Profile for Stephen M. Charme > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Stephen M. Charme RSS Feed (central New Jersey)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Gorilla Gear TM Outdoor Powerbank (2 Pack) - 3,000 mAh Water Resistant, Shock Proof, Rugged Powerbank Two Pack - Color, Black - Lifetime Guarantee by Gorilla Gear

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice power bank but no indicator light to indicate charge level, December 12, 2014
I received this at no cost. Here are my comments.

1. These two travel banks are compact (3 3/4" x 15/16" x 15/16"), water resistant and rugged. A rubber shell encases the charger and a rubber cover protects the micro USB charging port (micro USB cables are included for each charger) and USB 1A output port.

2. These are comfortable to hold in your hand and look good.

3. When you charge this, a miniscule red light next to the micro USB port indicates charging is in progress and turns blue when this is fully charged.

4. Unfortunately, though, this lacks the indicator light that most power banks have to tell you how much of a charge is left. With this product there is absolutely no way to tell whether you have 90% or 10% power left. That's a major disadvantage, espeically for people who are on the go.

Bottom line: These are nice power banks, but are flawed by the lack of an indicator light. Unless you need the rugged exterior, I suggest buying a power bank that easily shows you how much power is left.

[Apple MFI Certified] Lightning to USB Cable Sync & Charge for Apple iPhone 6 / 6 Plus / 5S / 5C / 5 / iPod Nano 7 / iPad Mini 2/ Retina / Mini 3 / iPad 4 / iPad Air / Air 2-3. 3 Feet / 1 Meter (white)
Offered by LevinDirect
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Economical and effective Lightning cable, December 12, 2014
I received this at no cost. Here are my comments.

1. This cable looks just like my original Apple Lightning cable--same length, same color and most important same size for the head from which the metal tip protrudes. Some companies make a wider head, and that's a problem for me to use with my case, which only has room on the charging port opening to accept an Apple size head.

2. This charges my iPhone 6 just as well as the original Apple cable--but at a small fraction of the price.

3. I have used Levin products before and find them to be good quality and well made. This cable is no different.

Bottom line: This is an inexpensive way to have an extra Lightning cable handy.

Jelly Comb [ Beat All Series] Wireless Portable Bluetooth Speaker with LED Lantern Lamp & FM Radio - Wild Loud + Crystal + Outdoor & Home + Phone Call + Innovative Bright LED [60 Days Money Back + 1 Year Manufacture Warranty]
Offered by Jelly Comb
Price: $29.99
3 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for camping (but not home or office), December 11, 2014
I received this at no cost. Here are my comments.

1. My 5 star rating is based on using this as a camping item, which is how this is being marketed, as shown by the pictures on Amazon. There is no way I would recommend this for office or home use:

--This looks like a camping item, not stylish at all. It's made of plastic and the words "Made in China" appear in large raised letters on the top.

--Every time you turn this on a very loud voice announces "Bluetooth Mode, Pairing, Connected". There is no way to decrease the volume on this voice no matter how low the volume is on this unit. It would be very annoying on a daily basis, but is tolerable for camping.

--The sound quality is above average and what I expect at this price point of $29.99. But it doesn't compare to the sound on more expensive bluetooth speakers I listen to in the office and at home.

However, for camping this speaker has a lot going for it, so let's take a look.

3. The included directions are terrible, but the pictures on Amazon tell the story. This has a plastic carry handle that folds flush with the top. You can twist the speaker where the red circle is and it will open as pictured on Amazon. There is a light switch that provides two levels of light, so now you have a camp lantern. Want just a simple flashlight? Close the speaker up and just use the light at the bottom. This isn't a powerful LED light, but is more than adequate to find things around a campsite.

4. This has an FM radio button, but it proved worthless. I'm located in a major metropolitan area where I can receive dozens of FM stations--but not a single one on this unit. However that doesn't surprise me because there's no external antenna of any kind.

5. The + and - buttons do double duty: long press to raise or lower volume, short press to go forward or back. Pretty standard on many lower end bluetooth speakers (the better ones have separate buttons for each function). There is a another button that does double duty: short press for play/pause and long press for FM mode (which results in another loud voice announcment, followed by a second announcement when you return to bluetooth mode). But since the FM feature is worthless, I use that button only for play/pause.

