Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD
Profile for Kristav Childress > Reviews

Kristav Childress' Profile

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kristav Childress "TheKris" RSS Feed (Singapore)

2084 - A Tale of Post America
2084 - A Tale of Post America
Price: $3.03

1.0 out of 5 stars Not-too Impressive Attempt By Fellow Alum, May 17, 2010
2084 was an engaging book and a very quick read. I read it because 1) I am a sci-fi fan from way back, 2) I am intrigued with dystopic pictures of the future (I recently saw "Age of Stupid" which was a documentary framed in a future archivists musings on where we are going wrong now - intriguing), and 3) because the author is an alumnus of the same college I attended - Davidson - although we're not contemporaries.

I liked the snapshot of a future post-climate catastrophe crisis - it a wakeup call. I thought some of the prognostication was plausible. As I said before, it was a very fast read. I read the Kindle version.

Problems with the book:
- too much bald exposition (mostly with characters reciting paragraphs of detailed geology, meteorology, etc. to each other)
- the book wrapped up like a bad television episode with the bad guys pointing guns at the good guys and a wrestling match ensuing
- characters were too thin and weakly written - people change their motivation and attitudes on a hairpin to move the story along. The work needed more layers and complexity (not necessarily The Road, but something more substantial)
- the portrayal of religious faith as the refuge of simpeltons and charlatans while humanism is somehow the last great hope of mankind was very overwrought.

Particularly from someone like Timmons who attended a school (as we did) which stated as its core belief (and I paraphrase) "We believe that Jesus Christ is the central fact of history" the rendering of religion as simply a mask for control and manipulation of one group by another seemed very odd and unsophisticated. Atheism has unleashed a host of its own horrors while Christian faith - although often corrupted - has led believers to create (real) schools, orphanages, hospitals and charities and missions at great personal cost that have aided countless souls.

So, interesting first attempt. But needs a lot of growth and development and I wouldn't recommend it.

The Intellectuals Speak Out About God: A Handbook for the Christian Student in a Secular Society
by Roy Abraham Varghese
28 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, December 17, 1998
I read this book some years ago and wish that it had not gone out of print. In essence, it is a series of interviews with great thinkers, both traditional theists and scientists and philosophers whose work and thought have led them to consider a traditional God as a reality.
The thesis of the project, and it was borne out by the interviews, is that the leading, cutting edge thinkers in any field are far more likely to consider God seriously than the rank and file who are often still mired in the muck of warmed-over logical positivism and misplaced hyper-rationalism.
This book can have a profound effect on your faith and your life.
This was excellent project and needs to be revisited.

Belief in God in an Age of Science (The Terry Lectures Series)
Belief in God in an Age of Science (The Terry Lectures Series)
by John C. Polkinghorne
64 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding synthesis - one of the best, ever!, April 27, 1998
I was fascinated by this book and aim to read it again. Although some of the philosophy can be a bit thick at times, this is an excellent overview of the relationship (healthy and dysfunctional at times) of science and religion/theology.

I think this book picks up where E.O. Wilson's *Consilience* leaves off. Polkinghorne faces squarely both the strengths and the difficulties/drawbacks of empircal science and religion (specifically Christian theism, although much is of general interest) and shows that each discipline gains from understanding the complementary interests and value of the other.

I can truly say that this book has enriched my thinking.

Cannot recommend this highly enough.

Defeating Darwinism by Opening Minds
Defeating Darwinism by Opening Minds
by Phillip E. Johnson
51 used & new from $1.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to the topic, esp. for students., September 2, 1997
I finished reading this book just before spending two weeks in Capetown, South Africa where I worked with university students (mostly)about the issues of science and the Christian faith. Needless to say, the "creation vs. evolution" controversy was a hot topic.
Although I had spent a great deal of time reading in this area, I found this book to be one of the clearest introductory works on the subject. It is unabashedly Christian and theistic in its perspective, but it helps ask some of the central questions.
I feel it would be an excellent work for the non-technical reader.
As a note, I just am sending 5 more copies of this book to South Africa since the students have also found it an excellent general work