Profile for Dwayne Hicks - 3/22/14 till Gears 3 on Xbox One > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 47

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dwayne Hicks - 3/22/14 till Gears 3 on Xbox One RSS Feed (Tina Fey's Hometown)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Gears of War: Judgment
Gears of War: Judgment
Offered by Games America
Price: $13.97
84 used & new from $5.92

3.0 out of 5 stars A bare bones entry to the series, March 28, 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Gears of War 3 was the game I played the most this gen between Beast, Horde, King of the Hill and Team Deathmatch I put hundreds of hours in the game. I do not like some of the changes made in Judgment but some of these 1 star reviews are a little overboard.

Single Player - A let down after the epic well paced action packed campaign of 3. The entire campaign feels like Arcade mode every 5 mins you get a star rating and a new declassify mission. The problem is even arcade mode in part 3 was done better. The declassify missions are a great idea but basically are required to get the full three stars on any given mission. It really changes how I would normally play and wouldn't be bad if it was an occasional option but there is literally a new one ever 5 mins in the game. The story is lost with the new mission structure and Cole and Baird's characters barely say anything. There is no more funny banter between the characters. The new characters add nothing to the game and are generic foot soldiers. If you enjoy gears gameplay there is still fun to be had and the graphics are pretty awesome but the single player campaign overall is def a let down.

Multi Player - This is where I spent the most time with Gears 3. I feel like the game spoiled me even without a season pass there was Beast, Horde, and many different competitive MP modes to play and lots of maps, King of the Hill being my fav. Judgment's MP offering is extremely bare bones. There are 4 modes Overrun which is Horde with other player controlling the Locust against class based COG players. This mode is pretty fun and would have been a great addition to what had been offered in Gears 3 instead it is the backbone of the entire MP offering and lacking just like the rest of the game. The main prob is there are only 4 maps in the mode that the devs showcased and touted before and after release of the game. I dont get it if this was the devs big addition to the series why short change it with 4 maps. I feel like they are basically forcing gamers to buy the season pass (annoying). Most matches basically play out the same way and with only four maps the mode doesn't have that lasting power.

Survival mode which is supposed to replace Horde had big shoes to fill. Horde is basically the survival mode that all other games try to replicate. Well I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record here but this is also lacking. IT IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS OVERRUN except you fight against AI controlled locust. Same 4 maps and objectives.

So if I get sick of playing Overrun I can play Overrun again (survival) or two other modes Free for All and Domination. Which are as generic as it gets with online MP. Also those modes only have 4 maps between them.

There have been some changes to MP gameplay as well I dont really want to dwell on them because they are basically just preference some I like others I dont. I really dont understand why FFA and Domination are COG vs. COG though doesn't make sense to me, It isn't a big deal and doesn't effect my score of the game I just think its a weird design choice.

Overall I enjoy the Gears gameplay so I have had some fun with this game. I know the overall tone of my review is negative, but the game is a let down especially after how awesome I think Gears 3 is. If you are getting this for the campaign I would wait for a $24.99 price point. If you are planning on playing MP I would wait until the game and season pass purchase total is under $60. It seems like you have to buy the season pass to get the game that should have been available at launch.

Aliens: Colonial Marines - Playstation 3
Aliens: Colonial Marines - Playstation 3
Offered by Outlet Promotions
Price: $11.46
106 used & new from $2.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Graphics OK, Story Awful, March 11, 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I am a huge fan of Aliens and thought this game was below average in terms of gameplay and and absolute joke in terms of story. I knew about the terrible reviews and tried to wait for a cheaper price but couldnt resist at just under $40.

The graphics aren't as bad as some people and pro reviews led me to believe. They def arent good but better than a game like Left 4 Dead. The lighting is good and unless you are inspecting the walls and looking for bad graphics they wont jump out at you most of the time.

The Alien AI also isnt as bad as the pro reviews led me to believe. Basically at range the Aliens jumped around moved from wall to wall and were generally tough to hit up close though is when they basically walk towards you. There were plenty of times though when I would be battling Aliens and one or two would pop up out of the floor behind me or out of the ceiling. Of course there were times when they would crawl by you or get stuck in a wall something like that.

The pulse rifle sound is good and there is decent customization.

My issues with the game are there are long sections when you fight people. This was prob the most annoying part of the gameplay as early as I think Chap 2 you are fighting people. This is an Aliens game and i'd say its 50/50 the levels and battles against people and Aliens and that is a major mistake by the developers.

Ok now to the story which before release was touted as cannon in the Aliens series. My god I hope it isnt cause the story for this game is horrible, and makes the AVP movies in terms of story look like the Godfather. There is a ton of stuff at the end that makes no sense and isnt explained at all and while the cut scene graphics are OK most of the time in the game there is a cameo at the end that has one of the worst character renders and laughable graphics I have ever seen. I am not kidding as a fan of the films the story was insulting that they would try and pass it off on me.

