Profile for Ivy Mac > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 38

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ivy Mac RSS Feed (MD)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Darice ArtyFacts Portable Art Studio, 131-Piece Deluxe Art Set With Wood Case
Darice ArtyFacts Portable Art Studio, 131-Piece Deluxe Art Set With Wood Case
Offered by Corydor
Price: $15.49
26 used & new from $12.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what a budding artist needs, March 6, 2015
Quote from the child who received this as a gift: This has everything! I'm going to be a great artist!

Musher's Secret Pet Paw Protection Wax (200 g)
Musher's Secret Pet Paw Protection Wax (200 g)
Price: $17.72
40 used & new from $17.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A paw-saver for my winter walks, March 6, 2015
This stuff gets my rugged outdoors-loving dog through the mushy, salty winter walks. No more sore paws from stinging salt.

14k Yellow Gold Tiny Heart Button Earrings
14k Yellow Gold Tiny Heart Button Earrings
Price: $28.00
2 used & new from $26.60

5.0 out of 5 stars I <3 these <3s!, March 6, 2015
Beautiful! The hearts are a good size for my tween with little ears and my teen with bigger ones. The Amazon Curated Collection never disappoints.

Purple Royal Goblet (8)
Purple Royal Goblet (8)
Offered by BirthdayExpress
Price: $18.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my plan, March 6, 2015
This review is from: Purple Royal Goblet (8)
Very sturdy! These are going to be great as party favors, personalized with each guest's name painted on them, and filled with small goodies.

Starships of Eden
Starships of Eden
by Howard Marsh
Price: $12.78
8 used & new from $12.78

5.0 out of 5 stars A great 2nd novel from a new sci-fi author, March 6, 2015
This review is from: Starships of Eden (Paperback)
This 2nd novel by Dr. Marsh is quite different from the first (Nebula). There is more character development, which I enjoy, and the "hardest" science is reserved for an appendix that the most hard-core can use to get their geek fix. The main text gives enough detail for the average reader to follow, and connect the dots, without losing the flow of the overall story.

The story is engaging, with a number of twists - only one of which I was able to predict, and the author's suggestions about possible origins of religious myth are worthy of book club discussion.

I think this story will appeal to a wider audience than Nebula and recommend it to anyone looking for an interesting sci-fi read with some philosophical implications.

Hamilton Beach 33967 Set 'n Forget 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker, Silver
Hamilton Beach 33967 Set 'n Forget 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker, Silver
Offered by Quidsi Retail LLC
Price: $68.49
19 used & new from $45.00

2.0 out of 5 stars It worked for almost 2 years, October 18, 2012
I got this as a holiday gift in December 2010 and loved it from the very start. It was super-reliable and my family was able to enjoy homemade meals on our busiest days. Yesterday, it let me down. For no apparent reason, the unit shut itself off and my glorious beef stew was unsafe to serve. I've tried plugging it into different outlets, and checked the electrical cord for obvious damage, but can't find any reasonable explanation. Of course, it's also out of warranty. Each attempt to test it has resulted in the unit shutting off within 10 minutes of being turned on, so I have to let it go before I ruin another meal. I will not be purchasing another Hamilton Beach slow cooker to replace it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2012 12:52 AM PDT

Swarovski 1079474 Lovlots Jasmine
Swarovski 1079474 Lovlots Jasmine
Offered by SJHOAG
Price: $129.99
3 used & new from $129.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking!, March 1, 2012
The picture does not do justice to this beautiful figurine. First of all, even knowing the dimensions in advance, I was impressed by the size of the piece. We purchased this as a gift for our daughter (8), and she was moved to tears of joy. I cannot see any flaws, and it has become the centerpiece of an extensive Swarovski crystal figurine collection that my parents began for me as a young teen. Our younger daughter is already making a pitch for a figurine of her own for her 6th birthday next month.

I was concerned about getting such an "extravagant" gift for an 8-year-old, but her reaction told me that it was exactly right for her. Our entire family will treasure this horse until the day she moves into her own home and takes it with her.

Enchanted (Widescreen Edition)
Enchanted (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Amy Adams
Price: $7.50
188 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Princess movie for people who hate Princess movies, April 15, 2008
I love this movie! My daughters are completely enthralled with everything princess (especially Dinsey), and I appreciate the jabs that this movie makes at the usually sugary-sweet princess fare. I can't imagine better casting. Amy Adams does "wide-eyed innocent" like it's never been done before (even better than Judy Garland in "Wizard of Oz"). Patrick Dempsey is the ultimate skeptic and general naysayer - nothing in life is ever as good as it seems. James Marsden plays the fairy-tale prince to the hilt, and is hysterical doing it. After all, "what's not to like" about him? Timothy Spall as the simpering assistant who finds redemption in the end is hilarious. Susan Sarandon is completely over the top as the evil queen, and has never been more entertaining! The best part, even my 2-year-old likes this movie, and the "scary" scenes aren't too much for her to handle. Both of my girls are now singing songs from the movie, all of which are catchy and endearing in their own way. I actually laughed out loud when Dempsey's character showed amazement that everyone seems to know the song Giselle breaks into in the middle of Central Park (he knows the song, too? how come I've never heard this song before?) - after all, isn't that how musicals work? I am thrilled to add this to my DVD collection, and won't mind watching it every day with my kids.

Winnie the Pooh - Springtime with Roo
Winnie the Pooh - Springtime with Roo
DVD ~ Jim Cummings
Offered by Found Treasure
Price: $35.00
103 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Definitely NOT my favorite Pooh movie, April 15, 2008
I usually love everything Winnie the Pooh that comes along. This movie is almost painful to watch. There aren't any catchy songs, the storyline is stretched thin, and Rabbit's character is downright mean (I might even go as far as to say that he's abusive, while the other characters try to make excuses for him). The only glint of wit in it is when Tigger makes a Dickens reference, as this is an unabashed and abyssmal rip-off of a Dickens classic. Even my children are less than thrilled with it, and at ages 2 and 4 they are usually easy to please, as long as it's animated. The younger child is now afraid of Rabbit. Don't waste your money on this one: Pooh's Heffalump Movie, Piglet's BIG Movie, The Tigger Movie are all so much better!

Nordic Ware Pro Cast Stadium Pan
Nordic Ware Pro Cast Stadium Pan
5 used & new from $47.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy for a novice like me!, February 13, 2008
I got this to make a Super Bowl party cake, and had never made a Bundt cake in my life. The pan comes with a suggested recipe, but I used the Create Your Own recipe from the Nordic Ware website. There are also great tips for baking Bundts on their site. The important thing to keep in mind is that it's a 10-cup capacity pan, but most Bundt recipes are for 12 cups. Don't fill it more than halfway and it should work fine. The recipe I used made enough batter for the pan plus 6 regular size cupcakes. I used shortening and flour to prepare the pan, and a couple of the small details got lost due to minor sticking - it was hard to brush the shortening into all of the tiny crevices. Next time I use it, I'll get a cooking spray with flour to see if it works better (Nordic Ware recommends Baker's Joy).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4