Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Maxwell Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for John Green > Reviews

Browse

John Green's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1323

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

John Green RSS Feed (Los Angeles)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
SoundPEATS Bluetooth Headphones Magnetic Wireless Earbuds Sport In-Ear Sweatproof Earphones with Mic (Bluetooth 4.1, aptx, 6 Hours Play Time, Secure Fit Design) Q12 - Black
Offered by SoundPEATS Audio
Price: $55.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Sounds, Excellent Hands Free, Good Controls, June 21, 2016
This is a really great headset. It has wonderful sound, excellent hands free, and easy to use controls.

First, the sound. In a word - wow! I'm blown away by the quality of the sound. Across all ranges, from low to high, this headset delivers. Most headsets I've tried have been "tilted" towards one sound - either low, medium, or high - but this one does it all very well. It is one of the most pleasant headsets to listen with I've tested. The controls allow for play/pause, volume up/down, and next / last track - all from the small in line control that is well placed on the right side. This model has one thing I always prefer; the volume controls are independent of the phone - so it won't mess with your volumes when you disconnect. They are not listed as noise isolating, but they sure seemed to block out the exterior noise. You need to be aware of your surroundings when wearing these!

They are also comfortable as well. The little plastic piece goes around the inside of the ear, which provides a good seating for the ear piece. They supply extra earpieces and plastic pieces, so you should be able to find something that fits you. I soon forgot I had them in my ear.

Construction is very good, with sweat resistant parts all around, including the MicroUSB port. They include a carrying case that is also sturdy.

The battery will last "up to" 6 hours - depending on the volume you use. It takes about 2.5 hours for a full charge. The package includes a very short cable, but no charger. I used a high power charger, and it worked fine, showing a red LED until charged, at which time it goes to blue.

Hands free use was also excellent. Both my end and the distant end were clear. You can answer the phone, hang up, mute/resume, redial, and - most importantly - holding the button for two seconds will invoke Google Now, so that you can do voice dialing. That makes this a great choice for a car hands free - using one earpiece, of course. The headphone will also pair with two phones at a time.

There is some level of voice feedback, including power on / off, pairing / connected, and power low. For incoming calls, it puts out a beeping sound.

Summary: A really great headset for phone or just listening. Highly recommended.

Please note that I received these free of charge, so I could review them

GHB Sades SA-920 Gaming Headset with Mic for Cellphone and Xbox 360
GHB Sades SA-920 Gaming Headset with Mic for Cellphone and Xbox 360
Offered by Smile&Satisfaction
Price: $31.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Microphone, Better At Mid To High Sounds, June 21, 2016
This looked like a nice set of gaming headphones, so I ordered them. I find these to do a good job rendering mid to higher notes, but not as well with bass, to have a great microphone, and good controls and connections.

First, the sound. I tried this with my phone and with my laptop. The phone had very good sound, but unless you boost the bass with some kind of equalizer (like the boomsound in my HTC 10), the low notes are just not that intense. The middle and high notes are very good however, making these good for classical, new age, or jazz. If you CAN boost the bass at bit, these are really excellent for modern music as well. For PC use, the sound will depend on the quality of the sound card you are using. With my Dell laptop, it was not as strong as with my phone (I had to turn up the volume wheel), but the quality was much the same. There are nowhere near the best I've tested, but at the price, they are very good, and will certainly be fine for gaming.

The headset looks better in person than on the product page - the blue is a bit deeper and looks better. The headset looks will be pleasing to most young gamers; it is a bit futuristic in design - a bit much for us older folks! I love the way the microphone easily swings away from your face, and how it integrates into the look of the headset when stowed. The earpads are comfortable, and there is additional padding for the top of your head. Along with the adjustable length, I found this to be a very comfortable heaset for long term wear. The design features a 3.5mm jack that will plug into your phone (to provide both mic and hearing), an Xbox 360 connector, and a standard pink/green connector for PC use. Other than that, it comes only with instructions, which are not well written but can be understood. They provide an on/off switch inline with the jack, and it is NOT a mic switch - it turns off the entire headset. On that same switch is a rocker wheel that controls the volume.

