Profile for RenaissanceMan > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 490

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

RenaissanceMan RSS Feed
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Chummie Elite Bedwetting Alarm with 5 Tones, Vibration and Lights TCE25O, Orange
Price: $79.99
3 used & new from $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars For deep sleepers 4+ years old, this should help., December 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First of all I think it's important to know what this is and what it is not.

This tool is not for infants. Rather, it is for children 4-6 who happen to be deep sleepers and who are not learning to get up in the middle of the night and are wetting their beds.

On our situation, our first kid was potty trained by the age of three and a half. By contrast, we have a four and a half who is such a deep sleeper that she has to sleep with a pullup or she'll wet her bed.

For children like my four and a half year old, this tool can be handy. It comes with a wetness monitor that is very small, about the size of a credit card that you tape onto the children's underwear. It has a little wire that goes to the main device which is also pretty small. The main device gets clipped to a shirt or a sleeve. When the wetness sensor detects a drop of water, it wakes the child up through a vibration or chime alarm.

The older your child is, the better they'll likely buy into the device and adopt its use.

Is it prefect? No, nothing out there in this department is perfect but as a training aid, if it helps our kid wet her bed six months earlier, than she would otherwise, it will save us hundreds and maybe thousands of dollars not to mention the peace of mind and empowerment that children feel once they don't have to wear pullups.

If you have a child who is 4+ and is still bedwetting or having to wear pullups to bed, give this a try. It might just help solve your problem. It also comes in a variety of colors.

Perky-Pet 5151 Premium Squirrel-Be-Gone Breakaway Wild Bird Feeder
Perky-Pet 5151 Premium Squirrel-Be-Gone Breakaway Wild Bird Feeder
Price: $56.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a real squirrel free bird feeder., December 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a wooded back yard and I have quite a few cardinals and bluejays that frequent my woods so a birdfeeder is perfect. Unfortunately for me, I also have a ton of squirrels who are cute and all but they do eat all the birdseed from most feeders out there. This birdfeeder has a few great features:

1) It's big so it holds quite a bit of seed
2) It has breakaway perches that are strong enough for birds but if a squirrel tries to get a grip the perches fold down and the squirrel falls off.
3) It's made of a material that doesn't fade so birds get a good view of the food they crave.

Overall, it's a great product if you're a birder, a nature photographer like I am or if you have small children whose eyes light up at the sight of a colorful bird. I would definitely keep this far enough away from a home so you don't get wild animals too close but it's a wonderful addition to any wooded back yard.

Timeline - Americana
Timeline - Americana
Offered by Boardgames4Us
Price: $13.31
20 used & new from $8.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Have your kids learn history 15 minutes at a time, December 12, 2014
This review is from: Timeline - Americana (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Timeline is a wonderful concept for a game where your kids learn and have fun at the same time. Let me describe the game and then I'll share some pros and cons.

Game Description
- It's a card game (and if you lose a card or two over the years, it's no big deal - the game is still playable)
- The goal of the game is to get rid of your cards while building a timeline of historical events with the cards
- Each player draws 6 cards and places them with the date face down in front of them (youngest starts)
- Cards have two sides (one describes the item, the other names the item/event/historical fact etc and has a year of occurrence) and a stack of facedown cards (without the date visible) is left off to the side.
- You put the first card on the table with the date face up
- each player takes turns trying to place cards on the table to the left and to the right of the original card to build the timeline
- Example, if a card on the table says a the moon landing was on 1969 and someone has a card that says when pearl harbor was attacked, they'd have to try to put it to the left or to the right of the moon landing card. Once they placed it, they could flip it over and see if they were right. If they were right that's it, they placed the card correctly and they lose that card which is what they're trying to do. If they place the card incorrectly, to the right of the moon landing card they would have to discard their card and take another one from the deck so that player would be no further ahead in getting rid of their cards.
- It's super easy to play once you learn
- A round can take 15 to 20 minutes to play

PROS
- Easy to learn
- Quick to play
- Playable even if you lose a card or two
- Comes in a wonderful collectible tin
- It's educational! So your kids are learning
- 110 cards means a good amount of learning
- Comes in multiple version like Americana, US History, Historical Events, Great Discoveries etc.

CONS
- The more you play it the easier it gets until it's no longer as fun (you learn the dates)

AGE
- I have my eight year old playing this and its good enough for her but the four year old couldn't care about it (Which is expected)
- I'd say 8 to 14 is a good range for this game.
- My 8 to 14 range is based on when kids are able to relate enough to the concepts to play it and be interested but there are some dates I don't know as an adult and since its very specific on the exact year, even adults can play.

THIS PARTICULAR GAME
- This is the Americana version of the game which has a bunch of American trivia that includes history but also contains folklore, music, landmarks, etc. I'm a big Americana buff so I love it but for educational purposes I also ordered the US History, Great Discoveries and Historical Events version of the game to keep it fresh for the kids and to give them variety.

Overall, I would say that the game is really a neat concept. I now have three of these timeline games in part because I want my kids to learn while they play and this game satisfies that need perfectly.

