Profile for Andy in Washington > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 377

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Andy in Washington "Andy" RSS Feed (The Evergreen State)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mob Cop: My Life of Crime in the Chicago Police Department
Mob Cop: My Life of Crime in the Chicago Police Department
by Fred Pascente
Price: $19.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Life In Chicago, May 22, 2015
“Chicago was a right town then. The fix was in. The dicks took their end without a beef”.
-Henry Gandorff, “The Sting”

“Mob Cop” is the story of Fred Pascente, a Chicago police officer and detective for two decades-and exactly the type of person Henry Gandorff was talking about. Pascente is, by most any definition of the term, a dishonest cop. This book, co-written with Sam Reeves, is Pascente’s story.

=== The Good Stuff ===

* Pascente is nothing if not honest with his readers. He freely admits to any number of scams, cons, shakedowns, robberies, and numerous other felonies, and there is a minimum of rationalization, justification or convoluted reasoning. Mostly he just admits to being a plain old crook, out to get his piece of the pie.

* While I have no doubt that the publisher, and their lawyers, went over the manuscript very carefully, there are quite a number of names discussed, along with their misdeeds. It is hard not to get the impression that there were no honest Chicago cops at all.

* The tale is told in simple language and is quite readable. (Almost. See below). Reeves did a nice job of keeping the feel and voice of Pascente throughout the work, and the language and idioms used give a real “street flavor” to the book.

* While crooked cops usually do not keep copious notes to donate to their college libraries, the book does come across as reasonably well researched-or at least as anything having to do with Chicago criminals could be. It ties in well with other books I have read on the subject, and stands the test of “reasonableness”.

* No matter what your personal opinions of Detective Pascente might be, you certainly end the book with a reasonable portrait of the man, his motivations, values and lifestyle.

=== The Not-So-Good Stuff ===

* Much of the book’s dialog is in the “Chicago Street Vernacular.” It is not always clear what is going on, as the language is, by design, obtuse and open to misinterpretation. I appreciate Reeves’ efforts in keeping the original flavor, but a little more translation would have helped.

* In most “true crime” books I have read, the criminal at least generates some sympathy with the reader. In this case, it did not. More than anything, I wanted to reach through the pages and slap the guy.

* There were a number of named characters, and between the fuzzy language and Pascente’s own non-calibrated moral compass, it was tough to separate the good guys from the bad guys. That said, I am not sure there were any good guys.

=== Summary ===

The book wasn’t quite as much fun as I expected, and was really somewhat sad and frightening. I always knew Chicago was not Walden Pond, but never suspected as bad as this book makes it seem. Hopefully reality is somewhere in the middle.

Still, I would recommend it for true-crime fans, as well as anyone interested in how things really worked in the City of Chicago.

=== Disclaimer ===

I was able to read an advance copy through the courtesy of the publisher and Netgalley.

Linksys WRT 8-Port Gigabit Switch, Works with Linksys WRT1900AC Wi-Fi Router (SE4008-FFP)
Price: $54.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Performer, With A Couple Potential Issues, May 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been upgrading my network to Gigabit, and this switch took over the last branch that was still 100M. My main router is a TP-Link Archer C9, so I did not check out the integration features of this switch with Linksys routers. However, they two seemed to get along quite well.

=== The Good Stuff ===

* Opened the box, plugged it in, swapped out the cables, and presto. Little lights flashing, things connecting, no drama. To me that is 95% of what I expect from a switch. Based on that criteria, the product is a success.

* I don't have the means to easily test speed of my network, but my informal test suite consists of timing large file transfers. For traffic that was handled by this switch, speeds were comparable to those handled directly by the router, and roughly in line with what you would expect from GB ethernet. To be honest, in just about all cases, the throughput limitations of devices on either end are the limiting factor. All my cabling and connectors are CAT-6.

* The port shutdown seemed to work as expected, and plugging an active device back into the port turned it on quicker than I could issue a command that required the port to do something.

* The switch has been up for a week, with no drama or hiccups.

