Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS
Profile for Paige > Reviews

Browse

Paige's Profile

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Paige "awesome" RSS Feed (CA, United States)

Art Students League of New York on Painting: Lessons and Meditations on Mediums, Styles, and Methods
by James Lancel McElhinney
Price: $25.58
75 used & new from $12.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book with many perspectives on painting, February 25, 2016
What a wonderful book this is! It is pretty unique in its format too. I love books that showcase beautiful paintings, drawings, collages, etchings, illustrations, crafts, and other works. I also love looking at art instruction books, the ones that tell you about materials, how to use them, how to draw, and offer step-by-step instruction. This book is neither, despite its subtitle saying that it contains "lessons." It does, in a way--but not through tutorials or really delving into technique. However what it does offer is equally or more more valuable

We hear from 18 different instructors from the Art League, and they all have something to impart. It's like if you had 18 conversations about art with experienced artists and teachers. They only touch on the mechanics of mark making and when they do have "step by step" lessons, they are not in depth. However they still contain useful information about the way a particular artist/teacher works. What I loved about this book was all the perspectives on art and making art, what they consider important or unimportant to a work, their philosophies about painting. There are so many ideas expressed in here--it is very rich.

I felt the weakest part of the book was the middle section, which is dedicated to "advice and philosophies." For some reason, I thought the other two sections ("Lessons and Demos" and "Interviewed") carried a lot more information about advice and philosophies. The middle section seemed, to me, to be heavy on individuals' biographies. However this wasn't necessarily a bad thing, since it included tons of name-dropping--in this case, quite welcome name-dropping because it's led me to the discovery of new artists.

And of course there is art reproduced in the pages a lot of it is so gorgeous. Peter was wowed by the first page I randomly turned to when I got it. There's lots of great stuff in here. As you might expect with so many different artists (more than 18, actually, since there are "student galleries" as well), I didn't love every style. However it was really neat because some of the people whose art didn't speak to me had some of the most insightful things to say.

The great value in this book is its diversity of contributors which in turn lend a diversity of thoughts on and ideas about how to approach painting--many voices add to a discussion about progression as an artist, composition, color, selling work, sketchbooks, studios, inspiration, goals. I would definitely read another book like this one. It actually made me break my acrylics out (I've been using watercolor almost exclusively), for which I am thankful.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

Pop Painting: Inspiration and Techniques from the Pop Surrealism Art Phenomenon
Pop Painting: Inspiration and Techniques from the Pop Surrealism Art Phenomenon
by Camilla D' Errico
Price: $14.14
75 used & new from $7.87

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and informative, February 7, 2016
The quality of this book is great, and the artwork inside is beautiful and reproduced very well. In the first section of the book (the first ten chapters or so), Camilla d'Errico talks about what pop surrealism is, what inspires her, how she handles creative blocks, finding a style, composition, complacency, colors and emotions, the tools she uses, and one of her favorite techniques, blending. None of it is super in depth but she does have some good tips I'd never heard before and it's always interesting to hear an artist talk about their work.

The second part of the book is the step-by-step tutorials. I did not try these (I wanted to get the Holbein Duo paints she talks about) but I did take a look at them. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they are more thorough than other step-by-step tutorials in art books I have. Of course, they do assume you already have some level of drawing skill. This fact should be understood when looking into almost any painting "how to" book--after all, many schools won't let you take even an intro painting until you've taken at least a semester and sometimes a year of drawing first. Nonetheless I feel like this bears pointing out since sometimes reviews on art technique books reveal that the reviewer thought the book would somehow magically make them great artists: if you don't have some drawing skill, you <em>will</em> still able to put her techniques (shadowing, definition, texture, color mixing) into practice, but if you have never drawn anything or do not have any aptitude for it, your pieces probably will not look polished like d'Errico's work (I'm sure they would have a charm all their own though--in fact sometimes I prefer art by "non-artists"). Also, there's no substitute for practice. That said, the tutorials are informative, helpful, and thorough (she tells you what kind of brush she's using, how she's shading, where she's adding colors to complement different elements, etc.--things that make a painting look great that you might not think about automatically).

All in all I think this is a really fun book to look through and I am excited to try out some of her tutorials. I spend a lot of times looking at art books and I think this one is worthwhile.

Ruins of the Southwest Postcard Book (Wish You Were Here Postcard Books)
Ruins of the Southwest Postcard Book (Wish You Were Here Postcard Books)
by Jeff Nicholas
Price: $4.95
27 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars 14 postcards, March 6, 2015
The postcards are a little "oversize" and kind of floppy--totally mailable, but not the sturdiest. There are only 14 postcards in this book, and if I had known that I probably would have passed. Still, the pictures are good and they are fairly nice postcards.

Canson Watercolor Paper Pad, 30-Sheet, 9-Inch by 12-Inch, X-Large
Canson Watercolor Paper Pad, 30-Sheet, 9-Inch by 12-Inch, X-Large
Price: $9.99
26 used & new from $5.26

5.0 out of 5 stars I found it to be awesome, January 22, 2013
I'm not sure why there are so many scathing reviews on the product. Granted, I didn't buy mine from Amazon--maybe they got a defective batch. This watercolor paper suits my purposes just fine. I basically douse it in water and it holds up pretty well. Yes, it buckles a bit. Yes, if I rub super hard with a colored pencil while the paper is still wet, there is a minimal amount of tiny bits of paper coming up. I don't blame that on the paper, though--it happens with every watercolor paper I've used, usually to a much greater degree than the Canson. This is a great product and I WILL be buying it again.