Saris The Hottie Two Bike Home Storage, White
Saris The Hottie Two Bike Home Storage, White
Price: $239.17
12 used & new from $233.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Really cool idea, December 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you're a bicycle enthusiast or athlete and participate in triathlons or bicycle races and have a trophy road or mountain bike, then this is a phenomenal product and I really think this product is squarely designed for you. It allows you to bring your love for the sport and your equipment indoors and display it closer to where you live and it'll be a conversation starter for sure.

If you ride a bicycle regularly and live in a dorm room, apartment, or condo then this item is for us as well. It's a freestanding bicycle rack that holds two bicycles and has room for a helmet and a few accoutrements. It's trendy enough to be placed in a living room or foyer but I don't know if I'd put my dirty commuter bike on it if it were in my living room but if you have a corner somewhere that you can put this, it's a great rack. It can be put in a garage as well but it's a bit too trendy to relegate it to that.

From what I can tell, it's designed for higher end bicycles that are lighter weight.

PROS
- well built
- trendy
- it looks hot
- pretty easy to assemble (if you do any kind of bicycle maintenance, assembling this is a super easy)
- made in the USA (if you care about that)
- protects the bicycle pretty well

CONS
- It's sturdy and stable but don't expect to be able to push hard on it without tipping it.
- depending on where your shift and brake cables run, you could wind up resting them on the rack (this is a common problem for many of us).

Overall, this is a great idea that has finally come of age where you can store your bicycle closer to where you live in a high quality and aesthetically pleasing rack.

Belkin Slim Style Keyboard Case for iPad Air 2 and iPad Air (Blacktop / Gravel)
Belkin Slim Style Keyboard Case for iPad Air 2 and iPad Air (Blacktop / Gravel)
Price: $99.99
24 used & new from $62.56

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, December 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love it and haven't experienced the issues that some of the other reviewers note. Maybe I got a newer version, maybe I have a different IOS version or maybe the way I use the product is different, or my tolerance for technology and its idiosyncracies is higher.

I'll say a few things about how I use my iPad that might help you decide why I don't have issues. To me, my ipad is mostly a consumption device so I use the touchscreen quite a bit and only use the keyboard from time to time to type a long e-mail. If you're that kind of user, I think you'll love this case. If you use your ipad like a laptop and have different demands of it, I don't know what you'll encounter but you might experience what other reviewers are noting.

Bluetooth pairing:
- I've had the same experience with this Bluetooth device that I've had with almost all Bluetooth devices so I can't knock the case for the standard pairing issues that I've experienced with all other devices. To be clear, I'm not marginalizing the other reviewers or their experiences - I just haven't experienced what they have.

Battery:
- I haven't recharged this thing. I think it will go a year with my occasional use of the keyboard.

Looks:
- It's a pretty case that fits tight and protects my device. It is high quality and made of synthetic material.
- It's light for a case that has a keyboard.

Keys and usability:
- They keys are responsive but it is a thin keyboard. Don't expect mechanical keyboard quality or even good scissor keyboard quality. That said, they are nice responsive keys that are well spaced out with nice silent feedback. I enjoy using it.
- It has a kickstand built in so it's easy to get to typing when you open up the ipad
- It folds all the way back for when you're just surfing
- The design allows you to always have a good grip on the ipad

Fit
- The Ipad fits tight in to the cradle which to me is good in case I should drop it, I don't want the ipad flying away. I'll invest a bit in putting it in and taking it out to prevent the ipad from falling out when I don't want it to.

Protection
- The case stays shut with magnets
- The case's edges extend beyond the edge of the Ipad. If you drop your ipad, and it lands on an edge or corner, the case should absorb most of the impact's energy. (Please don't test that feature)

What's in the box
- Case
- MicroUSB charger to charge ipad but no power block

Cons
- Very minor point - To me the magnets could be just a tad stronger to hold the case shut
- Very minor point - I'd be nice if they included a power block for charging but I have an ankler multi USB charger so a powerblock would be unnecessary and just sit in a desk. Still for users who don't have their own chargers, them adding one would be a nice benny.

Photoshop CC: Essential Skills: A guide to creative image editing
Photoshop CC: Essential Skills: A guide to creative image editing
by Mark Galer
Price: $33.69
45 used & new from $28.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential skills that you need, December 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I upgraded for Photoshop CC I noticed that a lot of things had changed. Quick searches on the internet for tutorials seemed to always return videos for the wrong version of Photoshop.

Finally, this book came in and I once again got my bearings. The nice thing is that, to me at least, this book goes well beyond the basics. It's the essentials which includes some pretty advanced capabilities of Photoshop.

It's in color, it has a lot of screenshots which really helps and it has a ton of examples. You also get a demo website, videos and even some royalty free graphics.

If you're new to Photoshop, this is essential. If you're an user of previous versions, this is still a good reference to have because there are some really cool new things that Photoshop can do and this is a great tutorial.

It's on my desk. I highly recommend it.

