Profile for K. Andrews > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 103

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Andrews "Permanent tourist" RSS Feed (Folsom, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
ePhoto 10 x 12 ChromaKey Green Screen Digital Photography Studio Video Lighting Kit with Background Stand and Case Kit by ePhotoInc H15-1012G
Offered by ePhotoInc
Price: $299.99
2 used & new from $119.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, February 13, 2014
I would give 5 stars, because for the money it is excellent, and it's not quite fair to compare a $130 product to something more elaborate.

It is very large, you'll need a big room for this. A spare bedroom will do in a pinch, but just barely.

The racks for the backdrop take up a lot of space, so since we want a more or less "permanent" setup anyway, we mounted a curtain rod on the wall and hung it from that. It is wrinkled and the wrinkles don't come out with steaming, so if you need a perfectly flat sheet, you'll want to look for a more wrinkle resistant fabric, which is available. Or paint your wall Kelly Green.

The lights are pretty good, but not quite bright enough. A third light stand and/or flash gun will still be needed for many purposes. For the money this is a good place to begin, and you can add on as needed. Everything you need is included, and the storage/carry bag is actually pretty decent quality too.

Kensington K72337US Orbit Trackball with Scroll Ring for PC or Mac
Kensington K72337US Orbit Trackball with Scroll Ring for PC or Mac
Price: $29.99
128 used & new from $22.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than my old trackball, now that I'm used to it, February 13, 2014
If you came to this product page, there is a good chance that like me, you wish you could find a replacement wired trackball like the one Logitech USED to make, but inexplicably stopped producing, despite the outcry from hundreds of thousands of devotees.

The wireless version doesn't cut it for a lot of us, for many good reasons. And until I found this one from Kensington, the alternatives to the classic thumb operated trackball are awkward to use. I've tried several of them and sent them all back.

When I first installed this product, my initial reaction was disappointment, and assumed that I would again be sending it back. I was steeling myself for what I thought was inevitable, that I would be forced to cough up $200-$300 for one of the rare few remaining Logitech Trackballs on the secondary market.

Mostly due to sloth, I didn't get around to returning the product for a couple weeks, and that is fortunate indeed. Over that time, the product slowly began to grow on me. It is DIFFERENT from my thumb operated trackball, so at first it just felt awkward and wrong. You know, the way any trackball does when you first use it. It's not as inherently intuitive as the standard mouse.

As I became accustomed to using it, I began to truly appreciate all that it offers. The larger marble can be operated with any of the fingers, even the thumb if you must, and for speed moves, you can even incorporate your palm. The thumb mounted marble, due to its position at the side, would often brush up against my keyboard. I wouldn't notice it at first, but that would cause the mouse to behave like it was dirty. Not a big deal, but a slight annoyance, especially since the Logitech mouse lacks the abundance of rubberized pads on the bottom which this one has. It would easily, imperceptibly gravitate towards my keyboard over time.

The scroll ring is what really makes this product stand out. The scroll wheel worked OK for small moves, or you could adjust it to scroll fast, but then it wasn't any good for smaller scrolling moves. The ring is idea for scrolling. For big moves, you can twirl it round and round, and for small moves, you can move it in small increments. Perfect.

The wrist rest doesn't actually attach, like by snapping into place, but if you need the wrist rest, there are better options anyway. As another reviewer pointed out, visit the Tempur-pedic Web site and fill out a form to get a free sample of their mattress material. It makes an ideal wrist rest for this mouse.

Give yourself at least a couple of weeks to adjust to this mouse. It will likely feel awkward at first, and you may hate it until you get used to it. But once your neural pathways and muscle memory adapt, I think you'll find that you love it as much as I love mine.

Fizzies Candy Drink Tablets - Grape 6ct.
Fizzies Candy Drink Tablets - Grape 6ct.
Offered by Teleported Treasures
Price: $21.99
2 used & new from $16.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Great retro product, January 4, 2014
I used to love Fizzies as a kid. Did anyone ever actually drop them into water to make a "soft drink"? More than once, I mean? LOL

Fun to pop in your mouth and let them sizzle on your tongue. Hopefully stopping before you burn your tongue or the roof of your mouth too badly.

I don't remember them being so expensive when I was a kid though, and they were bigger then too. But alas, that was a long time ago. New cars no longer sell for $2000 and gas is no longer 35 cents a gallon. lol

Norpro 3077 Wooden Pastry and Pizza Roller, Garden, Lawn, Maintenance
Norpro 3077 Wooden Pastry and Pizza Roller, Garden, Lawn, Maintenance

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, although there is one that is better, January 4, 2014
This is a great value, if you only have a little money you need to dispose of. However, if you want to get rid of lots of money quickly, spend a little more and get the Norco Pro Money Shredder. It's costs more, but it's a one-time investment, allowing you to get rid of as much money as you want, any time you want, from the comfort of your own home. Just drop your dollars (or other currency) into the slot at the top and they are shredded into tiny pieces that can be used as garden mulch or firestarter.

Still, if you only have $85 that you need to get rid of, this is an excellent option.

Z by Malouf TRAVEL SIZE Memory Foam Molded Contour Neck Pillow - Luxurious Washable Cover
Offered by LinenSpa
Price: $49.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Pillow? More like a rock!, December 24, 2013
Far from "soft and luxurious", this thing is like a rock. Sent it back immediately. Who would want to sleep on a rock?! Or did they make a mistake and send me one that had been fossilized?

