Profile for Greg Klinkel > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Greg Klinkel "Greg" RSS Feed (Boulder, CO USA)

Page: 1 | 2
It's Your Money!: Simple Strategies to Maximize Your Social Security Income
It's Your Money!: Simple Strategies to Maximize Your Social Security Income
by Angela S. Deppe CPA
15 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was expecting..., April 29, 2013
I was looking for a solid, readable explanation of the strategies that make sense for when and how to claim my social security benefits, and this book does exactly that.

There are some complexities about the rules surrounding Social Security, and this book explains them nicely. The explanations of various strategies, along with the advantages and disadvantages, are clear and easy to follow. This is not to say that the text "dumbs-down" the material; it does not. The text is clear, and it explains what can be complex topics in a manner that is easy to follow.

I recommend this book to anyone who is approaching retirement.

Social Security: Maximize your Benefits
Social Security: Maximize your Benefits
by Kathleen Sindell
Price: $9.39
24 used & new from $8.45

2.0 out of 5 stars There are better alternatives..., April 29, 2013
I wish that I could recommend this book, but I cannot. It is too flawed, and I have found (at least) one better alternative -- one that I do recommend.

I read this book from cover to cover. The formatting is amateurish, and it distracts in a material way from the message of the text (details below). There appears to have been no editing of the text either, as there are sentences that make no sense, and there are numerous grammatical errors. Finally, the text itself is in places confusing where it does not need to be. I have no doubt that the author is an expert in her material. She would be advised to take on an editor to help her create a much more useful next edition.

The book that I recommend is, "It's Your Money!: Simple Strategies to Maximize Your Social Security Income" by Deppe and Deppe. This book provides a more straightforward and more readable treatment of the same topics.

For the author - or reader who is interested in more detail than my summary statements above - following are some additional details to support my criticisms.

The formatting is, well, awful. When a writer wishes to emphasize information, the preferred ways to do so are to use EITHER bold OR italic style to set off the emphasized material. This author uses 3 stylistic changes simultaneously: bold, italic, and a substantial increase in the point size of the font. The emphasis is lost in the confusion over what the organization of the page is supposed to be, and how in the world the reader is to interpret this assault on the visual layout of the page.

There are many, many editing mistakes. Here's an example: "... the value of the survivor's insurance you have under Social Security is probably has more value of your individual life insurance."
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2014 10:20 AM PST

Return to the Black Hills (Spotlight on Sentinel Pass)
Return to the Black Hills (Spotlight on Sentinel Pass)
Offered by Harlequin Digital Sales Corp.
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable read, March 12, 2013
This is only my second romance novel, and it is the second by this author, who is a friend of mine.

I read the Kindle edition on a recent vacation, and it was everything I expected it to be: a well-written story centered on two interesting characters, along with their friends and family, with some interesting plot twists.

The author's writing style is fluid, natural, and engaging.

I recommend this book!

Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World
Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World
DVD
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable but not really a comedy, December 9, 2012
This movie was billed as a comedy, but although the premise could be humorous, I find it difficult to describe this movie as a comedy. It fits more into the category of "chick-flick". Don't get me wrong; we enjoyed watching it, but it wasn't really a comedy. It's more of a feel-good story about two odd characters who find each other while navigating through a bizarre situation (the end of the world), following a story line that is convoluted as a consequence of that situation. Good but not great. It helps if you like the main actors.

Bernie's Bar & Girll
Bernie's Bar & Girll
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very engaging novel, September 6, 2012
The story line is compelling, the characters are well developed, and the plot development flows naturally. I found myself reading this book every day until its satisfying conclusion. I recommend it!

Now You See It: Simple Visualization Techniques for Quantitative Analysis
Now You See It: Simple Visualization Techniques for Quantitative Analysis
by Stephen Few
Price: $29.47
89 used & new from $19.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent treatment of visual analysis, May 31, 2012
This is an outstanding book that explains how to visualize quantitative data for analysis and presentations. I have long admired Tufte's "The Visual Display of Quantitative Information", and this is a great companion to that work. Where Tufte's work is more historical and philosophical, this one is contemporary and practical while maintaining a perspective on theory, history, and the future.

