Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Profile for Julie Makrides > Reviews

Browse

Julie Makrides' Profile

Customer Reviews: 99

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Julie Makrides "BookCat" RSS Feed (Arlington, MA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
barkOutfitters Service Dog Vest Harness + 50 FREE ADA Info Cards Kit (Red, (20" - 24") Girth
Offered by Service Tags

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect! Best I've found!, August 8, 2015
This vest is [mostly] fantastic! It's very sturdy and well made. No loose threads or weak spots. Nice to have the reflective spots. The Velcro patches are great; I had no trouble ordering different ones in the right size. They fit perfectly and stick well. The under-padding is a nice addition to stop chafing. The chest plate is a really necessary addition, I've found. It keeps the vest from spinning around, as my friend's does. The cards are very nice; I plan to laminate a couple for my wallet and my friend's wallet. Everything is very nicely adjustable. I saw some comments about it being hard to put together, but I had no trouble just winging it, and the way it's made it can be fiddled with better to make it fit safely until my dog finishes growing into the inch or two of space she has yet to fill. (hard to tell its big in the picture, but you can tell when she walks and if you left her. She could squirm out if she's pulling backwards while it's being held. And thAts why the chest plate goes so far back for now. It doesn't get in her way, though, and won't always be that way.). Once it's together, it stays together. Easy on and off. Just pop the right paw through the hole and clasp on the left side of the tummy. I'm also very impressed with the seeming customer service so far. I haven't gotten around to returning the smaller size yet, but it arrived with a card that had very clear instructions on who to contact about missing parts or problems, a return address and instructions, and every detail you might need.

My only thoughts:
-Sizing. As many have mentioned, the sizing is off by one. My dog has a 16" girth, so I ordered the 16-20" harness. It wouldn't clasp around her waist even at the biggest settings, by any stretch of the imagination. Luckily, I had also ordered the next size up, based on reviews. That one is big on her still, but that's more her needing to grow into a proper harness size. Its not so big that we can't use it for now with other items (More below.). I think the vests are well sized... The listings for them just really need to be changed.
-The D-ring. The metal D-ring on the back is so thick that the leash can't be clipped onto it. It won't go past to close. So, aside from using carabiners to clip on IDs etc, it's useless for anyone using a medium or small leash. (This for the XS and S harnesses. It was the same on both, so I think that's consistent throughout the size range.).

In spite of those two issues, I'm a fan of the vest. I already talked my friend into switching to this for her service dog (though the right size isn't available in blue for her right now!). I personally prefer to clip a leash to the collar so I can encourage a lack of pulling, and have better steering control over my 4 month old pup still in training. So the ring isn't an issue for me, except when I need to clip her to a restraint in the car. To work around that, I have a plain cotton leg harness that fits under the vest. The ring on that is just in front of the vest, so we clip to that. Yes, it's an extra step getting out the door for car rides, but it's working well. Maybe if she grows enough for a bigger leash we can get rid of the extra harness someday. In the end, I'm very pleased with the purchase!
Comment Comment | Permalink

HP 52X 700MB CD-R 100PK in Spindle with Handle
HP 52X 700MB CD-R 100PK in Spindle with Handle

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the BEST product, but seems to be the best for the value., November 23, 2014
The discs seem fine; they can be written on for labeling purposes. You do need to find alternate storage once you open it; there's nothing to hold them together. But the value was good, and I'm planning to use them pretty much right away, so I'm not too bothered by that.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl [Blu-ray]
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by Clyde Parks
Price: $9.94
67 used & new from $2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Going to be a good Christmas Present., November 22, 2014
Mmmm, Jack Sparrow... So many giggles! :-) Finally introduced the girl I babysit, and thought Christmas was a good excuse for her to own it! It was a big hit! Can't wait to hand it over.
I still need to review the sequels to check if they're appropriate. I seem to recall that they get a little racier/more violent. But I was honestly surprised when I realized that this one wasn't as inappropriate as I remembered. So glad I checked! We had a great time!

