Profile for Brooke the 3rd > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 25

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brooke the 3rd RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Ten Days to Self-Esteem
Ten Days to Self-Esteem
by David D. Burns
Price: $11.41
187 used & new from $1.24

5.0 out of 5 stars The most useful self-help book I've ever read., November 25, 2013
This is a great workbook on cognitive distortions. I recommend it wholeheartedly. It isn't just for self-esteem, I'd call that a side-effect. It will help you challenge and counter your darkest thoughts, diminish their effect on your thinking and help you to have a more balanced perspective on life's real challenges.

I know, I sound like a brochure but this book has helped me out of some dark pits. Once, after losing my job. The second time, after my Dad died. It makes you work, it will take longer than 10 days - but you will start to feel better almost immediately - and it will teach you some crazy stuff about how your mind really works.

I think everyone should do some cognitive distortion work, we're really good at beating ourselves up without asking enough questions about why. Try it, it'll change you.

Anne Klein Women's Missy Yoke Skirt, Midnight Sky, 10
Anne Klein Women's Missy Yoke Skirt, Midnight Sky, 10

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the fabric, fit, length, November 25, 2013
At 5'8" this hits 1" inch above my knees. The yoked waist is very comfortable for straight figures (narrower hips, wider waists) and sits a little below the belly button. The fabric is a smooth, tight-woven, mid-to-heavy weight fabric that is listed as a polyester blend but feels like a good cotton.

This is my favorite skirt and I have it in Midnight Sky. The Midnight Sky is a very dark navy. I like it because I like the weight of the fabric, the fit - it runs a little larger around the waist and sits below the belly button, and the color.

b.tempt'd by Wacoal Women's Express Yourself Underwire Bra, Natural/Vanilla Ice, 36D

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, supportive (for 38D) and cute, November 25, 2013
These b.tempt'd Express Yourself bras are really cute. They are demi-cups without being too low cut - so they look good under thinner shirts. I think the Natural/Vanilla bra is more comfortable than the Night/Vanilla because the fabric is different - it seems softer and smoother to me. At any rate, all of the colors are quite cute and the fit is slightly more elastic (= more comfortable) than Jezebel. I wear a 38D and the support was fine.

True Religion Women's Avery High Rise Straight Leg Jean In Starlight Wash, APAD Starlight, 29

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fit for a "straight" figure. Avoids the muffin top!, November 25, 2013
These are my new favorite jeans for feel and fit. They are made for my figure - I have a pretty straight figure, my hips are slightly narrower than average. No muffin top and the waist is not too high or too low. The denim is great - just the right amount of stretch; the fit is flattering, the fabric doesn't sag. I am 5'8" and they are just the right length.

In short, these jeans were perfect for me.

The Laundress  Wool & Cashmere   Shampoo, Cedar, 16 - Ounce Bottle
The Laundress Wool & Cashmere Shampoo, Cedar, 16 - Ounce Bottle
Price: $18.99
10 used & new from $18.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Softer, lighter, prettier sweaters, November 25, 2013
Not many products live up to the hype, this one does. My sweaters are now softer, lighter and smell great. Cashmere and wool alike are improved. I started by washing an old cashmere sweater than I had previously dry cleaned. It changed the texture of the fabric, making it smoother and softer. I have since washed 7 sweaters and they have all improved in texture and smell. I love my dry cleaner - they are top notch - but this product has won me over.

Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress - Queen Size - Custom Comfort - Ask Chuck
Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress - Queen Size - Custom Comfort - Ask Chuck
Offered by Dreamfoam Bedding
Price: $1,299.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Normal, comfortable bed! Great support, better sleep., December 16, 2012
First of all, I wanted to add my vote in support of this mattress.

Second, I want to add a note of reassurance. Buying sight-unseen can be stressful, especially when the negative ads are a bit extreme. In negative reviews the medium-level mattresses were described variously as "mushy" or "hard as a rock" or mushy on top and then hard as a rock when you sink down. Whatever. The thing is: there's nothing controversial about the mattress. It is a normal mattress with some transient form-fitting (very little). It's like a decent Posturepedic with slightly Tempurpedic feel.

Third, this bed helped me sleep. I bought a level 6. I am a side-sleeper and I had some joint pain (shoulders, hips and knees) that was most noticeable when lying down. But I wasn't looking for relief, we just needed a new mattress. Surprisingly, over the space of a week, the joint pain went away and my sleep improved; I don't take Advil before going to bed anymore! Also, the Tempur-Pedic-like form-fitting means I don't turn over as much, I sleep more soundly and I need less sleep. (To be fair, it is a little harder to turn over on this mattress - but nothing like the Tempur-Pedic, which has NO bounce.)

Fourth, the mattress arrives in a box that is a few inches shorter and at least a foot narrower than the final size. Once you take the wrapping off, it puffs up. The mattress takes 24-48 hours to get to it's final shape but I didn't see much change after the first hour and just slept on it the first night.

It's lighter than the average mattress, there wasn't any odor. Delivery is part of the price but they don't take away your mattress. (Junk King took away my old mattress for their minimum fee.)

Finally, customer service was proactive, prompt and to the point. No run-around, you are talking to a real person with a brain. Nice.

