a great jacket!, September 23, 2014
I didn't know how popular and well reviewed this jacket when I picked it up last summer at Burlington Coat Factory in NYC for a mere $29.99 USD.

I only needed a rain coat to wear to work over business attire during my Autumn season commute. The only rain proof pieces I had in my closet are $500+ alpine mountaineering Gore-Tex Pro Shell 3-Layer jackets (like the Arcteryx Alpha SV) that, at my age, have become too flashy and cumbersome to wear daily.

Along came this Helly Hansen Seven J. Its simplicity and brilliant fit is what won me before I even saw the price tag was not $100+ USD but a measly $29.99. Even at the retail of $100 this jacket is worth buying over pricier fare from Patagucci and North Face. It is simple, well tailored and does what it needs to do by keeping you dry and warm without the unnecessary frills and fancy.

POSITIVES:

Simple and easy to wear- this may not make sense to many but outdoors folk will understand me when I say many modern day rain jackets makers and brands do too many extra things on their jackets to make you want to buy them for copious amounts of cash. frills and fads come before fit and function. However with the 7 J you get one smooth main zipper (no annoying zipper pull trims), two deep mesh lined outer pockets that zip close, and one deep interior velcro-closure pocket. In addition you'll get a 3-way adjusting brimmed hood that is well sized. There are no fancy logo's, no contrasting stitching, no fancy tech jargon, no excess frills, no tattoo art, etc. on this jacket

Storm Flaps! - I miss storm flaps on rain coats. Not many jacket makers use them (looking at you Marmot/North Face/Patagucci) anymore in order to shed weight. But storm flaps are EFFECTIVE! It is almost like removing the driver's seat from your race car to make it lighter on the racetrack. Storm flaps here are velcro-closed so you can quickly close up the jacket to keep out a cold breeze when going from your car to the front door without having to fumble with a zipper. In addition it also makes the 7 J impenetrable to rain when rain comes at you sideways!

Articulated Sleeves - I have never paid under $300 for a rain jacket or any jacket for that matter that had this rare function of allowing you to use your arms in a 360 degree range of motion. Here the 7 J allows you to lift your hands above your head and fully rotate them around without the jacket's torso bunching up and hem lifting above your hips. Most jacket tend to ride up, bunch up or simply not allow you to move your arms above your head at all. This was a very nice surprise to find on a sub-$100 purchase.

Helly Hansen Weatherproof Guarantee - This company makes good rain wear and the 7 J lives up to that. It is very well waterproof and storm proof (meaning your face, head and neck can also be protected in foul weather. There are no pit zips (which can leak) and the velcro-closure storm flap system does well to keep water from getting through the main zipper. The pockets also have tiny storm flaps over them so water shouldn't get in.

Value and Price- I paid $29.99 for this item but even at $100+ this jacket is very well priced for what it offers. It is that good! It is well constructed and will last you for years! I'm in my 30s and I have Helly Hansen rain pants and other hiking clothing in my gear closet from when I was in my early teen years. Just remember NEVER use liquid detergents and fabric softners on rain wear. It will destroy the outer DWR treatment and ruin the synthetic nylon/poly fabric underneath. Use only powdered detergents or Nikwax.

THINGS OF CONCERN:

Weight - this is not going to be a good jacket for 3 season hiking or outdoor pursuits where pack weight and limitations are vital. The 7 J is bulky and much heavier than regular Alpine GoreTex jackets. It is also advertised as pack-able but there are no stow pockets on it nor does it come with a stuff sack. The best you can do is roll it up in the hood and cinch it down to the size of a football. Most alpine jacket cinch and stow to the size of an apple or grapefuit to give you a comparison.

Sizing - I usually wear medium in clothing. I'm a 38R chest, 5'9"/150lbs and the Small in this 7 J jacket fit me excellent. Going by the size of the small I can only guess that the Medium would have been down to my knees. Also many online video reviews show that this jacket is supposed to fit overly big to allow lots of layers underneath. I don't wear my clothing that big whether off and on the trail and having the size Small fit me exact is good for me. I can wear either two thick or three thinner base layers underneath with room for full motion left over.

