Profile for Brian Hill > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brian Hill RSS Feed

Belle Fleur 50147 Sedona Screen Bird Feeder
Belle Fleur 50147 Sedona Screen Bird Feeder
Price: $29.99
13 used & new from $22.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Came with the House, January 25, 2014
Nice sturdy all metal bird feeder. Don't fill it inside with small seed though - it comes through the fine mesh and fills the lower tray, so it will kind of go everywhere.
However, in the garden, the birds love it - sadly the squirrels do too, so it needs to be mounted on a squirrel proof post.
Overall, though, I would say this is a good value well built bird feeder.

Birds Without Wings
Birds Without Wings
by Louis De Bernieres
Price: $13.16
213 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful and wonderful historical novel, January 3, 2013
This review is from: Birds Without Wings (Paperback)
I loved this book, even more than I loved the Senior Vivo Trilogy. The characters came alive, as did the village with Mr de Berniere's skilful writing style. The wonderful idyl of a small pre WWI Turkish village, and the interaction between the ethnic Greeks and the ethnic Turks within part of the ottoman empire is created, and slowly pulled apart, much as the ottoman empire came apart. The ensuing upheaval of WWI and the relocation of the ethnic Greeks and Turks, from their home country to that of their ethnicity, is all woven into a story of people, about whom I really came to care.

Notwithstanding
Notwithstanding
by Louis De Bernieres
73 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Louis de Bernieres on good form, January 3, 2013
This review is from: Notwithstanding (Paperback)
A lovely book about... well, it could just be a series of short stories, but then short stories aren't normally all written about the same locality, and the characters don't normally appear in each others stories. So I guess this is another novel, about the village of Notwithstanding, the characters that live, or have lived there, and how they all interact with each other, if even only in minor ways. But then, wasn't that the style of Senior Vivo etc.? As for the complaints about Birds Without Wings? Well, they're not relevant to this book review.

Apple TV MD199LL/A (Current Version)
Apple TV MD199LL/A (Current Version)
Price: $89.99
100 used & new from $74.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect if you have an Apple "environment " at home, December 29, 2012
We have an "un-smart" TV and so earlier this year bought a Sony SMP-N200, which is effectively the smart TV gubbins in a separate box. I'm very pleased with the Sony for what it does. But it's what the Sony doesn't do that caused me to want the Apple TV - I still have to watch ESPN 3, and non-Netflx/Hulu Plus streaming sites on my iMac - which is fine, but isn't in as comfortable a location as my TV is...

The combination of the Apple TV and my iMac now means that by using Airplay Mirroring, I can watch anything streaming on my computer directly on the TV - which is just what I wanted. Oh and we can also display whatever my wife is streaming on her iPhone directly on the TV.

Purchasers do need to check the spec of their hardware though. If you have an apple computer from before 2012, check the compatibility list on Apple's web site, to see if airplay mirroring will work for you. If airplay mirroring won't work for you, and you don't intend to update your hardware, you may want to look at the Roku (no you-tube option to date) or another streaming device, which has more "in the box" streaming options than the apple TV has.

However, for me and any other Apple devotees, this is the streaming device you want to attach to your "un-smart" TV (and possibly your smart TV as well).

Morning's At Seven
Morning's At Seven
by Eric Lawson Malpass
Price: $11.63
25 used & new from $3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful book that only the hard hearted would dislike., December 23, 2012
This review is from: Morning's At Seven (Paperback)
I first read my Father's copy of Mornings at Seven about twenty years ago now and was delighted to discover that it is back in print again.

The eccentric Pentecost Family, observed by the youngest Pentecost, Gaylord, is a delightful and humorous read that borders on entertaining Pantomime at times. The first page sets the tone for this brilliant story that is both well written and well observed at the same time.

Enjoy!

Engleby: A Novel
Engleby: A Novel
by Sebastian Faulks
Price: $9.98
27 used & new from $2.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, December 21, 2011
This review is from: Engleby: A Novel (Hardcover)
I would recommend Engleby to anyone. The plot is engaging and masterful and the main character is a fascinating anti-hero - or is he just a misunderstood hero? All in all a great book, and well worth a second read.

Human Traces (Vintage International)
Human Traces (Vintage International)
by Sebastian Faulks
Price: $14.39
89 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissappointing, December 21, 2011
Having read many of Faulks' novels, I was looking forward to reading Human Traces. It started well, but ultimately was a disappointment.

Overall, there is something about the characters that is not quite 'real'. Whilst I was interested to know what happened, my interest was never quite full. There seemed to me to be random characters added for no reason other than to fill a few pages. The course of the story moved like a badly edited film, with long and short 'hops' in time that seemed to come at inopportune times in the narrative.

Overall, for anyone interested in Faulks' work, I'd recommend Bird Song, Charlotte Gray, or the excellent Engleby before Human Traces.