Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Profile for D.C. > Reviews

Browse

D.C.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 420

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D.C. RSS Feed (OR USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Good Neighbor
The Good Neighbor
Price: $4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Slogged Through, August 20, 2015
This review is from: The Good Neighbor (Kindle Edition)
I really struggled to finish this. I hated the main character. She didn't come across strong, she came across as irritating. The clues were really obvious and I knew more about her husband before the fire happened than she did 1/2 way through.

I got this for free, I would say it is a skip.

Uprooted
Uprooted
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Mac & Barron but still great read, August 12, 2015
This review is from: Uprooted (Kindle Edition)
This book was recommended by Karen Marie Moning. She said if you were missing the Barrons/Mac dynamic to get this, so I did.

I actually find the Dragon nothing like Barrons except superficially. It is a wonderful book in it's own right. I thoroughly enjoyed the writing style, and was constantly surprised by what happened next.

It was a different and complex world, you had to pay attention, but that was easy. I did not read cover to cover, I was able to set it down, which is why it got 4 stars instead of 5.

Nieshka is sweet and so honest. You become quite fond of her and her bumbling ways. Dragon is stiff and formal, and I hope there story continues somewhere. The side characters are well developed and you can visualize everything.

Try a sample and make sure the writing style is to your taste, I knew a couple paragraphs in and I purchased an unknown to me author despite steep price. I was not disappointed.

Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels)
Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels)
by Ilona Andrews
Price: $14.56
52 used & new from $14.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the Next book in series now!!!, August 4, 2015
This was my least loved book in the series and it still rakes a 5 star.

This book feels like a transition book, and quite frankly I am nervous about what may happen in the next book. I don't want to give out any spoilers. I love Kate & Curran, they are my favorite book couple. Their relationship continues to grow, and I love their interactions.

This book for me was the tension and groundwork being laid for the next book that has me nervous. So IA did a wonderful job of setting it up. There is a lot of foreshadowing, and that is what has me on tenterhooks. It doesn't seem fair to keep me this nervous. There are a ton of great things in the works, and a bunch of stuff that could go more ways than 1 and I am hoping for the happy vs the bad "what if" scenario.

I have now spent hours what iffing the next book, and I need to stop. It will be fantastic. IA has never let me down.

We get lots of Julie, and I love seeing how her and Kate's relationship is growing. Not as much Derek as I like, but then he is one of my all time favorites. We do get to visit quite a few characters from past books. For this reason if you are not up on the Kate Daniels world you will want to start at the beginning. Some of the characters we see go back to earlier books.

If you have been reading them, don't wait. I am going to go back and re-read now.

The Severed Thread (An Abigail Lassiter Novel Book 1)
The Severed Thread (An Abigail Lassiter Novel Book 1)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great First!, July 7, 2015
I had read a couple reviews, and I almost did not get this book. I am so glad I did. I am an avid reader, and I read this cover to cover. In fact I stayed up to finish it.

What had given me pause was the talk about not using contractions, and I admit, she does not. There is also some awkward punctuation and typo's.. This aside, it is a good read. I gave it 5 stars because had a sequel been out, I would have purchased it as soon as I finished.

I really liked Abigail, she is a good character, and I am very intrigued by Alexander. Abigail is a bit of a unique character, she is an elf, with a twist, which is refreshing. The characters are good, but the whole vampire leader and werewolf leader being interested in her while it never gets truly old, it does fee a little like a cliche. I do like Liam, less so whats his face the wolf boy. I need more on him.

No sex, just good old fashioned tension, storyline and characters. You do get the feeling that most of the strong males are going to fall at Abigail's feet, the series will all depend on how the author has that come about. There are many series that jump the shark having the main female be so "all that" she turns into some pervy thing. I have high hopes this author will continue to give us strong book. Will definitely buy the next in series and follow this author.

Ride Steady (Chaos)
Ride Steady (Chaos)
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Yay - She is back - Nailed this one, July 6, 2015
So excited to have KA back in her form. Her last few book, I struggled with.

This book has a little bit of everything. It has the depth to the characters you come to expect, and a minimum of repeated words.

I read this cover to cover and did not put it down or stop. I really like Carissa and Joker. They were a great couple, and none of the angsty stuff that happens where there is a big misunderstanding and someone storms off. There are some small problems but they are all worked out. This is so refreshing. They are the perfect couple. Honest and sincere.

It is nice seeing the old characters, but I really liked how darling this family was. I won't give a spoiler, but I thought the resolution with Travis was the best. That was fantastic.

If you have been like me - on the fence b/c of the past few books, jump back in with both feet - you will not be disappointed.

Windburn (Nightwing series Book 2)
Windburn (Nightwing series Book 2)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series!!1, June 22, 2015
Hot wow!!! I loved the glimpse I had of Lorian in the previous book, and I loved him in this one.

I really enjoyed his story. He and Sorcha are a good match. LOVE those major Alpha's, and boy is he one. Not in the creepy way, in the ohhhh take me big boy way.

I really like the world building and the story lines as they develop more details about Morags vs humans. How they interact.

This is a great new series not to be missed. Much more romancey than Urban. The heroines might be sassy, but they are not butt kickers really. I am off to purchase the new full length novel that follows this. I read Soulfire and this back to back, and now must continue to read more about this world. Not that I think anyone can hold a candle to Lorian.