6. This charges with a micro USB cable (included) and can be played at the same time it's charging. That means if you go camping you can plug a power bank into this while it's playing music.

7. This is compact (3 9/16" diameter and 2 1/4" tall when folded) and not heavy. Very practical to put in a backpack or pack with your camping supplies.

8. I virtually never use a music bluetooth speaker to answer calls, so I didn't test the phone feature very much. However, I thought it was very cool that the speaker announced the number of the incoming call.

Bottom line: I think this is an excellent item for people who go camping. But no way would I use this in my office or at home.

Tackform Solutions Ultra Grip - Mount - Retail Packaging - Black
Tackform Solutions Ultra Grip - Mount - Retail Packaging - Black
Offered by Tackform Solutions
Price: $19.99
3 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb mount, December 10, 2014
I received this at no cost. Here are my comments.

1. This is one of the easiest and most effective mounts I have tried. I turned the spring loaded arms sideways (they appear vertically in the picture on Amazon), and in a matter of seconds adjusted them to hold my iPhone 6 in its case. There is a knob for tightening the spring loaded arms to ensure a precise fit.

My iPhone 6 doesn't move around at all when it's held in place by the spring loaded arms, but I can easily remove it in a second if I want to, and can just as easily replace it between the spring loaded arms when I'm done. I only had to adjust the spring loaded arms once.

This ability to easily take my iPhone in and out as I please, but still have it very secure when it is between the spring loaded arms, makes this mount stand out from all the others that I have tried. I can also slide the phone up and down as I please to make sure I have full use of all buttons. That stands in contrast to other mounts where your phone can't be moved (let alone easily removed) once it's locked in place.

While the spring loaded arms are plastic, they have rubber grips on them, so even if my IPhone was not in a case, it would still be protected from being scratched by the mount.

2. Once my iPhone was in between the spring loaded arms, I attached everything to the base. It took literally two seconds. I just pushed the ball on the base into the opening on the mount, and tightened it with the plastic collar. Everything is rock solid.

Besides the knob that tightens the spring loaded arms and the knob that tightens the mount to the base, there is a third knob that lets you tighten your phone at whatever angle you want.

3. I have this on the desk in my office. The nonadhesive suction base is incredible. Even without pushing the lever down for a tighter fit, the base doesn't move at all. In fact it requires a noticeable effort for me to reposition it on my desk. I purposedly smacked the base hard from the side once I had pushed the lever down--it didn't budge at all!.

4. There is an included window/dashboard mount, but that's not something I need.

5. The overall quality of the plastic and construction is good. Nothing cheap looking or flimsy about this. It's built like a tank.

Bottom line: Look no further for the right mount to keep your iPhone 6 secure without having to remove its case, and with the ability to take your phone in and out of the mount easily, and without having to go through any locking process except for the initial adjustment.

GOgroove AudiOHM H2O Waterproof Sports Headphones ( Aqua Blue ) with iPX 8 Certified Waterproof Rating and Flexible Sports Earhooks - Works with Android Smartphones , iPhones , MP3 Players , Tablets , MP3 Players and many more!
Offered by Beach Audio
Price: $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely waterproof but very mediocre sound, December 10, 2014
I received this at no cost. Here are my comments.

1. This is a sleek set of earbuds that has an interesting design feature: You can adjust the height and angle of the earbuds. As a practical matter they were fine for me as is, but that might come in handy for some people.

These were fitted with medium size earbuds, but come with small and large as well.

2. These sit securely in my ears due to the silicone earhooks, which are comfortable to wear.

3. These are labeled as submersible up to 6 feet. I put them in about 10 inches of water in a ktichen sink for a couple of minutes. After I took them out and let the water drip out, they sounded just fine.

As a practical matter I doubt most people plan to use these underwater, but the waterproof capability means that you can use these without worry for working out, winter sports, in a pool,the bathtub, etc. i.e. places where they are going to be exposed to moisture.

