Profile for Just ME > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 39

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Just ME "Mixed Girl" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Batman: Hush
Batman: Hush
by Jim Lee
Price: $16.31
107 used & new from $9.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Why I Love the Book, August 21, 2014
This review is from: Batman: Hush (Paperback)
I didn't really care much for the actual villain of the book. What made me enjoy it had more to do with 3 things:

1. I loved that this book focuses on Bruce's childhood. Outside of his parents death, I feel like we don't get much insight into what Bruce's childhood was like. This and Darwyn Cooke's Ego have been my favorite stories in regards to exploring that aspect.

2. This is a great introduction into Who's Who of the Bat-universe. So its a great starting point for new fans.

3. I love the internal monologues as we get to learn what Bruce thinks of everyone in his life.

Overseas
Overseas
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars My Review, July 22, 2014
This review is from: Overseas (Kindle Edition)
Overseas is one of my favorite time travel romance books. Its what got me into the idea of the hero coming into the present rather than the female going back in time. Make no mistake, she does eventually go back in time but it represents only a small microcosm of the book itself.

What I loved most about the book is that I fell head over heels in love with Julian. Julian is written to be so likable that when he does things that would make a girl feel trapped, you still can't help but love him.

However, I do have a few criticisms so I will ask those who have yet to read this book and are particular about spoilers to STOP reading this review right now. I repeat SPOILER ALERT!!!

1. I hated how Kate's pregnancy was used as a plot device. The idea of her getting pregnant wasn't horrible. It was that the author felt the need to have her lose the baby once they were out of trouble.

2. As with most time travel romance books, the mechanics of how time travel is even possible pretty much gets ignored or little depth to the details.

3. I felt like there wasn't proper build up to the bad guy. It all sort of just comes at you at once. In a way that is good because that means majority of the book isn't wasted on the Big Bad but at the same time, it just feels sort of underwhelming too.

Outside of those 3 issues, I enjoyed the book and plan to reread it in the future.

Batman: Bruce Wayne - Murderer? (New Edition)
Batman: Bruce Wayne - Murderer? (New Edition)
by Chuck Dixon
Price: $22.67
39 used & new from $14.36

4.0 out of 5 stars My Review, July 19, 2014
Okay, so I bought the corrected edition at a comic book store since Amazon hasn't updated their description box to indicate if they've gotten the corrected versions. So here is what the new books contain:

Batman 10 Cent Adventure
Nightwing 68
Gotham Knights 28
Gotham Knights 29
Nightwing 69

The reason I haven't given this 5 stars is because there are some issues where it contains subplots totally irrelevant to the story which makes it annoying. Also, there are still some problems with the ordering. For instance, Robin 98 and 99 are not back to back even though 99 continues were 98 left off. The reason its a problem is that in between those two issues, Robin is in Gotham doing something else entirely! So I guess its an improvement over the incorrect edition but its still not perfect either.

Batman: Bruce Wayne - Fugitive (New Edition)
Batman: Bruce Wayne - Fugitive (New Edition)
by Various
Price: $21.45
62 used & new from $14.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Bruce Wayne Fugitive, July 18, 2014
I've only glanced over it a few times but I can say that so far, it looks like most of the problems that plagued Murderer in terms of production are not a problem here. However, Amazon's description has a few errors and states that this includes Detective 768-775 when it is actually 771-775. The corrected edition of Murderer (which I don't know if Amazon has stocked up on yet) includes some of those issues. Here is what Fugitive actually contains:

Birds of Prey 43 (only a few pages however)
Batman 603
Batman 604
Detective 771
Batgirl 29
Gotham Knights 30
Azrael 91
Azrael 92 (only a few pages)
Detective 772

by Frank Miller
Price: $15.65
91 used & new from $6.89

1.0 out of 5 stars There are better stories than this one...., May 15, 2014
I can't help but wonder if this story is supposed to be about showing why Batman shouldn't have a Robin. We see Batman abuse Dick Grayson and then turn Dick into a psychopath that almost kills another superhero (I stopped reading after that point). It just makes you wonder if its trying to give the message of how Robin is worse off being part of Batman's mission. If this isn't the intent and the book is to be played straight then its terrible for the poor characterization. If its really supposed to be a satire, its still horrible because I happen to like Robin and disagree with those that think Robin serves no purpose in the mythos.