The Land Before Time V - The Mysterious Island
The Land Before Time V - The Mysterious Island
DVD ~ Brandon La Croix
Offered by Movieshack
Price: $7.87
39 used & new from $0.08

4.0 out of 5 stars Well..., December 22, 2006
I only saw this movie because of Chomper's return. I'm a Chomper addict. Although I don't think this movie had even close to the amount of Chomper needed, I have to say it was a well-done movie. No, it doesn't hold a candle to the original Land Before Time or the second one, but it still deals with a sensitive and possibly disturbing dilemma (the Sharpteeth's eating of the other dinosaurs) in a mature way.

Chomper talks--I wasn't really expecting that. But it was adorable and I love him! He even sings! Eee!

I wasn't disappointed with this movie (I mean, I gave it four stars), but I wasn't too thrilled. More Chomper and it would've been perfect.

Slinky Malinki
Slinky Malinki
by Lynley Dodd
35 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Slinky Malinki is AWESOME!!!, August 26, 2006
This review is from: Slinky Malinki (Paperback)
I'm 18 and a freshman in college and I was read this book all the time when I was a kid. I still love it. After a discussion about children's books, I remembered how much I'd loved this particular book and came to Amazon to buy a copy.

The SLJ review made me sad. I read all the time as a young child. I was a strong reader before even starting kindergarten and spent at least six days of the week at the library. I can't remember the huge majority of books I've read, but this one stands out to me. I adored this book as a child and it made enough of an impression on me to come looking for it 14 years later.

Persuasion (Modern Library Classics)
Persuasion (Modern Library Classics)
by Jane Austen
Price: $7.00
137 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Persuasion, September 29, 2003
Persuasion is a very good book. It's slower than the contemporary novel, which is to be expected (it is nearly 200 years old, after all). Like all of Austen's other novels, it is of course a social commentary. It's a story of delayed love and patience. It's been called her 'most romantic.' The idea of the old love, Captain Wentworth, coming back after years apart and both parties still being in love IS very romantic, but I disagree with it being her most romantic. It's a very sweet story, and also pretty straightforward. It was a lot of fun to read, and a good story.

Sony D-NE710 ATRAC3/MP3 CD Walkman Portable Disc Player
Sony D-NE710 ATRAC3/MP3 CD Walkman Portable Disc Player
3 used & new from $44.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, July 9, 2003
I'm very picky when it comes to CD players. I had my previous walkman for three and a half years. But I wanted an MP3/CD player combo. I researched and researched and I decided on this model.
I fell in love with it. It has great features. It's simple enough not to be confusing, but it does do quite a bit. The sound quality is good. It has a special bass feature, which is outstanding. It has a shuffle feature, which is very important to me. Using the software it comes with, you can burn up to 490 songs on a single CD-R. When you do that, the quality isn't as high. However, if you were in the car on a long trip, it would hardly matter (if you want a car kit with it, check out the Sony D-NE718CK; it's the same exact player only with a cool car kit, and it's $20 more). Battery life is spectacular, even on two plain AA batteries. It's just an amazing player.
I have hardly anything at all to complain about. The headphones have great sound quality, but they hurt my hears when I keep them on too long. I think that has more to do with the shape of my head. They're a bit low on padding, though. Also, my old CD player had a button in the middle (where the hole of the CD goes over) that you could press and the CD would pop up. The Sony doesn't have it. Okay, yes, it's not really a complaint, I'm just sad that I can't amuse myself by pressing the button over and over again.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Faramir, Captain of Gondor, February 27, 2003
I'm a Faramir fan, so of course I had to have the action figure.
As most of the LOTR action figures, he is well thought out and made very nicely.
He comes with a sword, a bow, and some arrows. You can't take the sword out of his hand like you can with some of the other figures, but I don't think that's really a problem. His bow big--about as tall as he is. The arrows that fit nicely in his quiver can actually be fired from the bow. It's great fun, but be careful. They go a long way and are hard to find (I spent ten minutes looking for one, which I found, thankfully).
The Prince of Ithilien comes clothed in his cloak, his Gondorian vest and tunic, brown pants, and wonderful laceup boots.
The only thing I can think to complain about are that his arms don't move around enough.

Artemis Fowl
Artemis Fowl
by Andrew Donkin
Price: $15.55
292 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, August 1, 2002
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Hardcover)
This is a book about a young criminal mastermind and his plot to restore a family fortune. He finds out about the fairies that live underground, even though humans aren't supposed to know anything about them. Artemis's plan is to kidnap a LEPrecon officer to get ransom money. And he does just that. But he gets more than he expected, having underestimated the People.
This is a really fun book to read, and I recommend it. It's not like the Harry Potter books. It envolves magic, sure, but it's a different kind of magic, and it's a different world.