4. Unfortunately the sound on these is very mediocre. Very disappointing.

Bottom line: Unless you need waterproof capability versus water resistant (which is what most sport headphones are), I suggest you buy something else.

First Style First Support USB Charging the Mobile Phone ,T6 Super Light Bulb 1000lumens By Hiking ,Camping, Cycling (Black)
Offered by HoytDoherty
Price: $79.99
2 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent flashlight though a bit pricey, December 10, 2014
I received this at no cost. Here are my comments.

1. This came with directions in Chinese. I emailed the seller to send English directions, which were barely comprehensible. However, it wasn't too hard to figure out the features on this product, so I didn't deduct a star for that. Let's take a look at this.

2. This is a very heavy duty flashlight that is a nice purple/black color. It looks much better in person than in the picture on Amazon. It has lots of interesting design features, and for a flashlight looks stylish, like something you would see in a movie. It comes with a lot of stuff:

--two lithium batteries to power the flashlight (it uses only one at a time); each is 3500 mAh, but are compact (2 1/2" long and 11/16" diameter)

--a battery holder for three AAA batteries to use instead of a lithium battery

--battery charger for the lithium batteries that is powered by an included AC charger

--a DC charger that plugs directly into the flashlight

--an AC charger that plugs directly into the flashlight to charge it, as well as into the included battery charger to charge a single lithium battery at a time

--a removable lanyard attached to the handle

--a plastic toolbox to hold all of the above, which itself has a sturdy carry loop

A lot of thought went into this product. It comes with pretty much everything you could think of (except for a clear set of English directions, which is something the seller needs to work on if they want to successfully market this in English speaking countries).

3. I like that there are multiple ways to charge this, plus with two lithium batteries and a AAA battery holder you don't have to worry about running out of power.

4. This has three settings--bright, dim and strobe. When you turn this off and on again it will default to the bright setting regardless of the last setting that you were using. However, once you turn it on, if you press the power button lightly without turning the flashlight off, you can easily cycle through the different settings. This also has a zoom feature so that you can narrow the scope of the beam.

This is rated at 800 lumens and is very bright. When the zoom is closed, this casts a very wide beam of light.

5. This is very rugged and designed to withstand shocks and rough handling (it's also supposed to be waterproof, but I didn't test that). It's only 6 15/16" with the zoom closed, and 7 11/16 open. While it's too heavy for a backpack, it's perfect for the car or at home.

6. This has a USB slot to charge a phone, though there is no indicator light to show how much of a charge is left in the battery. While I would normally deduct a star for that, I consider the USB slot only an incidental feature, and am mainly focused on this as a flashlight. I think it's a bit pricey, but it's very well made and very functional.

Bottom line: I like this flashlight a lot. It has quality written all over it. Although it's a bit pricey, you do get a lot of stuff.

Ausdom M04 Bluetooth Headphones Over-ear Stereo Wireless Headset/headphone with Microphone for Music Streaming and Hands-free Calling
Offered by BAgain
Price: $89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bluetooth headset, December 10, 2014
I received the Ausdom M04 (also known as the Mixcdr M04) headset at no cost. Here are my comments.

1. My benchhmark for testing headsets is my noise canceling Bose Q15, which cost almost 7 times as much as this headset. While this headset has no separate noise cancelling feature like my Bose, they do keep a lot of ambient sound out without having to crank up the volume to a dangerous hearing level. And while the sound is not the same as the Bose (I wouldn't expect it to be), it's still very impressive, and just as good as headsets costing 2 or 3 times as much. Crystal clear music, a treble that is not shrill or tinny, and a decent bass. I do agree with other reviews that the sound is not as bright and bold as other headsets, but it's still pretty good. So let's take a closer look at this headset.

2. This is well designed and just as comfortable to wear as my Bose--lightweight, nice padding on the head clip and ear cups, which are just the right size and sit perfectly over my ears. You can wear for hours and it will not fatigue you like some heavier headsets.