Multiplayer is OK nothing special, everything works matchmaking and all that its just not very fun.

This game was a major let down the graphics are OK and really the least of this games probs the story is really terrible and if this is really cannon in the Alien series I guess the franchise is dead.

Kinect Sensor with Kinect Adventures!
Kinect Sensor with Kinect Adventures!
Offered by HALF TIME
Price: $131.99
160 used & new from $34.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Awesome when it works, December 3, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I have had a Kinect for about 3 weeks now and have mixed feelings. I got one preowned for $40 so at that price I think it was a good value, but at the regular retail of $100 or more I think it would be a let down.

When first booting up Kinect Adventures it is immediately impressive what you can do it is not until playing with two people for an extended period of time you experience its shortcomings.

I am playing at 6/7 fee away from the Kinect and per the calibration I have placed the sensor a little low but don't feel like reorganizing my entire entertainment center to accommodate a gaming accessory I use occasionally. I feel the space requirements are unrealistic and too specific.

The tracking two people at once while jumping ducking running and dancing is kind of buggy. Often while playing Kinect Adventures one person will get lost by kinect and than have to try an relocate them which is fine at first but gets annoying after a while. I also have Dance Central 3 which is the best dance game out when it works. It feels like the arm movements are very accurate but the leg movements seem to be hit or miss. The menus are terrible to try an navigate just using Kinect so it requires a controller which kind of defeats the purpose of a Kinect only game. I also have Forza Horizon which allows you to voice control you GPS system and responds to a few voice commands and that works really well for me. You don't need to yell at it just speak and my sensor responds which is cool.

Overall I feel happy with my purchase of Kinect at $40 I would not recommend a full retail purchase though there is just not enough content and value to warrant it.

Round 5 Dan Henderson Variant Figure Flag
Round 5 Dan Henderson Variant Figure Flag
Offered by Sports N' More
Price: $14.99
3 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Hendo, October 30, 2012
Dan is the man. This figure has good weight to it and the details on the on face are really good. Very well made and I am happy with the purchase.

Panasonic TC-P58S2 58-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV
Panasonic TC-P58S2 58-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV

1.0 out of 5 stars 10 red blinks got me too, February 14, 2012
After reading a lot of these reviews I see a common thread people who have had the TV for 2 weeks to a month are very happy as I was.

Anybody posting a review after a year and a half is posting about the TV breaking, which is exactly what happened to me. Panasonic's response to my $1,000 TV dying just 45 days outside of a 1 year warranty has not been satisfactory. They want me to pay almost $400 (maybe more) in repairs than they will review my case to reimburse me "a portion" of the repair bill. I get it things happen but I will just choose to never purchase a Panasonic product again.

If you want your TV to last more than a year and a half I would not buy this TV. As other reviewers have stated just do some research and Panasonic Plasma blinking lights of death, and dont end up in the same boat as me.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - Playstation 3
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - Playstation 3
Offered by DealTavern
Price: $25.23
342 used & new from $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A step down from UC2 - Updated, November 3, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
It kind of hurts me to post this review.I loved UC2 it was and still to this day is my favorite game of all time. I did not expect UC3 to top UC2 but I did not expect a step back. I put about 8 days of time online and have the platinum trophy for UC2 so I feel I am qualified to offer a fair comparison of the two games.

I have not yet completed UC3's campaign which in itself is a sign right there I'm at chapter 9. UC2's campaign I completed in acouple days and had no urge to play any other game. I have been playing this and Infamous 2's new DLC Festival of Blood and Gears of War 3, about the same amount of time since getting my UC3 delivery.

It seems like through the first 5 levels or so they were still doing like tutorials of gameplay mechanics. The game is taking too long for the real story action set pieces to begin. Sort of surprising for the the 3rd game in a series.

The beefed up melee is nice in theory but uses almost the exact same mechanics as the Batman Arkham games, but they are not as polished. A nice touch though are some context specific attacks like for example I pushed a guy up against a kitchen counter and Drake picked up the pot an bashed the guy on the head.

The game seems slightly glitchy. My first game of co-op adventure I glitched throught the floor and had to quit. I also have gotten stuck on the ring spinning screen and, gotten stuck in a wall during single player. I never had any of this happen in part 2 even though I know some glitches in multiplayer could be exploited it never happened to me during regular play.

I have about 8 hours total in multiplayer so far in UC3 and it has some nice modes and I like the customization of the characters which is awesome. The actual gameplay itself though does not seem as fun. The shooting seem slightly less accurate even after I tweeked the sensitivity settings. In co-op survival I miss the heavies that appear with the gatling gun they have been replaced with beefed up versions of the guys who grab you till they break your neck, and you have to shoot the helmet off and they still cannot be melee'd. The objective based games are much better and more balanced the switching objectives works very well, but the co-op survival has taken a step back.

