Profile for Stephen M. Charme > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Stephen M. Charme RSS Feed (central New Jersey)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Lunch Bag by Freddie and Sebbie - Luxury Insulated Reusable Black Lunch Bag - This Insulated Lunch Bag Is The Perfect Solution For Keeping Anything Cool - Can Be Used As A, Lunch Bag For Women, Lunch Bag For Man, Lunch Bag For Kids, Lunch Bag For Girls, Lunch Bag For Boys, Lunch Bag Cooler Or Lunch Bag Container - The Perfect Lunch Bag For Any Ocassion - Protect Your Investment - Comes With A Lifetime Guarantee
Offered by Freddie and Sebbie
Price: $7.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice lunch bag, February 26, 2015
I received this at no cost. Here are my comments.

1. This is well made, looks really nice, and is priced below what lesser lunch bags sell for.

2. This has a nice carry handle plus a carry strap, two generous sized mesh water pockets on the outside, a mesh pocket on the inside of the cover flap, and plenty of room for lunch.

3. This opens from the side rather than the top, which makes it easier to take sealed containers in and out.

Bottom line: Very good value

Travel Pillow - Snoozlite Travel Neck Pillow - Perfect fit for traveling - Compact in size - Five year money back guarantee.
Offered by RSL GROUP
Price: $44.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard as a rock and very uncomfortable, February 25, 2015
I received this at no cost. Although this looks nice and seems to be well made, it's one of the worst travel pillows I have tested. Why? Because it's much too stiff and hard as a rock. This is extremely uncomfortable to wear around my neck. I like travel pillows that are plush like this but are much softer.

I understand that different people may have different ideas of what's "firm", but believe me there's no way you'll think this is soft and mushy.

Bottom line: There's no way I could take a snooze in this.

Curious George Teach
Curious George Teach
Price: $22.96
29 used & new from $19.09

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice plush toy but zero educational value, February 25, 2015
This review is from: Curious George Teach (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a nice plush toy, though a bit overpriced. If I saw this in the store I wouldn't pay more than $18.

As far as educational value, this is a joke for either my 4 year 1 month old granddaughter or 22 month old grandson. Here's my assessment of the five "teaching" items

--velcro pocket: both my grandchildren have worn sneakers with velcro tabs from an early age, so the velcro on the pocket is nothing new

--snap button pocket: I had trouble buttoning this, so all this will cause is unnecessary frustration for a child

--large shoulder button: nobody wears clothes with a button this large (almost the size of a half dollar), and my granddaughter couldn't do it

--bow tie: the cord is very thin and way too long; not easy for a child to work with

--shoulder strap: again nobody wear clothes with this kind of strap, and threading it back in required more dexterity than a young child has

The real problem with this toy is that a child old enough to have the manual dexterity to do everything will have no interest in playing with curious George, and playing with buttons and snaps etc. is not that exciting in the first place compared to all the other wonderful teaching toys on the market.

Bottom line: My grandchildren like Curious George so he's fun to have around. But don't buy this to "teach" anything.

Yaktrax Pro Traction Cleats for Snow and Ice, Black, Medium
Yaktrax Pro Traction Cleats for Snow and Ice, Black, Medium
Offered by -Supermart
Price: $23.94
36 used & new from $20.56

3.0 out of 5 stars I think the NANOspikes work better for runners, February 24, 2015
I bought these and returned them, and in their place bought the Kahtoola NANOspikes Footwear Traction System, which I really like. Here's why.

1. These were a bit of a nuisance to put on. Yes, I could do it, but it was more of a struggle than I wanted.

2. These just were not comfortable for running. I use the Newton Gravity, which is a minimalist running shoe, and I could feel the coils when I ran. Not comfortable.

3. Sometimes when I run I encounter dry surfaces along the way. These felt a bit slippery on dry asphalt and concrete.

4. By contrast, the NANOspikes (which I have reviewed on Amazon), were much easier to put on, more compact to store or travel with (they come with a bag), more comfortable to run in but still provided great traction, and were not slippery at all on dry surfaces. Plus they were compact enough to carry on my wrist when I came to a long stretch of dry pavement.

