Profile for M.J. Rose > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 22

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M.J. Rose RSS Feed (CT)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Glass Kitchen
The Glass Kitchen
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, June 17, 2014
This review is from: The Glass Kitchen (Kindle Edition)
I started this book and devoured it. Heartfelt emotions, a little bit of magic, a smart plot, wonderful complex characters - a perfect recipe for a perfect read.

That Summer: A Novel
That Summer: A Novel
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I was riveted, June 15, 2014
I disappeared into this wonderful gothic tale and was mesmerized for a whole weekend! A terrific stand alone from a terrific accomplished writer.

Help for the Haunted: A Novel
Help for the Haunted: A Novel
by John Searles
Price: $18.72
101 used & new from $4.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting, October 5, 2013
Terrific novel that grips you and doesn't let you go. Mysterious and compelling and absorbing. (And it's amazing how Searles gets into Slyvie's mind.)

Bristol House: A Novel
Bristol House: A Novel
by Beverly Swerling
Price: $19.25
99 used & new from $0.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific ghost story/historical fiction, July 20, 2013
This review is from: Bristol House: A Novel (Hardcover)
I loved this novel. Just a wonderful historical suspense/ghost story with really well developed characters you care about and a story you haven't read 100 times. Well done!! Highly recommended!.

13 (Tallent & Lowery)
13 (Tallent & Lowery)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Flat out wonderful!, January 12, 2013
13 is a flat-out, slam-dunk, no-questions-asked-terrific-adventure. Try not to turn the pages too fast because the wonderfully complex characters deserve you take your time and really get to know them. This is truly a magical story that had me in its thrall from the very first page. It's so exciting to discover a new talent like Lignor and have more books to look forward to.

The World Without You: A Novel
The World Without You: A Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, emotional, impactful, October 26, 2012
Highly recommended. Joshua Henkin possesses an amazing gift to portray characters in depth and with compassion and he's at his best here. The World Without You is moving and heartbreaking and at the same time humorous and hopeful. It's a surprising page turner - which is often not the case with literary fiction - but the story moves. I'd recommend it to readers who like Jonathan Tropper and Richard Russo. It's also an excellent choice for bookclubs - there's so much here to make for rich conversations. I both admired and tremendously enjoyed this book.

The Very Picture of You: A Novel
The Very Picture of You: A Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming!, August 18, 2012
I love books about artists and Wolff has created a wonderful portraitist in Ella and told a most delightful story. I love disappearing into a book. This one sucked me in and I had the most delightful read. My first Wolff but not my last. Wolff is quite an engaging portraitist herself - she just uses words as her palette.

What Happened to My Sister: A Novel
What Happened to My Sister: A Novel
by Elizabeth Flock
Price: $12.34
114 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerizing Page Turning, August 17, 2012
This novel tugged at me and wouldn't let me go - not while I was reading it and not once I was done. I kept thinking about its dark and poignant story for days after I finished it. There's hope here and darkness. Flock is a wonderful storyteller not afraid to dig deep and make you hurt. But don't fear, when you're done you'll not only feel fulfilled but you'll still be rooting for Carrie Parker. Time with this novel was time well spent.

The Book of Madness and Cures: A Novel
The Book of Madness and Cures: A Novel
by Regina O'Melveny
Price: $25.99
141 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, impressive debut, April 25, 2012
Detailed, fascinating, well written - I was really captured by this book and its complex and absorbing tale. The settings and the characters are well drawn and evocative Most of all I was impressed that I hadn't read this story before anywhere. Well done!

The School of Night: A Novel
The School of Night: A Novel
by Louis Bayard
Price: $19.17
178 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsively Compelling, August 20, 2011
I've loved every one of Bayard's novels and feel he gets better with each one. This is my new favorite and I loved it. Rare is the author who can write so intelligently about a scholarly subject and turn it into a compelling novel of suspense and a deeply felt love story. Really brilliant weaving of past and present and the way its tied up at the end without being overly sentimental is monumental. Bravo Mr. Bayard. I can't wait to see what you do next. This will be a hard one to top. You had me in tears at the end - more than once.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3