Profile for Biz Reader > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 61

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Biz Reader RSS Feed (OK, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
A Bull in China: Investing Profitably in the World's Greatest Market
A Bull in China: Investing Profitably in the World's Greatest Market
by Jim Rogers
205 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars China is the place to be!, February 26, 2008
I want to start off by saying this was an extremely interesting book. I read it fast. This book is a no nonsense view of what is taking place in China as well as a kind of "how to guide" for investing there. It is very broad based and should be a part of everyone's library especially for anyone wondering how they can invest successfully in China this book gives quite a few answers to that question.

China is really the place to be in the future. Jim Rogers lays it out so anyone even with below average intelligence can understand the huge opportunities to invest there. Beside all the information about where China has come from and where they are headed that has been packed in this book is a number of lists of companies with their stock symbols and what markets they are traded in along with their three year trends of profit percentages and changes in revenue. Just the homework of that alone is well worth the price of the book if not much more!

This book explains so much on investing in Chinese companies that anyone should be able to find some good investment opportunities with the stocks listed. Jim Rogers is one of the greatest investors of the last 40 years and it seems like a good idea to me to just ride his coat tail so to speak. He puts his money where his mouth is unlike a lot of others who give advice.

A Bull In China gives a good overview of the following markets: Energy, Transportation, Tourism, Agriculture, Health, Education, Housing, Currency and more. As mentioned in the book about the reality that since 1985 the USA has become the largest debtor nation in the world and China has become the largest creditor nation in that same time span says a lot about this countries future and the future of China. This book will certainly help you find a place to put some money. I don't think anyone will be disappointed.

Reminiscences (Bluejacket Books)
Reminiscences (Bluejacket Books)
by Douglas MacArthur
Price: $18.06
75 used & new from $5.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, August 26, 2007
This is a great book written about a man who could be one of the greatest generals of all time. It is an autobiography of sorts which spends a lot of time on WWII. It was written very well and was easy to read as you follow the General through many of his great accomplishments in life.

The book starts out with a little bit of childhood and then heads right into military school and his life in the military which is what he was destined to do. He has a candid demeanor and through the pages you will come to know the man and his thoughts. He gives some of his personal insight of the presidents that he knew and served under. There were a number of interesting facts revealed that I had never heard before. Also General MacArthur reveals his thoughts on the mistakes made by President Truman in regards to North Korea which have totally come to pass. MacArthur was a man who thought not only in terms of now but what our actions would have on the future. Another thing I found interesting was the way he dealt with Japan after the war. If we had followed his example and done the same things in Iraq it probably wouldn't have turned out the way it has. But the one thing that we have learned from history is that we don't learn anything from history.

You will learn of his magnificent military campaigns in the Pacific as I believe only he could tell. The way he treated his men underneath him and the way he dealt with others will give you a great sense on how a true leader should act. The only thing I would say is missing is more on his family life. About all that is revealed is that his family traveled with him even during the war. All in all this is a very fine book which any one interested in history or leadership will find enjoyable.

Amarillo Slim in a World Full of Fat People: The Memoirs of the Greatest Gambler Who Ever Lived
by Amarillo Slim Preston
Price: $11.20
79 used & new from $0.11

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Entertaining!, August 26, 2007
This was a very entertaining book. The stories in here will keep you interested from the beginning all the way to the end. It is written in colorful language and allows you to kind of get inside Slim's head. It is a short 264 pages filled with wild stories of how Slim would gamble on almost anything and win. You may not agree with everything written in these pages but you will definitely get a few laughs along the way.

Slim talks about human psychology and what role that plays in gambling. One of his sayings is "never make a bet unless the bet is already one." And through these pages he reveals his secrets to doing just that. I think there are a number of useful things that anyone could pick up and find useful in their own lives from some psychology to a number of bets that anyone could make others that could almost be guaranteed winners. One of the last things Slim says is, "making peace with yourself is the first thing a winner must do."

If you have any interest in the mind of a gambler and like outrageous stories involving risk then I think you will enjoy this book.

The Publishing Game: Publish a Book in 30 Days
The Publishing Game: Publish a Book in 30 Days
by Fern Reiss
46 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars The Publishing Plan., April 25, 2007
This book is in the very simplest of terms a publishing plan. It has 30 chapters and 238 pages of how to get your book published, assuming you have already written it in 30 days. Each chapter is considered a day and everyday if you follow the game plan laid out here you will get your book self-published in the alloted time.

This book was really interesting and opened my eyes up to a lot of things I had no clue about. It covers more things then I had questions about. I have not read any other books on publishing so I can not compare it to anything else and the reason for 4 stars, but I would say this book seems to be pretty complete. There is so much in here I am going to just list some of the subject matter.

Self-publish, goals, subject matter, target audience, title, cover copy, pricing, publication date, business plan, financial plan, company name, software, legal structure, legalities, ISBN, website, how to sell your book, copyright, cover, editor, galleys, etc etc. Lots of info here. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn about publishing their book because there is a lot more to know then I ever imagined.

