Profile for Stephen M. Charme > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Stephen M. Charme RSS Feed (central New Jersey)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
SanDisk 64GB Ultra Class 10 Micro SDXC up to 48MB/s with Adapter (SDSDQUAN-064G-G4A) [Newest Version]
Price: $36.99
24 used & new from $31.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine for my GoPro Hero 4 Silver, October 22, 2014
I bought this for my GoPro Hero 4 Silver. My videos (I don't go above 2.7K) are not choppy, and both my videos and photos (up to 30/s) have good color and are clear, so I can see this card is working fine.

I called GoPro tech support to find out whether I would accomplish anything by buying an SD Card with a higher write speed than this one. San Disk sells an Extreme Plus that is supposed to have a write speed up to 80MB/s--but it costs double what I paid for this SD card.

GoPro tech support said to save my money. The reason is that the processor in the camera maxes out around 45MB/s, so a higher write speed won't matter. They said to imagine pouring liquid through a funnel--as you increase the speed that it is being poured in, at some point the funnel backs up depending on how large the opening is, so further increasing the speed won't get the liquid through the funnel any faster. So they said a faster card would not improve my picture quality.

Bottom line: This card works fine and I see no reason to spend any more money for a faster write speed. If someone has different information, please comment.

GoPro Frame Mount by CamKix - Compatible with GoPro Hero 3, 3+, and 4 - USB, HDMI, and SD Slots Fully Accessible - Light and Compact Housing for Your Action Camera - Includes 1 Large Thumbscrew / 1 Tripod Mount / 1 Rubber Lens Cap / 1 UV Filter Lens Protector
Offered by ECO-FUSED
Price: $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate case for my Hero 4 Silver, October 21, 2014
This is an absolutely terrific case for my Hero 4 Silver and an excellent value with the included accessories. Here's why I like this.

1. This is well thought out and designed, and is the case GoPro should have included with the Hero 4 Silver for consumers to use when a waterproof case is not necessary. It's easier to use than a regular GoPro case with a skeleton door and much more useful.

Note: A plastic case did come with my Hero 3 Silver, but GoPro dropped the ball by not including all the cutouts that are on this case, especially a cutout for the mic. As a result the GoPro plastic case completely muffles the audio on my Hero 3 Silver, so it's no different than using a waterproof case.

2. Unlike the GoPro case with a skeleton back, this case:

A. Provides open access to the USB port, which means (1) I can power my Hero 4 Silver with a power bank and see the touchscreen the whole time (as opposed to using the Battery BacPac, which covers the touchscreen and requires relying on the GoPro app on a phone or tablet to see what's going on--just not as convenient for me), and (2) download the pictures to my computer without having to remove the camera from its case.

B. Provides open access to my memory card, so I can swap cards while shooting.

C. Provides open access to the HDMI port, so I can connect the camera to a TV without removing it from the case.

D. Has a cutout for the Touch Display Sleep/Wake button, which I often use to conserve power. It lets me turn the Touch Display on and off in between pictures, but leave the camera on. GoPro completely dropped the ball in designing a case that covers this button, so you can't use it regardless of whether you have the skeleton door or waterproof door on the GoPro case. It's worth buying this particular case just to have access to that button when you don't need a waterproof case.

3. The sound is not compromised at all by this case because there is a cutout for the microphone.

4. It's easy to use the buttons for the settings and shutter on this case. Now I use the GoPro case pretty much only with a waterproof door for going into the pool, lake or ocean where I need protection against water.

Note 1: If I'm not going to submerge the camera, but just need protection against splashing, then instead of a waterproof door I use a skeleton door over which I have taped Gore Tex fabric (I bought a patch on Amazon) to keep out the water. I get better sound that way as opposed to using a waterproof door.

Note 2: Unlike the regular GoPro case, this case offers no protection for the camera body or front LCD display. So depending on your activity, you might want to trade convenience for added protection even if you're not going into the water.

5. This cases comes with a tripod mount, a screw, a lens cap, and a UV filter that fits perfectly on my Hero 4 Silver and protects the lens; that filter is good quality and doesn't degrade the picture. The case fits my Hero 4 Silver really well and looks good on it. Even though the case is inexpensive, there's nothing cheap looking about it.

