Profile for Elizabeth Ray > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 251

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Elizabeth Ray RSS Feed (Stockton, NJ United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
WORKSHOP Wet/Dry Vacs WS0600VA General Purpose Wet Dry Shop Vacuum, 6-Gallon, 2.5-Peak HP
Offered by Value Brothers
Price: $54.99
6 used & new from $54.99

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, November 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This shop vac is very inexpensive, and proof that you get what you pay for. It is fine for light duty, but the opening to the canister is not very big, so clogs easily. Also, the canister is small, requiring frequent emptying. My biggest complain is that this thing is incredibly loud. I do not recommend using it without wearing hearing protection. They should include a discount coupon for Miracle Ear with purchase.

Behind the Kitchen Door
Behind the Kitchen Door
by Sarumathi Jayaraman
65 used & new from $5.08

4.0 out of 5 stars A call to action for diners, November 2, 2014
Saru Jayaraman is the co-founder of ROC, an advocacy group for restaurant workers. In Behind the Kitchen Door, she makes the case that a sustainable food model should include paying a living wage to those who prepare and serve our food in restaurants. In addition, restaurant workers should be provided pay sick days, and opportunities for advancement. (The latter is particularly important for minorities, who typically work the back of the house and are not offered promotions to the front of the house because of skin color).

The author combines research with individual stories from restaurant workers. Accounts of cooks and servers forcing to work while sick (even with Hepatitis, in the case of one Olive Garden restaurant) make a strong argument that healthy workers equal healthier dining conditions for customers.

The last chapter gives suggestions for consumers who wish to make a difference with their dining dollars.

This book is a must-read for conscientious consumers who enjoy eating out.

TWININGS Assorted Tea, Herbal, 20-Count (Pack of 6)
TWININGS Assorted Tea, Herbal, 20-Count (Pack of 6)
Price: $25.83
15 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice selection for a reasonable price, October 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am not a big tea drinker, but I was very impressed with this assortment of herbal teas in 4 flavors. When do enjoy a cup it is typically during the evening, so the fact that these teas do not contain caffeine is a plus.

The taste of the Pomegranate & Raspberry was pleasantly surprising, though it should be called Raspberry & Pomegranate as the raspberry taste is dominant and the finish tastes more subtly of pomegranate.

I am not big on orange-flavored teas, so the Orange & Cinnamon Spice was not my favorite. This is a matter of personal taste though.

The Bedtime Blend contains camomile and other herbs, and is a nicely balanced and soothing tea. The Pure Camomile tea tastes like..... well, camomile.

The teabags are 20 cents each when purchased through Amazon, which is a very reasonable price.

3M Peltor Tactical 100 Electronic Hearing Protector
3M Peltor Tactical 100 Electronic Hearing Protector
Price: $73.27
9 used & new from $67.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice hearing protection for a reasonable price, October 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These ear muffs are very comfortable to wear for long periods of time. Although designed for sporting use, they may also be used for yard work or while operating carpentry equipment.

I also own another pair of ear muffs that I bought from Home Depot for a comparable price. The noise reduction with this product is about 50% greater to my ears. I wear glasses, and the noise reduction was not affected by wearing these at the same time as my glasses. Unlike the product from Home Depot, these have a line in so you can listen to music while you work.

They are as stylish as hearing protection can reasonably be expected to be. For under $100, these are a very good deal.

Nutiva O'Coconut Lightly Sweetened Coconut Treat, Classic, 24 Count
Nutiva O'Coconut Lightly Sweetened Coconut Treat, Classic, 24 Count
Offered by BLK Primetime
Price: $26.92
5 used & new from $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars O'Coconut is O'SoTiny!, October 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love coconut, so was excited to try these treats. I was envisioning a granola bar-sized snack that I could throw in my backpack for days when I don't have time to eat lunch. My bad for not reading the description more carefully, but these things are really small. One treat is two mouthfuls at best, and that is if you have a really small mouth. They do taste good: they have a nice coconut flavor, without being too sweet as many coconut snacks are. I would like to eat a whole bunch of them, but at 83 cents a mouthful cannot afford to. If price were not a consideration I would rate these at 5 stars, but unfortunately it is so I am going with 3. These are so small that eating one makes me hungry, which defeats the purpose of buying these in the first place.

Life n Soul MT103 Bluetooth Earphones with Adapter, Black
Life n Soul MT103 Bluetooth Earphones with Adapter, Black
Price: $66.34
10 used & new from $45.18

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, but it doesn't work, October 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like the concept of this device, which should allow me to use my favorite headphones (relatively) wire-free. However, I could not get the bluetooth adapter to pair with my iPhone. It did not show up in the list of available Bluetooth devices on my phone, even though I followed the instructions in the manual.

