Profile for Stephen M. Charme > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Stephen M. Charme RSS Feed (central New Jersey)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Gear Beast GearBuds Sports Water Resistant (IPX5) Noise Reducing Stereo In-Ear headphones with Microphone, Remote, Universal Volume Control and Comfort Wire Ear Hooks (Black)
Offered by Gear Beast
Price: $17.99
2 used & new from $15.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy something else, April 30, 2015
I received this at no cost. Here are my comments.

1. Gear Beast makes lots of high quality and effective products. Sad to say this isn't one of them. Let me be more specific.

2. This comes with an assortment of earbuds, including the corkscrew kind that are found on better noise isolating headsets like those made by Etymotic. The problem is that the earbuds for this product are too mushy, unlike the stiffer and higher quality earbuds used by a company like Etymotic. The result is that they don't stay in my ears, let alone provide any noise isolation. Too bad because Gear Beast had the right idea, but just used a cheap rubber material that stops these from working the way they should.

There are also standard non corkscrew earbuds to choose from, but those are even worse in terms of staying put, and offer no noise isolation at all.

3. The sound quality on these is decent and more than acceptable for running, if only they would stay put in my ears.

Bottom line: I've tested lots of sports headsets for running and exercise. This product is not among the better ones out there. Take a pass on this despite the usually reliable Gear Beast name.

Also note that as of the date of this review not a single reviewer has actually purchased this product--they all got it for free, like me. However I don't give glowing reviews to a product just because I received it for free or because it carries a certain brand name.

adidas Defender II Duffel Bag (Small), Bold Blue, 11.75 x 20.5 x 11-Inch
adidas Defender II Duffel Bag (Small), Bold Blue, 11.75 x 20.5 x 11-Inch
Price: $36.46
2 used & new from $33.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice duffel bag, April 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a nice lightweight no frills bag that is perfect for the gym, but not something that you would want to subject to constant rough handling because the material is thin.

Despite its "small" size, the interior is big enough for sneakers, towels, etc. There is a small interior zippered pocket, two large outside zippered pockets and a detachable shoulder strap.

This is just the right size to stuff into the locker at the gym.

Bottom line: This looks good and works well if you want a lightweight small duffel bag.

Mudder® 0.01pH High Accuracy Pocket Size Automatic Calibration pH Meter with ATC(0~50℃) , 0.00-14.00 pH Measurement Range, 0.01 pH Resolution Handheld Water Quality Tester, No Adjustment Screwdriver Needed
Offered by Mudder Online US
Price: $19.99

2.0 out of 5 stars You can't calibrate this without a special solution that is not included, April 30, 2015
I received this at no cost. Here are my comments.

1. Even though this costs more than other comparable PH testers on Amazon, it doesn't come with the special solution that is included with those other testers for calibration. You can't just use this out of the box. First you have to calibrate it using a special solution that is not included. I don't like any product that won't work unless you first go out and buy something else.

2. I've given this product to someone who says they will get the special solution to calibrate this and test it out. After they do, I'll update my review.

Bottom line: Regardless of whether this works, I suggest you buy something else that already comes with the necessary solution for calibration.

Merino Wool Hinged Balaclava - Mid-weight Winter Ski / Motorcycle Face Mask - Headphone Opening - One Size Fit Most for Men and Women - Moisture Wicking - Comfortable - 100 Percent Money Back Guarantee
Offered by TenTenTI
Price: $35.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice balaclava but not for windy conditions, April 29, 2015
I received this at no cost. Here are my comments.

1. I own lots of merino wool products. I like them because they provide warmth without bulk, don't itch, and never stink no matter how much you sweat in them. I also own balaclavas (though none made of Merino wool) that I use when I go running, hiking and snowshoeing in the winter. So a balaclava made of merino wool interested me. I was not disappointed by this product.

2. This is nice and thin and therefore easier to put on and adjust than other balaclavas, especially because of the hinged design. The opening for a headset cable is a nice touch, though I always use bluetooth headsets so that I don't have to worry about wires.

3. This feels comfortable against my face and fits nicely. It's well made with careful stitching. Although this is one size fits all, I don't find it too large at all and I'm not a big guy.