Try Soulfire first, it was free when I grabbed it, and it let me know I love this authors style.

Amazon Echo
Amazon Echo
Price: $179.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall all love it, June 19, 2015
This review is from: Amazon Echo (Electronics)
I mostly love it, and I think most of the bugs have been worked out. I have had Alexa now for a little over 6 months, Merry Christmas to me :).

This has a lot of features that I don't use, mainly we end up using her as a kitchen timer, occasional measurement question, or when did someone die. And glorified radio and weather station.

It is all more handy and addictive than I would have thought; however, there are so many things I wish she did. For instance many of the things I ask such as - Can you tell me what music artist had the most number 1 hits - she will send a bing message to my phone. I don't want it sent to my phone, I want her to tell me the same way google now does, but alas she does not. If it is going to my phone, I could have used my google feature and gotten the answers there. Basically I am being too lazy to walk to my phone, and I refuse to have Bing Bar. I am a chrome girl.

So I do not use a lot of functions like timers for my house and sports stats, because I love Junior Hockey and there are no stats for that to be found.

I tried the definitions of words and every one I tried she did not get, am I mispronouncing them? Possible but doubtful. I get - Hmmm, I don't have the answer to that frequently. She just does not make the cut for me for reference, and for that I am dinging her 1 star. (she was advertised with being able to help with homework)

With that exception, she has amazing hearing, just make sure you pause after her name so she can come on and you can give her a command or ask a question. I really love the hands free option. Being able to be across the room and order a playlist is pretty magical. I can only imagine it is like having a helpful willing husband springing to do my bidding, turn up volume, turn down volume - boom Alexa does it, unlike my husband who says, WHAT? - hrmmm nevermind.

She has never had a wifi issue, even though my Kindle sometimes does,occasionally if there is a lot of wi fi use a song will cut out, but it does come back. This happens rarely. The sound is excellent. I would not hesitate to purchase her again. Easy to set up. She is overall really great, I think they will continue to add to her features, if you love technology, or would just like to be able to turn on your music when someone leaves the house and you are in middle of something, like mopping, cooking, reading, you NEED Alexa!

Reebok Women's Crossfit Lite Lo TR Training Shoe, China Red/Electro Pink/Steel, 9 M US
Price: $29.86
2 used & new from $29.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Them, June 15, 2015
I love these. I was living in my nano's, now I have a really cute alternative and am not wearing out my workout shoes. Especially since I got these for 30 bucks versus 100 and up for the nano. I can not wear vans b/c they are too narrow, so i really like this option.

These fit the same as my nano's no arch support to speak of and wide toe box, maybe a little lower on the ankle, I live in mismatched socks and when I wear my nano's I don't notice them as much as I do when I wear these. The front is a suede type material and the back is canvas.

I bought the same size as I get in the nano. They fit perfect out of the box, no issues with blistering or anything. Walked around in them for hours and had no problems.

Deception: Vampires In America, Book 9
Deception: Vampires In America, Book 9
by D. B. Reynolds
Price: $14.95
24 used & new from $11.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear your schedule, this is a cover to cover read!, June 9, 2015
Just when I thought they could not get better, this one just blew me away.

I actually cried, it just ripped at my emotions. So many good things in one book, just don't have the words. Thank you D.B.

First of all I will say I had gotten a little bit tired of Raphael and Cyn, I felt sometimes they were in other books too much. I wanted more on the other characters, which is ironic, because at first I was irritated that we had new characters. Just goes to prove some people can't be made happy.

This book brought back all the power, chemistry and ingenuity of Cyn and Raphael of old. I think that was my problem in previous books, these characters are too fantastic to only have a glimpse of them. They really do command and overshadow everyone else, as they should.

I don't want to give any spoilers, but if you have been with following this series since book 1, make sure you have nothing else you have to do until you finish this one. There are so many things I liked about this book:

1. Cyn is completely her own person that has garnered respect in spite of being human
2. Raphael and the way he trusts Cyn and the glimpses we get into how he thinks of her
3. Ken Ichi - what a great fleshing out of a character we always had and never knew
4. Juro - He is awesome and I loved seeing how close he was to his boss and Cyn
5. Lucas - because well he is Lucas
6. General badassery
7. The emotional connection you feel to the group you have grown to know and love
8. Elke

Great book. Great series, start @ the beginning with Raphael if you have not read it. Raphael and Lucas had been my favorite books up until now, I think this one bested them both.

The Days of Noah: Book One: Conspiracy
The Days of Noah: Book One: Conspiracy
Price: $3.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Biggest conspiracy theories all in 1, May 24, 2015
9/11, illuminati, free masons, skull and bones. Homeland security monitoring. Common core.

While some of these may be more believable thank most. This was the first 13 percent of the book. It seems there is not a conspiracy out there that is not incorporated I to this book.

I gave up. I liked the story, but it would have been better if the author wasn't trying g to convince you the whole time of a multitude of conspiracies. That is where it lost me. Nothing original, just a bunch of unproven theories. Had they not been based I reality, it might have been mote engaging. Instead I felt like I was watching a bad YouTube video carefully edited and ignoring any facts that disagree with their point of view.

Should you be a person who embraces the above conspiracies, you will LOVE this book. For others that while some of these theories might have SOME merit, but don't want to eat a conspiracy soup where everything is tossed into pot, just skip it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20