Profile for Edward Barnett > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 556

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Edward Barnett RSS Feed (Cambridge, MA United States)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Triangle Bulbs RGB, color changing, Crystal Ball Effect Light, E27, LED Auto Rotating Stage Light, Disco light, DJ light, for Party's, Clubs, Bars, Home,
Offered by saturn products
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for parties, April 23, 2015
I love this thing! For a recent party for our young nieces, we put this light in one of those portable "can" style, plug-in floodlight fixtures that sits on the ground (the kind people use to highlight potted plants and things). The crystal ball LED put on a dazzling, swirling light show, easily lighting up the walls and ceiling in the 15'x15' party room (it was early evening, twilight outside). It was awesome! I can't speak to longevity. But given that the bulb (including shipping) costs about as much as two birthday cards, we feel like we got our money's worth even if it never works again after this one party. I doubt this bulb would light up a ballroom, but for home use it's fantastic.

Gama Sonic Premier Solar Landscape Path and Garden Light, Black Finish, Set of 2 #GS-139-2PK
Price: $65.90
11 used & new from $65.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Tall, sturdy, and puts out a lot of warm light (but mfg QC could be better), April 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These lights are very different from the "2 for 5 dollars" solar lights that are perennially on special at the local hardware store. They're heavy duty, made from thick aluminum. They're quite large, about 6 inches in diameter and standing about 15-16 inches above the ground once the stakes are pushed in. They're quite bright, with a warm white (not bluish) light. Two lights are sufficient to light up my 24' sidewalk. The manufacturer did a nice job of matching the paint color with the solar panel on top; as a result, the solar panel doesn't stand out at all, unlike many lights I've seen. The on/off switch is a nice touch. In the "on" position, the lights will come on automatically at night, and turn off (and charge) by day. In the "off" position, the lights won't come on automatically at night.

Overall, these lights are as sturdy and put out as much light as the hardwired NightHawk landscaping lights they replaced. The solar Gama Sonic lights are much easier to move around since they have no wires, and I won't have the same problem of mice, squirrels, etc. chewing through the wires.

So, they're much sturdier and higher quality than the plastic lights at the hardware store, which have to be replaced every season. And they're as bright as but more flexible than hardwired lights. Based on these comparisons, it might sound like a clear five star product. However, when the lights arrived, I noticed a rattling sound in one of them. When I took apart the fixture, I found a loose screw. I found it's matching hole and tried to put it back in place, but the threads were stripped, which why the screw hand come loose. There were three screws holding this part of the fixture together, so losing one screw shouldn't affect performance, but having a loose screw rattling around in a product that's positioned as a higher end product isn't right. Also, the threading on the poles wasn't well matched. High quality design and heavy duty materials should be matched by high quality manufacturing and quality control. Overall, I would purchase these lights at their current price without hesitation, and feel that I'd received good value for my dollar, but a bit better manufacturing quality control would make for an overall better customer experience out of the box.

Bottom line: I almost took off a star for the loose screw, but these lights are so superior in so many ways (heavy metal construction, great light output, warm white light color, on/off switch, large solar panel, pole height, etc.), that I still give them five stars. In terms of appearance and performance, they really are the equivalent of my old wired NightHawk landscape lights, which is not the case with 95% of the solar landscape lights I've encountered.

Hefty Slider Storage Bags, Quart, 40 Count( Pack of 9)
Hefty Slider Storage Bags, Quart, 40 Count( Pack of 9)
Price: $47.86
3 used & new from $38.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Tradeoffs: 5 for Convenience, 3 for Seal. Awesome for Outdoor Activities, April 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Hefty Slider Storage Bags represent an engineering tradeoff. The slider mechanism is super convenient and doesn't require alignment of the opposing tracks at the open end of the bag. This is great for kids (who sometimes think they've sealed "Zip Loc" bags, but haven't), those with arthritis in their hands, or those who just don't want to double check every time that they've made a seal. With the slider mechanism, you just slide and know that the seal has been made. The downside to this convenience is that the seal isn't 100%. The slider seems to leave a very, very small gap at the edge. We're talking a pinhole size gap, not even visible, but if you fill the bag with air and put a heavy book on it, within a minute or two all the air will have been pushed out of the bag, presumably through the pinhole gap at the limit of the slider. This is not an issue for many applications, but it makes a difference if you're storing liquids or doing long-term freezing. Because these are advertised as storage bags, I can't give them five stars without a complete seal.

