Profile for PG > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 41

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

PG RSS Feed (East Coast)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Sitram A01685 Speedo Pressure Cooker with Timer, 8-1/2-quart, Black
Sitram A01685 Speedo Pressure Cooker with Timer, 8-1/2-quart, Black
Offered by The Kitchen Clique
Price: $172.50
5 used & new from $168.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Pressure Cooker, third times a charm., January 18, 2015
This is a quality pressure cooker. I researched Pressure Cookers to death (after purchasing two duds) and this is the one I chose. It is made in France (Not China!) which is one of the things I learned to look for. (France is where the pressure cooker originated.) It is also the one that Iron Chef, Bobby Flay uses. See the video on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6yKoX8mRQI (video titled: "Bobby Flay for OpenSky - Bobby's Go-To Pressure Cooker" in case link doesn't work). It was just a total coincidence that I came across the video when looking for pressure cooker instructions on YouTube. The video will also show you how it opens and closes which is unique and a lot more convenient than other pressure cookers....no lining up the groves...you just twist 1/4 turn to clamp shut and to open back up. Another feature on this one is the pressure knob stays on. It is not a separate piece.

Before ordering this stove top style I ordered two different plug in pressure cookers that had electronic control panels. Both had issues after just a few uses. I was able to return one but the other I am stuck with. This stove top style has no electronic malfunctioning to worry about. I wish I had done my research prior to buying those and gone this route to begin with. Stove Top models also come to pressure MUCH faster. My pressure cooker arrived in perfect condition and seals perfectly. I love my Sitram pressure cooker. I got lucky and paid under $100 for it on Amazon Prime. Right place, right time.

The only negatives I can come up with are 1. the users manual is written in European lingo so it takes a minute to convert what is being said. On the up side, it contains a few recipes to get you started. 2. I wish it came with an extra silicone seal. The rubber silicone seal is said to last 3-5 years depending on amount of use but it would be nice to have an extra on hand when that time comes. I may just purchase an extra in case it is no longer available in 3-5 years.

A few tips: 1. Get an 8 qt size (like this one), not a 6 qt because you can only fill it 2/3 full. This way there will be no worries about fit if you want a few slabs or ribs, a larger size roast or a whole chicken. 2. Purchase Stainless Steal, not aluminum. It costs a little more but will stand the test of time without warping or staining. 3. When storing do not leave the lid in the clamped position. This way the rubber seal won't warp and you will get a lot more life out of it. 4. If you are looking for a few great pressure cooker cookbooks I highly recommend Bob Wardens, Great Food Fast and Slow Food Fast. They are written for the plug in style pressure cookers but can EASILY be converted to stove top because the cooking time is the same.

How to use: Turn stove on high until it comes to pressure (you'll know it's to pressure when steam comes out of BLACK KNOB on lid---not the hole where steam comes out first). You then turn stove down to medium/low and cook for however long the recipe calls for. That is it. The food comes out so moist and flavorful you won't believe it. That is why I keep trying to find the perfect pressure cooker after two fails. Third times a charm.

Kyjen PP01043 Squeakin' Animals Hide-A-Bird Replacement Dog Toys Squeak Toys 3-Pack, Large, Multicolor
Price: $4.99
26 used & new from $4.81

1.0 out of 5 stars These birds do not compare in durability to the squirrels., November 19, 2014
I bought the large Kyjen squirrels w/house. My Dachshund played with them every single day for 3 months. In fact she was obsessed with the game of getting them out of the house then making them squeak for dear life. The house and squirrels are all still in one piece but only one squirrel still has a working squeaker. So, I thought I would replace the squirrels with these inexpensive birds. Every one of them were torn to shreds in less than 30 minutes! These replacements are a big disappointment. Get the squirrels.

Bali Women's Satin Tracings Minimizer Underwire Bra, White, 36DD
Bali Women's Satin Tracings Minimizer Underwire Bra, White, 36DD
Price: $19.37
31 used & new from $16.94

3.0 out of 5 stars Most supportive, uplifting bra on the planet but uncomfortable, October 4, 2014
If you want a bra that is going to lift up and strap down those Double D's so they don't budge, this is the bra for you. I'm a 36DD but could have used a 36DDD in this bra. The cup fabric has zero stretch to it which may account for the size difference. The 36DD has 4 hooks in the back. There is very little shoulder strap adjustment available so even on the longest adjustment your puppies will be back where they were when you were 18. I have tried on countless full figure bras recently and while I still like my Playtex Secrets #4415 for a lift & comfort, this bra is the bra of choice if i want absolutely no movement which the Playtex doesn't give me. I gave it 3 stars because it runs a small & it's not the most comfortable bra.

