Profile for Darrell F. Musick > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Darrell F. Musick RSS Feed (Berea, KY United States)

The Conversion of the Jews (Short Stories Series)
The Conversion of the Jews (Short Stories Series)
by Philip Roth
21 used & new from $17.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Jewish Huck, April 11, 2010
Even the Chosen are not immune from the blessings of the trickster who reminds us that there are more things in heaven and earth than we dream of. Shalom!!

Original Carolina Beach Music: Dance The Night Away
Original Carolina Beach Music: Dance The Night Away
Offered by Speedy CD
Price: $21.97
9 used & new from $9.67

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, January 10, 2008
Mr. Welsh might find it interesting to know that the Carolinas were dancing to Calvin Boze years before the term "Rock and Roll" went mainstream. "Beach Music" was our term for this raw, exotic and exciting sound that could prominently be heard in the 1950's only on powerful WLAC Radio, Nashville and on the Carolina (and a few other East Coast) beaches. Talk about progessive, Mr. Welsh--we cool southerners were way ahead of the rest of the country in digging R&B!!!
But I was disappointed with this item because most of it is just too slick and polished and watered down for my taste--almost a weak parody of old-school. Get off your buns, Carolina bands, and bring back the low-fi rawness and intensity of the good old funky vinyl days!! Or at least work up a sweat.

Looking Beyond the Mountains
Looking Beyond the Mountains
by Steven Hammond
Price: $13.50
31 used & new from $6.23

5.0 out of 5 stars One in Twenty Million, November 12, 2007
It is difficult enough for the average person in this life to figure out who he/she is--his/her relation to God, the universe, etc. But rarely has anyone faced a more angst-ridden confusion over identity than Steve Hammond. This is a unique story of gender confusion that lasted 25 years. And when the question was finally decided, inter-personal problems then plagued the writer. Hammond also shares childhood experiences growing up in dire poverty in the Eastern Kentucky mountains.
But what's most interesting is the writer's seeming transcendence of his problems and rendering his Job-like struggles with a lightness of style that reflects an uncommonly positive attitude.
Entertaining and inspiring.

If You're Feeling Sinister
If You're Feeling Sinister
Price: $9.84
68 used & new from $1.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Converted!, September 26, 2007
This self-righteous, know-it-all, middle-aged, rock 'n' roll left over feels lucky to find one new band or artist every other year worth his time. I mean after the Beatles, Steely Dan, Allman Brothers, Hendrix, etc., etc., what's the point? Well, yes, there's Weezer, Spoon and Rooney, but that's about it.

Then after a three-year dry spell, last spring as I often do, I innocently borrowed two interesting looking CDs--Electric Blue Watermelon by the North Mississipi Allstars and Dear Catastrophe Waitress by B&S--from the town library. Suddenly, my cup ranneth over relevant to both.

"Step into My Office, Baby," the geeky jazz kick off to "Waitress," for example, told me I had found something special. And I fell in love with about half of that sporadically inspired LP.

Then after checking out here what was recommended, I ordered "Sinister," which took a while to appreciate after the slick production on DCW. But now, wow! "Fox in the Snow," "Like Dylan," "Mayfly," and "Judy and the Dream of Horses," are clasped to my bosom with hoops of steele!

Finally, people of taste and sensitivity, here's some great new stuff to explore. And I haven't felt so blissfully twee since Donovan!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2009 3:08 PM PST

Rag Doll And 10 Other Hits
Rag Doll And 10 Other Hits
11 used & new from $5.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe the best Seasons' LP ?, February 28, 2004
This is to correct the otherwise great prior review: "Rag Doll" was by no means the group's first Number One single!
And hey, BluesDuke: how about "Coming Up in the World" from the Working My Way Back to You lp?
Forever a fan!

Price: $7.39
225 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best since . . . ?, December 23, 2003
This review is from: Rooney (Audio CD)
Warning: gushing, middle-aged know-it-all here opines!!
I'm a fifty-something musician who has performed every musical style from Earnest Tubb to Vivaldi, and I know great music when it slaps me.
It happened in a Target store in Lexington, KY--a Rooney video blasting from a wall of twenty-seven-inch TVs!
"Now that's the most interesting rock music I've heard since Spoon!" I thought to myself, and immediately sought and bought the cd--first time in more than a decade that I'd procured an lp on hearing a mere snatch of a song. And I now am a Rooney apostle!
Youngsters, if you like Weezer (and I certainly do), Rooney trumps them and evey other contemporary band I've heard. And fellow geezers--you who cherish the three-sided Utopia lp and/or enjoyed the more tuneful '70's and early 80's new wave bands like the Shoes and Records, etc.--do yourselves a tremendous favor and get Rooney! For me, maybe the most fun I've had since Talking Heads' "Remain in Light."
Rejoyce, intelligent music lovers of all ages everywhere: Rooney, at last, has delivered us!

Price: $7.39
225 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best since . . . ?, December 23, 2003
This review is from: Rooney (Audio CD)
Warning: gushing, middle-aged know-it-all here opines!!
Youngsters, if you like Weezer (and I certainly do), Rooney trumps them and evey other contemporary band I've heard. And fellow geezers--you who cherish the three-sided Utpoia lp and/or enjoyed the more tuneful '70's and early 80's new wave bands like the Shoes and Records, etc.--do yourselves a tremendous favor and get Rooney! For me, maybe the most fun I've had since Talking Heads' "Remain in Light."

Dedicated to You
Dedicated to You
Offered by creativemusicsf
Price: $17.99
47 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Sing Along With Sandy!, October 10, 2003
This review is from: Dedicated to You (Audio CD)
All you baby boomer, old-school, R&B fans should get this labor of love cd and (if you're not a lush or tea totaler) a six pack of your favorite suds, and then you won't need a big crowd of people to pull a party. You'll soon be singing and/or hucklebucking all by yourself to beat the band!
Although the singing on four cuts is somewhat flat, that leaves twelve that are toes on the nose. My faves are the hypnotically driving, "Louie, Louiesque," Richard Berry song "Have Love Will Travel" and the resplendently warm "Guided Missiles," which definately will transport you back to the Eisenhauer era!
No surprize--another big success from Big Sandy!

Last Night
Last Night

5.0 out of 5 stars Party Monster!, August 14, 2002
This review is from: Last Night (Audio CD)
Caught "Last Night" on Myrtle Beach radio during June vacation and was killed. Anderson here has rendered one of the best cover (original, by the Mar-Keys) sendups ever. THANK YOU to the Southeast Coast shaggers for making this an instant "beach music" hit. Every R&B and rock station in the country now should be blasting Anderson at least five times a day.
Oh, well, while the rest of America continues to pick its scabs in the post 9/11 world, the Virginia/Carolina coast parties on! Excelsior, Chris Anderson!
Baba boop, baba boop, HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!