I dont want to be overly critical of the game cause it is still awesome and def a good purchase, also I just might need to go through an adjustment period but I am slightly disapointed so far. I will be updating this review once I complete the campaign.

UPDATE: I completed the campaign acouple days ago and have played more multiplayer. I did not change my 4 star rating, and still feel the game is a slight step down from UC2. The campaign has some jaw dropping moments and is a good campaign but something felt off the pacing or the action but just didnt seem to flow as well as UC2 hard to explain and dont let that stop you from buying this game. Just a preference thing not a knock against this game.

Multiplayer overall is a better package in UC3 there is improved matchmaking, and more modes. Team Objective is my favorite it consists of team games of king of the hill deathmatch and others which change mid match and team that get gets three victories in those modes wins the match and Co-Op adventure is awesome fun playing though short campaign snippets with two other players and which get very very very challenging on crushing difficulty.

Co-Op Survival and Team deathmatch have taken a step back IMHO, Survival's enemies are not as fun to take down as they were in UC2. Team deathmatch now is kinda cheap with power plays which punish a winning team and give advantages to the losing team. I just play hardcore now which has no kick backs or power plays.

Overall UC3 is a great game. Must buy if you own a PS3, but make sure you play UC2 as well.

Gears of War 3
Gears of War 3
Offered by kiddie world
Price: $11.95
434 used & new from $2.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Delivers on every level, September 26, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Gears of War 3 (Video Game)
I was not a huge fan of the part 1 and 2 of the series. I liked them but felt they were overhyped. This game is amazing and deserves all the hype its getting. I am halfway through the campaign and about 18 hours deep in online play.

So far the campaign is easily the best in the series and very entertaining and varied. The characters while pretty memorable from the first two games were not very much more than cardboard cutouts. In this game the characters have a little more depth and you get some pretty interesting backstory on them. I have not been able to enjoy campaign co-op yet but imagine it will be a blast this time 4 players can co-op in the campaign, and awesome upgrade from the first two games.

I was not expecting to love the multiplayer, but so far it has been flawless, except for one small prob. Team Deathmatch and King of the Hill which is basically capture the flag are both well executed here because of the amazing weapon balancing and awesome map designs. There has not been one time when I felt like I got killed by some cheap tactic that the other player was exploiting so far the game has been extremely fun and fair the shot guns are deadly at close range but the lancers are also deadly at distance. I did not participate in the beta but it looks like Epic did and awesome job utilizing feedback they got from it.

Horde 2.0 and Beast Mode are awesome as well with beast mode being a reverse Horde where you play as locust. Beast mode is not really quite as deep as horde mode in terms of tactics but it's a fun mode. Horde 2.0 is the same mode from the last game with some awesome updates like command posts that you buy defenses for with cash you accumulate by killing locust in a round. Also every 10th round there are bosses in part of the horde making it very challenging. It is deeper and more challenging than before. Also the sheer amount of different types of enemies is awesome it seems like every time I play there is a new enemy type. . The one small issue I have so far is it seems like there is slow matchmaking in Beast and Horde mode. Prob just cause its launch week though no big deal.

I cant say enough about this game and how awesome it is. This game is not a hyped game that will disappoint. This has an awesome campaign so far and a multiplayer that seems to have been tested and tweeked to perfection by Epic. Buy this now if you have a 360.

Alice: Madness Returns - Xbox 360
Alice: Madness Returns - Xbox 360
Offered by NYC Electronics
Price: $24.50
51 used & new from $17.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun in spurts, July 5, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I have played through about half of the campaign and wanted to write my own review on this very interesting game. The game has top notch art direction and settings and the developers and artists that worked on this game should be commended for the work they did on this game. It is a joy to look at your surroundings as you fly, glide and fight your way through wonderland.

Alice controls well and there are not any controller throw inducing problems. Minor camera issues, and targeting issues when she shoots the pepper grinder pop up but nothing game breaking. Her jumping and gliding is very forgiving and if you fall to your death you respawn pretty close to where you fell.

The enemy types in the game are challenging and must be taken down methodically in order not to die quickly even on normal difficulty. Combat is fast and strategic and button mashing will get you killed quick.

The one issue I have with the game is repetition. The settings of the levels are well varied and interesting but what you do in the levels gets monotonous. You pull a lever jump to a few platforms fight a couple enemies wash rinse and repeat. I have only noticed this problem if you play the game for a long sitting if play for about and hour at a time than this does not become and issue and it is good not to rush through a beautiful game like this. But I wanted to mention my small gripe with this good game.

