Profile for RenaissanceMan > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 581

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

RenaissanceMan RSS Feed

Price: $49.97
13 used & new from $41.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Fun for the Star Wars Family, October 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Overall, this is a fun toy. It does work best on a wood floor. It needs a smooth surface to run. This set is from the Return of the Jedi Movie. There's a series of these toys that you can get. You can get a Millennium Falcon set (my favorite) and play against this Star Destroyer. Here are some details

WHAT COMES IN THE BOX
- Luke (holding lightsaber - blue)
- Vader (holding lightsaber - red)
- 3 Rebel Soldiers (2 standing, 1 kneeling)
- 3 Stormtroopers (2 standing, 1 kneeling)
- Star Destroyer
- 4 Energy Balls
- Remote

Star Destroyer
- forward
- reverse (and turn)
- fire (it opens up to fire the balls)

Figurine Quality
- These are not as detailed as the big figures
- Maybe 3" tall

Batteries Needed:
- 4 AA for the Star Destroyer
- 2 AAA for the remote

Ages
- I'd say definitely 5+. Has small parts so don't want kids under 4 around this toy.

Assembly
- very minor assembly is required for the Star Destroyer
- the figures are all one piece

Price
- These tend to be a bit pricier toys but it has the remote control vehicle. Everytime you add remote control capabilities, you increase the fun and the cost

Noise
- Not too loud for a toy of this type. It's not going to drive the parents nuts.

A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird)
A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird)
by Claudia Gray
Price: $11.37

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like the Twilight Saga or Evernight, you might like this., October 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like this book. It read fast. I will say that it was written in first person which was new. I haven't read a good first person book in quite a while.

It's your standard, chase the suspected bad guy through extra dimensions story. Think 'Sliders' or Jet Li's 'The One' except with more romance and told in the first person. It's done pretty nicely and its easy to follow as you go from one world (dimension) to another.

I call these kind of escapist books brain popcorn. Sometimes, you just need some good brain popcorn and this book fits the bill nicely. It's fast paced. Nicely written and well put together.

Go for it, have some popcorn.

Wahl 9705 PRO ION Rechargeable Home Pet Grooming Kit by Wahl Professional Animal
Price: $53.89
5 used & new from $48.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality, Lots of Accessories, Nice Case and MADE IN THE USA!, October 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'll be frank. I'm not enough of a professional to fully cut the dog's hair but sometimes you just need to do some trimming for the pet and these work great for that. If you have a longhaired breed of animal, I would say that this is almost an essential tool to have around the house. For me, it doesn't replace professional grooming but sometimes in the depths of winter when you're snowbound and can't get the pet to the groomer or when you just don't have time to take the pro pet grooming, this solves the problem in a pinch. The cordless aspect to this product is wonderful. You're not tied to an outlet!

PROS:
- rechargeable
- high quality construction
- charge lasts a good long time
- CORDLESS - now there's an idea that works for this kind of product
- lots of accessories included (guards of all sizes, combs etc)
- LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the case, it's not the sturdiest case but for something like this its essential and the handle is great for carrying
- MADE IN THE USA! (how often do you come across that these days)

CONS:
- I would've liked the case to have been a bit tougher but all in all it's good.

Pure Fun Ladybug Jumper Trampoline
Pure Fun Ladybug Jumper Trampoline
Price: $84.95
9 used & new from $84.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Winter Energy Burner, October 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a wonderful energy burner for kids. My girls just mump and jump on this thing all the time

ASSEMBLY
-Metal Components - The metal components were very easy to assemble. It comes with all the tools that you need but I broke out a ratchet wrench and that really helped me. It does have springs and it comes with a tool to hook everything up but do be careful. The springs are under tension.
- Cloth Components - I frankly had more trouble with this part than the metal components. I might be challenged in this department but once I got the hang of what they were saying, it went fairly quickly.
- I always find that a rubber mallet helps with a lot of these things but it's not necessary.

I'd say it took me 30 minutes to make the metal components all fit together and about 5-10 minutes for the cloth parts once I got the hang of what they were thinking.

Instructions are good for the metal components but not as clear for the cloth parts.

FUN
- On the fun side, this seems to be a very fun toy for kids to use inside in winter

LOOKS
- It looks good enough that you can have on a main floor. Mine is on a basement.

DURABILITY
- The metal parts are going to last forever. The cloth parts are going to be just fine I think.

SAFETY
- I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a safety engineer so take my advice with a grain of salt. I make my kids wear shoes when they use this thing but other than that I think it's a pretty safe toy but again, I'm not an expert. I'm just following the instructions.
- I'd definitely supervise the use by children.

ADULTS
- This thing only goes up to 75lbs so definitely a toy and NOT for adults.

Carhartt Men's Rain Defender Paxton Heavyweight Hooded Sweatshirt
Carhartt Men's Rain Defender Paxton Heavyweight Hooded Sweatshirt
Price: $44.99 - $53.95

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a keeper!, October 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Sweatshirts by mail order can sometimes be a hit or miss thing. For me, this was a complete hit. I love this thing. They wound up sending me an extra large which is one size to big for me but it's a free review item for me so I can't complain much. It turned out to be perfect for my particular use.

I plan to use this as a lounge sweatshirt in winter and for that a slightly oversized sweatshirt works great because it's a bit roomier.

