Profile for Patrick mcclory > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 64

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Patrick mcclory RSS Feed (Ladson, SC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Bose MIE2 Mobile Headset (Black)
Bose MIE2 Mobile Headset (Black)
22 used & new from $55.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best headphones I've ever used, December 19, 2013
These are all-day comfortable and i love that I can wear them for extended periods of time without really knowing they're in my ears. They're a bit expensive, but honestly they're worth it. Sound quality is great, the fit is better than any other in-ear headphones I've ever worn and I've even started using it more and more as a phone and computer headset for calls, video conferences and webinar recordings. Well worth the money and after almost 6 months, I'm coming back to review them... still using them every day and still very happy!

Chef's Choice 681 Cordless Electric Kettle
Chef's Choice 681 Cordless Electric Kettle
Price: $47.99
23 used & new from $47.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy with it... good for quick coffee and tea, December 19, 2013
I purchased this so that I could get water hot for a quick cup of coffee or tea--and so long as you don't fill it the whole way, it certainly fits the bill. Unfortunately, it's not capable of breaking the laws of physics and the more water that's in there, the more work it has to do... yadda yadda... and water boils when you hit the tab on the back.

I do like this because it clicks pretty loudly when it's done and honestly, it's a good kitchen gadget. I'd looked at more expensive ones with digital displays, etc. and honestly I think this is a better buy.

Exotic Car - Shake & Go Racers
Exotic Car - Shake & Go Racers

2.0 out of 5 stars Broke within a few days, December 19, 2013
Our kids love these, but this model/version of this line of toys has been particularly fragile. We attempted purchasing this one twice, both times the gears stripped out quickly and the car ceased to move forward.

Iomega StorCenter PX4-300d (diskless) 4-bay Network Storage  35098
Iomega StorCenter PX4-300d (diskless) 4-bay Network Storage 35098

4.0 out of 5 stars Great--but read the config info and get good drives, December 19, 2013
So this is a basic NAS enclosure and it doesn't have a ton of apps in a marketplace to replicate data to various services (Skydrive would help me at this point), but as far as performance and features for just a NAS, I'm happy with it because it has NFS and iSCSI capabilities, dual NIC's with the ability to bond the interfaces and you can set up multiple mount points and shares. I've had it for 6 months now and have about 400GB of data on a 3.2 TB array and it performs well. Here's what I'm using it for:

* general SMB/Windows file share
* backup for sensitive files (Neat receipts, financials, etc)
* NFS mount for VMWare ESXi to host ISOs, etc.

I consistently get good throughput and performance out of the storage array and have been happy with it in general. The one frustrating thing to keep in mind is that EMC bought Iomega and then Lenovo bought EMC... so when you update the firmware you'll end up with an Iomega/EMC/Lenovo device. It's still supported, so that's not a big deal, but branding certainly gets interesting.

SunSun Lighting A19 LED Light Bulb, 6.5W (40W), 450lm Soft Warm White, (2700K) Dimmable
Price: $7.98
5 used & new from $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Put them throughout my new home, December 19, 2013
I've probably bought about 45 of these by now and I've been replacing CFL bulbs in my home. I find that the flicker in CFL's gives me a headache and I prefer the color and brightness out of these to CFL's in general. These are a little shorter than the standard bulb (slight difference, but noticeable) and the metal base might seem odd, but they look great and they look like standard bulbs in my bathroom fixtures and in lamps throughout the house. Granted, LED bulbs still aren't the cheapest, but long-term they're worth it in my mind and it's helping me get rid of all those CFL's :).

VTech Switch & Go Dinos - Blister The Velociraptor Dinosaur
VTech Switch & Go Dinos - Blister The Velociraptor Dinosaur
Offered by STL PRO, Inc.
Price: $36.97
28 used & new from $21.52

4.0 out of 5 stars My son loves it... but the batteries last forever., December 19, 2013
So our 3-year-old son loves dinosaurs... and helicopters... and boy was I surprised when we found something that combined the two of them together. There are a couple of things you should know about it ahead of time though:

* The on/off switch is on the bottom. Find it quickly... this thing will talk forever because...
* It has a motion sensor of some sort in it.. if you keep moving it, it'll keep talking
* ...and it'll talk for a bit while it's still to try to entice you/your child/your dog/your neighbors to play with it agian

The first night we had it before we gave it to our son for his birthday I pressed one of the buttons on it and it talked ... and talked... and talked... and I ended up putting it in the closet (still in its box, mind you) and waited until it shut up... the on/off switch would have helped.