With that in mind, I always keep a box of these on hand and find them to be an incredibly valuable and well designed product for specific applications where the slider mechanism really shines relative to traditional "Zip Loc" bags. For example:
+ Backpacking, mountain biking, kayaking: Ever tried to get a traditional Zip Loc bag open and resealed when it's cold and rainy and you're exhausted and your hands just can't handle fine detail work? For outdoor activities when you need to keep things dry, these bags are AWESOME!
+ In the shop: Much more convenient for storing small parts in the workshop.
+ Lunch boxes: Kids have much more luck unsealing and resealing these. This offers two benefits. First, they're more likely to reseal the bag with the leftover fruit, so you're less likely to have to clean up a sticky, messy lunch box. Second, kids can open these more times without destroying them, so you can reuse them more times for cookies, crackers, etc.

Bottom line: For freezing or storing liquids, I'd give these bags 3 stars, since they're not absolutely airtight. For all the other things we use bags like this for, I'd give them 5 stars, based on the convenience of the slider seal. Amazon allows only one rating, so I've averaged to 4 stars.

Bessky(TM) Sensor light ,AC 110V 220V 5W LED PIR Infrared Sensor Motion Detector Light Bulb Lamp US Plug

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great. Sensitive Motion Detector. Good Light for 5w. Excellent Value., April 17, 2015
There are a number of places around the house where I need just a little light for a brief time, like when going into the garage to empty the trash, or coming in through the walk-out basement door on the way upstairs. In those cases it often feels wasteful to flip on a light switch that lights up the whole room (garage/basement), especially given that both are lit with fluorescent shop lights, which use a lot of power on start-up and don't like being turned on and off frequently. Also, my hands are often full or filthy. These sensor lights solved the problem. I just plugged one into each wall outlet near the garage and basement doors. They can be pointed right at the door, which in my experience has made the motion sensor wicked sensitive. The light turns on instantly when I open or approach the door, then turns off again about half a minute after I leave the space. The LEDs put out a lot of light for 5w, and the standby motion sensing mode uses minimal power (a fraction of a watt). This is a really slick solution for spaces where you want spot lighting that turns on and off automatically.

I previously had bought a couple of very similar looking Mudder brand sensor lights. The Mudder lights are a more intense cool white light (6000K), like a cool white fluorescent, whereas these Bessky lights are a warmer white (2700K), more like an incandescent bulb. Given how I'm using them, I actually prefer the cooler white lights, but these Bessky lights were a quarter the price of the Mudder lights, so I'm more than happy with the warmer white. They did take a few weeks to arrive, having been shipped regular post from China, but for 75% savings over the Prime-eligible lights I ordered earlier I was willing to wait a few weeks.

True Lemon Bulk Pack, 500 Count
True Lemon Bulk Pack, 500 Count
Price: $24.46
8 used & new from $24.25

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME with SodaStream, or just plain water, April 17, 2015
Adding one of these packets to a liter of water really is like squeezing in a couple of lemon wedges. After years of drinking lemon seltzer water, I'd gotten used to artificial lemon flavor. It was a delight to remember how much better and fresher real lemon tastes, without the hassle and expense of keeping and cutting up actual lemons. We use one packet per SodaStream bottle. True Lemon is significantly cheaper than the lemon/line/orange essences sold by SodaStream, it tastes better, and it's easier to get consistent flavor. We also add True Lemon to regular uncarbonated water. We use two packets per half-gallon jug of water. It provides a beverage that's tastier than plain water but without all the sugar and calories of juices or sodas. This company also sells Lime and Orange packets. We've tried all three flavors and really like them. The lemon and lime flavors are great when mixed, one packet of each in a half gallon of water. This is one of those products that's so good, so simple, and so inexpensive that we actually tell friends about it.

