Profile for M. JEFFREY MCMAHON > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 305

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. JEFFREY MCMAHON "herculodge" RSS Feed (Torrance, CA USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Colgate Total Daily Repair Toothpaste, 5.8 Ounce
Colgate Total Daily Repair Toothpaste, 5.8 Ounce
Price: $3.47
4 used & new from $3.47

5.0 out of 5 stars A Solid, Minty Toothpaste Recommended by My Dentist, July 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Since I've been using Colgate for over 30 years and since my dentist recommends Colgate Total, I will try to give a non-biased review. This particular Colgate variety targets all areas of tooth decay, including gingivitis. Like other major toothpaste brands, it contains sorbitol and saccharine to create a sweet minty flavor. This type is only for children 6 and above. The texture is perfect, not chalky but consistent as you would expect from a top tier brand. Colgate Total is a fluoride toothpaste, so you're getting a top cavity-fighting ingredient. I don't have any issues with it, either in my mouth or upset stomach. One last note, slightly off topic: My dentist told me that flossing is even more important than brushing, so no toothpaste, no matter how effective, will give you maximum results without flossing. In any event, this is a solid fluoride toothpaste. Recommended.

Black & Decker SC1004D Slow Cooker, 4 Quart, Black/White
Black & Decker SC1004D Slow Cooker, 4 Quart, Black/White
Price: $29.12
12 used & new from $23.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic Slow-Cooker Doesn't Take Up Too Much Counter Space, July 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We've been using a slow cooker with digital readout (purchased on sale at Lowe's) and while it works fine we put it in the garage because it takes up twice the space of the Black & Decker. My wife slow-cooks barbecue chicken and Italian meatballs and finds that the Black & Decker does the same job as our larger, digital slow-cooker. She puts the Black & Decker on the low setting and cooks the chicken and meatballs for 6 hours. Not only does the Black & Decker take up less counter space, but its smaller size fits in the sink during cleaning. It also costs half the larger, digital slow cooker. Honestly, we don't miss the digital readout. Recommended.

Jack Black Nourishing Hair and Scalp Conditioner, 10 oz.
Jack Black Nourishing Hair and Scalp Conditioner, 10 oz.
Price: $20.00
10 used & new from $20.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Thick Conditioner Takes Away Itchy Scalp, July 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife likest the tingling peppermint-like tea tree oil, which is supposed to be good for dandruff and dry scalp. She was annoyed by the directions: Suggested time for leaving it on just says put on for remainder of shower when my wife prefers an optimal time given because of her varied shower times. Also she likes to wash off the conditioner because she doesn't like the residue all over her body.

Rinsing takes a long time because it's thick, sign of a good product. Without conditioner of this quality, my wife will have itchy scalp, but the Jack Black takes the itch away. Recommended.

Dove Advanced Hair Series Ultra Nourishing Conditioner, Quench Absolute 8.45 oz
Dove Advanced Hair Series Ultra Nourishing Conditioner, Quench Absolute 8.45 oz
Price: $4.49
16 used & new from $4.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Thick Conditioner Keeps Hair Moist, July 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife says she is not sure the product did not "quench" her hair, but she liked the thick consistency and during the rinse, she believes there is a residual that stays on the hair and keeps hair moist.

She likes the coconut fresh scent. The texture is thick with little beads. My wife has curly hair, which means her hair is more dry. This product targets this problem.

She likes that she can use this and not use hair products that build up in the hair and look like dandruff.

The package says you have to use the "whole quench system." My wife did not do this. Using only the conditioner, she would give it 4 or 5 stars.

Raising Your Spirited Child: A Guide for Parents Whose Child Is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent, and Energetic
by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka
Price: $11.79
208 used & new from $0.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Many Don't Even Know They Have a Spirited Child, July 23, 2015
This was a must read for me, the father of a 5-year-old spirited child. A therapist told me my daughter was "spirited" or "willful." And then she mentioned some books. Had she not told me my daughter was spirited, I would have never known to get this book. The biggest benefit is that the book made me less angry at my daughter who I learned is spirited from birth, genetics, hard-wiring, not an act of will. In fact, about 10 percent of children are spirited. Parents who go to group therapy in this book describe their constant exhaustion from raising a spirited child. One spirited child is like having 7 "normal" children apparently. It was therapeutic just to read this and not feel so alone and guilty for feeling like a failed parent.

