Profile for Jane Bailey > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jane Bailey RSS Feed (Cotati, CA USA)

The Royal Ranger (Ranger's Apprentice )
The Royal Ranger (Ranger's Apprentice )
by John Flanagan
Price: $15.29
78 used & new from $8.89

2.0 out of 5 stars potential, but then peetered out........, December 26, 2013
So you have the girl apprentice. Very PC. You have the slave trade. Unfortunately, also currently PC. You have a 35 yr. old widower who has lost his personality along with his wife (whose body was never recovered.............I kept waiting for her to show up). You have bumbling bad guys. You have 2 great characters at their wits' end re: their teen-age daughter. Very PC. I kept waiting for the bad guy to turn out to be the false prophet who disappeared in Kings of Clonmel. I kept waiting for Halt to do more. I kept waiting for Horace to do more. And what's with the PC relationship of Gilan and Jenny? Ugh! The evils of alcohol? Very PC. Anyway, lots of potential with Maddie but not much time to get to really like her, as when Will was young. And I missed the old Will. Yep, Flanagan should have quit at Lost Stories (some I liked, some not). Die-hards will try to like this as much as the other books. Only thing going for it was converting Maddie to a coffee drinker!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2015 2:04 PM PST

Clear Winter Nights: A Journey into Truth, Doubt, and What Comes After
Clear Winter Nights: A Journey into Truth, Doubt, and What Comes After
by Trevin K. Wax
Price: $12.48
56 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Soul-piercing, mind-challenging, sweet, November 3, 2013
I'm a very picky fiction reader. This book was recommended by another picky fiction reader, Tim Challies. I bought it. Figured I couldn't go wrong with a story about a young man seeking answers about Christianity and trying to "sort it out". LOVED this book. I laughed. I thought. I cried. I want to learn more about how Chris deals with his doubts, re-connects with his Dad.............lives happily ever after. GREAT job addressing why Christianity is NOT a religion or code of ethics. GREAT job addressing sin and repentance. I recommend this to all picky fiction readers! Your heart will be pricked, and prayerfully, your relationship with God will become stronger and you will find answers for your questions and answers for your friends!

Summer of Light: A Novel
Summer of Light: A Novel
by W. Dale Cramer
85 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars sweet, funny, poignant..........Yay Dads!!, July 15, 2013
I'm a picky fiction reader. I saw Levi's Will recommended, but opted for the Summer of Light, it being summer, needing something light to read, and intrigued by the story of a stay-at-home Dad! I laughed my head off in parts, teared up in parts, and wished I could see the photographs that Mick (and Dylan) took! I only wish there had been a bit more depth into Mick's thinking and day-to-day relationships with his kids. But I'm a Mom, and that's probably more of a Mom-thing! I read aloud the chapter about the saw and the tree to my boys. They could totally see it and laughed out loud! Amazing details when writing about the photographs and the homeless (a little too much on photograph developing process), and not enough about the kids and his wife. A great book for whole family except for some PG-13 details on the homeless (IMHO). Unfortunate. But a good book, especially in reminding us to find joy in each moment, to relax a bit in our lifestyles, trust God to provide if we obey His guidance, and to find a place to reach out and touch people with compassion and friendship.

Sleeping Queens
Sleeping Queens
Price: $9.99
55 used & new from $5.32

5.0 out of 5 stars boys love it!, August 1, 2006
This review is from: Sleeping Queens (Toy)
I bought this card game as a good travel game, and also because of the theme! However, before I could even read the directions, my boys 8 and 6 grabbed the deck, picked out their "favorite" queens, married them off to their favorite kings, and began acting out voices, characters, and battle scenes! They had a fit when I asked them to put the cards away(now all over the house in strategic positions). Great story of the little girl who "dreamed" the game up with her family! We should all do more of that! I'm buying more for Christmas gifts for all the cousins - mostly boys!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2012 8:02 AM PST

Kodak Performance Series Digital Camera Case for,  DX6490, 7000 & 700 seriesCameras
Kodak Performance Series Digital Camera Case for, DX6490, 7000 & 700 seriesCameras
Offered by The Grate Sale
Price: $12.98
7 used & new from $10.99

1.0 out of 5 stars undersized and overpriced, June 3, 2006
This was a TERRIBLE purchase on my part. It doesn't even deserve 1 star. I just wanted a small bag to wear over the shoulder for quick access to my z7590 without holding other equipment or being too bulky. The bag was too small for my z7590, and I paid $8 shipping PLUS return shipping. I only hope they don't charge me a re-stocking fee. I went to WalMart, found a cute little bag in the electronics dept. that the camera fits great in, with room for the strap AND extra memory cards or battery if necessary. They have cute ones for ladies too, with pink polka dots or stripes inside! For only $12. Next time, I'll be smarter!