Profile for Chandra > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chandra "Too Many Books, Not Enough Time" RSS Feed (Canada)

Canon PIXMA MG6220 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-in-One Printer (5292B002)
Canon PIXMA MG6220 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-in-One Printer (5292B002)
Offered by Hyper Tech (NO TAX Anywhere)
Price: $339.99
17 used & new from $145.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away unless you enjoy frustration, October 25, 2014
It works great . . . when it works. If you have a lot of free time to troubleshoot, replace ink cartridges before they're actually empty, search the internet for solutions to error messages, and email your printing to your friends to print on your behalf or take a memory stick to a print shop, this is the printer for you!

If, however, you work full time, have loved ones to spend time with, and would like a printer that, of all things, prints when you want it to print, then you might not want this one. I'm off to the store to replace this oversized paperweight as soon as I hit "submit," and it won't be a Canon, thank you very much.

Magic Bullet NutriBullet 12-Piece High-Speed Blender/Mixer System
Magic Bullet NutriBullet 12-Piece High-Speed Blender/Mixer System
Offered by AMZNG DEALS SHOP
Price: $94.00
137 used & new from $70.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Homeland Housewares going downhill, November 28, 2012
I became a fan when I purchased the Bullet Express several years ago, which is the "turbo" version of the Magic Bullet. I liked it so much I decided to purchase one for my sister, but it was discontinued. So I bought her a regular Magic Bullet, which is just ho hum next to the Bullet Express. When my Bullet Express finally died, I called Homeland Housewares to see if they had any replacements at all, maybe in the back of a warehouse somewhere. When they said no, I told them they discontinued the wrong product!

Anyway, they said "Wait a few months - we're coming out with the Nutribullet!" A few months later, I ordered the Nutribullet. It's pretty much the same as the Bullet Express (the first item I purchased) but the blades aren't dishwasher safe, they rust, AND no matter how tightly you screw the lid on, it leaks. I have screwed that lid on so tightly that I can't get it off myself, yet it leaks. And then it starts to rust.

I did give it 3 whole stars in this review though, because in spite of the rust and the leaking, it really does a nice job in whipping up chunk-free smoothies.

Homeland Housewares should have kept the Bullet Express and quit while they were ahead. I was a loyal customer for years, buying replacement blades, mugs, etc.

Since I can't afford a Vitamix (yet), I'm going with the Ninja for now.

Magical Thinking: True Stories
Magical Thinking: True Stories
by Augusten Burroughs
Price: $12.39
520 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, a little disturbing, August 31, 2008
Augusten Burroughs does not come across as what you'd call a "nice person," but he's so very honest, funny, and sometimes self-deprecating that the reader can't help being on his side, as he battles a crazy cleaning lady, kills a mouse in his tub, and moves in and out of quasi-relationships with gorgeous, but unsuitable men. And frankly, he appeals to that deep, dark, mean corner we all have suppressed inside, that place where we want to make a snide comment about someone's fatt butt or stupid hairdo. I adore how he hated sickeningly perfect Raoul on their first date, and his description of his schoolteacher in the opening chapter was a delight.

When Dennis enters the picture, we see Augusten's tender side, his appreciation for another's vulnerability, and we start to think perhaps Augusten has been holding out on us, letting us see only his vanity/insecurity polarity, his delayed-reaction remorse for mouse-killing and child-frightening, keeping this kinder Augusten hidden until the time is right.

While reading this book, I couldn't help thinking that I'd love to have him over for dinner, but I wouldn't let him babysit my child.

Augusten Burroughs is a great writer and enigmatic presence on the literary scene.

Full Moon Soup
Full Moon Soup
by Alastair Graham
27 used & new from $0.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging!, January 7, 2008
This review is from: Full Moon Soup (Hardcover)
My daughter brought this home from her school library last year when she was in kindergarten. We had great fun with it. She checked it out two more times over the course of the school year. She's in Grade 1 now and has already brought the book home once. So we bought it for her, and she was delighted to get it.

The book is a series of pictures of the inside of a hotel. In each of the rooms, you see various characters engaged in activities (cooking, cleaning, checking in, etc). As you turn the pages, you see looming disasters from all directions, and each page shows how each character is affected at each stage. It's very humourously done.