The parents interviewed in Kurcinka's book corroborate all the characteristics my daughter has: bossy, picky, persistent, argumentative (never ending, sending you down a dead end of arguments), exasperating, needy, controlling, stubborn, never admitting wrongdoing . . . I could go on, but you get my point. Such children exhaust and frustrate their parents. Knowing this isn't an act of will gave me more patience and understanding. I also learned that because spirited children are so perceptive, it's important for the mother and father to have an attitude of getting along with one another. My wife and I benefited from this as well. Tension between us translates into our daughter's behavior worsening. We also learned not to label our daughter with all the above characteristics as that will actually make her traits worse. For every negative trait, there is a positive side to it. In fact, spirited children grow up to be intelligent high achievers.

Needless to say, being stern, strict, or angry doesn't motivate the child.You'll have to learn more patient strategies outlined in this book. A new edition comes out soon. I'm sure I'll get it.

The Girl With Nine Wigs: A Memoir
The Girl With Nine Wigs: A Memoir
by Sophie van der Stap
Price: $13.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, There Can be a Wise, Humorous Memoir About Cancer, July 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In Sophie Van Der Stap’s painful, funny, and wise memoir, she recounts how at 21 years of age while attending university as a political science major, she was overcome with mysterious, debilitating symptoms, which eventually led to a diagnosis of a rare cancer, rhabdomyosarcoma, which too often spreads to the liver. Her doctors tell her she must ender 54 weeks of chemo and radiation treatment, that her hair will fallout, and she’ll have to endure excruciating procedures. With courage and wit, Sophie embarks on her hellish journey and writes her account in a diary fashion. We read about her many wigs that represent her different moods and how she names herself after each wig persona. We learn of her friendship to Chantal, also afflicted with cancer. We learn of her infatuation with Dr. K, a “McDreamy” type of doctor with a fantastic personality and her loathing of Dr. L, a vain, churlish type who she is sad to learn takes on the majority of her case. We learn of how her cancer brings her closer to her older sister while emotionally crushing her mother and father. Her suffering brings her greater insight and maturity. At one point, she explains how cancer tempts the afflicted to become bitter misanthropists: “I never disliked someone. But now that I have cancer, I’m suddenly allowed to do so. To dislike others, to dislike life. Hate the world. Moan about everything, call everyone names, shoot everything down. Cancer at twenty-one. . . . Pessimism could be my personality and nobody would criticize me. But it’s not: even cancer has become my friend.” She goes on to explain that cancer has made her see life more clearly: “Cancer has given me not only ultimate solitude but also ultimate happiness and togetherness. Like my wigs, it’s part of me now.”
Combining her hard-fought wisdom with humor in a riveting narrative, her book deserves the highest recommendation.

The Perfect Comeback of Caroline Jacobs: A Novel
The Perfect Comeback of Caroline Jacobs: A Novel
by Matthew Dicks
Price: $18.62

5.0 out of 5 stars For Fans of Anne Tyler and Tom Perrotta, July 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you were to tell me I was going to read a novel about a mother who goes on a road trip with her daughter and during this road trip the mother and daughter’s strained relationship becomes healed and that I would like this novel I would roll my eyes in disbelief. But that’s what happened. I just read Matthew Dicks’ novel The Perfect Comeback of Caroline Jacobs.

The title refers to the novel’s mother who is languishing in a mediocre marriage and a tense relationship with her fifteen-year-old daughter Polly. Caroline is a woman deeply oppressed by the emotional baggage of her high school years: the death of her younger sister, which she continues to blame herself for; and feelings of betrayal from her childhood best friend who humiliated her in the high school cafeteria. Caroline’s baggage has fermented over the decades, making her a shy, repressed woman. But one day at a PTA meeting, Caroline shouts an expletive at the pinch-faced bully of a mother and this social breach becomes the catalyst for Caroline facing her past demons and taking her daughter on a road trip, a 9-hour car drive back to Massachusetts where Caroline must confront the bogey men of her past and in doing so she and her daughter bond in a powerful way that is never sentimental.