=== The Not-So-Good Stuff ===

* I was not impressed with the QoS features. They can not be configured, and are not especially well documented. Since I have QoS set up on the router, I have no idea what happens if the priorities between the router and the switch are not quite identical. Fortunately for my setup, QoS is more of a "hobby" than a serious need, so not really all that important to me anyway. For all I know, the configuration of QoS makes no difference to my use patterns.

* The whole unit seems about twice the size it needs to be. My network stuff has its own little closet, so not a great big deal to me. But you might want to consider the units size is space is at a premium.

* One of two of the connectors seemed a bit loose in the jacks, although there was no problems with staying connected. Hopefully that will last. Also the case seems somewhat cheap and crudely put together. Again, for my application this stuff lives in a closet, so I really don't care. But since the looks of this are designed to match the Linksys routers, I would assume the target is for customers that like to show off their equipment.

=== Summary ===

* I use this as a dumb switch to manage traffic on a portion of my network. Most of the traffic on that portion consists of Sonos music traffic and printers, so not a whole lot of bandwidth. The switch has worked flawlessly so far, and took almost zero effort to set up and install. There are a couple of gotchas, but none of them were a big deal for me.

La Cuisine LC 5205 Cast Iron Casserole with Cream Interior, 6.5 quart, Ruby
La Cuisine LC 5205 Cast Iron Casserole with Cream Interior, 6.5 quart, Ruby
Price: $199.99
4 used & new from $199.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Piece of Cast Iron Cookware, May 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Some things are classic, and with good reason. Cast iron cookware is one of them. This is an modern version of a very traditional design, and if you like cast-iron cookware, you will like this casserole.

=== The Good Stuff ===

* The pot is heavy-well over 14 pounds, and that is before you put any food in it. The more weight, the more thermal mass a pot has-which has its good and bad points. A quick estimate was that if you place this pan in a 350 degree oven, it takes about 20 minutes for the inside of the pot to reach its final temperature. On the other side, you can take it out of the oven, and it will stay at full temperature for some period of time-depending on the contents. Make sure you factor this into your cooking.

The other advantage of a high thermal mass is that the pot will not change temperature quickly, even if you oven does. If you own a state-of-the-art oven like I do, where state-of-the-art does not include accurate temperature control, you will appreciate this feature.

* I tried it out by making a pot of baked beans, something that just seems to taste better in a traditional cast-iron pot. They cooked beautifully, and with no hot spots in the pot, only required an occasional stirring.

* Clean-up was, well, not exactly a breeze, but manageable. The coating seems like a very traditional enamel. I doubt it will chip or wear out easily, but it is not a high-tech, non-stick coating. The bubbly mess from the beans took an hour or so of soaking, and then a minute of so with a sponge. Personally, I would rather spend an extra minute cleaning a pot than dealing with a fancy coating that lasts for two weeks.

* The whole thing is sturdy. The handles don't look as if they will ever become loose or detached, and the lid fits snugly and stays on when you move the casserole.

=== The Not-So-Good Stuff ===

* I would think before buying this casserole for anyone who has trouble lifting any sort of weight. I'd estimate that my casserole full of beans weighed well over 20 pounds, perhaps not something your grandmother could easily lift.

* I was not enamored with the color-it is sort of a dark and dingy red. My kitchen is stainless steel, black and oak, and you'd be hard pressed to find a worse match. Not really a big deal for me-pots are not a decorator item in my kitchen. It is certainly nice enough to put on my dinner table.

=== Summary ===

If you like heavy, cast iron cookware, you will like this casserole Cast iron has some nice advantages, but also some things to watch out for, so know what you are getting in for. Because it doesn't have any fancy coatings, I expect this pot to last a long time-probably will outlive me.

John Deere Original Equipment Filler Cap #UP04708
John Deere Original Equipment Filler Cap #UP04708
Offered by Hartville Tool
Price: $18.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great- Solved the Leak Problem, May 10, 2015
The fuel cap on my John Deere S1400 weed eater (I believe they are made by Homelite) was leaking, and I blamed the cork gasket inside the cap. After several attempts to replace the cork gasket (with cork, leather and even rubber gaskets), it finally downed on me that maybe it wasn't the gasket, but the cap itself. I had always balked because of the price, but green paint is expensive.

