Profile for Alicia > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alicia RSS Feed (Shelby Twp., MI)

Daddy Day Care (Special Edition)
Daddy Day Care (Special Edition)
DVD ~ Eddie Murphy
Price: $5.97
435 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, December 2, 2003
A DVD collection contains movies worth watching over and over again. Daddy Day Care isn't a movie worthy of being found in a collection of DVDs. If I were a critic, I would give this movie two stars only because of it's originality and because it contains developed characters, conflict and resolution. Otherwise, I found that the story line was dragged out and that it should have contained more humor and better actors.
At the beginning of the story, Charlie (Eddie Murphy), and his wife(Regina King) take a tour of and enroll their son, Ben (Jonathan Katz), at Chapmen Academy Preschool, a strict private school for young children. Charlie is a marketer for a new brand of cereal, Veggie O's, targeted to kids. His wife finished law school just before their son was born and, after raising him for a few years, is now going to pursue a career as a lawyer. Charlie's cereal fails. He and his partner, Phil (Jeff Garlin), lose their job. After he and his wife look for a cheaper alternative to Chapmen Academy Preschool, they realize there are no decent alternatives. Charlie, then, comes up with the idea of Daddy Day Care. Charlie, Phil and later Marvin(Steve Zahn) run a daycare out of Charlie's home. At the beginning of their business, the children are out of control and they provide no structure for them. But, since it is a fun place for kids to go, more parents enroll their kids. Conflict arises between Chapmen and Daddy Day Care when Chapmen loses enrollments to Daddy Day Care. Chapmen sends Child Protection Agencies back and forth to make sure regulations are carried out, in hopes that they would be shut down. Chapman's attempts to shut Daddy Day Care down fail. At the end, Daddy Day care uses the money made, at the fund-raiser they held, towards a building for the business.
The plot is the most important part of the movie. The idea of the story was good but the plot began to drag in the middle. The repetition of arguments in the conflict faded my interest. There wasn't much humor to keep my attention. The only part that made me laugh out loud was when the little girls put makeup on Phil and he didn't know it until he saw himself in a mirror after he opened the door to the regulations agent. The best part was the end, during the fund-raiser. Kids might like this movie because there are kids in it. But, I don't think very many kids will even find this movie funny.
Actors can make or break a movie. Eddie Murphy was the only well known actor in this movie. I didn't recognize any of the other actors. Eddie Murphy is a good actor in comedy movies but he needed another good actor to support him and strengthen the humor. Jeff Garlin did fairly well but the movie would have been funnier with Eddie Murphy and Jim Carey running the day care.
I was disappointed after watching this movie because I really wanted to see it. I work at a daycare and I love children. I begged my boyfriend to watch it with me and then I fell asleep on him trying to watch it. Daddy Day Care is definitely not a movie I would watch over and over. You wouldn't find it in my DVD collection.