Profile for Edward Barnett > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 318

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Edward Barnett RSS Feed (Cambridge, MA United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Nekteck Solar Powered Garden Spotlight - Outdoor Spot Light for Walkways, Landcaping, Security, Etc. - Ground or Wall Mount Options (2, Warm White)
Offered by Nekteck Direct
Price: $32.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Lights for hours; warm white light is attractive, June 13, 2016
There are lots of solar landscape spotlights, but most of them have a very white, almost bluish light, often up around 6000K. I wanted a warmer light color, around 3000K, to blend in with my existing landscape lights. I installed these Nekteck lights a couple of weeks ago and really like them. They run from dusk until well after I go to bed, even though they're positioned in an area that gets very limited direct sunlight. And the warmer white light blends perfectly with my existing lights. I was a bit worried about the light color based on the photoshopped product photo, which shows a mustard yellow light. If you look directly into the spotlight, the light does appear to be yellow, but the light it throws onto my stone wall looks to be about 2700-3000K, in the same range as a typical "warm white" indoor incandescent bulb. I can't speak to durability yet, but will leave an update next season if there are issues.

Etekcity 11lb/5kg Digital Multifunction Stainless Steel Kitchen Food Scale
Etekcity 11lb/5kg Digital Multifunction Stainless Steel Kitchen Food Scale
Offered by Etekcity
Price: $25.99
3 used & new from $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good size, easy to use, accurate, good price, June 11, 2016
I've been using a pocket scale for the past several years, both for cooking (weighing ingredients) and for portion control (weighing servings). I prefer this scale over the pocket scale because it can hold most of my prep bowls while still allowing a clear view of the display. The scale appears to be accurate, inasmuch as it reports the same weights as my pocket scale, and can measure very small quantities accurately since it's calibrated to the level of single grams. The display toggles easily between ounces and grams, which is handy when switching between U.S. and European recipes. The scale is very easy to use -- push one button to weigh, or two taps if you need to reset to zero to net out the weight of your bowl/plate. The display is backlit and easy to read. The scale automatically blanks the display after a few seconds and turns off after half a minute to conserve battery life; I've only be using it a week, so I can't testify as to battery life. The surface is a brushed metal and easy to clean; the surface is flush at the sides so there aren't grooves to get gunky. The footprint of the scale is about 5x7 inches, maybe half the footprint of a small toaster; it's very thin, even thinner than my pocket scale. After a few days I thought the scale was malfunctioning, since the display would flicker on and off. It turns out that the batteries had slipped inside the battery compartment, or maybe I didn't put them in securely; in either case, Etekcity could improve the design by taking the wiggle room out of the battery compartment.

I've purchased a number of Etekcity products over the past year or two (including their power failure, motion sensing nightlights, which I love). This is the first sample product I've received from Etekcity as part of their product review program, and it lives up to the standard of the products I've bought and enjoyed using.

ClosetMaid 5434 Cubeicals Fabric Drawer, Green
ClosetMaid 5434 Cubeicals Fabric Drawer, Green
Price: $5.49
20 used & new from $5.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to ClosetMaid Cubeicals shelving -- turns shelves into a surprisingly useful dresser, June 5, 2016
If you have a ClosetMaid Cubeical storage system, you really should try these. They convert the storage system from a shelving unit into a surprisingly functional dresser. We have several 9-cube (3x3) shelves, and we use 4-5 of these drawers in each system. This creates a sort of dresser/shelf hybrid system that's great for dorm rooms, guest rooms, and kid rooms. Very functional, takes up less floor space than a dresser, easily reconfigured, and cheaper than "real furniture."

ClosetMaid 421 Cubeicals 9-Cube Organizer, White
ClosetMaid 421 Cubeicals 9-Cube Organizer, White
69 used & new from $28.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Functional. Versatile. Durable (surprisingly)., June 5, 2016
I've bought four of these over the past four years. One for my son's dorm room. Two for our guest room at home. One for our niece's room. They work great as a simple, inexpensive dresser that takes up significantly less space than a traditional dresser. And they're super versatile -- with the matching Cubeicals fabric drawers you can use some of the spaces as dresser drawers and the other spaces as shelves. And you can reconfigure between dresser and bookshelf in seconds just by adding, removing, or moving drawers. The organizer absolutely doesn't look fancy -- it's laminate over particle board -- but it's inexpensive, functional, and versatile. The first one took me about 45 minutes to assemble. The most recent one took me about 12 minutes. The one we bought for our son's dorm room survived all four years of college, including seven moves in the back of the family hatchback, so I give it top marks for durability. Honestly I didn't expect a piece of fiberboard furniture to last this long, but apparently ClosetMaid knows what kind of hardware to use to make fiberboard furniture hold together. Well done.