6. The plastic on this is sturdy, and is the same quality as the plastic case that came with my Hero 3 Silver. This case works well as a standalone or mounted on a camera extender using the tripod mount.

Note: When not using the camera, you can't use the port cover that comes with the camera to cover the three ports when the camera is in this case. It doesn't quite fit. That's a minor point the company might want to fix in the future.

If this case isn't connected to a tripod mount, you can easily pry open the case to remove the camera. But if it is connected to a tripod mount, then unlike a regular GoPro case where you just unlatch the case and the camera pops out, with this case you first have to unscrew the case from the tripod mount in order to remove the camera. That minor inconvenience is outweighed by the convenient access I have while using the camera.

Bottom line: This is well made, well designed, very functional, and comes with a nice assortment of accessories. There aren't many bargains when buying GoPro accessories, but this is one of them. If you have any doubts, go onto the GoPro site and see what they charge for the accessories that come with this case. If you own a Hero 4 Silver I highly recommend this case and its accessories.

A-Audio A02 Legacy Over-Ear Headphone, Matte Phantom Black
A-Audio A02 Legacy Over-Ear Headphone, Matte Phantom Black
Price: $299.00
2 used & new from $269.00

3.0 out of 5 stars A far cry from my Bose even though priced the same, October 21, 2014
I received this at no cost in exchange for writing a review. Here are my comments.

1. I own the Bose QC15, which I think is one of the best noise cancelling headphones on the market. The Audio costs the same, but falls short in some important respects.

2. The headphone has three settings: Audio (just plug this in to any device), ANC (Audio Noise Cancelling) and Bass (which is supposed to boost the bass).

The sound is full and rich on the Audio and Bass settings. The ANC is entirely a different matter. I immediately noticed a "narrowing" of the sound and a change in the tone--a more shrill treble and less distinct bass. It was definitely not an improvement. Imagine turning off the surround sound on your home theatre system to get an idea of the "narrowing", and imagine switching to a cheap pair of earbuds to get an idea of the change in tone.

3. Worse, in ANC mode these headphones were not nearly as effective as the Bose. Voices on TV that I could not hear with the Bose were still audible on these headphones.

4. The Bass "booster" made virtually no difference; there was a negligible increase in bass if I listened very carefully, but certainly nothing worthy of being called a bass booster.

5. While these fit comfortably on my head, they are considerably heavier than my Bose. That's something that would bother me on a long plane flight or even after a couple of hours of listening in my house. In any case, they are too clunky and heavy for me for travel, unlike my lightweigh Bose that I travel with all the time.

Bottom line: While these headphones sound very nice as long as you don't use ANC, you can buy non noise cancelling headphones that sound just as good for half the price and that are not as heavy. At this price point I don't think this is a good value for what you get because you are paying a premium price for an important feature--noise cancellation--that doesn't work well.

Sabrent 60 Watt (12 Amp) 10-Port Family-Sized Desktop USB Rapid Charger. Smart USB Charger with Auto Detect Technology for iPhone 6 5s 5c 5, iPad Air mini, Galaxy S5 S4, Note 3 2, the new HTC One (M8), Nexus and More [Black] (AX-TPCS)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent USB charger, October 20, 2014

1. At the moment this is definitely one of the best USB chargers on the market. All 10 ports are "smart", so any port will charge my iPad, iPhone, Nexus 2013 tablet, GoPro, power bank, Bluetooth headset, Garmin GPS watch, etc.--and simultaneously so long as the total amps don't exceed 12A.

2. This is well made like other Sabrent products and reasonably compact for such a powerful unit: 3 3/4" X 2 1/8" X 1 7/8". It comes with a 5' power cord so no problem placing this where you want.

3. All 10 blue lights come on when you plug this in, unlike some other USB chargers where a light comes on only when the port is in use and charging. Just an observation, but makes no difference to me.