To make sure that the problem was the device (as opposed to me being a moron), I asked my husband to try. He attempted to pair the device with his iPhone and with his iPad. The same problem occurred with both: the adapter did not appear on the list of detected Bluetooth devices.

Too bad, it is a nifty idea.

We Are Not Ourselves: A Novel
We Are Not Ourselves: A Novel
by Matthew Thomas
Price: $18.09
93 used & new from $7.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Eileen works hard and has what she considers a very good career for a woman of her time, October 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We Are Not Ourselves tells the story of Eileen Tumulty, the hard-working child of immigrant Irish parents. Early chapters describe an upbringing in which she struggles to deal with her parents' adult problems. As a nursing student, Eileen works hard and has what she considers a very good career for a woman of her time. She finds a life partner in a scientist named Ed Leary, who she sometimes feels is more dedicated to the pursuit of research discoveries than to their marriage. As their careers stabilize and they add a son to their family, Eileen yearns to move to a nicer zip code and join the ranks of the upper middle class. At the same time, her husband begins behaving strangely, and Eileen must struggle to keep her family together financially and emotionally.

We Are Not Ourselves is a long read, though the quality of the writing keeps the pages turning even when the author is depicting small details of the Leary's lives. We Are Not Ourselves will surely be compared to The Corrections, but I liked this book better: the characters are much more sympathetic despite their flaws. The book did seem to me to be two books in one: the first focused on Eileen's maturation to adulthood, and the second focuses on the how the changes to Ed affect the family.

This book was a worthwhile read, and secures Matthew Thomas' place my list of writers to watch.

JAM Transit Wireless Ear Buds (Black) HX-EP310BK
JAM Transit Wireless Ear Buds (Black) HX-EP310BK
Offered by WORLD WIDE STEREO
Price: $30.15
12 used & new from $22.32

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea but poor execution, August 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love the idea of bluetooth earbuds, as I usually keep my iPhone around my waist and inevitably get traditional cords tangled up, or they snag on something. These ear buds are a step in the right direction, but have some issues.

Pros:
- Reasonable price, especially considering that they are cordless
- Bluetooth pairing to iPhone was easy and worked the first time
- Switches automatically between music and incoming calls

Cons:
- The optional over-the-ear hooks are essential, otherwise the buds will fall out of your ears during even mild exercise like walking.
- Battery life warning is very poor - once the audible alarm sounds, you have only a few minutes before they die.
- Heavy and big. If there is wind, even a gentle breeze, the large size of the earbuds disrupts the path of the wind, which makes a very irritating noise.
- They looks stupid when you are wearing them. Really, REALLY stupid.

Too bad, I really wanted to like these.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2014 9:48 PM PDT

Cyber Acoustics PS-2370 Portable Stereo Bluetooth and AC Wall Speaker System (Black)
Price: $66.99
24 used & new from $66.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It is really nice to not have to worry about finding an auxiliary ..., August 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This portable speaker is really impressive for the price. Setting up the Bluetooth connection was straightforward and worked the first time I connected to my iPhone. It is really nice to not have to worry about finding an auxiliary cable (though the speaker does come with one), and since it Bluetooth its use is not limited to audio players from one manufacturer.

The speaker is relatively light, and small enough to put in a tote bag or purse for on-the-go use. The battery life is decent, and a voice tells you when the speaker is powering on and off. Charging is a snap since the plug for an outlet is built in.

One of my biggest gripes about portable speakers is that they often sound tinny, due to poor sound quality at the high frequencies and a lack of decent bass. For the price, this speaker has very good sound, and is sufficient to fill a small to medium sized room. I am really impressed with this speaker. Apparently my husband is too, as it is currently sitting on the desk in his home office. (I need to get it back.)

OXO Good Grips Over-the-Door Vertical Double Hook
OXO Good Grips Over-the-Door Vertical Double Hook
Price: $7.99
5 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What more could you ask for in a towel hook?!!! Nothing!!!!, August 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After the cheap-o over-the-cabinet-door plastic towel hook I had broke, I was desperately in need of a replacement to hang my bath towel on. My surviving hook (used for my husband's towel) is metal, but I did not want to purchase another because of the price. (It was approximately $6 at a nearby chain household good store.) Imagine my delight upon receiving this door hook!

My heavy bath towel has been hanging on this hook for almost a week. The ends of the hooks are kind of gummy, so the towel does not slide off (unlike with the now defunct hook.) My biggest concern was whether or not I would be able to close the bathroom door to protect my privacy with this hook installed, and I am please to report that I can! A little pricey, but all things that must not cost much to manufacture yet are essential to an annoyance-free life tend to be.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20