4. Thankfully the winter in the Northeast is over so I'll have to wait until next winter to test this outdoors. Since this has the same look and feel of other merino wool products I own, I don't anticipate any problems.

However, keep in mind that merino wool products offer no protection against the wind, which goes right through them. I went snowshoeing this past winter on an afternoon when the real feel was 15 degrees below zero due to 20 m.p.h. winds. I used a Seirus Innovation balaclava with a windproof layer that kept me warm and frostbite free. This merino wool balaclava is not for such conditions.

Bottom line: Merino wool products can be expensive, so this is very reasonably priced at around $20. This is a good way to keep your face warm in cold but not windy conditions.

Kelsyus Floating Lounger
Kelsyus Floating Lounger
Price: $39.43
10 used & new from $37.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice once you get it in the water but inflation and folding are a bit of a pain, April 28, 2015
This review is from: Kelsyus Floating Lounger (Sports)
I bought this at my local Costco for $28.99. Once you have it inflated, it works well, but here are some things to keep in mind.

1. Better quality inflatables have inflation valves that let air in but don't easily let air out. That makes inflation very easy. This product isn't one of them. Instead you have to pull the valve up in order to inflate it, and then have to push it down once you're done inflating to stop the air from rushing out. Easier said then done. I finally discovered the trick was to put my finger on the valve opening the second I removed my inflator, and then push the valve down with my finger on it. A very inconvenient design, but it works. There are two valves--a main valve in back of the headrest and another valve to inflate the foot rest.

2. I use an Intex Quick-Fill AC Electric pump for all my inflatables. Not only did that make inflating this a breeze (once I discovered how to keep the air in by immediately putting my finger on the inflation valve when I was done and pushing it down), but deflation as well. The Intex has two openings--one that blows air in and one that sucks it out. It took me a couple of minutes to inflate both the top and bottom, but less than a minute to deflate both.

3. This folds into a circle and can be placed in the included mesh bag for storage or travel. The diameter when folded is just 18", so this is easy to pack. It's not as easy to fold, and I couldn't find any videos showing how to do it. However, I've had other twist and fold items, and figured it out after a couple of attempts. There are printed directions attached to this that supposedly show how to fold it, but they're far from clear.

Bottom line: This is comfortable to use in the water and compact to travel with. With better inflation valves and better folding directions this would be easier to use.

O'Neill Wake Waterski Men's Superlite USCG Vest (Met/Red/Blk, Large)
O'Neill Wake Waterski Men's Superlite USCG Vest (Met/Red/Blk, Large)
Price: $51.72
2 used & new from $44.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice waterski vest, April 28, 2015
Normally I wear a size 40 in a suit, but based on the reviews I sized up from a Medium to a Large (41-44 inch chest), and it fits me perfectly. The buckles are very easy to adjust, and I don't miss not having a zipper. I wear a thin shirt underneath, so this is perfect.

As other reviews for the met/red/blk vest note, the picture on Amazon is NOT what the product looks like. It's a much darker gray. It looks fine, but I would have preferred the lighter gray shown in the picture on Amazon.

This is a Type III flotation device, which is not mentioned on the Amazon product page.

O'Neill makes quality products and this is one of them. Nice stitching, good quality material and comfortable to wear.

Bike Light Kit: Super Bright Removable Bicycle Flashlight and Strong 9-LED Taillight (7 Different Lighting Modes) No Tools Required - Improves Safety and Security
Offered by Beach Camera Same Day Shipping
Price: $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice bike kit but you do need a Philips screwdriver to install and remove the tail light plus a coin to the change batteries, April 28, 2015
I received this at no cost. Here are my comments.

1. This is an excellent bike light kit on several levels. The lights are well made and easy to use. Just push a button on the front light to alternate between a solid light and a strobe. Just push a button on the tail light to alternate between multiple different lighting modes. The front light runs on 3 AAA batteries (included) and the tail light runs on 2 AAA batteries (not included).

Installing the batteries in the front light was simple. Just unscrew the battery lid. The tail light required a coin to pry it apart. After I put the batteries in, the O ring around the case kept slipping off when I tried to snap the the tail light together. It was more of an effort than on other tail lights I've used.