4. The ports are not "crowded" so no problem plugging in 10 USB cords at once. This doesn't get hot when charging.

5. I now keep this on my desktop. It's all I need. Although this is not too big to bring for travel, for that I prefer the much smaller Sabrent 6 port USB charger.

Bottom line: Stylish and effective

Instant Military Shine - Shoe Sponge for Black Shoes
Instant Military Shine - Shoe Sponge for Black Shoes
Offered by Shoehorn
Price: $6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for touch up but no shine, October 20, 2014

1. "Instant Military Shine"--not even close, not even the kind of shine you get at the shoe repair shop or from the people at the train stations. Let's face it, there's no substitute for buffing and "elbow grease" if you want your shoes to shine.

2. So what does this product do? It will provide a nice touch up so your shoes are presentable until you can get a real shine.

Bottom line: Good for a touch up but don't expect a shine.

Pocket Vault - Hidden Travel Belt Wallet w/ RFID Blocker
Pocket Vault - Hidden Travel Belt Wallet w/ RFID Blocker
Price: $13.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best travel protector, October 20, 2014

1. This did hold two passports, but it was a nuisance to take them in and out.

2. This may be practical to use if you are in a foreign country and don't want to leave your passport in the hotel and choose to bring it with you, knowing that you will not be taking it out, though even then I doubt I would want this rubbing against my leg all day, especially in hot weather.

But this is totally impractical for the airport--just not convenient to have to take this in and out of your pants to produce your passports, or to get a credit card or cash. And definitely not comfortable to sit with this for hours inside your pants on a plane. Yes, you could remove it when you got on the plane and then put it back on when you land, but that's not convenient for me.

3. As far as RFID blocking, you're kidding yourself if you think all you need is a product like this to stop identity and credit card number theft. Through my local Costco I signed up for Identity Guard to monitor my credit cards and everything else. I don't worry about RFID blocking because between Identity Guard and the fraud alert monitoring by the only two credit cards I carry (Amex and a Chase Mastercard), I have nothing to worry about. I've been doing this for years, during which time there have been a few fraudulent attempts to use my credit cards--but none have been successful.

There's a lot of hype by some makers of RFID blockers, but the fact is you're much more likely to have your credit card information compromised by a data breach at a big box store where you bought something (as happened to Target, and now Staples) rather than by some RFID attack on your cards at the mall. It's much more lucrative for thieves to steal the credit card information of millions of people in one fell swoop through a data breach than to use individual RFID attacks.

As far as your passport goes, the only time it's "vulnerable" to RFID is when you open it. Since you have to take it out of an RFID sleeve to do that anyhow, why bother with the sleeve in the first place. As long as your passport is closed, it's not susceptible to RFID, so an RFID blocking sleeve is pointless.

Bottom line: This works but just is not convenient and comfortable. The RFID feature gives a false sense of security, and is of no consequence to me. There are better travel protectors out there.

Gorilla Grill Gloves for Ovens, BBQ, and More. Withstand Heat up to 662F
Gorilla Grill Gloves for Ovens, BBQ, and More. Withstand Heat up to 662F
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $12.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice grill gloves, October 20, 2014
I received these at no cost in exchange for writing a review. Here are my comments.

1. I usually wear a medium glove and these are very large on me--an extra inch in each finger. But I can still easily use them and handle things, so the large size in no way interferes with my use.

2. These are MUCH more comfortable for me to wear than silicone gloves, and go on and off MUCH easier. There is none of the sticky, clammy feeling of silicone grill gloves. However, these have silicone grips so you can deal with greasy objects.

3. These are relatively lightweight and are nicely designed. They also come well packaged with clear directions and a link to a video tutorial. Clearly the company takes this product seriously.

4. IMPORTANT: (1) These don't protect against hot liquid, (2) you must use them dry because if wet the material won't absorb the heat, (3) don't touch the outside with your bare hand after it's been exposed to high heat because the outside of the glove will be very hot from absorbing the heat.

Bottom line: Excellent for the oven or BBQ.

