Profile for Target Shopaholic > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 214

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Target Shopaholic RSS Feed (SF, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Secret Maps of the Ancient World
Secret Maps of the Ancient World
by Charlotte Harris Rees
42 used & new from $12.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Way before Coulmbus and way before Zheng He, September 20, 2013
Since the book is titled Secrets Maps of the Ancient World, one would expect to find lots of pictures of the Hendon Harris maps themselves in full color and detail. That, however, is not the case. What few pictures there are of the maps are in black and white and are small in size. Unless you're a historical cartographer who can read Chinese, then you won't know if the maps are overwhelming evidence.

Nevertheless, this is a fascinating book which does compile every bit of evidence out there that the Chinese and other Asians had been coming to and settling in the Americas for thousands of years prior to Columbus and prior to Zheng He. Maps by themselves are often subject to interpretation, but it is very hard to argue against the preponderance of circumstantial evidence from several different fields of study: cartography, ancient texts, common cultural practices, out of place artifacts, architecture, agriculture, maritime technology, cultural motifs, oceanography, microbiology and genetics.

In fact, Rees compiles so much evidence that the book really becomes more of a laundry list of evidence rather than a critical analysis. This book provides overwhelming evidence that the ancient Chinese and other Asians explored and settled the Americas for thousands of years, long before Columbus.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars For Galaxy Note, not Galaxy Player, January 21, 2013
Length:: 1:31 Mins

Continuing with my challenge of finding an armband that fits the 5.0 Galaxy Player, I decided to give this a try since it clearly states that it's for the 5.0 Galaxy Player. When I opened up my package, I discovered a label clearly stating that it's for the Galaxy NOTE!! Are you kidding me?! As you can see in my short video, although the player itself fits into the armband, there is no hole for the earphones (as another reviewer stated). This is not for the Galaxy Player!! It's simply a waste of everyone's time to sell mislabeled products. As a consumer, I don't appreciate having my time wasted. I suppose if you were desperate, you could cut a bigger hole for the earjack...

Arkon Sports Running Jogging Neoprene Armband for iPhone 5S 5C and Smartphones up to 4.3" Screen Size
Price: $15.18
31 used & new from $6.55

2.0 out of 5 stars Description is not accurate, January 13, 2013
Length:: 0:39 Mins

Don't even think about getting this for your Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0! I'm having a hard time finding ANY armband that will fit the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 so when I saw this with the listed dimensions as 7x6x2, I thought maybe this might work. But when the product arrived, it clearly states that it fits devices 3.3 x 5.1! Wouldn't it have been easier on everyone if this was listed clearly in the product description??! As you can see in my short video, the player 5.0 doesn't even come close to being able to fit. I will say that the band itself seems to be made of good stretchy & durable material and will probably accommodate an arm width up to 22 inches so for that reason, I am giving it a generous 2 stars.

Nioxin Scalp Therapy,Conditioner, System 3 (Fine/Treated/Normal to Thin-Looking), 33.8 Ounce
Offered by TOKTOK
Price: $16.00
35 used & new from $12.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Nioxin has been reformulated, January 13, 2013
Length:: 1:21 Mins

There have been some recent reviews questioning the authenticity of the latest shipments of Nioxin Scalp Therapy System. Having used Nioxin for about a year now, I was surprised when my latest bottle arrived from Amazon because it looked distinctly different. At first I thought the label must've just been redesigned but then I read some reviews questioning whether they received an imitation so I did a little investigation. This video shows a clear difference between my old bottle and the new replacement. It did seem odd that this product is now made in Mexico and that the ingredients were very different. I called both 1-800 numbers listed on the different bottles (yes, the 1-800 numbers were also different) but they actually go to the same Nioxin line. I also tried to look up information on Nioxin's website. They are depicting all bottles with the black cap, which is the new reformulated line. There's a chat feature available but there were no available representative at the time I tried to chat online so I couldn't get a confirmation of whether or not Nioxin has in fact been reformulated. But from what I can tell, it probably has been. I also noticed that the new bottle no longer states that they do not test on animals so if you're conscientious about that, do take note. I think Amazon should update their picture of the product so that people don't get confused. So far, I've not had any problems using this so I will give this new reformulated product 4 stars.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2013 8:38 AM PDT

Strength and Physique: High Tension Exercises for Muscular Growth
Strength and Physique: High Tension Exercises for Muscular Growth
by James K. Chan
Price: $22.49
20 used & new from $18.98

5.0 out of 5 stars His best book yet!, December 3, 2012
I have every one of this guy's books, and I can say that this is definitely his best one. What marks this book different from his previous books is that this volume has numerous exercise photos, so you're shown how to do these exercises. If you're interested not just in building muscle, but building a physique similar to that of a gymnast's (wide shoulders, lean muscular arms, ripped abs) then this book is a must have. The author showcases a wide variety of exercises that build muscle from a variety of angles. I learned quite a few new exercises which I had never seen before. I tried some of these exercises in the gym, and they definitely gave me an incredible pump.