Until He Met Rachel
Until He Met Rachel
by Debra Salonen
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
57 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging and entertaining!, April 28, 2011
This reading was my first romance novel and also my first reading of a novel written by a good friend. Debra Salonen was a high school classmate of mine.

I have to say, I was impressed by this book! Deb's writing is fluid and engaging. Her characters are interesting, and the story line flows smoothly. I read some in the book each night, and I found myself looking forward to every session I spent with it.

Are there more romance novels in my future? I think it is too early for me to embrace the genre, but I will definitely look forward to reading more of Deb's work. I am very glad that I took the time to buy the book and read it, and I am very proud of Deb for her successful career as a novelist!

I recommend this book.

Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles
Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles
by Howard Massey
Price: $12.57
102 used & new from $3.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Making the Music, March 21, 2010
READ THIS BOOK if you want to understand more about the music and the studio recordings of The Beatles. You will feel like you were there in the studio during the most important sessions of their careers. It will change the way you look at The Beatles, both as individuals and as the greatest popular music phenomenon of all time.

This is a book that describes events in the studio. It is not a memoir outside of that environment, but it gives interesting insight into the personalities of the four musicians who came into that studio, wrote the music, developed the arrangements, created the sounds, captured the performances, enhanced the sounds, and otherwise contributed in one way or another to the magic of those recordings. You will learn more about who and what drove the group, how they interacted, and what contributions others such as the author and George Martin may (or may not) have made to those recordings.

The Beatles were driven to do things that had never been done before; they were always pushing the envelope. They eventually turned to creating music that could be created no other way than in the studio, and they pushed the envelope there as well. The author was a key player in these recording sessions; he helped them to capture sounds that led to such masterpieces as Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Those of us who played their music, followed their careers, and listened intently to their recordings once they left touring behind and moved into the studio will want to read this book to get a glimpse of what it was like to have been there and witnessed their artistry in the studio.

The Art of War
The Art of War
by Sun Tzu
44 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Approachable Presentation, March 21, 2010
This review is from: The Art of War (Hardcover)
This is my first reading of The Art of War, so I cannot comment on the accuracy of the translation or compare this with other translations.

With so many translations in print and such varied opinions about which was the best one to read, I found it confusing to choose one online... so I went to a book store and compared several of the recommended translations side-by-side.

I chose this one (in paperback). I like the fact that the translation appears TWICE -- first without commentary so that you can read the work from start to end without interruption. Then the translation appears a second time with commentary interspersed. I found this presentation to my liking, and the other books I looked at did not have this presentation.

With the caveat that this is my first translation, I recommend this book to someone like myself -- someone who is looking for a good translation and a good presentation.

Beginning SQL Server 2008 for Developers: From Novice to Professional (Expert's Voice in SQL Server)
by Robin Dewson
Price: $36.73
74 used & new from $0.38

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for Developers, March 21, 2010
I have been very disappointed in this book. I am a software developer with many years of relatively lightweight knowledge of SQL. I hoped that this book would teach me a greater depth of knowledge of SQL, including how to master various types of joins, group by, having, etc.

You can imagine my surprise when I looked up the GROUP BY topic and found only one-half page of descriptive text, followed by less than a page of example. There was only a cursory discussion of this topic, which I found very disappointing.

This same disappointment has played out on every topic I have tried to explore to broaden my understanding of SQL. One would expect a book of nearly 500 pages to have some depth on fundamental topics.

I don't really know who would benefit from this book. This is clearly NOT a book for a developer such as myself, and it did not take me "from novice to professional" as I had expected.

If you are looking to broaden your understanding of SQL, look elsewhere.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2012 2:52 PM PDT