Profile for Citizen John > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 143

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Citizen John RSS Feed (USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Insights on Management II (Insights II Trilogy)
Insights on Management II (Insights II Trilogy)
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and accessible insights on general management, May 4, 2015
Ichak Adizes provides a master code to understand organizations in this book. This code has not changed from his earlier books. Yet here it is more fully developed and wholly entertaining. One does not need any background in the author’s previous works to devour each page of this book.

For those who don’t know about Adizes, he’s unique. He consults to all kinds of organizations, even governments, and whereas he earned his doctorate at Columbia University, he’s been awarded seventeen honorary doctorates from universities around the world. I’ve been receiving his weekly blog emails for years.

Adizes’ humility makes him accessible to a wide audience. He shares his insights while treating readers and commenters as peers. He’s the champion of common sense in ways large and small.

Some surprising secrets were revealed in this book, including: the one criterion that matters most in the real world when an organization selects a candidate for a position; the reason we should watch out for people who work too hard and are indispensible; and the identification of a force that’s served thus far to keep a on lid on social problems in Greece during its economic crisis.

This book fills the space created by our need to understand the sources of our organizational, social and economic stresses, and how we can move forward and have hope in practically any situation. It also provides a framework, both in theory and practice, to repair the businesses in which we work.

The two things I enjoyed most about this book are (1) learning inside details about certain publicly traded companies and some governmental bureaucracies; and (2) the shared wisdom about the nature of people, corporations, and the meaning of life. While this is a bit of an oversimplification, I feel that Adizes’ business books would belong to a contemporary genre of wisdom literature, if such a genre exists.

3M Fastener TB3526N/TB3527N Hook/Loop Black, 1 in x 10 ft (1 Mated Strip/Bag)
3M Fastener TB3526N/TB3527N Hook/Loop Black, 1 in x 10 ft (1 Mated Strip/Bag)
Price: $18.14
8 used & new from $18.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Gives one a lot of options, very handy., May 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a fantastic product! I can't compare it to the Velcro that holds my ankle weights. The reason is, that was how the product was fabricated. But this thin and reliable hook and loop (Velcro being a trade name) lets me decide where and how to use it.

I have a couple canvas carry bags that I applied this to and the results are every bit what I expected. This is thin stuff so it's not going to make such objects look different. But the hold is good and not a problem to pull apart. I'm so used to Velcro and it's the same principle.

There's no end for what one can do with economical 10 foot rolls like these. I can use it for jackets, furniture, exercise equipment, in vehicles, with electronic devices, clothes and more.

Moen YG0424BN Align 24-inch Designer Grab Bar, Brushed Nickel
Moen YG0424BN Align 24-inch Designer Grab Bar, Brushed Nickel
Price: $93.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Utility and beauty., May 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like this grab bar because it's a good length, it's a beautiful piece, and it holds up to 500 pounds.

Grab bars are just handy, so I like them. You don't have to suffer from limited mobility to appreciate the utility of having something to grab to prevent slipping on a wet floor or to help to step over some floor to be able to plant a wet foot on a bathroom mat.

It's a big item so it's important to get brushed nickel if possible and if it doesn't clash with other metals already in the bathroom. Brushed nickel can get scratched and it doesn't matter since the whole surface is essentially scratched up.

Installation was easy. You need a stud finder and a level. That's the only special items needed - unless you're installing on tile which I didn't do.

Hoont™ Powerful Electronic Outdoor/Indoor Animal & Pest Repeller - Motion Activated
Offered by Four Corners Dist.
Price: $49.95
3 used & new from $34.08

5.0 out of 5 stars The bad, the good, and the reason for my increasing the star rating., April 27, 2015
This is the third time I've completely revised my review based on experience with the unit. There are things I don't like about this unit, and I list them below. And there are surprising things I learned to like about the unit.

Here's what I don't like:
* Would like it to be louder. It's just a noisemaker, although a significant one.
* The DC extension cord is suboptimal. Yes, I have others so it doesn't matter. Just saying.
* It's not clear how to turn off the unit. The instructions don't tell how. No indicator assures me that it's turned off.
* The tiny screws for the battery compartment are ridiculous. They're the size of eyeglass frame screws and won't last many uses.