Beautyrest Recharge World Class Manorville Luxury Firm Pillow Top Mattress Set, Queen
Offered by DealBeds
Price: $1,399.00
2 used & new from $1,130.00

1.0 out of 5 stars KEEP LOOKING. You will not be a happy camper before the end of the first year., August 6, 2014
I selected this mattress under the product warranty to replace the Beautyrest Worldclass mattress that collapsed before the end of the first year. This replacement mattress it now doing the same thing. If I had written my review when I first received this mattress I would have raved about it like the other reviews written during the first month. I'd like to see what those same people have to say now. If you are dead set on purchasing this mattress READ THE WARRANTY. The body impression needs to be 1-1/2" deep WITHOUT APPLIED PRESSURE before they will consider replacing it. Do you realize how deep that is without applied pressure? To measure they put a string across the mattress and the sink hole needs to measure 1-1/2" below the string. If it's 1-1/2" without lying on it, imagine how deep it actually is when you do lie on it. Your bed also needs to have 6 support slates that run under the box spring or you're outta luck. They take a picture of it to send in with the claim.
There can also be no stains on the mattress or it's a no go so buy yourself a waterproof mattress cover now. Accidents happen. (When you put the mattress cover on you lose the "cooling technology".) If you're lucky enough to meet the fine print replacement standards, you still have to pay for shipping and purchase a matching box spring. If you want to read about my nightmare in detail, click to read my other reviews. And for the record neither my husband nor I are grossly overweight. So, if this is the mattress you purchase and you weigh more than 165 lbs. & 185 lbs you're looking at big time back problems every morning, a year from now. I am so done with Simmons.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2015 2:06 PM PDT

Hamilton Beach 7 Quart Stay Or Go Slow Cooker
Hamilton Beach 7 Quart Stay Or Go Slow Cooker
Offered by AV House
Price: $47.71
23 used & new from $31.50

3.0 out of 5 stars The 2 things that are wrong with this slow cooker., May 13, 2014
Length:: 0:36 Mins

When I read the reviews on this slow cooker the two cons I saw repeated the most were (1) steam burns your hand when you open the lid (there is no way around it) (2) it runs too hot even on the lowest setting (liquid actually boils). Both are true so if you think those things would be bothersome then I would pass on this particular slow cooker. There is a work-around on the higher cooking temp: I cooked short ribs for 6 hours instead of 8 hours and they came out perfect.

The video I posted shows both problems. The sound you hear after opening the lid is me dropping the spoon I used to raise the lid because the steam burned my arm and that was opening it with a spoon from the side. You can see the steam pour out of the pot. It even fogs up the lens of my phone (it clears up pretty quickly so you can see the stew "boiling" on low).

I like the hard to find XL size (although some reviews say it is actually 6 qt, not 7 qt.), the clamp down lid, the fold down handles and the look. I also like that it has a knob rather than electronic panel. I just don't know if these things outweigh the two major design flaws. I am still on the fence about whether to keep it or return it.

UPDATE: I ended up keeping it and wish I had not. The steam burned everyone's arm at a party I took it to. Everyone said that is the biggest design flaw they have ever seen. I'm surprised it hasn't been recalled.

Ouku® Deck Mount Modern Single Handle Widespread Waterfall Bathroom Vessel Sink LED Faucet Chrome Bath Tub Mixer Taps Bathtub Faucets Cheap Discount Unique Designer Plumbing Fixtures Single Hole Direct Roman Vanity Glacier Bay Faucets
Offered by LightInTheBox Home Store
Price: $52.32
3 used & new from $33.99

1.0 out of 5 stars WHY WHY WHY did I buy this thing after reading the reviews?, May 2, 2014
If I could give this a minus rating I would. After reading the reviews I chose only to believe the positive ones. That's how bad I wanted this faucet. The video a buyer (or the seller!) posted with their review drew me in even more. I was even willing to overlook the fact that the fittings it comes with wouldn't work (which they didn't) as so many mentioned in their reviews. We solved this problem with a trip to the hardware store. That was the easy part!

What I wasn't prepared for was that the sink hole opening required for this to fit would be too small. The description reads that you need 1/2" opening. What you really need is a 1-1/2" opening. Our opening was 1-1/4". I should have returned it right there and then but noooooo, I had my husband chip away at the porcelain until it fit. Once we made the connector fit and the opening fit, it was time to hook it up and see the pretty lights when the water was turned on. Ready...Set... Nothing. EXCEPT THE LOUDEST FAUCET I HAVE EVER HEARD IN MY LIFE! So, not only no lights to see but you need earplugs not to hear. Why has no one mentioned how freakin loud this thing is? I am not exaggerating when I say it can be heard throughout the house even when the door is shut!

I have learned the following lesson the hard way. No matter how cool something is, no matter how much I "have to have it", I will listen to the reviews that tell me in so many words to run for my life and never look back.

Rain and Thunder Meditation
Rain and Thunder Meditation
Price: $1.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Crack Snapple Pop, April 9, 2014
There is a click/snap noise in a couple of places during this recording that's bothersome when you're trying to relax. It's not the rain, it's a recording glitch; you even hear the volume change after the sound. If you can get past that don't worry some of the thunder clashes are so loud it will jolt you right out of relaxed state.

Woodstock Percussion ZENERGY Zenergy Chime - Solo Percussion Instrument
Woodstock Percussion ZENERGY Zenergy Chime - Solo Percussion Instrument
Price: $9.77
31 used & new from $8.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Yoga Daughters Favorite Christmas Gift, December 29, 2013
Out of all the gifts we gave our youngest daughter for Christmas this was her favorite. It was the first gift I bought and the least expensive. She is a new Yoga instructor and said it will be perfect for Yoga Nidra (awaking students from yogi-sleep) at the end of class. It has a high pitch ring that lasts quite a while when tapped gently. It's a pretty nice quality item for the price and I'm glad I bought it.