3. This was effortless to pair with my iPhone 6, and the controls are a nice size and easy to use. The left earcup has play/pause, forward and reverse, while the right ear cup has power, volume up and volume down. This headset has one of the most effective internal volume controls I have seen. When the volume is maxed out (you'll hear a beep when that happens), I need only the minimal setting on my iPhone 6 to hear the music at a nice listening level. This is one of the few headsets where I actually lowered the internal volume control, because I find the best sound is when I balance that evenly with the volume control on my iPhone. On many other headsets the internal volume control is so weak that it doesn't matter.

4. This has a mini USB port for charging and comes with a mini USB cable. I agree with another review that the small rubber cover for the mini USB port is difficult to open--so I pulled it off permanently. Problem solved. I don't need to protect the mini USB charging port any more than I need to protect the charging ports on my iPhone 6, Nexus 2013 tablet, GoPro Hero 4 Silver, etc., each of which is much more expensive than this headset.

5. These look really nice and the earcups fold. I do wish that a carry bag or case was included, though I have a spare that I can use.

Bottom line: I don't think you can buy a better sounding or more comfortable over the ear bluetooth headset for under $50. Indeed this headset sounds just as good as much more expensive models that I have tested that are uncomfortable to wear, not well designed, heavy and clunky. I definitely recommend these.

Baleaf Men's Thermal Cycling Tights
Baleaf Men's Thermal Cycling Tights
Offered by Baleaf Sports
Price: $19.99 - $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for running or winter sports, December 9, 2014
I received this at no cost. Here are my comments.

1. This is priced at only $19.99, but is as warm and well made as much more expensive tights that I use for running, though in fairness those are compression tights, while this is not.

2. These are comfortable to wear, stylish looking, and well made. Perfect as a base layer for winter sports.

3. I am impressed by the craftsmanship. The stitching (which is one of the first things I look at) is impeccable--no loose threads, no uneven or irregular lines, etc. There is a shallow back pocket and zippers at the bottom of the leg pants that make these much easier to put on than any of my other tights, none of which have zippers at the bottom of the legs. The drawstring for the waist is nice and thick, not one of those flimsy ones.

4. These run a bit small in the waist, so order a size up.

Bottom line: This is one of the nicest tights I have seen at any price. They look much better in person than in the picture and have quality written all over them. A really pleasant surprise at this price point.

Poweradd™ 25W/5A Four USB-Port Rapid Car Charger Compact Designed for Apple iPhone 6, iPhone 5S 5C 5, iPad Air Mini Retina, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3 Note 4 3 2, LG G3 and More (Black)
Offered by PoweraddDirect
Price: $29.99
2 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Economical but effective, December 9, 2014
I received this at no cost. Here are my comments.

1. This is a compact (3 1/2" x 1 3/4" x 1") DC USB charger with ports labeled Samsung, Android, iPhone and iPad. Since the maximum output is 5A, you can't simultaneously charge devices that together exceed that output.

2. This has a standard rounded DC plug that easily fits into a cigarette lighter and stays put. With two ports on each side it's easy to charge multiple gadgets at once.

3. This works fine for my iPhone 6.

4. This is very reasonably priced at $10.99.

Bottom line: An inexpensive way to charge gadgets in your car.

OneKubedDESIGNS iPhone 6 Car Charger - 56% OFF MSRP This Week ONLY Pre-Christmas Sale - with Dual USB Charging Ports, charge 3 devices at ONCE
Offered by OneKubedDESIGNS
Price: $24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice USB charger, December 9, 2014
I received this at no cost. Here are my comments.

1. This compact (2" wide and just under 4" long) charger is an easy and stylish way to charge three gadgets at once. I like that a 22" Lightning cable is attached--one less cable to worry about, and the length is just right for the car. It works fine with my iPhone 6. Also the head on this cable is just as slim as the original Apple cable, so no problem fitting this into the case I use for my iPhone 6 (some Lightning cables have a thicker head, and I can't use them in my case).

2. There are two ports--1A and 2.1A--which is more than adequate for my needs. The Lightning cable is in the middle and there is one port on each side, which is an efficient design to avoid cables being tangled up.

3. As other reviews note, the tip is "flattened" rather than the standard round DC tip, but it fits fine into my cigarette lighter and stays put. The unit lights up so you know that it's working.

Bottom line. Nice USB charger with the added benefit of giving you an extra Lightning cable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20