Fabric - While the inner lining (2 Layer) is a fully seam sealed waterproof polyamide the outer fabric is not the best weave for a rain jacket. Sure it is DWR treated but it is a thicker nylon/poly weave (almost like Cordura) which means once the DWR wears away with time the fabric will soak on the outside until treated again. This soaking is especially bad with the fabric along the cuff, hemline and storm flap. Even so the jacket will remain waterproof but when it rain the soaked outside will stifle the breathable making you sweat inside and increase the weight of the jacket as you were it in the rain. This is probably how the cost is kept low on this jacket but all that means is good care will take it a long way. Absolutely No Liquid Detergents or fabric softeners when washing and only use powdered or Nikwax detergents.

That Mesh and Fabric Inside Lining - This is the lining that goes next to your body or skin. In the hood and torso it is net mesh, on the sleeves it is a polyester fabric (like the shiny material you find on the inside of an old school purse or cheap handbag). I never like this style of lining on a rain jacket. It does absolutely nothing in terms of weather protection and slightly anything for wear comfort. The mesh net on the inside of hood and torso is actually a good thing since this is where rain can get to easier and rain can soak into easier. The net mesh shouldn't soak anything but the sleeve nylon/polyester fabric lining can and will soak up water if you are not careful to cinch down the cuffs. This used to be a big flaw with the original classic North Face Mountain Light jackets from the 1990s.

Once the DWR wore off the cuffs, storm flaps and hem will soak up water which would migrate into the fabric lining next to your skin. Or rather the depleted DWR would leave the jacket outer layer soggy killing breathability. Once that happened you would sweat right into the fabric lining which would get wet and stay cold against your skin.

All said and done as long as you care for the DWR treatment this jacket is a 5 star piece that will last long enough for your grand children's grand children to wear!

Helly Hansen Men's Seven J Jacket
Helly Hansen Men's Seven J Jacket
Price: $74.99 - $113.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity, Good Price and Great Function Equals this Awesome jacket!, September 23, 2014

POSITIVES:

THINGS OF CONCERN:

Rush by Gordon Rush Men's Wellman Oxford
Rush by Gordon Rush Men's Wellman Oxford
Price: $119.99 - $149.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Not made in Italy but decent deal, September 19, 2014
For some reason the Gordon Rush website, the shoe box description and the sole markings (as well as the original retail pricing) make you think these are hand made in Italy by an American/Californian designer. They are made in China and are definately not worth more than $99. Worse some webstores want between $200 to $500 for these shoes. I got three pairs in three colors and slightly different styles at Burlington Coat Factory in New York for $59 each.

Pros:
- Well designed shoes- The classic oxford shape and look is stunning. The brogue detailing, stitching and wood sole are quality. As a result the shoes actually look hand made. I work at a law firm where Partners wear $5,000 shoes on a daily basis and I've gotten compliments from them on my Rush shoes.

-Leather is good quality- On all pairs it smells, creases and folds like good leather. The stain work is also excellent as far as I can tell.

-Comfortable- Two of the three pairs have a spongy rubber footbed somewhere in between the wood under soles and leather stitched insoles and it feels great. The third pair I bought "The Lionel" has an all wood hard sole and are not as comfortable but still more comfy than other sub $200 oxfords (especially Kenneth Cole/Aldos/Cole Haan) I've worn.

Cons:
-Sizing- These are way off. I usually wear between a USA 10.5 and 11 or EU 44 but I got my Rush Oxords in USA 10 for an exact fit. I could have even went down to 9.5. The thing is these fit long and very narrow. I have narrow and drama-free feet so I lucked out with this brand. If you have wide feet a size bigger than you normally wear will fit more comfortable but the shoe will look long.

-Quality and long term durability- Gordon Rush has two lines of shoes; His top shelf Italian/USA handmade namesake line that retails between $400 to $600 and his cheaper Chinese Factory-made $100 to $400 RUSH by Gordon Rush line. The Gordon Rush shoes here on Amazon's site, at nordstrom rack, Burlington Coat Factory and other budget retailers are the cheap RUSH shoes. This may create confusion in some who think they are saving hundreds of dollars paying $100+ sale price for Italian made Gordon Rush shoes when they are in fact only buying RUSH shoes.

That said I've only been with my RUSH shoes a few months and I don't wear them daily. I've noticed some of the stitching is faux and probably glued. After reading many reviews saying soles have come off unexpectedly after less than 10 wears I won't be suprised if it happens to me. However I won't discard them. These shoes still look too good and would definitely be worth the money to professionally resole them. Heck after paying $59 I couldn't really complain.