Belkin Apple MFi Certified Lightning to USB ChargeSync Cable for iPhone 5 / 5S / 5c, iPad 4th Gen, iPad mini, and iPod touch 7th Gen, 4 Feet (Pink)
Price: Click here to see our price

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and Pretty, December 2, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a sturdy and pretty lightning connector. My daughter loves it and it appears to be constructed better than the stock wire that Apple provides.

Swissmar Shucker Paddy Universal Oyster Knife, Black Handle
Swissmar Shucker Paddy Universal Oyster Knife, Black Handle
Offered by Kitchenova
Price: $26.25
6 used & new from $19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Design Matters! This will quickly become your favorite!!!, November 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very thoughtfully designed oyster shucking knife. The bent handle allows you to better use your arm as a lever which makes it easier to open up clams and oysters. The finger grooves and index finger guard is designed so you can hold onto the knife in wet environments. The blade is thick and has a particular wedge design that is made to pry. Overall, whoever designed this knife knew what oyster shuckers needed and they incorporated all of this into their design.

The only thing I'd perhaps add is a lanyard hole so I can tie it to my wrist but there's probably a safety issue I'm not seeing with that.

I will say that I would always have a stab proof glove when I use any oyster knife and this one is no exception.

T.S. Shure Wooden Magnetic Map of The USA Puzzle
T.S. Shure Wooden Magnetic Map of The USA Puzzle
Price: $59.09
3 used & new from $51.57

5.0 out of 5 stars The magnets made all the difference --- hang it on a wall, November 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a gorgeous map of the US for your five to twelve year old. My absolute favorite part of this map is that the states are magnetic so you can hang this map on the wall and your child can assemble it there. I want this to be visible all the time so my it will help her memorize the states. Without the magnet, this would just be one of those puzzles that winds up on a shelf somewhere. With the magnetic feature, it's a very useful and pretty learning tool.

PROS
- It's a big puzzle
- It's very detailed
- Has the states, the state capital and regional features like Rocky Mountains, the Alamo, and other interesting trivia
- It's made of wood
- The construction is high quality and will last years

CONS
- None that I could see

If you have small children I would get this puzzle and the world one and put them on their bedroom walls. It'll help with them learning a bit of geography.

Taylor 7209 Glass Digital Cal Max Scale
Taylor 7209 Glass Digital Cal Max Scale
Price: $29.99
29 used & new from $22.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use good looking scale, November 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Scales are a very personal thing and I would venture to say that it's hard to find a perfect scale. I will say that as scales go this is a nice and cost effective unit that provides what you most need, your weight. Beyond that, it provides BMI and calories to maintain which is important. It doesn't have many bells and whistles beyond that and that's ok with me but there are some people out there that like a scale to speak to them or with a lot more features or with a particular design --- that is not this scale. It's not bare bones but it's not the pinnacle of feature function.

It is a cost effective, good looking, modern digital scale that works consistently well and fits in almost any décor.

Here are some notes on what I found in the hopes that it might help you decide:

GETTING STARTED
- I did need a little phillips screwdriver to open up the case so I could remove the plastic tab to get the batteries to work. It's supposed to be that you can just yank on the little plastic tab but on mine that little tab was really tight and I didn't want to break anything so I used a screwdriver to unscrew the lockscrews from the battery compartment and then I removed the tab. Everything worked fine.
- After that I just jumped on and it took my weight but I noticed that it was about 15lbs off which is too much for a scale like this but I quickly noticed it was on a carpet and once I moved the scale to a solid floor it gave me a perfect reading.
- Setup of a personalized features is pretty straight forward. You enter your age and your weight and an activity level deined in the manual and it will calculate your BMI and your calorie limit to maintain that weight per day.
- You can enter up to four personal profiles so different family members can use the same scale.
- Toggling between people is pretty easy and I can use my toe for that.

AESTHETICS
- It's a pretty scale. Glass and plastic with a nice big screen. If your eyesight is not great, you could struggle with the smaller BMI and calorie readouts but the weight readout is pretty easy to see.
- I can see this scale in almost any bathroom in the US. It's modern and trendy and definitely not your grandparent's scale from the 50s.

CAPACITY
- This scale excels at being able to hold over 440lbs which is pretty good for almost any scale out there. My other scale only goes up to 300.

WARRANTY
- It comes with a five year warranty

CONSISTENCY
- To me this scale is consistent but no two scales will ever be exactly the same unless they've been calibrated professionally for commerce and even then they fall out of adjustment and need to be calibrated periodically. The important thing here is to always weigh yourself with the same scale because no two scales are perfect. When your doctor weighs you, come home and weigh yourself immediately and see what the difference is. It should be very small and that way you know the difference.
- Definitely make sure that the scale is always on a hard surface when you weigh yourself.

SAFETY
- The battery compartment has two little screws on it to keep the door sealed but it also has a tab. If you have small children like I do, the screws are important. Every year children swallow these smaller batteries and if they don't pass the battery intact, it can cause significant damage to their little intestinal tracts so being able to keep the compartment positively sealed is important to me.
- If you don't have children in the house, you can not use the screws and the compartment seals just fine without the screws; it has a little tab mechanism.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20