Introduction to Probability Models, Tenth Edition
Introduction to Probability Models, Tenth Edition
by Sheldon M. Ross
Price: $92.10
108 used & new from $17.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough, readable, well-structured text with a good balance of theory and practice, July 23, 2012
This book is best for those with some exposure to probability and statistics. If you've had science courses that used probability but you've never actually taken a probability course, then this book could be perfect.
In my opinion, this text provides a strong foundation. It makes books like All of Statistics: A Concise Course in Statistical Inference (Springer Texts in Statistics), easier to use and harder to abuse.

Pros:
- Clarity: There are no missing steps in the math, you don't have to doodle in the margins to derive the next equation.
- Mathematical ease: This is calculus-based probability but the calculus is not difficult and the algebra is crystal clear.
- Completeness: The book clearly presents core concepts concisely; it is not telegraphic. You will be introduced to probability distributions, conditional probability, Markov models, queuing theory, stochastic processing and methods for simulating distributions.
- Theory: The text mentions or proves relevant theorems at the rate of 1 every 10 pages. The proofs were simple and the theorems are crucial - for introductory texts, that counts as theory for me.
- Examples: There are many good examples that make it more memorable.
- Structure: Overall, I thought the structure was good. As a novice, I particularly liked the 2nd chapter on random variables - a clean approach to various probability distributions, their parameters and functions. As a scientist, I was grateful for the clear introduction to queues and stochastic processes.

Other reviewers have complained about structure and, since this doesn't really make sense, I am guessing that it comes from failed expectations. This is not a introduction to statistics. You won't find the Wald test, Bayesian testing, Pearson's chi-squared, a likelihood ratio test or any other workaday statistical test. If that is what you want, then go to "All of Statistics" (see above).

Cons:
- Graphics (or lack thereof): I could have used more figures. Out of curiosity, I wrote a program to see probability density functions for different parameters and variables. Markov chains without actual transition diagrams seemed odd.
- Odd-man-out chapters: I didn't really understand the inclusion of the Reliability chapter (probably just me).
- Redundant/simple examples: For example, the Renewal chapter had near identical examples(in one, lightbulbs blown out, in another, batteries depleted) but nothing more compelling - what about evolution?? Mutation is a Poisson process, but sometimes the mutation creates a selective sweep which is a renewal process, so what kind of process is evolution? Horse kicks are Poisson but if you replace the horse every time it kicks someone, then that's renewal. So what's the likelihood of a horse kick with renewal? I would have enjoyed some more complicated examples.

Nitpicking aside, I thought this was a great book.

ASICS Women's Thermopolis LT Capri,Iron,Large
ASICS Women's Thermopolis LT Capri,Iron,Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Run large, comfy, light, June 29, 2012
These light, comfortable capris do not bind around the knee - this was my main criteria.
-They are light and cool, good for summer runs.
-I was surprised by how large they are - I ordered a large and I am a true 12 and they are a little loose. Useable.
-My experience, unlike another reviewer, is that they do ride up.
-"Iron" is a nice dark gray.
-The pocket is one of those little key pouches, no zip, not that useful.

The One Hundred: A Guide to the Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own
The One Hundred: A Guide to the Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own
by Nina Garcia
Price: $16.98
192 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars so wrong, so much fun, so impractical., June 27, 2012
Seriously - I need a Blackberry? A caftan? A camel and fur coats - in Texas? "But the Southern states, my dear, they're so passe. We only cater to people with taste, the people who must survive hideous weather in, say, Connecticut."

I have 4 problems with this book.
1. The suggestions are not "classics" but, like the Blackberry, are already out of style. Or, do you think you need an iPod?
2. The side bars are either absurd or unnerving - her favorite sites include perezhilton.com, her only recommended watches are Cartier, Rolex and Jaegr-LeCoultre. This in a country where people line up and stand overnight for free dental care.
3. The suggestions include clothes that are more insanely expensive than I thought possible. Verdura cuffs - only $38,000! I feel like Lewis Black, I may have a heart attack, not because they're so expensive but BECAUSE VERDURA CUFFS ARE UGLY! THEY'RE UGLY! It's like every misogynist in the world now has something to point to as proof that women are stupid. "Look, Verdura Cuffs - and Nina says they're a must have! That is, if you can afford them." Omigod, shoot me now, we're lost, the glass ceiling is there for a reason.
4. Finally, I just draw the line at Espadrilles. What are they? They are usually high heels with a wedge made of cord sewn into cloth. They are the soul of ugliness but there are genius designers that have made them look cute. It's just wrong.

So, those are the problems. But there's another, worse difficulty. The book grows on you. It opens your eyes to beautiful clothes you never knew existed. It makes you want to spend your 401K. It makes you dream about selling AAPL before it hits 600 (again). It gets under your skin and makes you think about owning 100 items each with prices around $1000. Yes, you could sell your house. Who needs shelter when you have clothes? And who needs food ever again? That bikini is worth it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2012 5:08 PM PDT

Gaspari Nutrition MyoFusion With Hydrolysate, Delicious Vanilla, 2-Pound
Gaspari Nutrition MyoFusion With Hydrolysate, Delicious Vanilla, 2-Pound

5.0 out of 5 stars Omigod this is delicious!!, June 27, 2012
Best tasting protein powder ever. Add Greek yogurt and strawberries, add only milk or just add water. It's all good. The drink gets smoother, creamier and more delicious the longer it blends. Incredibly filling.

One (1) scoop is 147 calories and that gets you 69.4 grams of protein.

The downside - the gigantic blue bottle is half full and yields 25+ scoops. I need to order more - I can go through the bottle in a month - but it's worth every penny.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3