FIT
- This fits as I would expect. It's a true XL size and it fits a bit baggy on me because I'm a large. I'd order my regular size if I were you.

COMFORT
- The outside feels substantial but not rough. It's mostly cotton with a bit of polyester to control shrinking and for strength I think.
- The inside lining is very soft. I don't know how long that will last once I start running it through the wash.

MATERIALS
- Seems very well constructed and robust.
- It is water resistant to rain and water will just bead and run off of it.

To me this is a great winter work sweatshirt. You can us it to garden or do wood but you can also use it to lounge around the home and an occasionally run to the mailbox without worry about it being raining.

Honestly, I was a bit apprehensive at having Amazon send me something like this because if it wasn't something useful, I would've had to have likely thrown away. Thankfully it's a keeper for me. I'm wearing this thing over the winter.

There's also a nice big warmer pocked up front that's useful for keeping your hands warm. I wouldn't put valuables in there but it's your traditional handwarmer pocket.

Valuepedic Contour Ventilated Memory Foam Pillow, Standard Size
Valuepedic Contour Ventilated Memory Foam Pillow, Standard Size
Price: $21.60
2 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Deforms with heat and is a bit cooler than a normal memory foam pillow, October 15, 2014
WHAT IS MEMORY FOAM
- Memory foam is a heat sensitive foam that deforms when the heat of your body comes to rest on it.
- What I find with this pillow is that it feels very firm when you first touch it but resting my head on it after a little while it deforms to the perfect shape of my head.

VENTILATION
This memory foam pillow has holes in it that make it a bit cooler than a normal memory foam pillow

HOW DOES THIS COMPARE
This compares very well against regular name brand memory foam pillows. I own a regular one and to me this and the name brand one are the same in quality except this one is cooler.

HOW I USE IT
- I usually just use this pillow to rest my head when I'm reading. I find it very comfortable.
- In all reality, I don't sleep with a pillow so it's not that I wouldn't use this to replace my pillow. I just don't use one.

IT WAS STOLEN FROM ME
- As soon as I got this, another member of my family fell in love with it and took it for themselves. I am now not allowed to use the pillow. I think that's a pretty good testimonial as to how good this thing is.

Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven with Element IQ
Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven with Element IQ
Price: $249.94
33 used & new from $209.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Turning into my Kitchen Centerpiece, October 10, 2014
This is one of my most used appliances.

PROS
- it toasts bread and bagels perfectly
- it reheats my meals better than a microwave
- it has a "keep warm" mode so you can use it to keep breakfasts warm for larger families (I use this a lot)
- it bakes like a regular oven
- it has convection
- it has a cutout in the back for pizzas
- it has replaced my oven for smaller chores

CONS
- the top gets a bit warm, so consider getting the matching bamboo board that goes on top with silicone pads

I can't say enough great things about this. I loved it so much, I got a second one for my parents and they now can't live without theirs!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2014 10:47 AM PDT

Ray-Ban RB3025 Aviator Large Metal Sunglasses 62 mm, Polarized,Gunmetal Frame/Crystal Green Polarized Lens
Price: $118.32
33 used & new from $113.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, October 10, 2014
I've owned many sunglasses in my life but for driving and general travel, ray bans are by far my favorites. I'm a guy and I have a larger face so I prefer these 62mm frames and I do prefer the polarized lenses for me personally. Overall, I can't begin to say great things about these.

PROS
- Trendy
- Fit like no other pair of glasses
- Great polarization
- Great look

CONS
- These are not sports sunglasses - I find that for strenuous activities, I go with my Maui Jims
- These are not ballistic sunglasses - I find that when I could get hit by flying debris like rocks etc, that I go with Oakleys

Other than those two cons, these Raybans are my everyday sunglasses.

Genuine Issue Magnesium Survival Firestarter
Genuine Issue Magnesium Survival Firestarter
Offered by Reiss Innovations, LLC
Price: $9.18
13 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't trust your fire making to lesser products, October 10, 2014
There are a lot of imitation products out there that are in my opinion unsafe because they don't work as advertised and sometimes making fire is essential to your comfort and well being. There are many imitations out there that are cheaper but some of them don't work.

A magnesium block needs to be two things:
1) it needs to be soft so that you can shave enough material to form a pile
2) it need to light and burn hot enough to make the tinder you put on top of it catch fire

This is the official product that the US government uses for its soldiers and survival kits. Lesser products are too hard and you can't scrape enough materials or they don't catch fire.

I highly recommend that when you get a product like this that you test it out with the knife that you would use. Trust it only after you've test it out. It should be a solid block of very light magnesium and you should have dozens of fire starts with a product like this.

Jawbone ERA Headset - Silver Lining - Retail Packaging (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Ja-Closeouts
Price: $68.99
7 used & new from $68.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is The One!, October 10, 2014
I'm on my third one of these. I have tried other Bluetooth headsets and even the newer versions of this headset by Jawbone but I keep coming back to this one. It's the best out there in my mind.

PROS
- Light
- great sound quality
- great long life battery
- great noise canceling
- intuitive user interface
- great range
- pairs with multiple phones at the same time
- easy pairing
- micro-usb charging

CONS
- NONE

On other headsets I've tried and I've tried many, the noise canceling is not that great, the volume is not that great, the reception is not good.

This headset has none of those problems.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20