The new cap solved the leaks instantly. Not quite sure what sort of hocus-pocus goes on between the gas tank and the cap, but there is more going on than was obvious.

DEWALT DW734 15 Amp 12-1/2-Inch Benchtop Planer
DEWALT DW734 15 Amp 12-1/2-Inch Benchtop Planer
Offered by Acme Tools
Price: $399.00
14 used & new from $348.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Performer, May 10, 2015
I have been using this planer for about 3 months, and am still happy with it. A couple things could be better, but for the most part it has been one of those tools that you can rely on to do what it is supposed to.

=== The Good Stuff ===

* My planer is permanently mounted to a work table with four mounting bolts. These are not included-but they would never guess the right length anyway, so not a big deal. The planer is heavy, the instructions say 80 LBS, but it seemed lighter than that, so you may need a second person to help lift it into place.

* Within an hour of opening the box (and most of that time was spent reading the manual thoroughly), I was planing cedar. The tables seemed perfectly adjusted out of the box, and I got very smooth finishes with no snipe at all. Operation is relatively simple and mostly intuitive.

* Most of my planing is oak-typically resurfacing oak that I have reclaimed from old furniture or cabinets (much cheaper to buy oak at a thrift store than a lumberyard). It does an excellent job on oak, although you will occasionally get some slight snipe at the ends of previously finished lumber.

* I do not have a dust collection system, but my large shop vac attached to the rear port does a very nice job on dust and shavings. I do get a little dust, but very minimal amounts, and most of that is probably blow-by from the hose connectors. If I wasn't so lazy, a more permanent "clamped" connection would work better. I do use a respirator when planing old pre-finished wood- there is no telling what is in the finishes.

* After planing about 1200 lf of oak, mostly 5-7" wide, the blades started showing signs of dullness. Cuts were still clean, just not as smooth as they used to be. Swapping the knives turned out to be about a 20 minute project the first time, although I am sure it will be about half that next time. (Careful, real easy to cut yourself).

I also added a "lap counter" to the side of the table- the kind track coaches use to count laps. They are about $5, and I use them to track how much wood goes across the planer. One click = 10'. Not 100% accurate, but good for monitoring blade use.

* The small gauge to estimate the amount of material to be removed works great! I have found with planing oak that two or three very small passes (1/32 or so) works about the best, although you can sneak by with a 1/16 then a 1/32 without much difference.

* I seldom plane anything longer than 8', and so far have not felt the need to purchase or build any extension feed tables.

=== The Not-So-Good Stuff ===

* The height gauge is a bit inexact for my needs. I added a Wixey 850 to the planer, and love it. This should have been a part of the planer to start with.

* There is a "hard stop" for common thicknesses. I use the 3/4" one quite a bit, but I find it to be a little unrepeatable (+/- 0.08 or so.. Not a major deal, but occasionally enough to be annoying.. The problem is that while the stop is fixed, you have to rely on "feel" to determine how tight to crank down on the head adjustment against the stop. The Wixey has been repeatable to 0.02 or so.

* I wish the in and outfeed trays would fold up. They stick out over the front and rear of my work bench, and I hate having tools get bumped.

* The on/off switch is easy to use, provided you are standing in the front of the unit. However at about the half-way point in any planing, you are now standing at the back of the unit, and there is no way to get to the switch quickly in an emergency. As with all my tools, I added "panic buttons to the tables, and in this case, added on front and rear.

=== Summary ===

While there are some parts of this tool that I wasn't totally thrilled with, they were relatively easy to correct, and the planer is now a trusted and often-used part of my shop. So far it has been used for roughly 75% red oak, 15% cedar and 10% poplar, and has performed well on all of these. I have trued-up some cupped wood without much trouble, although the cups were relatively slight-maybe 1/8 or so.