All that aside, he loves it, and as the title says, the batteries last forever (or at least mine have so far)... so the 'Daddy doesn't know how to fix that' excuse hasn't come up yet :)

HP 1810-24G v2 Gigabit SFP Rack-Mountable Switch (J9803A)
HP 1810-24G v2 Gigabit SFP Rack-Mountable Switch (J9803A)
Offered by Prince Technology LLC
Price: $220.00
30 used & new from $200.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations immediately, December 19, 2013
I bought this for a home office/development/test network setup I have and basically fell into this one as a backup because my original attempt to purchase a switch fell through in the marketplace (never showed up). I'm really happy it did, because this thing is a dream to work with--configuration is simple and it truly 'just worked' out of the box. I set up link aggregation for my NAS in about 3 minutes (time it took me to turn my computer on, figure out how to do it in their docs via Google and to update my NAS) and it's just doing its thing... which is what you really want to be able to say about a piece of network infrastructure. No surprises, no issues and lots of blinky lights.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2014 7:52 AM PST

Juniper Networks SSG-20-SH 256MB Security Services Gateway
Juniper Networks SSG-20-SH 256MB Security Services Gateway
11 used & new from $240.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Recent Convert from ASA5505 use, December 19, 2013
I do a lot of IT environment prototyping and a lot of them involve some level of VPN connectivity. While this isn't the biggest or fastest VPN/Router/etc. out there, compared to my work using ASA5505's as my primary device to work with, this is far easier to configure and work with. Juniper Networks support is also far easier to manage compared to Cisco, so if/when I need help or a hand with something, they're a bit (note I'm not saying they're exactly easy to work with either) easier to work with. I have this configured with an HP ProCurve 1810 switch and it works very well managing my home and development networks (separate subnets) and for the price, I couldn't find anything that met my VPN, routing and security needs.

The ScreenOS environment is a little rough... not that it doesn't work, but it's not as 'pretty' as Cisco's ASDM and while I do a lot of configuration via CLI, sometimes it's nice to just go mess with the configuration via a management tool to just get it done. The management interface is web-based and is a little finicky in the current version of Chrome (31.0.1650.63 m) but works great in Firefox. I'm very happy with this purchase and would more than likely buy it again, though an SSG-5 would likely have fit my needs as well.

NavePoint 18U Wall Mount Server Cabinet Enclosure Glass Door Lockable - 24 inch depth

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat the price, great build quality, December 19, 2013
I got this for home use as I'm a bit of a nerd and IT professional with a few machines I keep to run some personal dev stuff along with some home entertainment media storage. I was a bit concerned at first that it was shipped flat-packed and that it would have to be assembled as I'd never had a rack enclosure show up in any other form than 'ready to go' and welded together. Assembly took about an hour because I did it in poor lighting (we'd just moved into our new house) and with a 16 month old trying to help (she fits in the box!).

There are 2 punch-outs for power and cabling on top and bottom and the side panels are removable and are secured with locking cams. The front door is glass--not much more to say there... but I like the idea of being able to see into it and when I was shopping I didn't find anything in this price range, and the next most expensive (another $200) had a solid black metal door. It is an 18U rack... but if you're buying it and you're doing the math, it is a little taller than a standard 18u--there is some clearance at the bottom and at the top there's room to install a muffin fan... so it's just slightly taller than you might expect if you're gauging it against a standard enclosure.

I do wish it came with wheels, and I'd suggest using 4-post shelves and rails (I should have known better, yes, but it's a good reminder). Other than that, definitely very happy with it and would purchase again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2014 5:30 AM PDT

14k White Gold Round Diamond Anniversary Band (1/4 cttw, H-I Color, I1-I2 Clarity), Size 7
Price: $522.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a random anniversary, December 19, 2013
My wife and I just celebrated our 7th anniversary and she'd asked me for something 'flat so that [she] would have something to wear when cooking and playing with the kids that wouldn't catch on things'. I shopped around for a while and though I buy a ton of stuff on Amazon, I was a bit leery of purchasing jewelry--I was very pleased with what I received.

The box it came in was a two-layer, well built/solid feeling blue box (unmarked/unbranded) with a jewelry box inside and this ring. It's definitely as described and certainly fits the bill of what my wife was hinting for--very happy that I found this and took the leap into buying it here.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7