The author also introduces some interesting training concepts in this book. He shows you how to pair up and group exercises together so that you can extend the tension on a muscle so that it grows. He also talks about a concept called pivot point training, and shows you a diagram of muscles to target that will give you the muscular V-taper look. The author also lays out the best rep ranges for each muscle group, as each muscle is made up of different fiber types.

A great book for the exercise enthusiast who wants that extra edge.

Strength and Physique
Strength and Physique
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ask a specific question and you get a specific answer, November 27, 2012
This is a blog by a cop who also happens to be a trainer and author. The guy James gives a no nonsense approach to bodybuilding and strength training. He answers reader mail on exercise and diet, but the quality of his answers is dependent on the quality of the questions being asked by the readers. So if you ask a very general question then he'll give you a general answer. Ask him a specific question, one where it shows you've done some homework and actually read his books and blog posts, and he'll inundate with a crap load of information that you never knew before.

James can be a bit cantankerous at times, but I think it's because people keep asking him the same basic questions all the time without realizing he's answered the questions many times over.

Great blog, but what you get out of it is you put into it.

Alpha Asian
Alpha Asian
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Blog for the Asian American man, November 27, 2012
This review is from: Alpha Asian (Kindle Edition)
There are a lot of Asian American blogs, but this is the only blog for the Asian American man. The blogger James posts a lot of interesting videos on Asian Americans, but I tend to like his writings more. Unfortunately, he doesn't write as much as he posts videos. James writes on a lot of different topics, everything ranging from positive psychology, dating and the Asian male, and how to be an "Alpha Asian." Once in a while he comes out with a podcast and interviews an Alpha Asian like former Army Special Forces officer Chester Wong. Overall this is a great blog specific to the Asian American male.

Power Wheels Dora The Explorer Lil' Quad
Power Wheels Dora The Explorer Lil' Quad
Price: $79.00
27 used & new from $64.78

3.0 out of 5 stars Luxury item, September 1, 2012
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
Length:: 0:26 Mins

After reading these reviews, it looks like we're a little late in buying this for our 2.5 year old daughter. She's too big for foot powered ride-ons but not quite coordinated enough for a trike. Her feet also don't quite reach regular bike pedals so when we came across this at a Fisher-Price event, it was a hit and we decided to order it from Amazon. Price has definitely gone up since the last time I checked on one of these powerwheel cars!

So the verdict? This is definitely a luxury item. At 2.5 years old, my daughter will definitely outgrow this quickly. The vehile doesn't seem to travel very fast -- imagine going at a leisurely walking pace as if you're window shopping. Car is made completely of plastic, including the wheels so on grassy areas, it seems to go even slower. I wish the car had some sort of small compartment to store snacks or drinks. And a horn somewhere would be nice! The one thing I like about using this car is being able to teach my child how to steer. I think it's quite complicated for a little one to learn how to steer while learning how to pedal at the same time so with this car, we get to tackle steering first. I would probably recommend this for a child's 2nd bday. But do note that your initial charge will take about 24hours so plan ahead!

Yellow Green Beret: Stories of an Asian-American Stumbling Around U.S. Army Special Forces
by Chester Wong
Price: $10.65
23 used & new from $9.92

5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining and thoughtful look at Army Special Forces and the military, December 9, 2011
Chester Wong is a true Alpha Asian, in every sense of the word. Chester served as an Army Special Forces officer. He served in 4 combat tours in Iraq and the Philippines, working extensively throughout Southeast Asia and the Middle East in special ops missions. He received several medals for his accomplishments, including 2 Bronze Stars.

Chester decided to write a book about his experiences, all the way from his time at Westpoint in 1997 to the Iraq War in 2009. It's a compilation of 23 episodes from his military life, some of them quite humorous, some of them profound life lessons. All of the stories provide the reader with an inside look at Army Special Forces Operations and the intense training that's involved. You learn a lot about the war in Iraq, hazing at Westpoint, sniper school and scenario based training

And yet, this guy doesn't take himself too seriously. He doesn't come off as a super soldier devoid of fear and weakness. As a Green Beret, he is (as he puts it) "an average dude in a special group of people." And this makes him much more relatable.

This and the fact that he is Asian American who grew up in the Bay Area. His stories are about life in the military (not about Asian American issues) but you get his Asian American perspective framing the stories, nonetheless.

This is a great book, and I highly recommend it. Each story sucks you into a world that very few of us in the civilian world know about. You'll be entertained and educated regardless of whether you have an interest in military operations.

Hello Kitty Kid Sized Umbrella
Hello Kitty Kid Sized Umbrella
Offered by OrangeOnions
Price: $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Mine arrived bent, December 8, 2011
Somehow my umbrella arrived bent. Have no idea how it happened b/c the box arrived in good condition. Only thing I can think of is that they stored these at the warehouse w/a bunch of heavy stuff piled on top of the umbrella. It arrived with the stem bent which made it slightly harder to open & close. This is not a toy by the way. It's an actual umbrella. I bought it for my 2 year old but she couldn't hold it up for a long time. Not sure if she's just weak or what so we're gonna stick w/raincoats for now. Sent this back and got a refund w/no problems.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20