PHILIPS LIGHTOLIER S7R827K10 7" RD LED Slim Surface Mount 1000 Lumens 2700K
PHILIPS LIGHTOLIER S7R827K10 7" RD LED Slim Surface Mount 1000 Lumens 2700K
Offered by energysavinglighting
Price: $51.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright, cool, efficient, easy to install. Creates the look of a recessed light, but wires into a normal ceiling junction box., April 17, 2015
This is an outstanding lighting product. It comes in and out of availability on Amazon, so you may have to check back regularly, or go direct to the site of one of the Marketplace vendors, like Energy Saving Lighting (I've bought from them both direct and via Amazon).

This Philips LED light basically allows you to install what looks like a recessed light with diffuser into a location that's wired for a light fixture. It wires direction into the junction box that the light fixture used to be wired into. LEDs are mounted across the disc, and because LEDs are very thin, the whole fixture only sticks out about half an inch from the ceiling. Once installed, it looks like it's a recessed light with a diffuser, even though it's really just a half-inch-thick LED light disc, rather than a recessed light that sticks up into the ceiling.

The light is is very even. I can't tell there are individual LEDs mounted on the disc even when I look directly at it. The light is quite bright -- to my eye, it seems to create about the same brightness as a 75-100w light in a recessed can. The light is more directional than a flush-mount fixture, since there's little light cast to the side. The down-light effect works great in the hallway locations where I've installed them.

Installation was a breeze. I installed two in our hallway (including removing the old, heavy flush-mount fixtures) in about 20 minutes. To install, you fit a mounting plate onto your junction box, connect three wires (black, white, ground), then push the fixture up onto the mounting plate. The wires and LED driver tuck up into the junction box. The fixture is held onto the mounting plate by a couple of spring steel clips. The fixture is extremely light, so installing is considerably easier than with old-fashioned fixtures.

The fixture draws only about 12w and runs significantly cooler than a traditional fixture with a couple of 60w bulbs, so it doesn't need all the layers of insulation that old flush-mount fixtures have. And since it's almost completely flush with the ceiling, it makes our hallway ceilings look higher. Best of all, because it uses so little electricity, I don't have to feel guilty about leaving the hallway lights on, which is nice for both safety and comfort.

I initially bought two of these for a downstairs hallway, but have subsequently ordered five more for other locations. I've long wanted to replace the flush mount ceiling light fixtures around our house, but installing recessed lights was too much of a hassle. This light does the same thing without the hassle, and it has the added benefit of using about 80% less electricity. I normally don't get too excited about lighting products, but the engineers at Philips really did come up with a great innovation when they dreamed up this LED fixture.

4 Panel Large Bill Flap Hat-Olive W15S48B
4 Panel Large Bill Flap Hat-Olive W15S48B
Offered by work and play
Price: $10.20
14 used & new from $5.33

3.0 out of 5 stars Good design, cheap. But Runs SMALL, Missing Strap., April 13, 2015
This hat is a good design (reminds me of the "Flap Happy" hats our young kids used to wear to the beach). You won't get a sunburnt face, ears, or neck. It has good ventilation panels, and the material seems both lightweight and likely to be durable. And the price is great -- less than that of a cheap baseball cap.

On the downside, the hat runs quite small, and one size definitely does not fit all. I wear a men's large hat (not an XL), and this hat was painfully tight. My wife wears a much smaller hat size, and this hat was a good to snug fit on her. If you wear a men's M to S, this hat is a good choice. If you wear a L or XL, don't bother.

In terms of quality, the material is good, but there were a couple of missed/broken stitches around the brim of the hat. Those threads will work loose before there time and shorten the life of the hat. Also, the cord and clip that keep the hat from being lost if it blows off were not included. They're clearly shown in the product photo, but they weren't on the hat or in the box. Another customer noted the missing retainer strap, so it doesn't seem like this was a one-time accidental omission.

