Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing STEM Toys & Games
Profile for Jackie Deltour > Reviews

Jackie Deltour's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jackie Deltour RSS Feed (Chicago)

Ulysses S. Grant: Triumph Over Adversity, 1822-1865
Ulysses S. Grant: Triumph Over Adversity, 1822-1865
by Brooks D. Simpson
74 used & new from $0.36

1.0 out of 5 stars Without A Human Pulse, January 26, 2000
Technically the writing is fine, but there is no energy, no passion, no humanity about Grant or any of the other historical figures. Simpson even manages to make the irascible and outspoken Sherman dull and dreary while Grant comes off as a flat, one dimensional technician void of all emotion and creative spirit.
When I bought the book I wasn't looking for Grant's canonization, but I was looking for Ulysses S. Grant. I wanted to enjoy his legendary friendship with Sherman. I expected to learn about his wife and children. I hoped to have his intellectual gifts unraveled from the oxidation of myth and distortion. I hoped to hear his humor that often surprised and delighted. Instead, Simpson provides a dull, almost brutal recitation of military facts without a human pulse. By the time Vicksburg was won, I was lost to boredom and irritation.
Simpson's voice is so silent on Grant, the person, the general, the hero, that it was like reading directions for making compost. I began to think he doesn't like Grant. It appears he has no opinion on whether Grant drank or butchered his men which are the two tenacious tentacles that strangle Grant's reputation. Silence may be golden, but in this case it leaves a lot of rust.