Bottom line: These work, but for a runner I recommend the NANOspikes, which cost double, but are worth it.

Fenix - Portable [Silver] Charger 6000 mAh 5V 1A External Power Bank with Indicator Light for iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, HTC, LG and More [Includes a Micro USB Cable]
Offered by Bastexwireless - Authorized ZeroLemon Retailer
Price: $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy something else, February 24, 2015
I received this in silver at no cost. Here are my comments.

1. First impressions count, at least that's my experience in dealing with other sellers. However this arrived in a cheap plain white box. Not a problem, but what was a problem is that the cap on the end covering the enclosed batteries was sticking half way up, and with little effort I removed it altogether. I figured maybe all I had to do was reposition it so it would stay in place. Nope, couldn't do it. I know the power bank is cheap, but I've tested power banks that are just as cheap but are better made.

2. No micro USB cable was included, which another review says will happen in future deliveries. That's nice, but I review based only on what I receive, and this is the first power bank I've ever received without a micro USB cable.

3. In terms of performance this charged my iPhone 6 okay, but is definitely heavier than comparable 6000 mAh power banks.

Bottom line: This is not something I would recommend given all the choices out there.

Update February 25, 2015: The seller has confirmed to another reviewer that the single port charges at only 1A. But the newer power banks have a single port that charges at 2.1A or else have two ports--1A and 2.1A. So this product is behind the technology curve. Yet another reason to buy something else.

Samsonite Double Inflatable Neck Pillow Grey
Samsonite Double Inflatable Neck Pillow Grey
Offered by Samsonite Company Stores
Price: $8.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to deflate, February 23, 2015
I received this at no cost. Here are my comments.

1. I liked the concept of an inflatable pillow that I could bring in my pocket to the airport, inflate on the plane, and deflate when we landed. I realized that such a pillow would not be nearly as comfortable as a non-inflatable (and this pillow definitely is not), but that was a tradeoff I was willing to make for the convenience of an inflatable.

2. This product was reasonably easy to inflate. But deflating it was difficult. Good thing I practiced at home before taking this on a plane. Instead of an easy to open deflate valve that would deflate this in seconds, you have to deflate this by squeezing the air out of the rubber piece you use to blow it up. It took me about 15 minutes to do that.

Bottom line: Good concept but poor design. Just plan to start deflating this as soon as you start your descent.

iPhone 6 Plus Case, Obliq [Card Kickstand] iPhone 6 Plus (5.5) Case [SkyLine Pro][Champagne Gold]
Price: $14.99
7 used & new from $4.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good and will protect your phone, February 23, 2015
I received this at no cost. Here are my comments.

1. This case looks really good and provides a mid-level of protection, which is all many people need. It's not an Otterbox, but it's fine for most drops and shocks.

2. The phone fits easily into the case, and comes out just as easily. All the cutouts for audio, charging, camera, etc. are fine, and the volume buttons work well.

Bottom line: Good looking case with decent protection
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2015 3:44 PM PST

iPhone 6 Plus Case, Obliq [Slim Meta] Ultra Slim Fit [All Around Protection] iPhone 6 (5.5) Cases [Champagne Gold] - Premium Dual Coated Polycarbonate Elegant Modern Minimalistic Design - Best Apple iPhone 6 case for 5.5 Inch (2014)-(Does NOT fit iPhone 5 5S 5C 4 4s or iPhone 6 4.7 inch screen) - Champagne Gold
Offered by CITIEMOBILE
Price: $11.99
2 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very stylish but somewhat difficult to remove, February 23, 2015
I received this at no cost. Here are my comments.

1. This is a very stylish looking case, though it offers minimal protection.

2. It's more difficult to remove your phone from this case than most. The case fits very tight once your phone is in it, and there's no easy way to remove it, though it can be done.