Matthew Dicks has a deft touch and keeps a humorous eye on the events, which never sink into melodrama or become overwrought. Readers of Anne Tyler and Tom Perrotta should like this novel. Recommended.

20mm Endmill Watch Band for SEIKO Sumo SBDC001, SBDC003, SBDC005, Submariner Clasp

5.0 out of 5 stars More Masculine and Better Built Than the Stock Bracelet Though Not a Complete Color Match, July 18, 2015
I bought the Endmill for my Seiko Sumo. The Sumo's stock bracelet looks nice but is too thin and rattles a bit too much for my tastes. Also, it doesn't have screw pins, but the cheaper variety. And let me add, the stock bracelet has a beer can aluminum clasp that does not complement the elegant Sumo case. So I went with the Endmill with the submariner clasp. I returned my first Endmill with the chamfer clasp because the chamfer required brute strength to open it up. In contrast, the submariner clasp, which operates on two buttons, is easy to open and close and will have less wear and tear. The Strapcode Endmill has the superior screw pins and a real clasp made of 316 surgical steel. It is heavier than the stock bracelet and makes the watch look more masculine. If you want an exact color match, keep your stock Sumo bracelet. There is a slight mismatch but not enough to bother me. On balance, the Endmill is a welcome upgrade. Recommended.

Lakewood 24-Inch Industrial Grade Drum Fan, LUF2402A-BM
Lakewood 24-Inch Industrial Grade Drum Fan, LUF2402A-BM
Price: $169.99
2 used & new from $152.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Loud and Powerful for Industrial Use, July 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
You can't appreciate the size of this beast until it arrives at your home. It arrives fully assembled. You just lift it out of the box. You'll notice it is covered with black enamel. It has non-corrosive aluminum materials and 6 screws around the grill, which you will want to take off from time to time in order to clean the blades. You will want to use a mild soap solution, no gasoline or thinner.

Even though the blades are 24 inches, the actual grill cover is bigger, 27 inches. The control dial is in the back and has 3 speeds with lowest the first, which I like. On some fans the first increment is maximum speed.

As a point of comparison or reference, I used the Lakewood against my favorite home fan, my Lasko Wind Machine (only $30 and I prefer it over my $100 Vornados). The Lasko is sold as a 20 inch but the blades are really 18. The Lasko Wind Machine is not industrial like the Lakewood 24-inch, so I didn't expect the Lasko to have as much power.

Indeed, the Lakewood creates more of a strong gush and is very loud, too loud, for example, to hear a TV, even if on the lowest setting. You're buying the Lakewood for garage, home gym, etc.

One thing I noticed is that I didn't like the shake and vibration when the fan was in the complete upright position, but after I tilted the fan upward a few inches, the vibration minimized somewhat. The tilting feature is very nice. Also the wheels make this beast of a fan more mobile.

Comparing the Lakewood to my Lasko Wind Machine, I now appreciate the Lasko's noise to wind power ratio, much more impressive than the Lakewood's.

The cord is 3-prong.

For strong winds in your house, I recommend the Lasko Wind Machine, but if you have industrial fan needs, the Lakewood serves its purpose well. Recommended.

Fisher-Price - Disney Minnie - Rainbow Dazzle Minnie
Fisher-Price - Disney Minnie - Rainbow Dazzle Minnie
Price: $24.99
9 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Free Standing, Changing Colors, Singing Minnie, July 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First off, I should say my twin 5-year-old girls are fighting over it, so the Disney Minnie has the "gotta have it" factor. You press the doll's heart button on her left hand and the doll sings a song, "True Colors."

You press the front of Minnie's bow, top, or skirt, to change to several colors. In addition to the "True Colors" song from Cindy Lauper, Minnie utters 25 phrases.

Batteries were already installed so doll was ready to play out of the box. Thankfully, the doll stands on her two feet without wobbling or falling over. I don't assume that with dolls anymore. The limbs don't move except the arms can rotate at the armpits.

If you have twins, buy two. Recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20