Profile for M. Ziniti > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Ziniti RSS Feed (Boston, MA USA Earth)

The Burglar Who Counted the Spoons (Bernie Rhodenbarr Series Book 11)
The Burglar Who Counted the Spoons (Bernie Rhodenbarr Series Book 11)
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars How do I love Spoons? Let me count the ways..., December 11, 2013
"The Burglar Who Counted the Spoons" has everything a fan of Bernie Rhodenbarr could ask for. It's been a long time since Bernie and Carolyn had a conversation about relationships over (something) from Two Guys from (Somewhere), or about a burglary over a Perrier at the Bum Rap. I've missed Ray's dubious interrogations about the murder of some poor schlub who just happened to walk in on a burglary. I never could get enough of Bernie's midnight forays into other peoples' homes to find out who the real killer was. Reading the older books is fun, but there's nothing like reading the words of a master for the first time. One problem with the older books, written in the 1970s, is that so many of the plots depend on the fact that technology was just so lame back then. I enjoyed reading about the troubles Bernie faces in modern times; the Kindle presents problems to a bookseller, and electronic keys present problems to a burglar.

Block also messes with our expectations a bit; we know Bernie isn't the killer, but this time Detective Ray knows it too. Wouldn't it be cool if the next book featured Ray and Bernie teaming up as an amazing crime-solving duo? Block essentially forces us to ask ourselves this question, before gently pointing out what a fantastically stupid idea that would be. In the fictional world, it wouldn't make sense, as Bernie is a convicted felon. In the real world it would make even less sense. I, for one, prefer Bernie as the burglar with a heart of gold.

As shown by the cover, this book focuses on Spoons and Buttons (and books and manuscripts) and the illegal ways in which they can be obtained. There was a lot of trivia about these matters (along the lines of what you'd learn about stamps by reading Block's Keller books). For all I know, those little tidbits of info are about as real as Rabson locks, but I certainly feel like I'm a little smarter than I was before I read the book, so that's good enough for me.

"The Burglar Who Counted the Spoons" is a fun, and funny, take on the murder mystery genre. Is it formulaic? Sure, but frankly by the end there was nothing I wanted more than to have Bernie say to a group of people in Barnegat's, "I suppose you all wonder why I've called you here."

Buy this book and be happy.

Can't Give This War Away: Break Beneath A Bridge
Can't Give This War Away: Break Beneath A Bridge
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words, July 8, 2012
They say that a picture is worth a thousand words, but words themselves also have significant value. Looking at the cover image for this first chapter from "Can't Give This War Away", I was able to tell myself a story (aided by the title, "Break Beneath a Bridge"). However, photojournalist Nathan Webster's text describes the photo in more detail than I could have ever imagined. Why are the soldiers under the bridge? Who is the man in the foreground? Why does he have a knit cap on his head in the desert? Webster calls this picture the best he'll ever take, and he might be right, but the rest of this chapter, and presumably the whole book, is filled with beautiful photos that tell their own stories, not to mention the narrative that underlies and connects them all.

Skylanders: The Machine of Doom
Skylanders: The Machine of Doom
Price: $4.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun read for kids, a little short, May 3, 2012
My two boys read this book today, and recommend it for fans of Skylanders. They both thought the book was a great read. Their main complaints were that it was a little short, and Trigger Happy is not in the book (except for one of the illustrations). It's not available until September in paperback, so grab it now for Kindle!

Crystallization
Crystallization
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Our dangerous obsession with vehicles, April 14, 2011
This review is from: Crystallization (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoy David Gerrold's "voice", and in this short story he uses it to shout about the dangers of our obsession with the automobile. This is a speculative fiction about irreversible gridlock on the streets of Los Angeles. I don't know how realistic the scenario is, but Gerrold sells it pretty well. Each individual step in the story seems reasonable, so the end result is internally consistent at least. I probably could have done without the negative portrayals of the military, republicans, and those evil insurance companies (they pay for acts of God all the time), but I don't count any of those against the merits of the story.

So, why four stars, then? I think the story needs to be cleaned up. Of all the vehicles in the world, Honda Civics are used twice, and then another car mistakenly becomes a Honda as well. I also noticed a handful of typographical errors. I don't think it's too much to ask that if I'm paying $3 for a thirty minute read that it should be essentially perfect, cosmetically speaking.

CrazyOnDigital Premium Essential Accessory Kit for Zune HD. CrazyOnDigital Retail Package

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth the purchase, January 25, 2010
The skins and the screen protector work great. It seems like my Zune is well protected by them. The Cables also work just as expected (USB cable, car charger, and ac adapter). The fact that all these items cost less than any one would cost at an electronics store makes the deal all the more sweet.