KOHLER 24 883 03-S1 Engine Air Filter With Pre-Cleaner Kit For PRO CV18 - CV25, CV675 - CV740, CH18 - CH25, CH730 - CH750
Price: $14.96
13 used & new from $10.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on Kohler CV-25 with no problems, May 10, 2015
Fits perfectly on my Scotts 2348 tractor, with a Kohler CV-25 V-Twin engine.

Char-Broil Hose and Regulator
Char-Broil Hose and Regulator
Offered by 247Grills
Price: $19.99
5 used & new from $15.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked OK, after a little plumbing, May 10, 2015
One thing I have learned over the years of owning a gas grill is that there are no such things as interchangeable parts. Offhand, I would say that there are roughly 2 billion possible configurations of Char-Broil grills, and the odds of any one part working on yours are about 50/50.

=== The Good Stuff ===

* After replacing the original regulator (about 10 years old) with this product, my grill now works as good as new (with the yearly burner replacement installed). The old regulator would no longer respond to the "reset trick", so obviously time for a new one.

* The hose was actually a little bit longer than the original, (see below), so the install went fine.

* I have been using it for a couple weeks now, and it has worked great. No signs of any leaks (I use shaving cream to check-easier than soapy water).

=== The Not-So-Good Stuff ===

* My grill has the older style "crimp-on" connectors. That meant there is no easy way to install this regulator-and the instructions say there is no possible way.

* A quick trip to my neighborhood hardware store solved the problem. The old hose was still good, so I didn't touch the crimped on connector- instead I cut the old regulator off the hose, and added another brass female connector, along with a brass male/male nipple. Total cost- about $10 including pipe dope, and works great. Note that if you go this route, you need to use teflon tape (or pipe dope) specifically made for gas connection. It is usually colored yellow. The familiar "white tape" is not approved for gas piping.

=== Summary ===

It took a little "field modification", but the new regulator works fine. I had to add connectors to my existing setup, which took about 10 minutes and $10.

Ortho 489110 Deer B Gon Deer and Rabbit Repellent Ready-To-Use Spray, 1-Gallon
Ortho 489110 Deer B Gon Deer and Rabbit Repellent Ready-To-Use Spray, 1-Gallon
Price: $23.91
7 used & new from $18.71

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, but deer are persistent, May 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I live in an area of Washington state that has a large population of deer, and it is a constant battle to keep them from devouring plants. There are green plants available all year, so it is not like they are starving...but given the choice between grass and rose bushes, the deer have a definite preference.

I have tried a number of products over the years, and they all seem to have one thing in common. They work well for the first couple months, but the deer seem to become desensitized to them, and the products lose effectiveness. The only way I have found to protect roses, their favorites, is to constantly change sprays to keep them off balance. (These deer will get within five feet of humans, so they don't scare easy).

This product seems to work, at least for the first few weeks. However, it is spring, and there are plenty of tender shoots, so deer are not too hard to discourage at this time of year. The few plants I have sprayed have had no deer damage. You can either attribute that to this product or just luck, but I honestly believe it works. When there are fresh grape-vine leaves around, it doesn't take much to send them on their way.

I am honestly not a big fan of the sprayer-just seems too cute. I honestly prefer bulk chemicals which I then use in a small hand sprayer- I have a two quart sprayer that only gets used for deer repellent, so don't have to clean it all the time. This sprayer works OK, but just seems a bit inconvenient in that you need two hands to use it, and a third hand to carry the bottle.

The smell isn't too bad- I certainly have used repellents that smell a lot worse. And there seems to be no real correlation between bad smell and effectiveness. If deer are hungry, and are somewhat used to the smell, NOTHING deters them. It is just the price to pay for living in their home.

I never use repellents on or near anything that is human food. But I have sprayed it on surrounding posts and garden props, and it seems to have nearly the same effectiveness. I also have several willow shrubs planted in part of my yard- they grow like weeds and deer love them-at least until the apple trees start dropping fruit!