The microphone has good sensitivity. I think that whatever software they are using to isolate the environmental noise must be working very well. I was able to use the headset to speak with callers on my phone as well, although there are no provisions for answering calls - that has to be done from the phone. But based on my testing, this is a good mic for gaming chat as well. Note that I don't have an xbox, so I was unable to test that connection.

Summary: A very reasonable price for a good microphone and decent headset - very good for gaming. Highly recommended.

Please note that I received this free of charge, so I could review it.

Night Light, Euph LED Multi-Function Body Induction Night Light, PIR Motion Activated, Light Sensor, Wireless Charging Detachable Emergency Flashlight for Home Office Hotel
Offered by Euph Direct
Price: $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Cool Charging, Nice Motion Detection, June 21, 2016
This is a unique lamp that does a good job both as a nightlight and as a flashlight. I find it to put out a relatively low light level, with convenient charging, and good motion sensing.

Use is very simple. Just plug it in. The device has a motion detector that only triggers when there is both movement and heat. The light lasts about 20 seconds once activated. The light is not exceptionally bright (about as good as a cell phone light), but is is enough for basic use. The light tends to indicate the charge level of the battery - I noticed that when the light was charged up (even in the cradle), it got brighter.

There are some great things about this product.

+ The actual light does not plug in - the base unit has a wireless charging capability. All you have to do is hook the light into the holder, and it charges - and functions as well. I've never seen a wireless capability on a motion light.

+ If the plug is not powered up, the unit goes red, to indicate it is not charging. This is useful to indicate a power outage.

+ The light detaches from the base unit. A switch on the side then allows it to either turn on the nightlight function or to turn it into a flashlight. One thing I really liked was that is can be hung either facing up or facing down - it holds either way.

+ The light only activates when there is no other light in the room.

The only problem I had was that at first, the light flickered when going out. After charging for a while, it stopped doing this, so I think the battery simply needed charging.

Summary: A cool design that is also convenient. Highly recommended.

Comment Comment | Permalink

Veepeak Rechargeable LED Motion Sensor Light Closet Light for Cabinet, Pantry, Counter, Bathroom, Stairs, Kids Room - Stick on, Lithium Battery Operated, Wireless Motion Activated, 4 Mode Switch
Offered by VeePeak
Price: $18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright (When You Want), Good Controls And Construction, June 20, 2016
This is an excellent light for those locations where you need a lot of light. I find it to be well made, with easy controls and great adjustable light output.

The light is very solidly built, made of a light metal. A switch on the end selects either OFF, ON, Sensor (bright), or Sensor (low). It charges by means of standard MicroUSB; they include a spiffy flat USB cord, but no charger. Charge time about 3 hours; a charging light is red when charging and blue when complete. I found that the sensor works very well; it stays on for about 20 seconds, then shuts off. The light is very bright on high power, with 14 LEDs that put out a light that is more white than warm.

Some things I like:

+ The sensor is PIR (Passive Infra-Red), which means that it requires both heat and motion to activate. Only a human (or pet) will activate it, not curtains blowing or things like that. This is good for battery longevity.

+ Attachment is by a very long self adhesive magnetic strip that you put on the wall, then the light attaches to it. This makes for easy removal for recharging.

+ I like the capability of having the sensor (low). On this setting, the light puts out about 40% of full power. The resulting light is sufficient for illuminating a hallway. Having the switch enables you to get the light you want - if you need more, it is just a switch away. Also, many lights of this sort are ONLY motion activated; this one has the capability to switch on and stay on.

The only thing to note is that it is long at nine inches long, 1.25 inches wide and .5 inches deep. So you need to be sure there is room wherever you place it.

Summary: A great light that will look good and light well. Highly recommended.

Please note that I received this free of charge, so I could review it.