Here's what I like about it:
* It goes on, in intervals, for 30 seconds when motion is detected.
* The combination of noise (loud but not loud enough) and flashing lights is great.
* This thing was going on all night and day - because it was detecting the movement of cars on the street. It picks up motion relatively far away. I can't set it anymore to face moving vehicles in the distance, but I like that the motion sensor is that fine.

I increased the star rating first from 3 to 4, then up to 5 because I have a lot of confidence based on experience that this noise maker will go off through detection of motion.

Repeller received for sincere review.

HemingWeigh Resistance Band Set - (6 Different Bands Range From 5-30 lbs!) + Exercise Chart, Door Buckle, Ankle Hoop, Foam Handle, & Fabric Bag
Offered by Super Deal
Price: $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding set., April 27, 2015
If you're going to get a resistance band set, this is the one to get. It's my third and I have no incentive to use the two that I got previously.

This one is perfect, I think, because it has all the things I know I need (but it could have a bigger bag because you have to roll each band up tightly to fit into the bag).

It has substantial handles and of course, the ankle straps. I love the way the belts are organized so that it's possible to get any number of resistance levels up to 105 pounds. One can discover more and more ways to use this set, but I find them on YTube. Lots of physical therapists have recorded and uploaded their instructions, and one can learn new techniques.

I recommend this set, especially compared with sets that don't have decent handles or easy-to-use clips to attach the belts to handles and ankle straps. Item received for sincere review.

Davidson's Tea Bulk, Herb Chamomile Flower, 16 Ounce Bag
Davidson's Tea Bulk, Herb Chamomile Flower, 16 Ounce Bag
Price: $14.26
7 used & new from $14.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Big chamomile flowers, tremendous volume and good deal., April 27, 2015
This is the real deal for chamomile. Just look at the price of herbal teas and compare the types against each other for weight. You'll see that chamomile is more expensive than most herbs in teas, more expensive than mint for example.

Even though chamomile is relatively expensive, we have been buying it as a standalone tea for many years. For us there is no desire to use chamomile as a blend. It's an acquired taste, just takes a little time before the scent and taste is heavenly.

This bag is certainly the best deal on any chamomile tea I've ever bought. The flowers are relatively large. Normally one would use the tiny teabags it normally comes in and only one at a time due to the relatively high cost. But at this volume and weight, we pack plenty into a tea ball for late night relaxing. Chamomile is a phenomenon for creating a calm feeling that is needed to quickly fall asleep.

Frontier Cumin Seed Powder, 16 Ounce Bags (Pack of 2)
Frontier Cumin Seed Powder, 16 Ounce Bags (Pack of 2)
Price: $18.98
7 used & new from $16.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of fresh cumin., April 27, 2015
This is a great deal on fresh cumin. Such a large amount encourages me to use plenty, and it's great with rice that's made with a rice maker.

Everybody at my house loves this cumin; it's fresh.

ASDM Beverly Hills 20% Salicylic Acid Peel, 2 Ounce
ASDM Beverly Hills 20% Salicylic Acid Peel, 2 Ounce
Price: $24.00
3 used & new from $19.50

5.0 out of 5 stars High strength salicylic acid peel - "medical strength.", April 27, 2015
This is a very potent and effective salicylic acid peel, with 20% as the active ingredient. I find it more efficient to use a stronger dosage, but I wouldn't want to go higher than 20% because an application to the face area can cause vapors that irritate the eyes.

I'm getting good results with this exfoliant.

NOW Foods Lysine Powder, 1 Pound
NOW Foods Lysine Powder, 1 Pound
Price: $14.50
32 used & new from $11.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs to be mixed into wet canned food for cat to eat., April 27, 2015
Just mix in the wet canned food. It's the only way our cat will eat it.

Espoma PO6 Potash Bag, 6-Pound
Espoma PO6 Potash Bag, 6-Pound
Offered by Life and Home
Price: $19.79
20 used & new from $11.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Pink Gold., April 27, 2015
With an analysis of 0-0-60, a plant doesn't need much of this potash. And fortunately it persists is soil that has a high clay content.

Compared to other deals, this seems like a fair deal. It's pricey stuff.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20