So I'd have to say the product works-at least as well as any other repellent. I believe that you can't really "repel" deer, the best you can do is sort of learn to live with them. In my case, that involves switching repellents every month or so, planting some deer food, pruning trees (our deer are relatively small), and just writing off a portion of the garden to deer loss.

We do have a Greyhound, so rabbits tend to live elsewhere.

The Ingenious Mr. Pyke: Inventor, Fugitive, Spy
The Ingenious Mr. Pyke: Inventor, Fugitive, Spy
by Henry Hemming
Price: $18.38
44 used & new from $13.62

4.0 out of 5 stars A Well Done Look at an Interesting Character, May 5, 2015
I had a number of problems with this book, but in the end, I have to admit that I enjoyed it. The book is a limited biography of Georey Pyke, who is certainly one of history’s more colorful characters. Based on what parts of the book you choose to emphasize, Mr. Pike is either a true visionary, crackpot, British patriot, Russian spy, spoiled child, hopeless romantic or manic depressive. And quite honestly, he may be (and is quite likely) most, if not all, of those.

=== The Good Stuff ===

* I won’t give away much of the story line-since the fun of reading the book is just letting the various aspects of Mr. Pyke’s life hit you cold. Suffice it to say that the man was certainly capable of looking at problems from a slightly cockeyed angle and proposing solutions based on those looks. I couldn’t help but draw the analogy of Albert Einstein grasping relativity while imagining what happened to light waves while riding on a city bus.

*Pyke certainly had some strange character traits, but was able to talk his way into various high level meetings with senior British and American military and government leaders. While the details are somewhat sparse, it was certainly fun to imagine 3-star Generals sitting down and discussing war technology with the 1940’s equivalent of Doc Brown from “Back to the Future”.

* While many of Pyke’s innovations seem to fall in that grey area between brilliant and crackpot, there is no question that there were elements of genius in them. While they may not have ultimately been successful, at least in the timeframe they were conceived, I don’t doubt for a minute that Mr. Pyke was an important contributor to many innovations. If nothing else, just to fight off his ideas, the “establishment” had to examine many problems in a different light.

=== The Not-So-Good Stuff ===

* I have two major issues with the book. The first is that the author, Henry Hemming, seems to genuinely admire Mr. Pyke. This is always dangerous for a biographer, and is troublesome in this work. For example, much is made of Mr. Pyke’s unique way of analyzing problems by “rephrasing the question”. While it is a valuable technique, it is certainly not unique to Mr. Pyke.

Similarly, Mr. Hemming seems to support Mr. Pyke’s charges that his innovation was held up because of a group of people blind to innovation. For example, during the Battle of the Atlantic, Mr. tike proposes some radical new building materials for ships. While his science may have been plausible, by this time the infrastructure of the United States was well on its way to producing large quantities of steel and a number of traditional shipyards. To stop that effort and commit to a promising, but still unproven technology, was simply not feasible.

* Second, there were always questions regarding Mr. Pyke’s loyalties. Clearly he wanted Britain to triumph over Nazi Germany, but he was most definitely a socialist and potentially an agent of the communist party and of the USSR. This theme is built upon extensively throughout the book, and figures in the plot extensively.

And yet the book ends with scarcely a few paragraphs which reveal the official British counter-intelligence thinking on the subject, and offer a few bits of rather weak supporting data. As a reader, I felt I was owed a more thorough explanation and justification of what Mr. Pyke’s true motives and sympathies were.

=== Summary ===

The book was an “almost fun” read, but could get a bit tedious. Certainly the antics of Mr. Pyke were capable of providing both serious thought and amusement, but much of this burden was placed on the reader. I believe the author was enamored with Mr. Pyke, and gave him credit for innovations which were less than groundbreaking, although some seemed novel enough to justify a genius tag hanging on Mr. Pyke’s door.
The book probably appeals mostly to 20th century history buffs, although “history of technology” fans will also enjoy at least parts of it. With a little work, it would make an excellent series of “management of innovation” case studies.