Belkin TuneBase FM Transmitter for iPod with Dock Connector (Black)
Belkin TuneBase FM Transmitter for iPod with Dock Connector (Black)
Offered by Synergy Offroad
Price: $54.58
18 used & new from $8.00

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK., April 25, 2007
I would rate this product as OK. I bought one a month and a half ago and used it everyday. The quality of the piece was very good and had no problems operating it. The holder stayed in place and didn't flop around at all. It kept my iPod charged up and ready to go. Using it was very simple and being able to choose the radio station that you tune to I believe was a big plus.

The downside was even with the TuneBase in the lighter and right next to my radio I still got static. It wasn't a lot and wasn't all the time but it was enough for me to decide that this was not the product that I wanted to use in my car for my iPod. I haven't tried any of the other transmitters so I cannot compare them but I bought this one because it had a better rating by users compared to the others. But if this is the best as it gets for FM Transmitters then I decided I want to connect my iPod into the CD changer outlet of my stereo. So I returned the product and got a full refund and am now searching for something better. Unfortunately from what I have read in the reviews of other products it doesn't seem like there is one item that works flawlessly yet. I hope this helps.

Apple 80 GB iPod AAC/MP3 Video Player 5.5 Generation (Black)  (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Apple 80 GB iPod AAC/MP3 Video Player 5.5 Generation (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
23 used & new from $130.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Not so Sweet, April 23, 2007
I recently bought this new iPod and since owning it a while I have changed my opinion of it. (see update below) I use it about everyday and enjoy it a lot. It is great being able to carry music and pictures and other things around that you can use at home or in the car or a trip.

I have heard people talk about how they scratch easy so the first thing I did was go to the Dollar Store and buy a sleeve for it. I don't have any scratches on mine at all. The battery lasts a long time and when you connect it to your computer it automatically charges and loads anything that you may have recently placed in the iTunes software. iTunes is pretty easy to use although it still wants to get artwork from the iTunes store even after you turn that option off. So it still seems to have a few bugs in it. You don't really need instructions for operating either because it has been thought out pretty good and after messing around with it for a little bit anyone can figure out how it operates. The sound quality using the ear buds is good and they aren't too big for your ears. There might be something better out there but compared to the muvo I used before it is night and day.

The way I had my music tagged would not let it come up on the iPod directory the way I wanted it so I had to go through and re-tag a bunch of stuff which took hours. This is the one quirky thing that is a bother because if the files are not tagged exactly right the software will place your music in some stupid setup like under artists you might have 5 or 10 different listings for the same artist. It might take a while before you find out exactly what works and what doesn't. I have MusicMatch on my computer and I used that to edit the tracks so it comes up on the iPod the way I want it to. If there was anything that was kind of a pain that was it because I hadn't planed on going through my entire library and re-tagging it all.

Update: After having it for a couple months I would say that I am happy but at the same time aggravated. Having to change the tagging of all your music to get it to show up on the iPod in the right folders is a pain. That is my biggest complaint and I can't believe how quirky this thing is. Everything has to be exactly right and then sometimes it still doesn't display music in proper folders. Like a lot of things the software is probably over engineered making how things are displayed complicated instead of easy. I would not give it 5 stars anymore and if I could change it I would make it a 3 star. Actually I would give the software a 1.

Way of the Turtle: The Secret Methods that Turned Ordinary People into Legendary Traders
by Curtis Faith
Price: $19.88
184 used & new from $3.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Trading Book Overall!, April 1, 2007
This is one of the best overall trading books that I have read. The book covers the story of the Turtles, which for those who don't know was a group of people from different walks of life assembled out of a newspaper add to trade a system from two of the most successful traders in the world. This was done on a bet that these two guys could raise traders like people raise turtles, thus the Turtles. Curtis Faith, the youngest and most successful of the Turtles working for Richard Dennis at the time, starts out by telling his story from the selection process to trading as a Turtle in a brief history.

One of the more interesting aspects of the book was the focus on the psychology of trading. As a trader I can agree that psychology plays a large role in a person's success as a trader. Most books want to focus on the system and nothing else. The system is only one part of trading. The reason Curtis talks about one's psychology is that he said during the first month of trading as a Turtle he was the only one who stuck to the rules of the system! He said some of them just couldn't trade the system for one reason or another and eventually didn't make it. It was really interesting. Trading is a business that at times your mind will work against you.

There are 15 chapters in this 274 page book and here is a partial list of some chapter titles. Risk Junkies, Taming the Turtle Mind, Think Like a Turtle, Risk and Money Management, Turtle-Style Building Blocks, Turtle-Style Trading: Step by Step, Bulletproof Systems and Mastering Your Demons. In these chapters you will not only find what was originally taught to the Turtles but also some wisdom on different types of systems and what it takes to be a successful trader. There is a different look at position sizing and risk management from what most others teach along with all the original rules to trend following the way that Richard Dennis and Bill Eckhardt taught the Turtles. It is well written in a simple manner that gets to the point. Included are also some personal notes about Curtis' life and some business ventures that have not been as successful as his trading was.