TaoTronics® TT-BH01 Black Rechargeable Wireless Over-the-head Bluetooth Headset with Microphone, Featuring Noise Reduction / Multi-Point / 8 Hours Talk Time / Sony PS3 Supported
Offered by Sunvalleytek
Price: $23.99
10 used & new from $16.34

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor sound quality, intermittent connectivity. Cheap price = cheap product, surprise surprise!, November 11, 2013
What did I expect for under $25? Based on the other reviews, I confess I was hoping for something worth more than I paid for it. Perhaps as much as the claimed suggested retail price of $40.

The sound quality from my $15 (wired) headset is vastly better. The sound is so bad, I think it would be fair to saythis product is not usable. The Bluetooth connection cut in and out as well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2013 7:24 PM PST

Great Northern Popcorn Hot Air Popper, Red
Great Northern Popcorn Hot Air Popper, Red
Price: $21.54
10 used & new from $17.25

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks nice, otherwise total junk, November 9, 2013
I purchased this popper on Sept. 12, 2013. On November 9, 2013 I started a batch to popping and after about 30 seconds it burned out completely. Gave up the ghost and started smoking.

I was mildly annoyed with this popper already because it has no on/off switch. The only way to turn it on and off is to push the plug in to the socket, then pull it out when finished. Which of course arcs every time when you do that, and it can't be good for the unit, much less the wiring.

It popped OK until it didn't, although it would consistently throw at least half a dozen kernels out of the shoot before popping began. I'm not sure if that is common to all air poppers though.

I like the bright red with black trim. Makes it look festive and more like a popcorn machine than the more commonly offered white. But what good are looks if it stops popping after two months?

Amazon would have stood behind the product if it proved defective within 30 days, but at this point I've long since thrown out the box, and for a $20 product, I'm not going to hassle with a warranty. Yeah, maybe I got a bad one in the batch. It happens. But a company who doesn't care to spend another $1 to install a power switch probably economized on other components as well. I'll get another brand thanks.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2014 11:15 PM PDT

Voye 72-20488 Wireless Remote Control Doorbell with 10 Different Chimes
Voye 72-20488 Wireless Remote Control Doorbell with 10 Different Chimes
Price: $8.45
13 used & new from $5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk., October 10, 2013
Nothing but problems with this thing. First, someone else in our building evidently has the same chime, or else we had ghosts playing dong-dong-ditch with us. So I went to change the jumper settings, and found that there are none! So no way to change to a non-competing frequency. That alone makes this thing junk, in my book. But it gets worse.

When pressed, the button can very easily stay depressed. It's not obvious, so your visitor, even if he cared, wouldn't notice it. When that happens, the bell doesn't keep ringing, but it does discharge the battery in the button (which is an expensive and not easy to find type). This is not an anomaly, as I have seen that other reviewers reported the same problem.

It does not come with instructions. By itself, not a huge crime, since these things should be intuitive enough to figure out, but still, instructions would be nice!

When the battery is not discharged, it rings loudly and has a lot of different options for sounds to play. I'd prefer one that functions properly even if it only says "ding dong" and not clips from La Cucaracha, Happy Birthday, and Mozart.

It is cheap and flimsy, but given the price, that could be forgiven if it functioned well otherwise. But it does not. It is not often that I think it is fair to give a product a one-star rating, but the problems with this one make it useless in a real world application, so one star it is!

Crosman .22-Cal Steel Breech Kit, Fits 2240, 2250, 2260, 2289 & 1322 Air Guns Crosman .22-Cal Steel
Offered by Alliance Hobby
Price: $49.99
2 used & new from $48.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade (essential?), October 4, 2013
Actually, the plastic breech that comes with these guns isn't bad. But you can't attach a scope or aftermarket sight, and that's the main problem.

This is a well made item, very sturdy. Includes all the parts and allen wrenches you need to perform the upgrade. The instructions are practically worthless however. Very difficult to read at all, and to understand. There are plenty of great instructables and YouTube videos though. Watch the video and you'll find the upgrade to be fairly simple. There are some important things to watch out for, which are covered in the videos, like holding pressure the the plug on the back when removing the screw so the spring doesn't shoot everything all over the room!

Odd that Crosman sells them on Amazon for $55 when they sell them on their own site for $35.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2013 3:24 AM PST

DOVETAIL 3/8" 11mm WEAVER PICATINNY 7/8" 20mm RAIL MOUNT ADAPTER
DOVETAIL 3/8" 11mm WEAVER PICATINNY 7/8" 20mm RAIL MOUNT ADAPTER
Offered by HFIRE(5-20 Business Days Shipped From HK)
Price: $5.28
17 used & new from $1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't accept weaver accessories as claimed, October 2, 2013
I previously bought one of the ones this unit appears to be a knock-off off (UTG). Due to a careless reading of the listing, I thought I was buying the same product, just less expensive. Only later did I realize that while it is listed as having the same function, it is not made by UTG.

My UTG adapter works perfectly. I had a terrible time getting this one even mounted, then when I went to put my scope on it, having just removed the same scope from the other adapter on another gun, I found it would not accept it. It is too large. Not by much. But by enough that I couldn't clamp down the quick-release. I even took the adjustment screws completely out of the quick release so it was at the maximum width, and it would not close on this adapter.

It might work for some people. I believe this is simply a quality control issue at the factory.

What I will say is that the seller stood behind the product 100% and gave me a prompt refund with no hassles. Good seller. Bad (or at best, spotty) product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11