Goebbels: A Biography
Goebbels: A Biography
by Peter Longerich
Price: $24.00
44 used & new from $18.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Look At One of History’s Rogue Characters, May 5, 2015
This review is from: Goebbels: A Biography (Hardcover)
Joseph Goebbels is a fascinating figure. He is the man at the helm of one of the largest and most successful mind-control organizations ever developed, and yet as dependent as a puppy to receive praise from his master. Goebbels was a man whose use of mass media was ahead of his time, but his personality was a mix of total evil and the jealousies and needs of a child.

=== The Good Stuff ===

* This book is almost completely based upon the private diary of Joseph Goebbels, Hitler’s Minister of Propaganda. This has its good and bad points. At first, Goebbels is a fairly honest and forthright chronicler of his own life, and is honest about his experiences, successes and shortcomings. He relates details of his own coming-of-age, his thoughts on suicide, and his difficulties as a poor student and romantic. As the book moves into the events of the National Socialists seizing power, and the Second World War, Goebbels becomes much less reliable and self-delusional. Still, the entire journey is a fascinating read.

* Peter Longerich edits the diaries with a very light hand- or at least seems to. I suspect that the originals contain many pages of rambling text, but the published version comes across as reasonably precise and well-ordered. Longerich, for the most part, keeps the diary information in chronological order, which unfortunately means that individual threads are often choppy and incomplete. In other words you have to read the book with quite a few active story-lines running concurrently.

* Most important of all, the book allows you to glimpse into the mind of Goebbels. For example, the master manipulator of millions of people was himself easy fodder for Hitler’s power and control games. We see Goebbels, who thinks himself a key player in the Third Reich government, regularly being excluded from major decisions-(such as attacking the Soviet Union) and instead, spending his time prioritizing the playlist for state-run radio shows. His descent into denial and an almost fantasy-like state is well captured as he pins hopes for victory on promises that he knows, or should know, are fiction.

* The book is very well referenced, so that if you have an interest, you can probably track down Longerich’s chain of thought. The diaries are not presented in Goebbels’ own voice, but are summarized and condensed by the author-which probably makes them slightly less accurate but infinitely more readable for us amateur historians. While the book is quite long, and occasionally overly detailed, it more than held my interest.

=== The Not-So-Good Stuff ===

* The book is not a stand-alone book. If this is the only book you read on the politics and leadership of the Third Reich, you will come away disappointed. The flip-side of Longerich’s minimal editing is that there are a lot of details left for the reader to fill in. For example, Goebbels presents a very one-sided view of his relations with Albert Speer and Herman Goring. His views don’t track at all with more accepted history and memoirs of these two men. Longerich leaves the reader on his own to understand and sort through these conflicting accounts, and does not provide a lot of guidance or hints at other points-of-view.

* My biggest disappointment, though, was with Dr. Goebbels himself. I just expected the man who could influence the thinking of millions of people to be a shrewd judge of character, a penetrating analyst of other people, and a man capable of well-thought out plans with long-term goals. Goebbels comes across as none of these, especially in his later years. Many of his observations border on naïve and Hitler manipulates him quite easily and openly. Goebbels flutters around from one project to the next, often with little to show for it. Much of his “leadership” is really the politics of jealousy and rivalry.

=== Summary ===

This is a long book, and took me a few days to read- something quite unusual. It was interesting and well-written, so it was easy to pick up-but to really appreciate the book required some “thinking” time between reading sessions.
I would recommend this book to anyone who considers themselves a “serious” consumer of WWII history. If you enjoyed other memoirs and histories of WWII, this will make a nice addition to your mental library. If you are a very casual fan of WWII history, I think much of the conflict and drama inherent in the book will pass by you without your noticing.

Longerich ends the book with a summary of his own thoughts and observations, which to be honest I skimmed over. I had too much time spent in my own analysis to read someone else’s, at least right now. In a few weeks I will go back and finish the last chapter.

All things considered, I very much enjoyed the book, and am glad I spent the time to read it. It provides many new avenues for my amateur historian musings on the coming winter nights.

=== Disclaimer ===
I was able to read an advance copy through the courtesy of Netgalley and the publisher.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2015 3:37 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20