Simply Organic Citrus A'peel Certified Organic, 2.54-Ounce Container
Simply Organic Citrus A'peel Certified Organic, 2.54-Ounce Container
Price: $5.89
19 used & new from $5.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Change. Good Zing, No Sodium., June 5, 2016
I normally don't rate food products, since tastes are so idiosyncratic, but this spice mix deserves a shout out. It's a great mix of lemon peel, orange peel, sesame seeds, and spices. It's lighter than a lot of the "chophouse" spice mixes that have hit the market recently, but still adds a zing to foods. Especially good for adding a little zip to chicken to put in a nice salad. The built in grinder top works well, and very importantly it lasts as long as the jar of spice (although it wears down noticeably as you reach the end of the jar). The big reason for this shout out, though, is that this is a salt-free spice mix. A lot of these mixes are loaded with salt, but this one is sodium free. Excellent spice mix without a day's supply of sodium. Nice.

MoJack Push Mower Lift, 22"
MoJack Push Mower Lift, 22"
Price: $14.40
13 used & new from $9.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, inexpensive piece of equipment, June 5, 2016
For years I've improvised and struggled to keep the mower upright when changing the blade. I usually prop it up with a board, or sit on the driveway and try to hold it up with one foot, or try to talk the kids into holding the handle down while I work. Then I stumbled across this product, and now the only question I'm asking is why I didn't search for it sooner. The stand (they call it a "lift", but it's really more like a bicycle stand) is great! Assembly took 1-2 minutes, tops. The stand is sturdier than I expected, both in terms of the construction quality (heavy steel) and the stability in use (the base is good and wide). Changing a blade with this stand is so much easier. My kids are grateful. Wish I'd found this product 20 years ago.

O-Cedar Dual Action Microfiber Flip Mop Damp/Dry All Surface Mop
O-Cedar Dual Action Microfiber Flip Mop Damp/Dry All Surface Mop
Offered by O-Cedar
Price: $19.99
18 used & new from $16.79

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST. MOP. EVER., June 5, 2016
Bought one of these about a year and a half ago. Best dry mop ever. Can sweep/dust all the hard floors in an 1800 s.f. house in a matter of minutes. The blue shaggy side is great for picking up hairs and dust bunnies. The flat side is great for a second pass; the smooth microfiber sweeps up every last speck of dust. The swivel head is very maneuverable, and the mop head washes up easily. I've also used the flat side as a damp mop, but I recommend ordering the replacement mop head with two flat sides if you want to do a lot of damp mopping.

The only problem with this mop is that it keeps disappearing. I took it over to my sister-in-laws home to help with the cleaning, and it never came home (she still uses it daily). I took another one to clean the grandparents' floor; it never came home either. I'm now getting ready to purchase my third one, which I'm hoping won't stray.

Amazon usually has great prices. This is one exception. This mop is routinely fifty percent more on Amazon than at the big orange home center. Wherever you buy it, you'll get your money's worth, and then some (unless your relatives liberate it).

Lithonia Lighting FMLRL 14 20840 M4 Round 14-Inch LED Flush Mount Light, White
Lithonia Lighting FMLRL 14 20840 M4 Round 14-Inch LED Flush Mount Light, White
Price: $59.63
10 used & new from $49.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Bright but harsh light -- OK for basement or utility room, May 12, 2016
OK for a basement or utility room. Very bright but also very harsh light. Installed it in our second floor hallway but ended up taking it down again because the light was just too harsh.

Soft Heat Micro-Plush Top Low-Voltage Electric Heated Twin Mattress Pad, White
Soft Heat Micro-Plush Top Low-Voltage Electric Heated Twin Mattress Pad, White
Price: $63.98
14 used & new from $26.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, comfortable, warm -- hugely better than "thick wire" pads, May 12, 2016
Absolutely the best heated mattress pad on the market. Unlike some mattress pads with wires you can feel (like the Sunbeam pad I had before this), you really can't tell there are wires in this pad. It just feels like a regular, plush pad. It's great for pre-heating the bed on cold winter nights. The low setting just takes the chill off the mattress, whereas the high setting makes it positively toasty. I wash my pad in a front-loading washer, and it comes out fine. I've been using this brand of heated mattress pad on three different beds for about 15 years now. I've had to replace two of the pads one time each, and the other is still an original, so on average seems like about a 7-10 year product life (I'm guessing the thin wire breaks somewhere after that much time, either in use or in the laundry). I highly recommend this heated pad for anyone in a cold climate. It really takes the chill out of the bed (I use it to pre-heat the bed, but don't sleep with it on). [Note: I've bought all of these mattress pads at full price, as a regular customer. No free or discounted samples in return for a review. Just an old-fashioned purchase and an unsolicited review.]

Sunbeam 6131 Hot Shot Hot Water Dispenser, Black
Sunbeam 6131 Hot Shot Hot Water Dispenser, Black
Price: $13.99
59 used & new from $6.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for cocoa, but doesn't get water hot enough to steep tea properly, May 12, 2016
I've used Sunbeam Hot Shots in the office for decades. It's still the best choice if you want to be able to heat water at your desk, since it has a small footprint and doesn't draw an outrageous amount of current. The unit has to be replaced every few years, but it's pretty cheap, so it has averaged out to about five bucks a year for me. The drawback of the unit is that it automatically kicks off when it thinks the water is hot enough, which is short of a real rolling boil. The water is hot enough for instant cocoa, instant soup, etc., but it definitely isn't hot enough to steep tea properly; hence four stars instead of five.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20