Rockport Men's Charson Lace-Up Boot,Dark Tan,10.5 M US
Rockport Men's Charson Lace-Up Boot,Dark Tan,10.5 M US
Price: $70.00
2 used & new from $64.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Minor gripes aside these are great boots! Here is why I bought 2 more pairs..., May 22, 2014
I was very skeptical on buying these chukkas the first time I held them in my hand at a local DSW last september(2013). I loved the tan color but the thin leather upper and ultra light foam soles did not look durable and weatherproof. Fast forward to mid Jan (2014) I am in the same DSW and happened upon a last pair in my size 10.5M on sale ($60). Our winter here was snowy and frigid so I needed ankle high 'dressy' shoe/boots for work and the tan color fit right in wih both my professional (and casual) apparel. I tried them on and the comfort sold me. Although I was still a skeptic of the foam sole and pleatherlike uppers.

After 4+ months of daily wear in one of the most brutal North East winters ever here is my take and the reason I just bought two more pairs from Amazon ($65 each).

PROS-

Out the box the upper leather is smooth and looks pleather-like when these Charsons are new BUT as you wear them the texture improves to look genuine and rich as you would expect from a top brand. The Amazon stock pictures that show a textured leather look is what you will get after a couple of wears.

These are the most comfortable dress shoe/boot/chukka I've ever worn. You can run a marathon with these and not realize a difference from an actual running shoe. Adidas procures the 'neoprene' sole for the Charson so much credit goes to them. I believe the relationship here makes for a more comfortable shoe than the heavier Cole Haan Nike Air products.

The upper leather is not waterproof (I believe) but it is treated to be very water resistant always drying quickly before any droplets soak thru. I've had dried feet thru every snow blizzard and rain shower this winter.

Price - At $60+ you can't beat the value in these shoes. Even if they don't last beyond two years they are still a good deal. I would not pay the $180 original retail on these but at $60 to $90 you cannot go wrong.

CONS-

These Charsons have a slight Jekyll and Hyde complex. If you wear them with a nice pair of dark tan or earth colored kahkis or dark navy blue designer denim these shoes look damn good. Wear them with your Grand Pa's baggy Wrangler/Lee dungarees or battleship grey slacks and they quickly look like orthopedic construction workboots.

I also tried on the black Charson and those are worse for looks because the upper leather is black (which is fine) but the sole is the same no-color brown foam thing as found on the tan Charsons. Futhermore the biege stitching found in between the sole and uppers will have your peers asking where you got your doc martin rip offs from.

About the foam sole thing. Yes it will look very cheap if you don't keep them clean but they 'look' fine if you take care of them. The issue is the bark brown color of the foam and stitched trim make them look like hard rubber/wood soles from first glance. Look closer and you soon see the foam material for what it actually is and it throws it all off. Hold them in your hands and the lightness of the foam automatically registers as being budget kmart orthopedics.

On the flip side the foam makes these very light and comfortable so it is a love hate thing all the way.

Concerning durabilty - the reason I bought two more pairs is I have a strong feeling the foam soles will wear down rather quickly. So far it is now mid May 2014 and mine has not shown much wear at the bottom but I've been walking on wet pavement, rain, snow and ice all winter/spring so I can't comment on dry pavement mileage but I have a strong feeling this is going to be a con-that the foam soles will grind down to nonexistance before the upper leather properly wrinkles.

These are NOT warm shoes. I've been wearing them with wool socks and thermal sock liners and I can feel the cold on my toes on the 30+ degree days. Don't buy them for winter boot duty if you do a lot of standing around outside in the cold.

The toe box is on the roomy side. I could have sized down by 1/2 a size for an exact fit but I realized the benefits of a having a bit of room to comfortably add thick wool socks. I don't plan on wearing these in summer weather with thin dress socks. This is a con for most folks looking for a precise fit so I mention it here but for me it actually worked out since I can wear two socks at once.

The shoe laces are a real pain to keep tied. Even double knotted ties come loose. The reason seems to be the laces are coated with beeswax or some sort of weatherproofing treatment so they are stiff, slippery and will come loose. I plan on replacing the laces with softer ones soon.

Minor gripes aside I have a lot of praise for these shoes. They look good (if worn right), they fit in with formal, business or casual clothing and thanks to Addidas you can walk all day in these without any foot fatigue.

Outdoor Research Dry Peak Bagger, Supernova/Ember
Outdoor Research Dry Peak Bagger, Supernova/Ember
Offered by sunny-sports
Price: $65.00
7 used & new from $50.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item that sets a new standard for ALL day packs!, May 22, 2014
I am still amazed that this type of non-pvc waterproof daypack is a novelty. Just the idea of a waterproof daypack (that can be submerged underwater) alone is amazing! The dry peak bagger should have been around since the advent of waterproof jackets decades ago.

