Profile for Polymath-In-Training > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 49

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Polymath-In-Training RSS Feed (Olive Branch, MS United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Master The Kettlebell: How To Develop High-Level Skills In Movement, Power Generation And Strength--Using The World's Single Best Tool For The Job
Price: $9.95

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted this book to be good, September 11, 2014
It started off well, but after the first two chapters, it seemed like the author lost interest. Except for a few exercises,the instruction lacked enough detail. The book was incomplete, in general. For example, It kept referring to the upcoming instruction on the kettlebell arm bar in the Exercise chapter, but I never saw it.
Even at $9.95, this book was overpriced. I'd send it back if it were a physical book, and I rarely do that. The author seems to have good knowledge, and I think he can do better than this.
Buy Jeff Martone's Kettlebell Rx instead.

ClassicReader Three-pair Valu-Pac, 1.50
ClassicReader Three-pair Valu-Pac, 1.50
Price: $7.86
3 used & new from $7.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Just ordered 6 more, May 14, 2012
I've been using these for over a year now. They are light-weight, not ugly, and mine have been sturdy. I'm ordering 6 more because I lost one and the dog chewed up another one. Also, I'm ordering 6 more because they are very inexpensive. They've lasted much better than some of the name brand $20-25 glasses with wire rims that I've bought over the last few years. The pair I use at work have undergone constant use and are still in perfect shape.

Soundfreaq SFQ-01 Sound Platform Bluetooth Wireless Speaker (Black)
Soundfreaq SFQ-01 Sound Platform Bluetooth Wireless Speaker (Black)
2 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid sound, good value, March 24, 2012
I decided to wait until I'd had this a few months before commenting. Now I can say that it works great. I use it with both my iPad using bluetooth and my computer using bluetooth. My son uses it with his iPhone.

I can easily move the SoundFreaq unit from room to room and even to the garage. No, the sound is not as good as my 2 huge 35 year-old Advent speakers. But it's better than anything else I own. The sound is surprisingly full from such a small, light unit. And it's way easier to move than those 2 big Advents hooked up to a stereo.

I contacted the company once for support, and they were very responsive. The problem I was having was not with their unit.

I have no CONS to list for this product. I am happy with the SoundFreaq.

Steve Cotter - Encyclopedia of Kettlebell Lifting Series 1 - DVD
Steve Cotter - Encyclopedia of Kettlebell Lifting Series 1 - DVD
DVD ~ Steve Cotter
Offered by World Martial Arts
Price: $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Pricey. And worth it., July 24, 2011
Cotter provides every detail of every segment of every lift from every angle. When first viewing DVD #1, this seemed tedious. When I actually tried to do the lifts, I went back and viewed the DVD again, and I greatly appreciated his detailed explanations.

This is not a workout DVD. This is a set of DVDs that demonstrate and explain dozens of lifts. However, Cotter does program numerous workout programs for you, from beginner to advanced, and even specialty programs for football. I counted 16 separate programs. These are listed in a brief pamphlet included in the DVD case.

If you've not been trained by a qualified instructor on kettlebell use, you will really appreciate these videos. And they will probably be all you need, except for a quality set of kettlebells, of course.

Proofs and Fundamentals: A First Course in Abstract Mathematics
Proofs and Fundamentals: A First Course in Abstract Mathematics
by Ethan D. Bloch
13 used & new from $107.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Best "proofs" book, November 23, 2010
I own a few proofs/transitions books. I have worked through Bloch's Proofs and Fundamentals (the first edition) and the book by Daniel Solow. Bloch has written the best and clearest book for self-study of proofs. The back of the book has over 20 useful pages of Hints for Selected Exercises. For those reviewers who think Bloch is too wordy, perhaps he is if you already have an instructor in a class explaining everything to you. But if you are on your own, trying to learn by working through a book, Bloch's explanations are just right.

EXF Rings - Crossfit Gymnastics Fitness Training
EXF Rings - Crossfit Gymnastics Fitness Training
Offered by BIGFLYSPORTS
Price: $72.48
6 used & new from $61.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, great product, February 3, 2010
I've been working out (mostly weightlifting) for 4 decades. This is a product that is definitely worth having. There is nothing else that can duplicate the unique benefits of working out with rings. When I started, I could not even hold myself up without shaking all over. 7 weeks later, I can do repetition leg raises and the rings barely move. At a typical dip station, I can do dips with weight attached to me; on the rings, I had to work up to doing a single dip. By using rings for dips and pushups, I've added weight to my bench press. By doing body rows on rings, I've increased my pullup reps significanly (and I'm in my 50's, 6'4" and 220#, so I'm not exactly built for doing lots of pullups.)

I recommend this product unreservedly. Go to [...] for more info.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2010 1:06 PM PDT

Shelter
Shelter
Offered by Ourspecialgift
Price: $14.95
45 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Bolton?, January 1, 2010
This review is from: Shelter (Audio CD)
Warren Hill is the Michael Bolton of smooth jazz; listen to a few of Hill's songs and you'll know what I mean. I'll let you decide if that's good or bad.

The screeching sax during the endless "nah-nah-nah"'s of Hey Jude: it doesn't get much worse than this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2011 12:48 PM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars One exercise "gadget" that works, December 31, 2009
I'm not one to waste money on the exercise gadgets you see on TV everyday. For 4 decades, I've been pretty much a barbell and power rack kind of guy. But this Power Wheel from Lifeline is the real deal. I've done just about every ab exercise there is (and there are a few good ones), but the Power Wheel provides the best ab workout I've ever had. And it does it without hurting the lower back, neck, etc. Don't overlook the fact that this works more than the abs; it provides a good hamstring workout, too.

This is a quality product, and the big wheel works on concrete, wood, carpet, and even grass. I recommend the Power Wheel without reservation.

An Old Testament Theology: An Exegetical, Canonical, and Thematic Approach
An Old Testament Theology: An Exegetical, Canonical, and Thematic Approach
by Bruce K. Waltke
Price: $28.58
28 used & new from $19.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, September 20, 2009
I have used this book, among others, in three Old Testament seminary courses in the last year. This book was by far the most valuable for all of those courses. In fact, among the approximately 60 books I own on the OT, this is the single most useful.

Waltke's book is thorough in its coverage of many aspects of the OT: the surrounding ancient near eastern (ANE) cultures and religions and literatures, interesting and relevant details of the history, insight into the OT text itself and the ancient Semitic languages, and excellent overviews of each of the OT books. Waltke's organization of the OT around the backbone of the "Primary History" is worth the price of admission. The Primary History has really helped me in organizing the OT books in my mind as I read them.

Be sure to not skip Part One, Introduction. Waltke gives you valuable tools here, such as application of literary analysis, for understanding the OT text.

Dr. Waltke's view of the hope and beauty of God's promises and God's word shines through on every page, including the chapter titles.

Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar - Extreme Edition
Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar - Extreme Edition
Offered by ACTIONPRO
Price: $33.54
15 used & new from $21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars surprisingly good, June 9, 2009
I've been lifting weights for 4 decades and have a top-quality home gym in the garage (power rack, bench, squat machine, 2 olympics sets, etc). I bought this product recently for my wife to do the P90X program. Now I'm using it for most of my pullups. The five different hand positions allow me to do exercises that the single straight bar on my power rack does not. And this pullup bar is quite sturdy (I weight 220 pounds) and easy to put up and take down.

Definitely buy the Extreme version, not the original Iron Gym. That one extra attachment is very handy, especially if you're tall.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5