Profile for Sterling Steel > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sterling Steel RSS Feed

HP 564XL CB324WN#140 Ink Cartridge in Retail Packaging-Magenta
HP 564XL CB324WN#140 Ink Cartridge in Retail Packaging-Magenta
Offered by Apple Brothers
Price: $23.95
51 used & new from $8.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Old & Recycled Cartridge...NOT new, NOT in retail box, February 22, 2012
DO NOT BUY THIS ITEM IF YOU WANT A BRAND-NEW PRODUCT: I'm kicking myself because I didn't read the reviews - I ordered this item quickly because I knew it was the correct model number, and I trusted Amazon's description of it being new and in the retail box.

Like pretty much everyone else, I received a bulk (no retail box) cartridge in bubble wrap with a note from the third-party seller, explaining it was obtained for cheap from HP's "asset recovery program." In other words, it was an old leftover from some business that never used it. The expiration date on my item was 4/2012, which is five weeks from now.

Thankfully, I ordered this magenta cartridge before my current one ran out. So, I'm returning it. I ordered one of each of the other cartridge colors from Amazon, and they all arrived NIB (new, in box).

I also filed a report with Amazon since the item description is incorrect - actually, it's misleading and unethical. The note proves the seller knows they're shipping a product other than what the customer is expecting. I hope Amazon fixes this problem ASAP, since this deception appears to have been going on for years.

PS3 Move Power Stand
PS3 Move Power Stand
Price: $33.28
41 used & new from $22.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect for a moved-up PS3 slim, October 24, 2010
This review is from: PS3 Move Power Stand (Video Game)
I preordered this stand because it seemed like the best option available for me. My issue is I've got two dualshocks, two move and two navigation controllers, plus an eye camera...but only two USB ports on my PS3 slim.

This powered stand (it has it's own AC adapter) allows me to charge all 6 controllers at the same time. The charging docks use colored LED lights to inform you of each controller's status. Red means charging, alternating red/blue indicates it's 95% done, and blue lets you know it's 100%. There are three pairs of docks, each specifically designed to fit one of the three types of controllers. This means you can't charge more than two dualshocks in the docks at the same time, for example, though. On the other hand, while two controllers charge in the docks, you could attach 5 more via USB.

Yep, this stand also adds a net 3 additional USB ports to a PS3 system. The stand has 4 USB ports on the bottom right side, and there's a short cable which comes out of the bottom front of the stand and plugs into one of the PS3 console's two USB ports. So, you end up with a total of 5 usable USB ports -- 4 on the stand, and one on the PS3.

I'll keep my eye camera plugged in all the time and still have 4 other ports free for use. For example, I can plug in all the Guitar Hero instruments when I want, and not have to unplug the eye and/or not be able to charge my controllers. One can also use these ports to charge other USB devices, like cell phones, MP3 players, and bluetooth headset. The instructions specifically state, however, the USB ports will NOT charge Apple products, like iPod and iPhone.

I'd knock this product down half a star, if I could, because the charging docks are not "smart;" you can't store controllers in the docks indefinitely. This is why I said "almost perfect" in the review's title. The user manual says you should remove controllers after they are fully charged. It also states you should power off the stand when not in use (there's an on/off buttom on the front of the stand, but the USB ports are always active). I have to assume the controllers' batteries will get damaged if you leave them in the charging docks too long. I sure would be happy if that weren't the case, though.

One other minor quibble is that controllers don't exactly slide right in to the docks -- you usually have to wiggle 'em around a bit to get them to properly align with the mini-USB plug on the controller port.

Because the stand requires the PS3 console be vertical, I've opened up some room on the top shelf of my home theater component rack. Much of this extra room gets used up, though, because the fully charged controllers can't stay in the stand's docks all the time. If I were able to keep all the controllers docked up, and not have to bother powering down the stand when not charging, this product would indeed be perfect, IMHO.

Overall, though, the flexibility in charging lots of gear at the same time, plus adding three more USB ports to the console, make this stand a really handy upgrade for someone with a PS3 slim and new move controllers (the stand's not compatible with the old PS3 fat consoles, btw). I haven't found a better option, and, for what you get, the stand's a decent value.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2012 11:59 PM PDT

Kenmore Canister Secondary Motor Filter/ Whispertone and Others 2 filters
Kenmore Canister Secondary Motor Filter/ Whispertone and Others 2 filters
Offered by Our Pampered Home
Price: $4.65
10 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The elusive square foam "other" filter for my Kenmore canister vac, October 14, 2010
When researching replacement filters for my 5 year-old Kemore Progressive 25614 canister vac, I had a hard time finding the right one. Various websites recommended a rectangular paper filter (model EF-1 or #86889), but the one I pulled out of my vac was a thin 5" by 5" square of foam and cloth.

I finally found this product, and it was exactly what I needed. It even is a double pack! Reasonably-quick mid-priced shipping for the product, as well.

So what's the big confusion with the filter? It turns out my vac has *two* filters: the rectangluar replacement filter is for the exhaust, and it fits inside a panel on the back of the canister. The square cloth filter (model CF-1 or #86883) is a chamber filter, and it slides into the space between the bag compartment and the motor.

Kenmore could do their customers a huge favor by making their vacuum replacement/consumable part information more comprehensive on their website, and include user manuals for all vacs. My manual is hidden somewhere in boxes of old paperwork in my house...I think :)