In fact the Dry Peak feels like someone took a light waterproof rain shell cut it up and restitched the panels with taped seams into a daypack.

It is completely waterproof on paper but how does the Dry Peak fare in the outdoors?

I needed a daypack for an weeklong kayaking/caving excursion that involved being in or under water from 5 to 7 hours a day. In the past we used heavy duty roll top PVC water stuff sacks inside regular daypacks. What the PVC-free dry peak does is replace both bags with one lighter waterproof pack that can be worn all times.

The first thing I noticed was the dry peak looks much smaller than the stated 25 Liter capacity. It looks like an 18 Liter pack and at 9 ounces weighs less than the hipbelts (just the hipbelt) found on most 25 Liter backpacks.

When unrolled and opened you will see about 25% of the 25 Liters is in the extension part at the top of the bag. Also when stuffed the fabric along side of the pack has a bit of a stretch to it. So when rolled shut with less than 25 Liters of stuff in it the bag is very managable.

PROS:

-Yes this bag is Waterproof as far as I can tell from my time with it. When rolled up tightly no water gets in the lid nor soaks thru the fabric. It is not a pvc fabric just a nylon/polyester blend that is stitched with taped seams and coated on both the inside and outside with dwr/waterproofing treatment. The thin transparent coating feels durable and does not seem at all prone to wearing out. Remeber DO NOT wash this bag with liquid soaps and fabric softerners. ONLY use basic powdered detergents and/or Nikwax. Anything else will delete the waterproofing.

-Price! Weight! Size! At $65 retail ($40 to $50 on sale) this bag is a bargain. The closest and perhaps only competitor to the Dry Peak , the SeaToSummit 24L Carve, carries less, Weighs 3x more and cost almost 3x more at $160. That is all I will say on that. They are also sub-$100 other roll top backpacks by Henri Lloyd and Helly Hansen that are designed for Yatching but maybe uncomfortable for active outdoor pursuits.

-When not underwater the Dry Peak makes for a cool hiking day pack. The color is great. It is light and holds enough items for a casual day trek in 3-season conditions.

-The black hypalon loops down the front sides are useful for attaching a bungee cord or shoe laces to hold items on the outside of the bag.

-While there are no dedicated side compression straps and waist belt the roll top anchor straps that run up the sides CAN also serve as a compression strap OR waist belt. It may not be obvious at first but it works.

-Other roll tops have been called out for not keeping watertight rolls when the bags were partially full to empty. Here I did not find that to be the case. In fact the Dry Peak can be completely empty and rolled closed to seal in air for use as a floatation device. Sounds funny but it actually works.

CONS*-

*These are not really cons for me but aspects of the pack that may bother some folks that have different needs from me.

-Fabric is very thin and lightweight. I do not recommend this pack for winter ventures, climbing OR carrying anything sharp (like ice tools) and anything heavy (like your old Coleman stove or Law School textbooks). I also don't recommend stuffing this pack to the capacity. It looks like a potato when stuffed and wear comfort and swag is completely lost.

-The result of the thin fabric is this pack loses shape (or rather takes the shape of the contents) when packed. I remedied this easily by inserting a large lightweight padded Fed Ex envelope inside along the back wall. Now the pack always keep shape (when not stuffed) and I have an extra 'padded' compartment for storing an ipad or papers.

-No hydration pocket. Not an issue for me since they are many ways around that.

-No internal pockets for small items.

-Shoulder straps and back wall are not padded. As a result you may not want to stuff this pack down with heavy items for long day hikes. The fabric being light and thin obviously hints not to do that.

-There is a second, fairly large and deep, outer compartment that is zippered with a waterproof zipper. If not zipped all the way water WILL get in to that compartment. I made this mistake too many times because for one the zip is stiff and sort of stops before closing. You have to tug it an extra bit to get it to close.

-There is a front tunnel pocket that seems to be for an ice axe or ski poles. Not sure what it is for exactly and I haven't figured out what to do with it in regards to waterbased or day hiking activities. I would have really wanted a zippered mesh pocket instead.

OVER ALL - if you leave the kitchen sink home and want the most out of one 25L daypack for all your 3 season endeavors whether on water or land I highly recommend this pack. I'm looking forward to more variations and bigger versions of the dry peak bags from OR.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2014 2:47 PM PDT