Profile for UrbanRube > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

UrbanRube RSS Feed (Los Angeles)

Page: 1 | 2
A Clockwork Army (Vampire Extraordinaire)
A Clockwork Army (Vampire Extraordinaire)
Price: $3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, with lots of layers, November 29, 2014
Lush and vivid, the author plunges you into a finely detailed world--a finely detailed personal conundrum--from the first page. Beautifully written, with lots of layers. If you're a fan of vampire fiction, this should be right up your dimly lit alley.

OtterBox 77-26427 Commuter Series Hybrid Case for HTC One - 1 Pack - Carrier Packaging - Steel Blue
Offered by wire4less
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $12.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Color NOT as pictured and texture totally different, March 13, 2014
Warning! The "Steel Blue" is not a steel blue and it does not have a metallic sheen to it as suggested in the photo. It's more like a sky blue with a bit of green in it and looks and feels very plastic. It's going right back.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2014 8:34 AM PDT

Supreme Courtship
Supreme Courtship
by Christopher Buckley
Edition: Audio CD
8 used & new from $5.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Like the book, but Anne Heche needs more varied male "voices", January 25, 2011
This review is from: Supreme Courtship (Audio CD)
I love Buckley's books and agree with other reviewers here that this is not his best work. However, it's a fun premise and offers a jaded insider's view of Washington--a Christopher Buckley specialty. Anne Heche does a pretty good job of reading the book; however, her best voice--which is just fantastic--is the female Texan protagonist. What bothers me listening to this book is that she does most of the male characters in these halting, pompous octogenarian voices. That's a bulls-eye for one or two of the characters, but not for each and every male character. They can't all talk... like... this. This audio version is worth getting if you can find a bargain price. I think I might have enjoyed it a bit more if I'd read it to myself, just so I could hear some more variety in the male "voices."

A Twisted Ladder (Devils of the Briar Series)
A Twisted Ladder (Devils of the Briar Series)
by Rhodi Hawk
Price: $18.31
96 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely original, January 14, 2010
I loved this book, although I occasionally lost interest in the earlier, parallel plotline. "A Twisted Ladder" was the most original book I've read in years. As someone with an advanced degree in psychology, the suggestion that there's something to the idea of psychic ability being related to evolution was fascinating, as was trying to discern what was supernatural, what was schizophrenia, and what was something else entirely. Highly recommend this to Southern Gothic lovers.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 7, 2011 9:42 PM PDT

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great shoe -- goes with everything - but the sole needs work, August 14, 2009
I love the style of J-41 shoes. They look great. This shoe went with everything my school-aged daughter wore last year and it was comfortable and easy to get on. The only downside is that the weird rubber inset in the sole came loose and I had to glue it back into the rest of the sole. Otherwise, I just wish I could find a pair that looked only slightly different for this year and I'd be happy.

The IT Crowd: Season 1
The IT Crowd: Season 1
DVD ~ Chris O'Dowd
Price: $9.96
46 used & new from $6.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Funniest show on TV, January 16, 2009
This review is from: The IT Crowd: Season 1 (DVD)
No, the DVD isn't out as I write this, but I want to encourage North Americans who haven't seen the show to check it out on BBC America. This is the funniest show I've seen for years. My husband will get me this DVD for Mother's Day if he knows what's good for him. :)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2011 12:38 PM PST

Ghost Worlds: A Guide to Poltergeists, Portals, Ecto-Mist, & Spirit Behavior
Ghost Worlds: A Guide to Poltergeists, Portals, Ecto-Mist, & Spirit Behavior
by Melba Goodwyn
Price: $14.95
121 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-written, would have preferred more "I was there" details, January 14, 2009
There's no question that the author has a great deal of experience and is genuinely intuitive, and the book is very well written, organized, and edited. However, from my perspective, the book would have benefited from a lot more first-person stories with a lot more details. In one case especially, she backs off any details at all about what happened in a very unusual case, citing privacy. I appreciate her ethics, but it's possible to tell a story and change a few details in order to support the context of what you're describing and make it more interesting for the reader. The bulk of the book is devoted to explanations of various types of paranormal phenomena. However, Ms. Goodwyn writes off theories with which she doesn't agree without presenting any supporting evidence for her statement that her own favorite theories are more correct. In her view, poltergeists can't possibly have a demonic aspect. It's just the energy of the emotionally stressed or disturbed at work; case closed. This is a subject of a great deal of study and debate among people who specialize in this type of case, and to state that her own theory is correct categorically--even if she does so based on years of experience--strikes me as incautious, and the book suffers for it.

My Haunted Family: Engrossing tales of one family's encounters with the unknown
My Haunted Family: Engrossing tales of one family's encounters with the unknown
by Rose Pressey
15 used & new from $3.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but not scary, July 9, 2008
I agree with the other reviewer that the more interesting stories are at the end. Pressey has some writing talent, but needed an editor or proofreader as there are a few errors like "she couldn't bare children" in there. (That may not bother other people like it does me! It just takes me right out of the story and into my editor's hat.) Clearly her family has some openness to the spirit world or they wouldn't have had this many experiences. I was hoping for more of a long-term haunting story, though, and this is more a collection of shorter stories of individual experiences. If that's what you're looking for, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Through Painted Deserts: Light, God, and Beauty on the Open Road
Through Painted Deserts: Light, God, and Beauty on the Open Road
by Donald Miller
Edition: Audio CD
Price: $23.14
12 used & new from $3.11

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for young people, especially guys, June 28, 2008
I bought this audio CD because I love Donald Miller's "Blue Like Jazz" and think he's got some profound things to say. It's so centered on a young man's quest/non-quest/quest to find out whether there's anything to quest for that it didn't speak to this 40ish woman the way his other books have. However, I still got something out of it and recommend it highly. I think it would speak loudest to kids in their late teens. Good stuff.

Shattered
Shattered
DVD ~ Pierce Brosnan
Price: $8.58
58 used & new from $1.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't watch it after a stressful week, June 15, 2008
This review is from: Shattered (DVD)
Very good, but extremely difficult to watch. Excellent execution of a well-plotted psychological drama. Had my stomach in knots.

Page: 1 | 2