Profile for David Zampino > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 671

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David Zampino "21st Century Hobbit" RSS Feed (Glendale, Wisconsin)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
This Is Ridiculous This Is Amazing: Parenthood in 71 Lists
This Is Ridiculous This Is Amazing: Parenthood in 71 Lists
by Jason Good
Price: $10.88
67 used & new from $5.16

5.0 out of 5 stars My wife and I have 8 kids . . . and we found this book, July 2, 2014
Absolutely HYSTERICAL!!!!!!!

I would love to see this guy's stand-up comedy in person! He has got early parenthood down! I can only hope that he continues with these books, a couple of times each decade, for the next 30 years!

Wonderfully funny! If a new parent can't relate to at least 50% of the book -- I suspect a severe case of "Sense of Humor Failure"!

Maybe all the items in each list are necessarily appropriate for your maiden aunt -- but this is really funny!

Recommended!

The Advocate
The Advocate
by Randy Singer
Price: $12.60
63 used & new from $8.44

2.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to like this book . . ., July 1, 2014
This review is from: The Advocate (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
. . . and I realize that my opinion is in the minority.

I gave the book two stars because it is head-and-shoulders above the pablum that poses for "historical", "1st century Christian" fiction written by other authors.

Randy Singer is, in many respects, a good writer. I have not read any of his legal fiction, but I am willing to give one a try. He tried to do his historical homework with regard to 1st century Rome, and I appreciated that. He used the writings of Roman philosophers and historians, and I appreciated that. His approach to the New Testament was more disappointing -- and his refusal to use any of the 1st and 2nd century Christian material -- which has survived, and is readily available in English-language critical editions -- is, in my opinion, historically dishonest. A number of points, some of which have been raised by other reviewers. There may be points presented that could be construed as spoilers -- so I'm giving the alert now.

Item: Singer seems to have a fixation with crucifixion. The notion that Seneca would subject sons of Roman nobles to fake crucifixions -- and that the noble families would allow it, is absurd on its face.

Item: Singer seems to have a fixation with Vestal Virgins. The notion of a years-long love affair involving a Vestal Virgin, without discovery, or even reasonable suspicion, is also absurd on its face -- and the penalty for love affairs with Vestal Virgins was severe.

Item: While obviously wanting to stick to an uber-literal interpretation of the Biblical text, Singer makes some gaffes. For example, Nicodemus came to Jesus by night -- not the other way around. We don't know if the woman caught in the act of adultery was at the foot of the cross; we don't know what Jesus wrote with His finger in the sand -- Singer uses these as legitimate plot devices -- but if you're going to insist on ultra-literalism, you have to be consistent.

Item: I don't find the notion that Theophilus was Paul's advocate convincing -- but as a plot device, I'm willing to let it stand.

Item: THE BIGGEST AND MOST EGREGIOUS ISSUES ARE HISTORICAL! If you are willing to use the testimony of Josephus; if you are willing to use the testimony of Roman historians, why in heaven's name don't you do the same with the early Christian texts?

* The entire notion of both Luke's Gospel and the book of Acts being hastily composed during the very earliest time of persecution suggests to me that Singer has never seriously studied the composition of either text. Luke was a highly educated man who was an eyewitness to some of the events in Acts. In the Prologue verses for both books, he proposes to his readership exactly what he plans to do, and how he plans to do it. He then executes his plan exactly as he stated that he would. This is classical Greek biography; not something dashed off in a short period of time.

* How does Singer's views of the composition of Luke's Gospel explain the personal family details found in the Infancy Narrative?

* Singer presents Luke as using some fragments of an account of the life of Jesus written by some young Christian named John Mark. Mark was more than just some guy! He had traveled with Paul, and was the secretary to Peter.

* For that matter, where is Peter? He's mentioned once. Doesn't Singer realize that Peter, too, was a victim of Nero's persecution?

* Singer's historical timeline is goofed up. Acts ends with Paul in Rome, living in a rented house, awaiting trial. Most scholars (using the testimony in both Acts, and in II Timothy) believe that Paul was released following his first trial, continued to travel, and was re-arrested and martyred during Nero's persecution.

* Singer's theology is goofed up. When a crowd of believers shows up at the home of Theophilus, a watered-down version of a post-Reformation era communion service is presented -- as almost an afterthought. Is Singer unaware of Paul's specific instructions in 1st Corinthians regarding the celebration of the Lord's Supper?

