Profile for Betty L. Dravis > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 904

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Betty L. Dravis "BETTY DRAVIS, author/reviewer" RSS Feed (Silicon Valley, CA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
George Foreman GR1036BTR 5-Minute Burger Grill
George Foreman GR1036BTR 5-Minute Burger Grill
Price: $29.06
5 used & new from $29.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy cooking! Easy clean-up! Yummy burgers...and more..., September 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This remarkable little grill just arrived today and I couldn't wait to grill some tasty burgers. I know the quality of the grill because I've had one for over five years. It still works well, but I wanted the new feature of the bun warmer on top. I know it isn't much work to heat buns in the oven or microwave, but anything that makes cooking a little easier is welcome in our home.

I also like the red color because it's compatible with my home decor (our new red Keurig coffee-maker and pots and pans, for examples). It's cheerful and bright; that tends to make cooking less of a chore.

I was pleased to note that the grill turns on when you plug it in and the red light turns to green when it's time to grill; the bun-warmer has a switch to turn it on. That's a good thing because you might not always need or want buns with your burgers...or fish...or veggies. Also nice to know that the grease trap simply hooks to the front and works well. In fact, using it is very easy.

We had hamburgers tonight and they were, indeed, much tastier than fried in a skillet. Tomorrow I'll experiment with salmon and veggies, and I look forward to many tasty meals being prepared with my new George Foreman grill.

A few reviewers complained about the shorter cord, but since our home has many wall outlets around the work area of our kitchen, I find the cord length to be perfect for the average kitchen. I place it to the right of the stove...in the toaster area and find it convenient not to have a long cord in the way.

Other features I like are that the cook-plate is coated in Teflon, the drip pan can be washed on the top rack of the dishwasher and the entire unit is small enough to fit in a handy cupboard beneath our stove. For now, though, I have it setting beside the toaster; it looks good there and doesn't take up much space at all.

Best of all, though, is that the burgers were actually yummy... I love, love, love my new red kitchen helper.

Reviewed by Betty Dravis, September 19, 2014
Author of "Six-Pack of Blood"

Charmin Basic Toilet Paper 12 Huge Rolls (Pack of 4)
Charmin Basic Toilet Paper 12 Huge Rolls (Pack of 4)
Price: $42.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Squeezibly Soft...after all these years. Love those bears too..., September 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In years past, I used Charmin toilet paper off and on. What first attracted me to it was the word Charmin and the cuddly bears on the packaging; Aside from that, I did find it very soft and continued using it for several years.

Then along came a parade of other brands that were more economical so I tried many, finally settling on Scott's. Even though it was a bit rougher, it fit my budget when the children were young.

Recently I have tried a few other brands, so when I came across this Charmin and saw my old friendly bear still squeezing this soft tissue, I decided to welcome him/it back into my home.

It's true what the manufacturer says about Charmin Basic; it is stronger and softer, but what I really like about it is that it lasts longer so I don't have to change the rolls as often. Don't call me lazy, just call me busy. :-)

After using a "harsher" brand for so long, Charmin Basic is really a treat!

Highly recommended!

Reviewed by Betty Dravis, September 16, 2014
Author of "The Toonies Invade Silicon Valley"

★ #1 Lavender Essential Oil ★ Rare Premium KASHMIR Grade, 100% Pure, Organic and Highly Effective Lavender Oil • Stay Young and Living Well Now with Lavender Oil Fragrance, Good for Aromatherapy, Sleep, Relaxing, Massage, Hair, Wellness and Much More. 100% Satisfaction or Money Back Guarantee
Offered by Prime Time Commerce
Price: $35.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Having fun experimenting with this versatile lavender oil..., September 14, 2014
When I was offered this product for a review, I almost turned it down because I don't have a diffuser! Now that I have it, I'm glad I didn't! I am having too much fun experimenting with different ways of using this soothing product.

It came with no instructions, but I read and learned from Amazon reviewers about the many uses Lavender Essential Oil has, even without a diffuser.

Like others have said, it's very potent, so I use it minimally, thus making it last longer too. First I tried putting a drop on a cotton ball and placing it in a dish in my bedroom...not too close to my bed. It has a soothing fragrance and did seem calming as I went to sleep quickly. I had also read about another reviewer placing it in the trash container. I thought, A-HA, I will kill two birds with one stone when I dispense with the cotton-ball by discarding it in the kitchen trash can. It did eliminate the odor...