2. The front light easily installs without tools because it has a thumbscrew. The tail light lacks this, and instead has a Philips screw and a nut. Contrary to the seller's claim "no tools required", you do need a Philips screwdriver to install the tail light. Once installed both lights are easy to remove, though once again you need a Philips screwdriver to remove the tail light. These are perfect to bring on vacation if you are renting a bicycle and want to have front and rear lights. The combined weight of both of these with batteries installed is 6.8 oz, so not a big deal to pack.

Bottom line: This set is a good way to get removable bike lights for travel or just to switch between bikes at home. While no tools are required for the front light, you do need a Philips screwdriver to install and remove the tail light and a coin to pry it open to change the batteries. Therefore it's misleading and inaccurate to advertise this as "no tools required", since that applies only to the front light. Therefore I deducted one star.

The Stranger
The Stranger
by Harlan Coben
Price: $14.64
183 used & new from $7.93

4.0 out of 5 stars First rate writing but a contrived and implausible ending, April 28, 2015
This review is from: The Stranger (Hardcover)
Harlan Coben is a master writer whose novels are set in New Jersey, though in this novel he creates a fictional wealthy New Jersey suburb called Cedarfeld to serve as the backdrop for some dark secrets and ultimately murder. While at a lacrosse event for his son, the novel's protagonist Adam Price is approached by a stranger who reveals a very disturbing secret about Adam's wife, who soon goes missing. During the course of the novel the stranger approaches other people with dark secrets, though in their cases he demands a $10,000 fee to keep the secret buried. Where does the stranger get his information? Online of course. This novel shows how in the age of the internet privacy can easily be invaded with some deadly consequences.

Coben masterfully strips the veneer from the lives of some of the prominent people who live in Cedarfeld to expose that the outward appearances of happiness and financial success conceal some ugly truths. He also skillfully shows how critical family life is in the suburbs and raises the question more than once as to how far a person will go to protect his family from the ugly truths that lurk in Cedarfeld.

The novel is well written and fast paced with lots of interesting characters. For anyone who is immersed in suburban life you will recognize these people as well as the town they live in. The town and the characters may be ficitional, but New Jersey has many real life counterparts.

My problem with this novel, which other readers share, is that some of the many twists and turns were contrived, and the ending was totally unbelievable. I had the sense that Coben needed to wrap things up, and took a quick but highly implausible route to accomplish that. Nevertheless I enjoyed reading this novel and found it entertaining.

Premium Shave Set for Men with Shaving Brush, Shaving Razor, Bowl in Black & Silver, Great Gift for Your Husband, Boyfriend and Father
Offered by ZeroshopUS
Price: $20.90
2 used & new from $17.90

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy something else, April 27, 2015
I received this at no cost. I tossed it out. Here's why.

1. This looks much better in the picture in Amazon than in person, where you can see how cheap looking and cheap feeling this is.

2. The shaving brush is poor quality. I have a really good shaving brush where the hairs stay together when I apply my shaving gel, which lets me minimize the amount of gel and spread it smoothly. By contrast, the hairs on this brush spread apart so more gel is needed, but with a less uniform application.

3. The quality of the included razor blade is also poor. It's a simple two edge blade cartridge that is no match for the Gilette pro fusion blade that I use.

4. The soap dish is cheap plastic and the holder is cheap metal.

5. At around $25 this is definitely not a good value.

Bottom line: One of the worst quality and least effective shaving kits I've tried. Take a pass on this.

iPad Air 2 Case,iBerry Slim Flip PU Leather Folio Case with Smart Cover Auto Sleep / Wake Feature Stand Case Cover for Apple iPad Air 2 (iPad 6),Sweet Smile
Offered by UPlus Deals
Price: $15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works okay, April 27, 2015
I received this at no cost. Here are my comments.

1. This case is thicker than I like. I get the same protection for my iPad Air 2 in a thinner case with a see through plastic back.

2. The interior plastic holder for the iPad is pliable rubber rather than a rigid plastic and looks kind of cheap.

3. This case is not something I would take out at a business meeting. Just doesn't have a professional look or feel to it, though I understand that for some people that doesn't matter.

Bottom line: This works okay but is not something I will use.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20