Optimus U-32030 3.5 Gallon Warm Mist Humidifier with Wicking Vapor System
Optimus U-32030 3.5 Gallon Warm Mist Humidifier with Wicking Vapor System

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good. Whisper Quiet. Sleeves ARE available., October 11, 2013
I want to start out by saying replacement sleeves ARE available right here on Amazon. When I ordered this unit I ordered a 3 pack to have on hand. The unit comes with one sleeve.

A lot of thought went into the design of this humidifier. It's pretty compact for a high capacity, 3.5 gal unit and it's very easy to use. They even put handles, not just on the top of the tanks, but on the bottom of the tanks to make it easy to hold while filling with water and flipping back over when you're finished filling. The sleeves that go over the heating element to keep mineral build up off the element itself is brilliant. No more scrapping! The fabric sleeves can also be washed for use again and again.

I wanted a warm mist humidifier since we only use during the winter months. My thinking was warm mist would keep the heated air warm whereas cool mist would have a constant flow of cold air blowing into the room which seemed counterproductive.

I am extremely impressed with the whisper quiet operation of this humidifier! It can hardly be heard at all and the fabric sleeve keeps it from gurgling.

I am also impressed with the amount of steam that pours out of it. It uses one tank of water at a time so don't expect to see the water go down in both tanks simultaneously. It switches to the other tank automatically once the first tank is empty.

Finally, I think the price is quite reasonable compared to other warm mist humidifiers; even with ongoing sleeve purchases. I would rather pay for sleeves than to have to scrape the element which makes it worth it to me.

We have not used it for an entire season yet, in fact, we are early on in it's use so I will update this review when we have had a longer history with it. It is for the great room at our cabin where we have electric heat and a fire burning most of the winter.

UPDATE: I have decided to scrape the element after each use. You will see white deposits on the metal element even with use of the sleeve. Build-up comes off fairly easy by letting it cool down then scraping both sides with a knife. We have not had a problem but I want to eliminate the possibility that the plastic will melt around the element like some of the other reviewers have experienced. Better safe than sorry.

David King & Co. Extra Large Multi Pocket Duffel, Black, One Size
David King & Co. Extra Large Multi Pocket Duffel, Black, One Size
Price: $132.59
16 used & new from $87.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft Leather. Large Size. Light Weight. Great Price., August 22, 2013
I am thrilled with this purchase. I was a little nervous as to what the quality of the leather would be at this price point but was pleasantly surprised that it is soft and smooth. And the size...let me tell you...I searched high and low for an extra large leather duffle bag that was truly extra large, not just called extra large. Well, not only was this one of the largest leather duffle I found but it also happen to be at one of the best prices. Now, that's something that doesn't happen everyday, not to me anyway.

Something else I am a fan of is the zippered side pockets on each end of the bag. They aren't so wide that it takes away from the width of the clothes compartment...yet they are big enough for a pair of shoes (or whatever else you want off to the side). With this duffle I can fit two pairs of jeans side by side in the main compartment without them overlapping. Other duffles may be the same exact overall width of this one but the side pockets are so wide you end up getting less room in the main compartment so you wouldn't actually be able to put two pairs of pants or two sweaters side by side. Hope that makes sense. To give you an idea of size, it can fit 5 pairs of jeans & a pair of pajama's stacked up on one side and 5 heavy shirts/sweaters & underwear on the other, plus a hoodie on top (and it's still not jammed pack to the point that you have to force the zipper to close.) toiletries in one side pocket and a pair of shoes in the other side pocket.

This bag isn't firmly constructed to stand up on it's own, unless it's full of course. The inside is fully lined but there is no heavy cardboard in between the lining and the leather. So, when it's empty it folds down (collapses) on it's own. I'm sure this is one of the reasons it is priced so reasonably and accounts for it's light weight. It actually doesn't bother me as it saves room in my closet and doesn't add extra weight when the bag is full.

Two final things I want to mention are, I have found that duffle's that open like this one (with a u-shaped flap) are much easier to get into than those that just have a zipper that goes straight across the top. Second, the shoulder strap does not clip on & off, it needs to be buckled on both sides like a belt. Not sure why they went that way. (I don't use the shoulder strap anyway.)

As long as you aren't expecting the quality of a hand crafted Italian Leather Duffel Bag for this price I think you'll be happy. Amazon had the best price on this bag at the time of my purchase. Shipping was also free. I love Amazon.

P.S. I got it in the black. It arrived so fast I couldn't believe it....I'm talking 2 days.

UPDATE: Still loving this bag and use it often but wanted to say the velcro they used on the leather piece that keeps the handles together is way too strong. Opening the handles has started to cause the velcro itself to pull away from the leather peice it's sewn to. A lighter duty velcro would have kept the handles together just fine and would have avoided this problem. Hopefully some E6000 will keep the sections bonded.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 25, 2013 10:20 AM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5