There's a smoker in the house, so I lit a candle and put a drop on top... and it helped keep the smoke fumes from being so objectionable too. Who would have thought?

I'm certain I will find other uses for this essential oil as days go by.

From all this, you can see that I am sold on this product. (I haven't tried putting a dab between my nostrils to soothe the sinuses, as another reviewer suggested, but I will, undoubtedly, try that when I get around to it.)

All in all, I'm really enjoying this new life experience and am becoming a believer...

I recommend this highly because it is, as the manufacturer states, premium grade Kashmir and 100% pure. It seems costly, but a little bit goes a long way so you won't have to buy it often.

Reviewed by Betty Dravis, September 14, 2014
Author of "1106 Grand Boulevard"

ACUTEfruit 8x24 Tropical Blast, 8-Ounce (Pack of 24)
ACUTEfruit 8x24 Tropical Blast, 8-Ounce (Pack of 24)
Price: $37.25

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good... No jitters!, September 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've always been the type who had a natural high-energy level so I scoffed at people who tried these substitutes. Also, I was never a coffee drinker, preferring tea. But with age I tended to have days where my energy was lower. When that happened during a work deadline, I had to grit my teeth and ride it out, which meant working until I was thoroughly exhausted and then trying to make it up by extra sleep.

Enough of that and I decided to give the energy drinks a try. I tried several that my friends used, even though I still was unsure about how safe they were. The two kinds I tried gave me energy, all right, but left me jittery and uncomfortable.

When Amazon brought Acute out, I decided to give it a try. I was reassured on the health factor because it's formulated with 50% real fruit juice, has no preservatives and is non-carbonated. Some reviewers state the boost is sustained, which is another plus. Of course, the lower calories and good fiber content helped make up my mind too.

I've only used it two days and so far, so good. It does boost my energy and NO jitters or heart palpitations. If I find anything negative, I will return and revise my review.

I do believe in checking with my doctor before trying anything new, so advise you to do the same. It might not agree with all people in various health stages.

Reviewed by Betty Dravis, September 14, 2014
Author of "Six-Pack of Fear" (co-author Barbara Watkins

Price: $18.77

5.0 out of 5 stars LIke soft, fluffy clouds..., September 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used to get the Puffs in the square boxes and always said they were the softest, most gentle on the market. They reminded me of fluffy white clouds, but these new ones are like clouds that have been enhanced with fresh blasts of pure oxygen. :-)

Not only are they gentle on my face, especially the tender spots around the eyes and nose, I feel at ease with them because they are dermatologically tested.

I wasn't sure about the soft packaging, but now that I'm used to them, I see the advantage. They easily slip into places where the box could never fit. I not only have one at the kitchen table, in my office and in my bedroom, but I also have one in my big purse, in the car (glove compartment), and in the medicine cabinet. The softness makes it much easier to place them just about anywhere.

Oops! Almost forgot to mention how pretty the patterns on the soft-pack are: three in my box are tan with light brown polka-dots; three are orangish-yellow modern pattern; and three are a pretty blue with touches of white. My favorite pattern is the blue, but that has nothing to do with the quality of Puffs Softpack Basic Facial Tissues; 1 Softpack; 132 Tissues Per Pack (Pack of 9).

I love, love, love my little Puffs of clouds. :-)

Very highly recommended.

Reviewed by Betty Dravis, September 12, 2014

OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Colander
OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Colander
Price: $24.99
4 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is undoubtedly the best strainer I ever owned, September 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is undoubtedly the best strainer I ever owned. Besides its quality workmanship and functionality, it's a nice-looking addition to my kitchen supplies.

Even though my dishwasher does dry after the wash and rinse cycles, I'm taking the advice of another reviewer and washing by hand. Not because of any rust that could conceivably accumulate, but in protection of the rubber feet. This might sound odd, but I adore those little feet...and the handles. They're perfect for any cook's needs: the handles for non-slippage when carrying, the feet for keeping the colander from tipping.

This is very high-quality stainless steel and so attractive that I often place it in the center of my kitchen island as a container for a colorful fruit display.

Highly recommended.

Review by Betty Dravis, September 11, 2014
Author of "Dream Reachers I and II (with Chase Von)

OXO Knife Block Set, 10-Piece
OXO Knife Block Set, 10-Piece
Price: $79.99
2 used & new from $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Trusted brand! Good choice for "starter" or "ender" set..., September 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I notice many reviewers recommending this name-brand set of knives as "starter" sets. Since I'm a senior citizen I'm coming from a different perspective and must say this is a great "ender" set. What I mean is that I have moved into smaller quarters and down-sized everything, including giving my large set of knives to one of my children.