Trideer® Knee Support Brace Open Patella, Hinged Neoprene Knee/Kneecap Protector Wrap, Lateral Stabilizers with Adjustable Strap, for Workout/Running/Basketball/Meniscus/Tear/ACL/Pain/Injury/Arthritis
Offered by TriDeer
Price: $22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Order Larger Size Than Normal - Needs Thinner Calves To Fit, June 19, 2016
We have a couple of folks in our house with bad knees, so I ordered this brace to try it out. I find that it is really well made, with great lateral support and a good system of straps, but that it is hard to get on and will not fit over larger calves or thighs.

The brace features neoprene as the basic fabric. There is a hole where the knee goes, and dual velcro straps (top and bottom) to hold it in place. They provide semi-rigid dual strips on both the inside and outside of the knee, which look to give a lot of support. The brace is very well made, with double stitching at the stress points, and zigzag stitching on most other places. My daughter tried it on, and liked the support.

My daughter tried it on because I could not. I ordered the largest size, but could not get it past my calves. It was even hard to get over my feet (but I have high insteps). I really wish that they had somehow used an open design, where I could place it on the knee, and then clinch it together.

I think this might be better used by folks with thinner calves and thighs, rather than for body builders who bulk up.

The other thing to note is that neoprene is hot - you will sweat in this brace.

Summary: This looks to be a great brace - if you can get it on! Recommended.

Comment Comment | Permalink

(1 Pair)Trideer® 7mm Knee Brace/Knee Sleeves for Squats, Weight Lifting, Crossfit, Running, Bodybuilding Exercises-Neoprene Knee Support Brace Sleeve Wraps Offers Leg Support&Compression for Men&Women
Offered by TriDeer
Price: $42.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Made, Needs Thinner Calves And Thighs, June 19, 2016
This looked like an excellent knee brace, so I ordered it. I find them to be well made, with lots of support, but that it is difficult to get on, and that your calves and thighs have to be of a smaller size.

These are single piece; there is no velcro involved. All you have to do is slide it up your leg. It is well made, with double stitching at the top and bottom, and quad stitching where the neoprene meets at the rear. The style stitching is single. Overall, I believe will last well. The material is pure neoprene, and that is all the stretch that is built in.

You should note that this is a general brace - there is no specific rigid parts. It simply give support to the entire area.

The only thing to note is that your thighs and calves have to be smaller for this to work. I ordered the largest size, and could not get it past my thighs. I even had trouble getting it over my feet (but I have high arches). My daughter is much smaller, but even she decided these were "calves warmers" - she could not get them over the knee. So i recommend that you only order these if you have smaller diameter calves and thighs. I suspect these are best for cyclists rather than body builders.

Summary: Well made, and should give good support - if you can get them over the knee! Recommended

Please note that I received these free of charge, so I could review them.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Trideer® Tennis/Golf Elbow Brace/Forearm Brace, Adjustable Elbow Support Brace Strap with Compression Pad for Men&Women-Pain Relief, Ease the Symptoms of Tennis Golfers and Racket Sport Players Elbow

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Helps With Tennis Elbow, June 19, 2016
This is an excellent brace that really helps the elbow. I've had trouble for the past half year with some kind of "tennis elbow" sort of thing - until I tried this. It really helps with lifting.

The design is such that it goes a few inches below the elbow, and attaches with velcro. There is a single large pad near the strap buckle, which I put under my arm (the instructions didn't really say where to put the pad). This pad is fairly soft, giving just a bit. I found that it was easy to attach. Construction is very good, with double stitching all around. I expect it to hold up well.

The results surprised me. I was able to lift heavier objects with a lot less discomfort. I would say it was 90% better than without the brace.

The only thing to note is that the brace is a bit hot, as I would expect with a neoprene and velcro design, so you will sweat a bit under it.

You should also note that this is no substitute for a doctor - have your elbow checked out as well. Meanwhile, put this on to help the pain!

Summary: A simple but very effective "fix" for tennis elbow.