* Details about the persecution under Nero abound. It didn't happen the way Singer presents it. And no, even Nero, would not have dared to crucify Roman citizens. Hence, the beheading of Paul (the Roman citizen) and the crucifixion of Peter (not a Roman citizen.)

* Singer does give a few clues to a reviewer who is an historian, that at least some early Christian traditions were researched. Singer uses the name "Longinus" -- long associated with the Centurion at the foot of the cross. Singer also writes an epilogue, using the name of an Early Church Father -- Eusebius -- but mis-dating the Council of Nicaea by a decade; and suggesting that Eusebius presented the Emperor Constantine with copies of the Bible. Only problem here? The New Testament was still very much in flux during the time of Eusebius -- and Eusebius writes about that very controversy!

As I said: I wanted to like this book. I liked the premise. But I can't get past the sloppy Scripture scholarship, and I REALLY can't get past what appears to be a deliberate re-writing of Early Church History.

Give this one a miss.

Warburg in Rome
Warburg in Rome
by James Carroll
Price: $19.53
64 used & new from $12.78

3.0 out of 5 stars James Carroll can tell a good story . . ., July 1, 2014
This review is from: Warburg in Rome (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
. . . but he is so agenda-driven regarding the issue of anti-semitism (real or imagined) that it really detracts from the storyline.

Please don't get me wrong; this is a good novel in many respects. The theme of post-WWII Italy is one that can -- and should -- be thoroughly explored, both through works of fiction and non-fiction, and in this work of fiction, Carroll uses interesting, well-fleshed out characters to tell several stories (Warburg being one of them). Without spoilers, I found much of the ending quite satisfying.

The problem here is that seemingly every non-Jewish character is presented as all anti-Semitic, all of the time from (predictably) Church leaders to the President of the United States. In the latter case, he suggests that the historical President Truman deliberately fired his Jewish Cabinet Secretary, because he was afraid that if he, the Vice-President, and the Secretary of State were all killed, someone Jewish would become President. The only problem with that theory, Mr. Carroll, is that this is not (and was not) how the line of succession works -- and any 9th grade civics textbook could have told you that. (The Speaker of the House and the President Pro-Tempore of the Senate are ahead of any Cabinet Secretaries.

Stick to the historical fiction; stick to creating believable, flawed, yet likable characters; stick to good storytelling -- but try to tone down the agenda.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2014 6:09 AM PDT

The Monster Realm
The Monster Realm
by Nara Duffie
Price: $13.38

5.0 out of 5 stars A very fine effort . . ., July 1, 2014
This review is from: The Monster Realm (Paperback)
. . . by a first time author -- and one who was only 10 years old when the book was completed!

"The Monster Realm" is a work of teen/YA fantasy and is the first book in a proposed trilogy. I read the book, as did two of my daughters, ages 13 and 17. I can't wait for the next two books to be published.

Nara's human characters are well-developed and likable; her storytelling is engaging; she shows an enviable knowledge of Greek mythological creatures; and the plot flows nicely, leaving the reader wanting more. (I know that I did!)

I strongly suspect that the author is extremely well-read for her age. I loved the character who swore in Shakespearean insults! (And I could not help but be impressed by her reference to "Titus Andronicus"! I suspect that most college English majors are not familiar with THAT play!)

This is a young author to watch. If this is the quality of work she is capable of now, just think what the next few decades could bring!

Well done, Nara! I'll gladly review anything else you write.

The Immortals of Meluha: The Shiva Trilogy: Book 1
The Immortals of Meluha: The Shiva Trilogy: Book 1
by Amish Tripathi
Price: $19.88

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, June 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I can hardly wait until the remaining two books in the trilogy are translated into English!

I chose to review this novel because it is completely outside my expertise -- and even comfort zone. From time to time, I feel that it is important to me to do so!

Boy, am I glad that I did!

I'll freely admit that while I am a professional theologian, my area of expertise is in the West (part of the reason I wanted to review this book). I am not an expert in either ancient or modern Hinduism -- and don't purport to be. This book, however, is intelligent and challenging. The author is essentially re-creating a 4,000 year-old myth, and bringing it down to human terms.

Very highly recommended! I loved this one!

I couldn't put this book down! It is expertly written (and translated) and conveying a very riveting and interesting story.

