Profile for R. Hill > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. Hill "Say something about yourself!" RSS Feed (Brooklyn, NY USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Livescribe 2GB Echo Smartpen
Livescribe 2GB Echo Smartpen
Price: Click here to see our price
64 used & new from $65.98

4.0 out of 5 stars good pen, bad software, February 14, 2014
I bought this pen and use it a lot. I've told others about how great it is. There are many wonderful things about it. However, Livescribe desktop is terrible software. Livescribe connect, which is supposed to allow you to back up your handwritten notes to evernote, google docs, or just save the damn things into your own computer (why it needs a "connector" to do that, I don't know) does not work consistently. I now have thousands of pages of precious handwritten notes which I am unable to back up. When I tried following their instructions and backing the whole thing up into an external hard-drive, it saved them as files that I could not open with adobe. They were not recognized by livescribe's desktop software when I tried importing. I sometimes think I would be better off just writing notes with a regular pen and scanning them into my computer. At least then I would have a back-up. I did just buy the new version in hopes that they will have worked these glitches out.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2014 2:36 PM PDT

Safavieh Ashlyn Hideaway Desk, Off-White
Safavieh Ashlyn Hideaway Desk, Off-White
Price: $179.99

3.0 out of 5 stars bad packaging and too tall for most office chairs, March 31, 2013
Safavieh definitely has problems with packing. My new desk also arrived with the packaging falling apart and the corners broken. I did put it together and do like the way it looks. However, the height is such that it doesn't work with a normal sized chair, which is a problem. I just measured the seat height (with extra pillows) that I would need for a chair. Seat height = 25 inches. Most office chairs hit a max height of 20 7/8. So... you might need to buy a bar stool.

Flip Tips for Flip Video Camera Cam Corder Users
Flip Tips for Flip Video Camera Cam Corder Users

2.0 out of 5 stars flip videos are not compatible with windows movie maker for vista, June 14, 2009
According to the flip video website, flip video formats are not supported in windows movie maker for vista. Please note: (from the flip video website)
Customer Support
Pledge

Q&A

Windows Movie Maker and Flip
Question

Why can't I play back my Flip videos in Windows Movie Maker on my Windows Vista 64-bit system?
Answer
AVI and MP4 video does not play back in Windows Movie Maker 6.0 on Windows Vista 64-bit systems because Windows Movie Maker 6.0 is a 64-bit application which requires 64-bit decoding filters. FlipShare does not currently supply the necessary 64-bit filters.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2009 10:09 AM PST

Creative Zen Micro 6 GB MP3 Player Black
Creative Zen Micro 6 GB MP3 Player Black
Offered by haven89

4.0 out of 5 stars many pros, many cons, September 26, 2006
This is based on the 5GB model.

The Zen player has some big advantages over the ipod. It is easy to use w/many different types of software (you don't need itunes). The sound quality is good and it's easy to hook it up to any set of speakers using the headphone jack. However, it has also some major glitches: the hard drive seems pretty vulnerable to crashing. I had one player that stopped working just in time for me to get it replaced in the one-year warranty. My replacement player was a little stickier than the first one but it worked pretty well until its hard drive just crashed for no good after about 9 months. So...as one reviewer said, there are some pretty serious problems with this player, but customer service is OK. I recommend getting the extension of the warranty because you can almost bet that this player will break if you use it much. Despite these problems, the next mp3 player I buy will probably be another creative zen micro, in hopes that the newer models will have worked out the kinks.

My much cheaper creative player with a flash drive works way better.

Les Miserables (Penguin Classics)
Les Miserables (Penguin Classics)
by Victor Hugo
Price: $10.67
206 used & new from $0.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Norman Denny Translation is Readable, July 2, 2006
I have both the original Wilbour translation and the Norman Denny translation of this book, and I'd say that the Denny translation is the more readable of the two. Graham Robb, in his award-winning biography of Hugo has called Denny's translation "swiss cheese" and "translation as censorship." However, it's well-written, and the "excised" sections are included as appendices to which any reader can turn. In places where Denny edits the prose, he captures the spirit of the novel.

But the best comparison is made by reading:

here's Wilbour from the beginning of Part Two, Book Four:

"Forty years ago, the solitary pedestrian who ventured into the unknown region of La Salpetriere and went up along the Boulevard as far as the Barrier d'italie, reached certain points where it might be said that Paris had disappeared. It was no longer a solitude, for there were people passing; it was not the country for there were houses and streets. It was not a city, the streets had ruts in them, like highways, and grass grew along their borders; it was not a village, the houses were too lofty. What was it then? It was an inhabited place where there was nobody. It was a desert place where there was somebody. It was a boulevard of the great city, a street of Paris, wilder at night than a forest and gloomier by day than a graveyard. It was the old quarter of the horse-market."