If you are looking for some good modern day dynamic duo stories let me suggest to you Dark Victory which is a good example of how Robin can work in a dark mythos and Robin: Year One which take place after Dark Victory.

Batman: A Death in the Family
Batman: A Death in the Family
by Jim Starlin
Price: $14.12
78 used & new from $12.20

4.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents Worth, April 26, 2014
Like many others, I bought this book more for the secondary story, A Lonely Place of Dying. You see, I am a huge Robin fan with Dick and Tim being my most favorite characters of all time. However, if I were to rate both stories, I'd give the first story, A Death in the Family 3 stars and the second story, A Lonely Place of Dying 4 stars. Let me explain (and Spoiler Alert for the record).

Its well known that Jim Starlin had an immense hatred for the entire concept of Robin and had been lobbying for his death since he began his run on Batman. As a result, he intentionally wrote the character in an unappealing way. And you see that in A Death in the Family, there are many instances in just the first half of the story alone where all I could think about was the lost opportunities in doing some character development for Jason. But that and having him die isn't even the worst part of the story. The second half of A Death in the Family deals with the Joker becoming the Ambassador to Iran. It felt like I was reading an entirely different book. The concept isn't bad and sounds like an interesting plot for a Bronze Age type story but given that they just killed off Robin it was a weird gear change. I am also not a fan of the dialogue, it just felt really dated and sometimes Batman sounded like he was a hip-cat. The only good things I can say about this story is that its definitely a quick read and that if not for this watershed moment, I would never have gotten my favorite character Tim Drake and for all we know we never would have gotten the reuniting of the Bat-family during Knightfall a few years later.

As for the second story in this book, its much better. While the aim of the first story was to basically destroy the concept of Robin, Marv Wolfman is the exact polar opposite of Starlin. A Lonely Place of Dying seeks to repair the concept and while other writers such as Chuck Dixon will take it to an even higher level by making Robin a solo hero in his own right, Wolfman did a good job given what a debacle the whole Jason Todd thing had become. Honestly, my biggest criticisms of the story is that I felt it could have been a bit longer to really show how Batman needs Robin. I mean Tim meets Bruce in the last 25 pages and so it feels rather rushed. I also feel like the dialogue was a little too heavy, its definitely a longer read compared to the other story. Also the Joker angle kind of annoyed me a bit as well. But overall its a good story and I am glad that DC paired it with A Death in the Family, although I think Robin-The Joker's Wild would have also made a great story to go along with A Death in the Family as it sort of brings the entire Robin saga full circle when Tim Drake goes up against the Joker by himself (to date this story can only be bought in the out of print book, Robin: Tragedy and Triumph). Regardless, this book is worth getting at least for the second story.

Batman: Gates of Gotham
Batman: Gates of Gotham
by Scott Snyder
Price: $11.43
75 used & new from $6.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Bat-family story, April 25, 2014
This was one of the last Batman stories prior to the New 52 reboot as well as the last Dick Grayson as Batman stories. Of the various writers who have written Dick Grayson as Batman, Scott Snyder got the tone just right. Many people have discussed how this book focuses on the history of Gotham but one thing not really talked about in regards to this book is the fact that this is an example of how a Bat-family story can be told. The few Bat-family stories I've read were parts of large crossovers and therefore tended not to be the strongest stories because you had so many writers and narratives. In this book we see all the characters work with and interact with one another and actually act like a family. It should be made clear that this is just a story you read because you love the Batfamily. If you want traditional Bruce Wayne as Batman or solo Batman this is not the book for you. Its also a story that should be read for entertainment value. It has little impact on the mythos as a whole and is not a game changer. I say this because some people tend to review books unfairly because it doesn't have huge implications on the mythos.

My only criticisms is that there is too much Damian and I am not a Damian fan and so his dialogue annoys me. But that is not why I docked it one star. No, the real reason is that the story feels sort of rushed. The villain of the book sort of comes out of nowhere. It felt like the build up wasn't there. Maybe it just needed more issues but they ran out of time due to the reboot. Its still a good book regardless of the problems.

