Profile for Carlyn Beccia > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Carlyn Beccia "Circus Girl" RSS Feed (Lynnfield, MA USA)

Align Probiotic Supplement 42 count
Align Probiotic Supplement 42 count
Price: $33.98
44 used & new from $24.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Have a little Poison with your Probiotic...., April 24, 2015
I have ulcerative colitis in remission. Taking this probiotic caused the worst flare of my life. Please read the other ingredients. First off, it contains milk and many UCers are very sensitive to milk. It also contains sugar. Sugar causes inflammation and yeast just love sugar. Then there is a bunch of stuff that would be great if you were painting a fence, but not so great to digest - Titanium Dioxide, FD &C Blue #1 -one of the most toxic dyes. Please save your money and buy a safer Probiotic.

Sinupret Kids Syrup, Sinus Respiratory & Immune Support, 3.38-Ounce
Sinupret Kids Syrup, Sinus Respiratory & Immune Support, 3.38-Ounce
Offered by PharmaFrag
Price: $12.93
44 used & new from $11.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a natural way to thin mucous, December 31, 2011
I bought this for my 2 year old son who has constant congestion. He tends to get colds and then just swallow all the mucous, vomit, spikes a fever, has a febrile seizure, and sometimes end up with a sinus infection. We tried everything. Sinupret thins out the mucous so I can get it out of his nose. It tastes good too so I didn't have to wrestle a 2 year old to the ground either. As soon as he took it, the snots came running out and I could grab them with a tissue. One problem. He is allergic to everything. By the second day, he did get a slight rash across his stomach and I can't really say what caused it because he tends to get these rashes a lot.

Also, I did notice that there is a tiny, tiny bit of alcohol in it. My guess is that the manufacturers need to put this alcohol in it to dissolve everything. So just don't give it to a child under 2. I did clear it with his Pediatrician before giving it to him and she said it was fine but to follow the dosage correctly.

Part 2: I got a terrible sinus infection. green snots for weeks, eye and nose pain, fatigue etc. My doctor said to take Mucinex which did work, but put me to sleep. I tried other decongestants and they made me jittery. Then I remembered I had the Sinupret in the back of my medicine closet. It thinned the mucous right out without any side effects. It actually worked BETTER than the decongestants too. I am ordering the adult tablets next. I find that taking it with one ibuprofen works best. The ibuprofen reduces the inflammation and cuts the pain and the Sinupret thins out the mucous so you can get it out of your nose. Sit in the shower with some steam after taking it and you will feel much better.

Bead Romantique: Elegant Beadweaving Designs
Bead Romantique: Elegant Beadweaving Designs
by Lisa Kan
36 used & new from $11.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel like Victorian Royalty, July 8, 2011
I got this book without even knowing what beadweaving exactly was. Unlike some of those fancy beading magazines that left me confused, this book breaks down every single step so even if you have never touched a seed bead you can make something timeless. The one place that threw me was tubular peyote stitch because I didn't know what "stepping up" was. I recommend watching some videos on youtube first.

This is one of those books that you will want to own vs. taking out of the library because the projects do take a bit of a time commitment. Also, unless you have a beading store near you, you will need to order some of the materials online. Many big beading suppliers offer free shipping. (try artbeads.com and fusionbeads.com). I also appreciated that the author offered suggestions for material substitutions because my budget just can't swing vintage crystals. I made the cover image in emerald and gold using the suggested Rivoli substitution and every time I wear it, I feel like I should have a drop of Medici poison hidden somewhere.

I have since purchased a couple of more beading books, but this one is still my favorite mostly because every single piece of jewelry is gorgeous and so unique. My favorite project was the Rivoli Y drop necklace. It took forever to make, but I get so many compliments on it. (Now if only I could get my three year old daughter to stop stealing it!)

I am really wishing for another book by Lisa Kan because I am running out of beading projects!