Bottom line: Good design. Quality is not great but is OK, in line with price. Product is not as advertised (missing strap), which may or may not matter to you. But most important of all, the hat runs small, only up to about a men's M. "One size fits most" is always risky, and one-size hats rarely fit XL, but this hat runs particularly small for a one-size hat and is very, very tight if you normally wear even a L.

I'll Follow You Down [HD]
I'll Follow You Down [HD]
DVD
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Like the Twilight Zone of old. Good story, well acted, with a twist., April 8, 2015
While watching this movie, I felt the same sense I used to have when watching the original Twilight Zone episodes back in the day. A very good short story (one with unanticipated twists and turns), turned into a simple screen play (one that could be filmed on a handful of simple sets, with not a hint of computer generated imagery), cast with well-known actors playing character roles. Add to that the emotional drama of tortured souls who want the world to be better, and the extra twists and turns allowed by a feature length film, and you have a genuinely captivating movie.

Don't get me wrong -- I've enjoyed Transformers, Avengers, etc. But after a decade of computer generated battle scenes, I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed old-fashioned science fiction story telling and stage-style acting. It was a genuine treat.

The movie is slower paced than action adventure flicks, especially up front, and there's not a radical new time travel twist here. What you will find is a good story, that follows an arc you probably didn't expect. And you'll feel the angst of the characters, and understand and believe how their loves and turmoils drive the actions that propel the story to its surprising end.

I wish the industry were producing more movies like this.

Ultimate Body Press Ergonomic Joist Mount Bar
Ultimate Body Press Ergonomic Joist Mount Bar
Price: $54.99
2 used & new from $54.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very sturdy. Allows a variety of grips (but no posts)., April 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Heavy duty construction, with 1 1/4" steel tubing, solid welds, beefy risers, and heavy duty mounting hardware. Let's me focus on the reps, not on whether the bar will slip (which is always a concern, rational or otherwise, with door frame bars). The bar is very wide -- good for folks with a big wingspan and who like to work with varying width grips. I've used a flat bar in the past, so downward sloping handgrips in the middle are taking some getting used to, but they do seem to create a bit less stress on key joints. I received this product for free, for purposes of evaluation. If I were buying a bar, I would probably buy one that also had posts, to provide additional exercise options. This bar is easily mounted on exposed joists/rafters. As you can see from the picture, it's designed to be bolted parallel to the joists, not between them. Bottom line: This is a basic, wide, very sturdy joist-mounted pull-up bar. Would be better with posts. A good addition to your workout space.

Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed - Sunny Mix, 3-Pound (Not Sold in Louisiana)
Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed - Sunny Mix, 3-Pound (Not Sold in Louisiana)
Price: $13.59
15 used & new from $13.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but better, April 7, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've had pretty good luck with this Scotts grass seed. Each seed is covered with a coating that provides a bit of starter fertilizer, prevents fungus, and holds a bit of moisture to the seed. It's not a miracle product, meaning you still have to water the new seed regularly, meaning every day. But it is a slightly more forgiving product, meaning that the seeds are more likely to survive if you're half a day late watering, or if you get an unexpectedly warm/sunny day during the sprouting period. The downside of this coating technology is that you only get about half as much actual seed per pound, since half the weight is in the coating. But having used a wide variety of both uncoated and coated seeds over the past 15 years, I'm convinced that my success rate is at least 2x better with these Scotts coated seeds, so I still think they're more efficient in terms of end product. Given my work schedule and the unpredictability of our weather, it's hard for me to keep seeds constantly damp for two weeks, so these coated seeds raise my odds of actually turning seeds into grass, which makes them worth the premium. If you're able to water your newly seeded areas a couple of times a day, regular uncoated seeds may be a better deal for you.

In terms of specific mixes, I've had good luck with Scott's Northeast Mix. It filled in thin areas nicely when I used it for overseeding. This is my first season with the Sunny Mix

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20