Showcase Presents: Robin the Boy Wonder, Vol. 1
Showcase Presents: Robin the Boy Wonder, Vol. 1
by Gardner Fox
39 used & new from $2.67

4.0 out of 5 stars If you are looking for some Dick Grayson as Robin stories...., March 26, 2014
The 1970s was an interesting time for Robin. He got to go solo which would help towards his development in the 1980s when he becomes Nightwing. Dick Grayson is one of the few characters I am able to read comics that pre-date the 1980s, mostly because its easy to reconcile his era with the modern era unlike Batman and Superman.

The stories range from the end of the Silver Age to the first few years of the Bronze Age. Some stories feel out of place such as Robin's team ups with Jimmy Olsen, Superman, and the Justice League mostly because it doesn't mix with the more grounded stuff going on in the back up stories of Detective and Batman. However, I feel the low point of the book comes from Mike Friedrich. Most people seem to like his run but I didn't enjoy his stories. Most of it was overly political in the worst way. The stories try to balance liberal and conservatism but some stories clearly mischaracterize the opponent's argument too much. The worst stories had to be "Danger Comes A-Looking", "Wiped Out", "Vengeance for a Cop" and "The Outcast Society". They are preachy and valid talking points are turned into extremism for no reason other than the fact that DC at that time was run by old men that didn't understand young people at all (which is why to this day they struggle behind Marvel).

I actually found the best stories to be written by Elliot Maggin and Bob Rozakis which take up the last 100 or so pages of the book. Mostly because the stories are just fun adventures minus all the annoying politics that plagued Friedrich's run.

As for the lack of color, I actually find that it makes the art stand out more and makes it much easier to take the stories more seriously than if they were in color. It feels less like a Hanna-Barbera cartoon.

I wish they would make a volume 2 as the stories get better as time goes on. I really would have loved to see Gerry Conway's story, which is among the last of Robin's solo adventures where he is actually trying to figure himself out. Hopefully DC will eventually release another volume with that story included.

Robin #10 Zero Hour
Robin #10 Zero Hour
11 used & new from $0.98

5.0 out of 5 stars If only there were more, August 3, 2013
This review is from: Robin #10 Zero Hour (Comic)
This is one of my 2 most favorite Dick and Tim stories ever (the other being Nightwing 25 which has Dick and Tim riding a train with blindfolds just chewing the fat). I know Robin 10 is supposed to be a tie in to some major event at the time, but I haven't read it and don't care to. From what I do know is that Dick Grayson shows up as Robin because something is going on with the multiple universes causing characters from the past or from alternate universes to appear out of nowhere. I think to get a better understanding you'd have to read the actual event but for me, its not much of a big deal to know all those fine details.

What really matters is that this is a great character study on how Dick and Tim were different as Robins. Dick is clearly young in this so both are relatively early in their careers. We get to see Dick show off his acrobatic skills which makes Tim feel inferior until he proves himself through his detective skills.

My only criticism is that this wasn't longer. I wish this were an issue or two longer. I do know that the other Bat comics had some similar stories one with an old style, pudgy Alfred and one where Barbara Gordon-Batgirl shows up. So I will probably check those out as well.

I think this is a worthwhile read if only for the interaction between the two Robins.

Superman: Secret Origin
Superman: Secret Origin
by Geoff Johns
Price: $15.32
76 used & new from $5.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Its not horrible but..., April 9, 2013
So, I've read Birthright and Secret Origins which are only a few years apart from one another. Of the two, I prefer Secret Origins because it is more fluid and at least for me, is more interesting overall.

I think the biggest criticism I have about this origin story is that it doesn't really seem to introduce anything new. The story does take from the Superman film even in art form (I'm sorry but Christopher Reeve's head on a ten year old boy is really creepy, its okay when he is at adult age, but as a kid? no!).

Some of the story was a bit hit or miss and seemed like it was only there to bridge a gap between Clark's childhood and his adulthood because it plays no role in the rest of story (I am talking about the Legion of Superheroes for the record).

Considering the New 52 invalidates this book as well as any other origin story prior to 2011, I think this is a worthwhile read just for the fun of it. Its always fun to read different authors interpretation of Superman's origins. Its like watching different films of the same character (like Tim Burton's Batman vs. Nolan's).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4