Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Erwin Peil > Reviews

Browse

Erwin Peil's Profile

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Erwin Peil RSS Feed (Michigan)

Kingston Digital 120GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5 (7mm height) Solid State Drive (SV300S37A/120G)
Price: Click here to see our price
208 used & new from $21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Drive, would buy Another, October 9, 2013
This is a great solid-state drive for anyone looking for a speed upgrade over their aging mechanical/platter drive.

I bought this with the intent of using it as a second boot drive for Linux (Ubuntu 12.04) to go along with my Intel 120GB SSD, which runs Windows 7 Pro (x64). My dual-boot configuration is humming along nicely, and I have Kingston to thank for it.

Make sure before buying that your motherboard has 6.0 Gbit/sec SATA ports, otherwise you won't experience the full performance potential of the device.

I've only had the drive for about a week now, but installation and configuration was a snap, and it's working fine. So far so good!

Noctua for Intel LGA 1156, 1366, 1155, 775 and AMD AM2/AM2+/AM3 Sockets, 6 Heatpipe 2x140mm SSO Bearing Quiet CPU Cooler - Retail NH-C14
Offered by AmaMax (USA) Since 1993 l iMBAPrice® Authorized Distributor
Price: $89.99
6 used & new from $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet, stable performance that I'll carry over for my next PC build, January 2, 2012
I bought this because my CPU cooler was dying and I needed a quiet, futureproof cooler that would support a variety of CPU sockets.

The NH-C14 cooler is far bigger than any cooler I've ever used before. After reading some of the reviews, I was concerned about whether it would fit into my case, but it turned out to be a non-issue.

Noctua has a motherboard/CPU socket compatibility list for this model, located here:
[...]

Be sure to look for your motherboard/CPU on that list. To be safe, check inside your case and see if you have any components (e.g. a large video card cooler) that might get in the way as well.

To install this, I had to remove my motherboard from the case in order to mount the back-plate underneath the CPU socket. I kept my setup in "Dual-Fan mode", which means that both of Noctua's NF-P14 140mm fans went in alongside the heat-sink. For thermal paste, I opted to use an Arctic Silver cleaning/paste kit: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams with ArctiClean 60 ML Kit.

Overall, the install took about a half hour, mainly because I was being extra careful with where I put all my motherboard cabling. The trickiest part turned out to be screwing the motherboard back in because my top-mounted power supply and the Noctua cooler were crowding the top. I had to unscrew my power supply in order to get the last motherboard screw in.

The fans spun up and reached operational speeds at first boot. This cooler is very, very quiet. After checking the temps in BIOS, this unit is keeping CPU idle temps consistently at 26 - 27 C. My CPU no longer locks up under heavy load while I'm processing audio/video. Problem solved.

I highly recommend this CPU cooler, especially if you're planning to do a motherboard/CPU swap in the future, and need a silver bullet solution that will keep your CPU cool, and your room quiet, for years to come.

Maxtech 16521MX 32-Piece Precision Bit Set
Maxtech 16521MX 32-Piece Precision Bit Set
Price: $21.00
3 used & new from $21.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for computer repair and small electronics work, December 19, 2011
This is a 'precision bit set', which means: 'for small jobs only.'

I bought this because I needed a small, portable solution for my on-site computer repair business.

After opening the packaging, I found the case to be smaller than I thought it would be. The bits are small but well-machined. The bit sets are arranged in three removable rows next to the multi-driver and its extension, which sit in their own form molding. The case is made of cheap plastic and includes a mounting hole in case you want to hook it to your peg board. I didn't like the Maxtech sticker on the case, so I used a hair dryer set to hot and carefully peeled it off.

To use this tool effectively, you need to attach the extension for the driver handle and lock the nut, otherwise the bits will slip into the handle.

The handle is made of plastic and features a rubber grip. At the end of the handle is a rotating cap which you can palm and use as a pivot point for when you're torquing the driver and don't want to reset after each turn.

Overall, I'd say this is a great entry level bit set/multi-driver combo and serves as my go-to set for computer repair work. I like the fact that it includes a wide variety of bits because you never know what you'll run into when you dig into a laptop/notebook/Mac.

If you need a long driver for a lot of heavy torquing work, then look elsewhere. Otherwise, if you need a good variety of bits and a multi-driver for small electronics and computer work, save yourself some cash and pick this up.

Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1333 MT/s (PC3-10600) CL9 SODIMM 204-Pin Notebook Memory Modules CT2KIT51264BC1339
Offered by JTC TRADING
Price: $69.99
7 used & new from $44.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Performs well on my Mac Mini, October 22, 2011
I bought this as a DIY upgrade for my Mac Mini (stock Mid 2011, i5 @ 2.3GHz, 2 GB DDR3 RAM).

The RAM fits correctly and has noticeably improved the performance of my machine. Installation was a little tricky because of the confined working area inside the Mini's case. Eventually I got both sticks to fit into their slots and clipped down. Overall the install took less than five minutes -- nothing to sweat over. I booted into OS-X (Lion 10.7.1) without any issues and the 8 GB showed up in 'About This Mac' immediately.

I highly recommend this product, especially if you're a DIYer and want to save some money on your Mac Mini RAM upgrades.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 19, 2015 12:02 PM PST