2 Ultra Comfortable Sleep Mask with Ear Plugs and Adjustable Strap (Cheetah)
2 Ultra Comfortable Sleep Mask with Ear Plugs and Adjustable Strap (Cheetah)
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality but a little light still gets in, October 20, 2014
I received the black sleep mask at no cost in exchange for a review. Here are my comments.

1. The basic function of a sleep mask is to block ALL the light. This comes closer than other masks I have tried, but there is still a little bit of light coming in around the nose area. If I press the mask with both forefingers on either side of my nose, I have complete blocking of light--but obviously I'm not going to do that when I go to sleep. This tells me that with a little better design this mask could be totally effective.

2. This is comfortable to wear and has an adjustable velcro strap with a place to hold two ear plugs, which might be handy for travel, though there is no travel case.

Bottom line: Almost--but not quite--blocks all the light.

White Noise
White Noise
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very versatile and effective app, October 17, 2014
This review is from: White Noise (App)
This app has ensured a good night's sleep for me and my wife on many vacations. I run it using either my iPad or Nexus 2013 tablet with a Bluetooth speaker, which greatly amplifies the sound compared to just using the volume from one of my gadgets.

We typically use the Air setting, which drowns out everything. I do have to remember to silence my gadgets (the app still works) so that I don't hear email or text alerts during the night.

It's a lot simpler and less expensive to bring along a small Bluetooth speaker than a white noise machine, which is what we did before we discovered this app.

Sometimes at work I use it on my iPhone and plug in a simple headset to drown out office noise. It works great for that. I also use it when I am a passenger in a car or plane on a long trip, and I just want to take a nap. Ditto for when I want to take a nap in my yard and not hear my neighbors cutting their grass, etc.

In short, I use this app in lots of different situations where I want some peace and quiet.

Bottom line: This is one app that is indispensable for me.

Polaroid POLC3 Cube HD Digital Video Action Camera Camcorder (Black)
Polaroid POLC3 Cube HD Digital Video Action Camera Camcorder (Black)
Offered by DBROTH
Price: $99.99
3 used & new from $99.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate but works only with the included micro USB cable and none other, October 17, 2014

1. This comes with a short micro USB cable for charging and uploading pictures from your micro SD card (not included) to your computer. Don't lose it or you'll really be out of luck. I never heard of a company making a proprietary micro USB cable (since that makes no sense), but that's what I received on the unit I received. I misplaced it, so I thought no big deal, I've got lots of micro USB cables from all my electronic gadgets. Guess what--I tried literally a dozen different micro USB cables on three different computers, and this camera was not recognized.

So I started looking around, finally found the micro USB cable that came with this camera--and voila! instant recognition on my computer. But that's not how well designed electronics should work.

2. I'm an avid GoPro user (just upgraded from the Hero 3 Silver to the new Hero 4 Silver). When I hear people ask how this compares to a GoPro, my answer is that it's like comparing a bicycle to a Harley Davidson. They'll both take you on a journey, but the ride is really different on each.

NOTE: GoPro has now come out with a low end $129 model that I'm not familiar with to compete with the low end of the action camera market.

3. However, if you don't want to spend a lot of money, and don't do a lot of action videos and photos, then this product takes very decent photos and videos that are surprisingly clear (though not GoPro quality). Don't worry about the lack of a viewfinder, this takes a pretty wide angle picture. If you hold the camera at arm's length you can take a pretty good selfie.

4. This is very simple to use: Turn it on by holding the multifunction button for three seconds. Then press that button once for a photo and twice for a video. Press again to stop the video. To turn the camera off, hold the multifunction button for a few seconds.

There is a very strong magnet on he bottom.

5. Make sure you keep a coin handy, because you'll need it to open the cover so you can insert a micro SD card, change the resolution between 1080 and 720, and charge this with the included micro USB cable.

6. There is no O ring around the inside of the cover to keep out moisture and dirt, so it's a joke to call this weatherproof.

Bottom line: This is a fun toy for the occasional photo/video user, not a serious camera like the GoPro. If this didn't have a proprietary micro USB cable, then I would have rated it 4 stars, but designing an action camera to work with just one cable is ridiculous. I can charge my GoPro with every single mini USB cable I own.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2014 5:18 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20