Comment Comment | Permalink

OPTIMUM BAR WINE AERATOR - Best Wine Aerator - Decanter - Diffuser - 3 step aerating process. With Suede Travel Pouch - Drip Catcher Stand - Executive Box & Guide RED & WHITE wine - LIFETIME GUARANTEE
Offered by Optimum Bar
Price: $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Aerator, Simple To Use And Easy To Clean, June 18, 2016
OK, it isn't the end of the world, but when the guests are there and you need to open a new bottle of red wine, it is a pain to have to wait while it "breathes". This little gem does a great job of speeding it up - you can pour immediately.

The device comes in a single piece, with an upper part to pour into, and a set of pipes that work to air the wine as it is poured. It comes with a small stand, so that you can just set it down while you serve the wine. Both parts clean with water, and then it can all be stored in the box.

I found that it does a superb job - the wine comes out perfectly. In addition, it is amusing to watch the wine come out, and hear the operation of the aerator, as the liquid comes through. The clear plastic makes everything visible, and the open top actually amplifies the sound. It all happens without spilling a drop of wine. The device will be a conversation piece for your guests.

Summary: Splashy in more ways than one - the wine gets poured immediately and it will make a "splash" at your event. Highly recommended.

Please note that I received this free of charge, so I could review it.

Sutor QI Wireless Charger and 8-Port Desktop USB Charging Station with Smart IC Technology for Apple iOS, Android & Virtually all Other USB Compatible Devices (Black)
Offered by SmartFunTech
Price: $69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Output, Smart Ports, Good Wireless Charging, June 18, 2016
This is an excellent wireless Qi charger. I find it to put out full power on all ports, and to charge wireless fine, but that it is a bit bulky.

The device is a bit large, at 3.1 X 3.75 X 1.25 inches, and 8.5 ounces in weight. However, you get a lot for this area. I've never seen a charger with 9 - yes 9 - power outputs. Eight of them are standard USB ports, while the 9th is a QI charger. I tested this and found that the Qi charger works fine; it turns on a blue light (visible as the white strip in the product pictures) when charging. All you have to do is set the phone down and it charges. The other 8 ports all put out the full amount of power needed by modern tablets and phones. A small blue LED comes on when power is applied. It comes with instructions and a heavy duty power cable.

Some notes:

+ The Qi charger is slower than the USB ports; it only puts out 1A. So if you are in a hurry, it is best to use the wired connections.

+ The ports are not Quick Charge (QC) capable, so they cannot charge up your device rapidly. They are the standard 5V, with a maximum of 2.4A per port.

+ The ports are all "intelligent", in that they will detect the amount of power requested by a device, and will not over charge it. This is a great feature - you can leave it charging all night and your device won't get hot.

+ If you intend to use this next to your bed, the blue "Qi charging" light is a bit bright. It is no problem in a bright room, but it will light up a dark place. Of course, you can always use a USB cable to charge instead.

+ If you don't need the Qi charging, it is very stable when set on its side.

Really, I can't think of anything that is wrong with this design, so long as you need this many ports and you don't mind the Qi light.

Summary: A bulky but powerful charger that will work for the whole family - and company! Highly recommended.

Please note that I received this free of charge, so I could review it.

Dick Stevens Jerky Mix Extreme Beef and Turkey Blends Variety Pack, Original, 18.15 Ounce
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Balanced Nutrition, Unique Taste, June 17, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a nice mix of various flavors by Dick Stevens Jerky. I find it to be tasty, but that none of my family likes it.

These all have one thing in common. The flavor of the meat (even the beef, which is stronger) is almost exactly balanced by the other ingredients. The result does not taste like jerky, and it does not taste like trail mix. It tastes like a combination - and that is definitely an acquired taste. I personally like it a lot, but no one else in the family does. That's fine with me (I get to eat it all!), but I'd recommend trying smaller sizes before committing to a large order.

The ingredients are listed on the product page, but not the nutrition. I'll post that for the beef after the main review.

The thing I like about this is that it is balanced - the protein and carbs are almost exactly the same. So you get the boost from the berries and nuts, and the protein for the long haul from the meats.

Summary: Not to everyone's taste, but great energy. Recommended.
----------
Nutrition:
(Per serving)

Calories : 130
Fat 11% , 1g saturated, 3.5g monounstaturated.
Cholesterol 15mg