Bottom line: Looks really good, but not something if you need protection.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2015 3:43 PM PST

Kahtoola NANOspikes Footwear Traction System
Kahtoola NANOspikes Footwear Traction System
Price: $49.95 - $50.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for running or walking, February 22, 2015
I had two concerns when I bought this: (1) how would it perform on snow and ice, and (2) how would it perform on surfaces with no snow or ice, since conditions vary on the running route I take. The answer to both questions is just fine, so let's take a closer look at this.

1. I prefer this over the Yaktraks Pro, which I bought and returned for two reasons: (1) This is easier to put on, and (2) this is more comfortable to walk and run in because it has essentially a flat surface with small rounded spikes (nothing sharp or pointy to cut your fingers, but still effective on snow and ice), while the Yaktraks uses coils.

I run in the Newton Gravity, which is a minimalist running shoe. How does it feel running with this on? No different than when I run on an easy dirt trail, so in no way does this crimp my running style. This is in contrast to the YakTraks Pro, where the coils felt uncomfortable and not completely stable underfoot.

2. This excels on hard packed snow and ice. I feel much more secure when I run and don't feel like I'm going to slip.

3. But what happens if conditions vary and you come to a stretch without snow or ice. No problem. I've easily run on clean concrete sidewalks and street asphalt without any problem. I've walked on flagstone (by the boathouse in a local park) and bathroom tiles (inside the park restroom), and only the tiles felt a little slippery underfoot. So don't worry about slipping in this in dry conditions.

I've also run with this in snow that's a few inches and in slush. Maybe it was in my head, but I did feel more secure.

4. On a recent run the spikes on my right foot stayed perfectly in place, though the ones on my left foot needed to be adjusted every 1/2 miles or so. Not sure why, and it took only a few seconds. Maybe I have to center it better the next time I run.

5. On one run it soon became clear that there was no need for this. Not a problem. I easily removed this from each foot and slipped it over one wrist through the webbing (I had other stuff in my running jacket pocket, so that wasn't an option). This is very lightweight, and running with it over my wrist was barely noticeable.

6. This comes with a nice zippered pouch for travel and storage that I was actually able to fit this back into after I used it.

Bottom line: This is easy to use and very effective.

HooToo TripMate Nano Wireless N Pocket Travel Router
HooToo TripMate Nano Wireless N Pocket Travel Router
Offered by Sunvalleytek
Price: $17.99
5 used & new from $16.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy for home or travel, February 21, 2015
I bought this for an upcoming trip but decided to test it at home first. It works fine to create a separate WiFi network using either an ethernet connection or an existing WiFi network, though the included directions are not the best. But once you figure this out it's pretty simple to use. Here are some tips.

1. Remember to bring an ethernet cable when you travel. None is included with this product.

2. Remember to bring the included micro USB cable. This has no internal battery and won't work unless it's connected to a USB power source. Not a problem for me when I travel because I bring a 6 port USB AC charger as well as power banks. If you want an internal battery, there are two other models that have one. The newest is the Elite, which also lets you charge your gadgets.

3. The TripMate WiFi network will only be as strong the existing network you are using, so obviously an ethernet connection will produce a faster network.

4. Make sure the switch to the left of the micro USB port is in the correct position for wired network (to the left) or wireless (to the right). Otherwise this won't work.

5. When this is powered there is a blue light that goes on. When an internet connection is made, a green light goes on next to the blue light. If you don't see that green light, then you have no internet access.

6. If you want to use this in a coffee shop or hotel lobby, then bring a power bank to power it (or else buy the Elite with the built in power bank).

7. This is handy to use in your house if you want a guest WiFi network so you don't have to give out the password of your main network.

8. If you use this in a hotel, only the Mac address of the this unit will show up on the hotel's system. You can then log on with up to 5 more gadgets.

9. When you set up a TripMate WiFi network at home, there's no need to open a browser to put in your password. Instead you do that on the TripMate page that lists your wireless network. But in a hotel, you'll also have to open a browser to take you to the hotel's logon site (obviously you don't have such a site with your home network).

Bottom line: This is an inexpensive way to create a WiFi network using an existing network.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20