The newer edition is in the form of a "find the . . . " book. This addition is entirely unnecessary as our daughter found the original version highly entertaining. But she's very happy with the new edition we ordered, as well.

Sewing for Plus Sizes: Creating Clothes that Fit and Flatter
Sewing for Plus Sizes: Creating Clothes that Fit and Flatter
by Barbara Deckert
Price: $14.05
74 used & new from $3.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed the way I view sewing for myself, April 8, 2007
This book encourages you to stop sewing apologetically for your body, and to dress expressively regardless of your size. Other reviewers have commented that the author's recommendations regarding fabrics with large or bold patterns, or lots of fancy bling-bling are inappropriate for large women. The author makes it clear early on that dressing to look slimmer isn't the ultimate objective here.

The author models a lot of clothing in the photographs. She is brashly large and beautiful and clearly has no intention of trying to fade into the background, as so many large women are tempted to do.

I also love her language and her matter-of-fact way of handling large-women issues, such as extra strain on certain seams that should be reinforced, and fabric choice for our comfort. There's nothing giggly or abashed about it - in fact, it points the finger at the clothing industry for its insufficient and lame attempts to satisfy our clothing needs.

I also appreciated her explanations regarding why commercial patterns never seem to fit. First of all, designers aren't trained to design clothes for real women - they only work with size 8 mannequins. Secondly, pattern manufacturers generate plus-sized patterns simply by expanding out proportionally a "regular" sized pattern - and that's not how we're shaped. When we gain weight, we gain a lot in some areas and not so much in others, and we all do it differently.

I also now know that even if I don't have the exactly correct sized pattern, I can alter it to fit my measurements - something I haven't been as good at before. Now I can buy a lot more of those cool vintage patterns on Ebay!

Say Hello to the Morning
Say Hello to the Morning
Offered by CD Baby
Price: $21.46
24 used & new from $0.27

5.0 out of 5 stars My three-year-old loves this, January 23, 2005
I borrowed this from the library, and am now at Amazon to order it.
My three-year-old daughter always asks for this cd in the car, which is a relief to us because she's been on a Wiggles jag for the past year. Now she says she wants to hear "that lady" singing.
The songs are in the perfect range for little ones' voices to sing along. They vary in length & genre (folk, caribbean-influence, western cowboy, old-timey/bluegrass, etc.) And no song is too long (because my three-year-old insists that whichever song is playing come to an end before she'll get out of the car).
Ms. Reid-Naiman's voice is appealing as well. There is nothing operatic or contrived in her delivery. In fact, she has a very accessible style, like someone's mother or teacher who happens to be able to carry a tune.
I notice that this project was produced by Ken Whitely, who is an awesome producer and musician. I'd never heard of Kathy Reid-Naiman, but seeing that this was a Whitely project prompted me to give it a try.
In a world of jangly, pointless, and condescending kids' music, this is a refreshing listen.

The Art of Exceptional Living
The Art of Exceptional Living
by Jim Rohn
Edition: Audio CD
Price: $14.80
52 used & new from $6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to Jim Rohn, December 26, 2004
This work was my first foray into the world of Jim Rohn. I decided to check him out after learning that Anthony Robbins cut his teeth in Rohn's seminar business.

The only reason I gave this a 4 instead of a 5 is because this really is more of an introductory taste of the "You control your destiny" kind of work. It looks like his other works are more specific. This would be a great gift for someone who has never checked out a self-help book or audiotape, and I believe it would especially appeal to the younger set (20's & 30's).

I had no idea what to expect regarding Rohn's delivery style, and I must say he's a delight to listen to. His voice has an unusual cadence that makes listening to him particularly fun.

I plan on checking out Rohn's other works soon.

The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
by Andy Andrews
Edition: Audio CD
8 used & new from $22.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, December 26, 2004
This review addresses the cd-audio edition of the Traveler's Gift. This work is probably better appreciated in the print form, as sometimes the story was a bit slow-moving, and other times, one wants to linger over some of the points (specifically, the seven decisions).

Also, the narrator often sounded like he had just a little bit of excess moisture in his mouth. I kept wishing he would pause and swallow before continuing!

All in all, a very sweet, thought-provoking little story with a nod to "It's a Wonderful Life."