From other reviews, potential buyers know what knives are included in this set, so I won't go into detail about that again.

What I can tell you is that these are more than adequate for me; in fact, I don't use all of them...since I don't cook as much as before. I like the stylish, streamlined look of the dark cherry-wood block (even though my cabinets are a lighter shade) and the light feel of the knives. The style, light-weight design and angled block make it much more comfortable for my not-so-steady hands to handle.

Thanks, OXO, for making cooking less of a chore for us senior citizens.

Highly recommended for those starting and ending their cooking years.

Reviewed by Betty Dravis, September 7, 2014

Baby Stella Peach Doll
Baby Stella Peach Doll
Price: $28.02
40 used & new from $22.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Even cuter than the picture! We love Stella!, September 5, 2014
This review is from: Baby Stella Peach Doll (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Baby Stella is the cutest little doll ever. I fell in love with her even before removing her from the packing box. Just too-ooo adorable, bringing smiles to my face.

AT 15 inches, she's just the right size for the toddlers in our family and oh-so soft and huggable. Stella looks so lifelike with the cute little wisps of hair tied up on top of her head. And her chubby little toes and fingers are just precious, not to mention her tiny belly button and rounded tummy.

I know the toddlers are also going to enjoy the pacifier that attaches to Stella's mouth by a magnet; easily removable. Since kids that age enjoy mimicking Mommy, it won't be long before they're changing her clothing; another easy task due to Velcro fasteners.

Kids don't care about this, but it's nice to know that Baby Stella is an award-winning doll. Due to the fine workmanship, I can definitely see why!

I love her and highly recommend this little cutie. Your kids will love her too.

Reviewed by Betty Dravis, September 5, 2014
Author of "Millennium Babe: The Prophecy"

Now Designs Kitchen Style Basic Apron, Harvest Apples
Now Designs Kitchen Style Basic Apron, Harvest Apples
Price: $15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars In between use, this pretty apron looks cozy hanging on kitchen peg!, August 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I seldom wear an apron, but couldn't resist the Harvest Apples pattern. It brings back fond memories of my childhood in Ohio when my mother had an apron adorned with apples. It also reminds me of home and hearth when Mom and our Grannie baked apple pies on a regular basis. I can still picture them sitting down with newspapers spread across their laps to catch the peelings as they peeled apples by the dozens. :-)

This pretty apron arrived yesterday and I'm very pleased with its appearance: the red is striking on the dark-teal background. I had thought from the photo that the background was black, so the teal is a pleasant surprise. Since its' a twill fabric, it should wear well and withstand many, many washings.

As I do with all new garments, I laundered it to take care of wrinkles that automatically happen from folding it for transport. Using my usual fabric softener in the wash cycle worked well; my apron was soft and comfortable to the touch.

It's too pretty to store in a drawer, so until I use it again, I hung it on a peg on the wall... as colorful decor, adding to the cozy home atmosphere. (Almost as good as having an apple orchard outside my back door... but not quite! :-)

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE my pretty new apron.

Reviewed by Betty Dravis, August 29, 2014
Author of "1106 Grand Boulevard"

Summer Infant Woodberry Grow With Me 4-in-1 Convertible Crib with Simple Adjust, Mocha
Price: $379.99
2 used & new from $379.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A stylish, real-wood crib; easily assembled! I love the rich mocha color!, August 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the most attractive crib I've ever owned, and the fact that it can grow as the child grows is a great feature. Plus, it can be used as a day-bed or even a couch in the den later is like icing on my cup-cake! Of course, a conversion kit sells separately, but I want to get it as soon as possible, in case this particular Grow-with-me bed is discontinued.

I was concerned about handling and assembly due to its heavy weight, but my son had it all set to go in about a half-hour. He said they made it easy by providing all the necessary tools, all clearly labeled.

As I said above, it's an attractive piece of furniture and it's made of real wood that tends to fit together better than laminate. The wood is smooth, allowing the grain to show through the dark brown (a hint of red) mocha color. This will definitely complement any other quality furniture you have in the house.

I love, love, love it! And highly recommend it. I also suggest, if you can afford it, to get the matching bureau and other accessories necessary to a complete nursery.

Reviewed by Betty Dravis, August 29, 2014
Author of "Dream Reachers" books (co-author Chase Von)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20