My First Biography: Christopher Columbus
My First Biography: Christopher Columbus
by Marion Dane Bauer
18 used & new from $9.37

5.0 out of 5 stars sneaky way to introduce nonfiction, February 15, 2011
Introducing nonfiction biographies to children under 6 is sometimes a tough sell. Many nonfiction stories are simply stuffed with too many dates and places. Unfortunately, as many parents know, most six year olds are very suspicious of facts being stuffed down their throats. Bauer has cleverly enticed readers into Columbus' story by focusing more on Columbus as a real person.

My daughter most likes that Columbus kept asking Isabella and Ferdinand until he got his yes - a concept every child can relate to. Her favorite spread is when Columbus discovered "tierra" (land) with seagulls flying above his head. Now, she requests this book almost every night. I never thought I would see the day when Columbus trumps Fancy Nancy.

But the real star of this book is the illustrations. Liz Goulet Dubois' illustrations are not too cutesy or too adult looking. Her Columbus strikes the perfect balance between a wise old soul and a childlike dreamer who had the courage to brave the unknown and the temerity to never give up on his goals.

Baby Babble 2 - P B M
Baby Babble 2 - P B M
DVD ~ Made by Speech Therapists
Price: $19.99
8 used & new from $7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Desperately waiting for Baby Babble 3, March 28, 2009
This review is from: Baby Babble 2 - P B M (DVD)
My 15 month old has greatly improved her vocabulary since getting both these dvds. Sometimes she would say words or two word phrases and my husband and I couldn't figure out where she got them, until I heard them in the video. The dvd also teaches signing and gives some helpful tips on how to get your child saying P, B, and M sounds. My daughter actually laughs out loud at the dancing bear in baby babble 1 and the funny faces the presenters make. It is a really engaging video and so much better than those baby Einstein videos. Even if your child doesn't improve their vocab they will definitely be entertained.

My only complaint is that I have been waiting for baby babble 3 forever!

Encyclopedia of the End: Mysterious Death in Fact, Fancy, Folklore, and More
Encyclopedia of the End: Mysterious Death in Fact, Fancy, Folklore, and More
by Deborah Noyes
Price: $20.10
54 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Death Feast!, January 15, 2009
Encyclopedia of the End braves the grim reaper to demystify death in an alphabetically-listed banquet of facts, folklore, science and history. The scientifically inclined will be intrigued by the process of rigor mortis, postmortem and near-death experience, to name just a few. The history buff will find fascinating stories of 19th century body snatchers, death masks, death portraits, and tales of Houdini convening with the spirit world. Looking for a lighter fair at the death banquet? Skip to the letter G and read about goths, ghosts and graveyards. Looking for something meatier? The author includes the different cultural viewpoints on death in a respectful, but never preachy tone. Each topic includes just the right amount of details to keep inquisitive readers of the dead (or undead) engrossed for weeks. Best of all, the author impartial tone truly honors the dearly departed.

King George: What Was His Problem?: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About the American Revolution
by Steve Sheinkin
27 used & new from $0.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Raucous Royals Book Review: A history book faster than Billy Dawes famous ride..., December 11, 2008
I bought this book because of the title. I have always thought George III was a dullard so I was dieing to find out exactly what the title promised...what was his problem??? When I opened it up, I realized that this book was about the American Revolution (Yes, I missed the small print in the subtitle). Horror! Not another American history book. As a native of Boston, we laugh at the tourists who think the Battle of Bunker Hill was really fought on Bunker Hill. And there are only so many Boston duck tours and Lexington Battle reenactments that one person can stand in a lifetime. So you can imagine my disappointment when I realized the book that I thought would teach kids about royalty was really about those ruffians, our founding fathers. Don't kids have enough books on the American Revolution?

Boy was I wrong. Kids need this book.

First off, Sheinkin's book is full of amusing antidotes about real people and not the cardboard cutouts that appear in text books. For example, who would have thought that Sam Adams, the sharp dressed guy on my favorite beer, was a sloppy dresser and had a thing for salmon. Did you know that Patrick Henry was a bit of a motor mouth? Yes, we hear tales of Washington's troops being a bunch of hooligans, but did you know that Washington also had to break up a thousand-man snow ball fight between Massachusetts and Virginia?