Denny's version of the same passage

" A stroller forty years ago penetrating beyond the Salpetriere by way of the Boulevard de l'Hopital as far as the Barrierr d'italie, would have come to a region where Paris seemed to disappear. It was not a wilderness, for there were inhabitants; not country, for there were streets and houses; not a town, for the streets were rutted like country roads, and grass grew in them; nor was it a village, for the houses were too high. What was it then? It was an inhabited place where there was no one, a deserted place where there was someone, a city boulevard, a paris street, wilder by night than the forest, more melancholy by day than a graveyard. It was the anciet quarter of the horse-market, the Marche-Aux-Chevaux."
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 27, 2015 11:57 PM PDT

Creative MuVo Slim 256 MB MP3 Player Black
Creative MuVo Slim 256 MB MP3 Player Black
4 used & new from $18.95

4.0 out of 5 stars great player with some glitches, December 13, 2005
I've had my muvo slim for several months. (I also have a zen micro 5gb, currently in RMA process) but I like this one for the bounce-able flash drive so I can use it while I'm running.

I've mostly loved it. I've never used an ipod, so I can't compare it, but it holds a reasonable amount of music, is compatible w/audible.com for audiobooks, is super easy to drag and drop podcasts into, etc. etc.

Everything's been perfect until recently. I just started having problems with it shutting down mysteriously for no reason, or if it's touched or if I yank the headphones or something just a little mid-play. I read that this has to do with the space between the battery and the battery door. Whatever the reason, it's kind of a bummer. Otherwise, it's a good player with a lot of features and it's cheap.

Out of Many, Vols. 1 and 2, Brief Fourth Edition
Out of Many, Vols. 1 and 2, Brief Fourth Edition
by John Mack Faragher
61 used & new from $0.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Teaching This Book at the Community College Level, November 10, 2005
I've used this book for years in my American History surveys at the Borough of Manhattan Communuty College. It's a good, concise history that covers a lot of ground. It does have some weaknesses in the first volume, however. While Out of Many probably has the best coverage of the West of any US textbook that I've seen, the attempt to cover diverse regions sometimes creates a disjointed narrative, especially in the brief editions. My students complain that the book "jumps around" between time periods so that they don't know what happened when. I also think that the discussion of Bacon's rebellion and John Brown both leave something to be desired. In the newest editions of the brief volumes, the new features in the text seem to balance some of the narrative problems with focused questions that should remind students of the main points and keep them on track. I was skeptical of the higher price and the bells and whistles of the illustrations, etc, but it does seem to be worth it.

Fires in the Bathroom: Advice for Teachers from High School Students
Fires in the Bathroom: Advice for Teachers from High School Students
by Kathleen Cushman
Price: $15.71
217 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars one of the best books for new or old teachers, August 30, 2005
I was in the bookstore browsing and found this book. I've been teaching college students for over ten years, but only began teaching community college four years ago, and thus feel a bit at sea sometimes with the "high school mentality." This book contains some things that are obvious to those who have been teaching for a long time, but it's almost certain that at least one or two of the views of the kids will be helpful and will translate directly into classroom practice in a way that few books on teaching do.

The insights this book provides into what highschools are like, especially for kids in large city schools, are invaluable. I was surprised to find myself already following a piece of advice I read in the book in the classroom the next day. Definetely worth reading.

Show Me Your Tears
Show Me Your Tears
24 used & new from $3.08

4.0 out of 5 stars seriously good song writing, December 17, 2004
This review is from: Show Me Your Tears (Audio CD)
Ive really hated most of Frank Black's solo stuff. I sold my first Frank Black album, I don't get the excitement over "Teenager of the Year" which just sounded like bad, generic college-radio music to me, though perhaps I'll give it another listen

That said, this is the only Frank Black solo album that I've liked well enough to play and replay. Here and there it reminds me of the Cramps and the songs sound influenced by Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave, Neil Young, and Lou Reed (The Snake), while hanging on to some of Frank Black's signature elements (like the little "ahh ahh" chorus in "This Old Heartache" and the spacey guitars) This is much more serious song-writing than a lot of stuff that he's been putting out.

Cookies Unlimited
Cookies Unlimited
by Nick Malgieri
119 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars How the Cookie Crumbles, October 10, 2004
This review is from: Cookies Unlimited (Hardcover)
I was so relieved to see that other bakers were disappointed with this book. The recipes SEEM as if they'd be good, but they're so disappointing, and the directions were overly confusing. I was once a professional baker and I found this book a big ol' waste of my money. The little guide to cookies has better recipes for much less dough.

Page: 1 | 2