The Three Emperors: An Ethan Gage Adventure (Ethan Gage Adventures)
The Three Emperors: An Ethan Gage Adventure (Ethan Gage Adventures)
by William Dietrich
Price: $18.92
68 used & new from $9.91

4.0 out of 5 stars I've been reading the "Ethan Gage" novels for some years . . ., June 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
. . . and they had become somewhat formulaic. In "The Three Emperors", the author really gets back to the good storytelling one found in the first two "Ethan Gage" novels -- and I appreciated that! I want to avoid giving away spoilers -- but evil secret societies, battles, temptation, and beautiful women abound.

The author has a tendency to make characters (both good and evil) from previous books re-appear -- and "The Three Emperors" is no exception.

There was a lot of resolution of tension (sexual and otherwise) that had been building over the last three or four books; and I am eagerly anticipating the next novel.

No spoilers -- but a really enjoyable story.

The Lincoln Myth: A Novel (Cotton Malone)
The Lincoln Myth: A Novel (Cotton Malone)
by Steve Berry
Price: $17.81
137 used & new from $7.28

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, I confess . . ., June 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
. . . in a previous review, I vowed NEVER to review another Steve Berry "Cotton Malone" novel.

I changed my mind. "The Lincoln Myth" was so superior to the previous book, that I have to be honest and say that I did enjoy it.

People who won't enjoy it: Traditional members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Berry has demonstrated that he is "equal opportunity" in his disdain for religious traditions -- regardless of what they happen to be.

Other people who won't enjoy it: Those readers who insist that if one is going to write a series of novels using the same set of characters, back-stories cannot violently change. One wonders if the author is capable of keeping up with more than one or two major characters at a time.

But the book is a ripping good yarn -- even if not reasonably believable.

Not a bad beach novel.

Cleansing Fire: Welcome to the New Springtime
Cleansing Fire: Welcome to the New Springtime
by Peter B. Kelly
2 used & new from $20.00

1.0 out of 5 stars I was very turned off . . ., June 7, 2014
. . . by this purported novel (using the term very loosely). I am a conservative Catholic by most reasonably accepted standards. I'm a convert who knew exactly what I was getting into when I was received into the Church. I am, by profession, an historian and theologian -- and my Scripture studies and interpretation would certainly fall well to the right of center. I believe in the reality of sin and evil and am sadly aware of the sins committed in the name of God and in the name of the Church. I am strongly opposed to the heresy of Modernism -- but I am equally opposed to that (hopefully) small group of very traditionalist Catholics who throw around the term "Modernism" to attack anyone who dares to disagree with them. I see that as a mark of intellectual laziness.

This work of "faction" is a hashed together diatribe about anything the author doesn't like about the Church, held thinly together by a bizarre plot that would make most conspiracy theorists blush.

I was given my copy by a very devout, very pious, woman in my parish who is quite possibly more conservative than I am. She was very frustrated by the author's strident tone and wanted to discuss her concerns with me. I not only concurred with her concerns, but added a few of my own. The author may have been more persuasive if his tone had been a bit more irenic -- but that still would not have made up for the structural defects of the novel itself.

Without spoilers, let me just suggest that the ending smacks of more than a little "sede-vacante" influence.

Don't waste your time.

Glad Freezer Zipper Gallon Food Storage Bags,  40 Count (Pack of 4)
Glad Freezer Zipper Gallon Food Storage Bags, 40 Count (Pack of 4)
Price: $17.31

5.0 out of 5 stars I've not always been pleased . . ., May 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
. . . with "Glad" products. I am, however, with this one. I have a large family, and I tend to cook large meals. These bags are exactly as advertised -- and I suspect that, by the end of summer, my freezer will be full of them!

I like the heavy duty plastic, and I really like the strong seal.

I would definitely purchase this product.

The Kill Switch: A Tucker Wayne Novel (Sigma Force Novels)
The Kill Switch: A Tucker Wayne Novel (Sigma Force Novels)
by James Rollins
Price: $17.70
128 used & new from $4.50

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked this book . ., May 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
. . . and think that I'm liable to like the series.

I've read all the "Sigma Force" novels, and found the "Tucker Wayne" character to be intriguing. Apparently, so did others.

Yes, this is a somewhat formulaic novel in the "Action Thriller" category -- but I found it better than many in the genre.

I liked it -- and liked it well enough to try the next book in the series.

Recommended.