Outward Hound Kyjen  32040 Squeaker Matz Cow 16-Squeaker Plush Squeak Toy Dog Toys, Large, Black
Outward Hound Kyjen 32040 Squeaker Matz Cow 16-Squeaker Plush Squeak Toy Dog Toys, Large, Black
Price: $9.99
18 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good temporary Christmas present, November 22, 2014
The dog I'm shopping for destroys toy after toy... He's an 8 month retriever/lab mix. That being said, his favorite toys are the ones he CAN destroy. Particularly plush ones. And it seems a shame to never give him his favorite things just because they won't last. This means a lot of supervised play time, yes, and spending extra now and then. But his enthusiasm is hard to pass up. I know he's going to rip this apart, and probably the day he gets it... (He's a very aggressive chewer). But he's going to LOVE it. He likes plush and squeakers, and things he can shake around in his mouth, or chase or tug. So I think this is going to be a hit in his giant stocking.

Outward Hound Kyjen  32005 Invincibles Plush Snake Stuffingless Durable Dog Toys Squeaker Toy 12-Squeakers, Large, Green
Outward Hound Kyjen 32005 Invincibles Plush Snake Stuffingless Durable Dog Toys Squeaker Toy 12-Squeakers, Large, Green
Price: $16.90
24 used & new from $13.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Christmas Present, November 22, 2014
This thing looks great! Long and with funny 'squeak' sounds that won't stop because of a tear, and no stuffing to worry about. I think it's still going to be destroyed by my friend's 8 month retriever/lab mix over a fairly short period of time, but I think he'll love it until we take it away. At least without stuffing we don't have to worry about him ingesting too much bad stuff, and the 'squeakers' are big enough to take away before accidental choking might occur. Bay loves plush toys, and the sounds things make, and shaking things around, so this will be great!

OurPets Original Play-N-Squeak MouseHunter Interactive Cat Toy
OurPets Original Play-N-Squeak MouseHunter Interactive Cat Toy
Price: $3.83
44 used & new from $3.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good!, November 22, 2014
You may want to put these away at night if the squeaking bothers you, but they're a HUGE hit with my cat, and fairly well-made for cat toys. Not the cheap felt or fur mice you get out of dollar bins. The ones that hang from the door are great, too!

OurPets Play-N-Squeak Backyard Squirrel Catnip Cat Toy
OurPets Play-N-Squeak Backyard Squirrel Catnip Cat Toy
Price: $3.99
58 used & new from $2.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toys!, November 22, 2014
My cat LOVES these toys. The squirrel looks a little bit less ...nice, I guess, than the mouse; just less thick and sturdy. But it's the same size, and I got one of each as gifts for two cats in the same house for Christmas this year. The boys I babysit will have fun handing them over. The squeaking MAY bother some people; just means you might want to put them away at night. I've had to do that for housemates.

Post-it Super Sticky Notes, 3 x 3-Inches, Black, 5-Pads/Pack (654-5SSSC)
Post-it Super Sticky Notes, 3 x 3-Inches, Black, 5-Pads/Pack (654-5SSSC)
Price: $8.28
8 used & new from $2.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right for the purpose!, November 22, 2014
Bought for use with a travel spirograph and gel pens. I think this is going to be perfect!

Prismacolor Premier Colored Pencils, Soft Core, 150 Pack
Prismacolor Premier Colored Pencils, Soft Core, 150 Pack
Price: $134.81
140 used & new from $121.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Box is as pictured, November 22, 2014
Haven't opened it yet; it's a Christmas gift for a friend. But it's the nicest I've found, and so much cheaper than in the store. I think they're going to be put to good use!

Yasutomo Gel Xtreme Metallic Pens, Package of 7
Yasutomo Gel Xtreme Metallic Pens, Package of 7
Price: $7.26
34 used & new from $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice solid colors for use on dark paper, November 22, 2014
Gel pens were so much fun when they became the big thing! But the whole excitement was how they looked on black paper. I had a surprisingly hard time finding a pack that advised using them on dark paper this time around, but I wanted them for the girl I babysit, to use with a travel Spirograph and black post-it notes. I decided I wanted to get her the classic version I grew up with (partly based on bad reviews of the newer stuff). I think I've found the perfect thing, and since I accidentally ordered two packs, now I get to play with these myself! Win!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10