What really sucked me in was not just the trivia. Sheinkin has a rare ability to tell history from all sides without getting too weighed down in the details. Best of all, he remembered the ladies. For example, did you know that Hannah Davis could watch the minutemen battling from her house? Have you ever thought about what Dorothy Quincy was doing in the middle of the melee? You will have to get the book to find out.

Readers also get plenty of real quotes, letters, maps, and George Washington's bad love poems. The text book information is there, but the pace is faster than Billy Dawes famous ride (Sheinkin calls this section "Revere and That Other Guy") Yes, King George III only makes a few cameo appearances, but the reader won't miss him. (I still think he is a dullard) Overall, what really makes King George work is the fact that readers can take away far more than George's dilemma. You start to see what everyone's problem was, and most importantly, how so many colorful personalities (with very different opinions) came together for one goal.

A quick mention on the art: Tim Robinson's hilarious pen and ink illustrations also give an extra layer of sauciness to the characters. George has the perpetual "I can't believe I am being disobeyed" look of shock and Robinson captures the blustering, larger-than-life nature of Ethan Allen perfectly.

Note: The age range is 9-12, but I really hate when Amazon dumps books into this category. The age range should say 9+ because adults will enjoy this book as much as kids.

Doomed Queens: Royal Women Who Met Bad Ends, From Cleopatra to Princess Di
Doomed Queens: Royal Women Who Met Bad Ends, From Cleopatra to Princess Di
by Kris Waldherr
Price: $13.54
164 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars History becomes HERstory, December 11, 2008
We have all probably heard the sermon: "those who do not learn from history are bound to repeat it." Kris Waldherr exposes this truism with biting candor in her appropriately titled Doomed Queens. Part cautionary tale, part biography, Doomed Queens is chock full of regal queens meeting not-so enviable ends. Readers will find all their favorite femme fatales like Anne Boleyn, Marie Antoinette, and Mary Queen of Scots, but also lesser known figures such as Empress Wang and Theodora of Trebizond. Waldherr reminds us, "too often history is written by the victors." So true. For this reason, readers will be captivated by Arsinoe IV, the Jan Brady of history--pushed aside by her more cunning sister, Cleopatra. Then there is Juana of Castile who emerges from the shadow of her powerful parents, Ferdinand and Isabella to show how things really went down in the power struggle for the throne. hint: it doesn't end pretty. In each biography, Waldherr shows how herstory doesn't always end as happily as history.

There are so many doomed queens included that you might have a hard time keeping their deaths straight. No worries. Waldherr offers handy icons to accompany each tale symbolizing everything from death by child birth to a date with the executioner. Each biography ends with an irreverent "cautionary moral" that may especially appeal to teens tired of pedantic conclusions in their history lessons. What can we learn from Sophia Alekseyevna, the disaffected, half-sister of Peter the Great? Perhaps it is as simple as, "the best candidate doesn't always get the job." What does Marie Antoinette's bucolic stint as a milkmaid tell us? "When you play at being a peasant, you risk being killed by one."

Humorous quizzes and pithy sidebars add an extra level of intrigue for readers who have shorter attention spans while Waldherr's haunting illustrations suspiciously circle each queen like a macabre dance of death. Look closer and you will find ghoulish memento mori peeking out from behind each delicately rendered portrait. Could this be a reminder? Perhaps current examples of distaff corporate climbers and policy makers can be made a head shorter with as much disregard. (ah hem...Palin)

But don't let the title fool you. Although undeniable a morose angle taken, at the heart of Doomed Queens is not how queens died, but how they lived. Did Joan the I of Naples deserve the same fate as her husband? Why was the deposed Irene of Byzantium a candidate for sainthood? It's these types of questions that will have book clubs, classrooms, royalty aficionados and modern-day divas talking.