In the gaming industry today there are tons of sequels to games in over saturated genres. I feel like games like this are a dying breed with multiplayer always being the focus now. Even though this game is technically a sequel it is still a game that is creative and different. If you want to try something new travel with Alice through wonderland you wont be disappointed.

F.E.A.R. 3 - Xbox 360
F.E.A.R. 3 - Xbox 360
Offered by FRONTIER HOBBY SHOP
Price: $11.91
90 used & new from $6.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast and Fun Action Shooter, July 5, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: F.E.A.R. 3 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
This is a good game in a saturated genre. It is not a very scary game but as a shooter action game it succeeds in being fun and challenging. They do a good job in mixing up enemy types, which keeps the action fresh. The enemy soldiers flank and lay cover fire and press you if you stay in cover too long. Most of the other enemy types just rush at you but sheer numbers make these enemies challenging.

Story wise I have been entertained I did not play either the 1st or 2nd game so not sure if the story meshes with what was already laid out but on its own the story is above average for a FPS these days.

I was pleasantly surprised by the graphics in this game. Seeing some vids online made the graphics look pretty bad. The graphics are not the best out there but the gameplay makes up for any lack of visuals and that's really what matters. The settings are fairly detailed and varied. There are no epic set pieces but good settings and level design are present at every part of this game.

The multiplayer in this game is awesome and there are some fresh modes with two small problems. I have played Soul King, F'N Run, and Contractions modes. I have not yet played Soul Survivor. Soul King is my favorite of these modes Basically 4 players start as specters and than the map populates with AI controlled bots as a specter you possess one of the bots and kill other bots once they die you collect the dead bots soul the other players do this too and to really win you have to kill the other players than they drop their collected souls. If you are the "soul king" the person with the most souls all the other players can see where you are on the map at all times. The game is fast frenetic fresh and very fun. F'N Run is fun as well a wall of death smoke is coming up behind you as you and a team of up to four players plow through enemy bots. It is awesome to turn around and see this smoke coming up fast behind you that will kill you but some maps require jumping over obstacles which is unfairly too hard and not always responsive. Contractions is basically a Fear 3 take on Nazi zombies from COD but you have to go out and get supplies between or at the end of rounds.

Now for the problems with multiplayer, The lobby system and matchmaking leave a lot to be desired. You can host a match but unless you have a party of people set to go you can sit there for a while, before your game populates. You can join already hosted match but the host has to launch the game so sometimes you'll join a match and there will not be enough people for the host to launch the game and also sometimes it is a full lobby but the host has fallen asleep at the wheel and doesn't launch the game than you go back to square one. Also as I mentioned earlier Soul King is my fav mode so far but I have yet to have a full party complete a game. Usually 2 people quit by the end of round one, leaving me with one other person. Than if the host quits game ends. Needless to say the way this is set up I spend more time trying to get into a multiplayer game than actually playing the multiplayer.

The multiplayer and graphics were good surprises after purchasing this game. Also the campaign co-op makes this game a package well worth a purchase. If you have a lot of friends who bought this game you wont have any of the issues I had with matchmaking but that is a small issue overall for me. A solid fun shooter with good co-op/multiplayer and an above average story, definitely worth a purchase

Motorstorm Apocalypse
Motorstorm Apocalypse
Offered by goHastings
Price: $19.20
55 used & new from $13.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing game support for free., May 31, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Motorstorm Apocalypse (Video Game)
This game is a fun arcade racer. This game is not very realistic and is very chaotic. If you play this you will crash a lot. There is destruction and debris everywhere you will never have a clean run in this game. It is a game built for online multiplayer and at its best when racing against 10 or more human competitors. If you don't plan on racing online than you'll probably want to stay away from this game the campaign "festival" mode is fun but not worth a full retail purchase. If you just want to have fun racing and not worry about executing a perfect turn and every hundredth of a second on your lap time you will have fun.

The cars don't really have stats but you will get to know which classes suit your driving style. Boost is the key to this game if you master it and cooling you engine you will do well. There are many different paths to the finish line which makes using different car classes fun since some open up new options on a track. This is a good game and one of the best racers for online competition, just don't expect a realistic ride.

Update: Evolution the developer of this game has done a great amazing the best job I have ever seen supporting this game. Since release they have added: a mode editor, weekly challenges, downloadable events, multiplayer balancing tweeks, a few new tracks, and all for free. This game did not sell very well due to PSN outage and the earthquake in Japan. Evolution has gained a major fan here and will be looking to purchase anything from this studio in the future.

Also in my original review I stated there really wasnt enough single player content to warrant a purchase this has changed to more than enough single player content for a full retail purchase with the weekly challenges and downloadable events, which are single player ways to earn chips for online play and vehicle unlocks.

Cheers to Evolution!