All of that said this is not like some other books that are full of hype and don't reveal anything about actual trend following rules. This book lays out how to trend follow along with the realities that trend following ain't as easy as it sounds. Curtis mentions in the book how at one time he had a 70% drawdown and still kept trading the system!

Just a personal note here. A few years ago I had bought a package from Russell Sands, another one of the Turtles, on the Turtle method of trading and spent if I remember correctly around $200. This book is a bargain compared to that and it also includes some aspects that were not covered by Mr. Sands. I believe this book will be of benefit to anyone who is serious about learning more about trading and they will learn some stuff about themselves in the process. I highly recommend it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2008 12:44 AM PST

Beyond the Hills: The Journey of Waite Phillips
Beyond the Hills: The Journey of Waite Phillips
by Michael Wallis
25 used & new from $12.12

5.0 out of 5 stars A Man Who Really LIved!, February 19, 2007
This is the story of Waite Phillips, brother of Frank Phillips who started Phillips Petroleum. His life was the most interesting of anyone I have read about so far. This man really lived life to the fullest and seemed to enjoy it more then others. He was a great business man who said he never had a mortgage on any property that he ever owned even though he owned at one time around 700,000 acres of land and had millions invested in commercial properties and 7 homes.

The book goes through his childhood and his traveling adventures as a young man to working for his brothers in the oil business and then venturing out on his own starting his own oil company. Later on in life he moved into Real Estate and seemed to make money at everything he did. He was also a great philanthropist who gave away his prized New Mexico ranch to the Boy Scouts and along with that an office building in Tulsa to provide income for it's upkeep. One of his epigrams was "The only things we really keep are those we give away."

The book has 39 chapters and is only 375 pages long. It has many pictures of family and some of the buildings that he owned. It also contains exerts from Waite's diary and many of his own epigrams which are very insightful and gives you a real perspective of who Waite was.

It is the story that makes this book so great. Anyone I believe can appreciate the way Waite lived his life and will walk away with maybe a renewed perspective on life.

Hetty: The Genius and Madness of America's First Female Tycoon
Hetty: The Genius and Madness of America's First Female Tycoon
by Charles Slack
55 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars World's Greatest Miser!, February 19, 2007
This book is about Hetty Green who became the wealthiest woman in America at the time of her death in 1916. Hetty is in the Guinness Book of World Records as the greatest miser who ever lived. Even though she possessed vast sums of money in the form of Real Estate and Stocks and Bonds she lived life like someone who didn't know where her next dollar was going to come from.

Her life as one the world's greatest investors unfolds from her childhood in the mid 1800's until the time of her death. There is some insight into how she invested her money and how she learned to invest as a child reading the financial news out loud to her father and grandfather whose eye sight was failing.

There are 16 chapters in this short book of only 226 pages. A lot of the book is spent on her relationships with relatives and her family. She had two children from a marriage that could be described as odd. Her son grew up and became a good businessman himself although he did not live his life as a miser. Neither one of her children had children of their own and the vast fortune that Hetty had accumulated and held onto so dear was eventually given away by her daughter through her Will upon her death.

It is an interesting story but at times it can be hard to read, the reason for only 3 stars. Her life in a way I would say was sad although if Hetty was asked about the way she lived she probably wouldn't have changed a thing.

Inside the House of Money: Top Hedge Fund Traders on Profiting in the Global Markets
by Steven Drobny
52 used & new from $4.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Newest Market Wizzards!, January 21, 2007
For anyone who has read the Market Wizards you know what to expect as this book is written with the same kind of format. It is a series of interviews with a number of people who I must admit I had never heard of before. Not that that means anything.

There are a total of 13 interviews dealing mainly with the subject of Global Macroeconomics. It is 349 pages long that will go by relatively quick. The first chapter is an introduction to Global Macro Hedge Funds and chapter 2 and 3 deal with it's history and future. Chapter 4 starts the interviews with Jim Leitner. Then Christian Silva-Jothy, Dr. Andres Drobny, Dr. John Porter, Dr. Sushil Wadhwani, Peter Thiel, Yra Harris, Jim Rogers, Dwight Anderson, Scott Bessent, Marko Dimitrijevic, David Gorton with Rob Stading and finally in chapter 16 an anonymous currency trader.

I found it interesting reading and learned a few things in the process. It was interesting to me that a number of these guys said the Economist was one of the most important magazines that they read. I thought the best interview was of Jim Rogers who is always very insightful and entertaining. There are all kinds of interesting tidbits throughout the interviews along with some great trading stories. I think most people who are interested in finances will enjoy reading this book and glean some useful information along the way.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7