Profile for ducksquat > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 83

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

"ducksquat" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Secret Weapons Over Normandy
Secret Weapons Over Normandy
Offered by You Name the Game
Price: $44.99
90 used & new from $0.18

3.0 out of 5 stars Average at Best, December 15, 2003
My buddy bought this when it came out and we were both disappointed when we played it because it had such great promise.
Pros: Graphics are good but not spectacular. Controls and learning curve are easy. I appreciate plane engine stall outs as this seems realistic on some of the more acrobatic moves.
Cons: Poor reality. There is not elevation indicator (not sure if the old WWII planes had those or not) which made it hard to know how high or low you wanted to be. The accelerator and deceleration doesn't appear to truly change enough while playing. I was flying low between palm trees and the wings would go right through the wing without any damage - very unreal!
It's an okay game but if you want to get it, you'd be better served to wait until it comes down in price or you'll likely be as disappointed as we were.

Nikon Coolpix 5700 5MP Digital Camera w/ 8x Optical Zoom
Nikon Coolpix 5700 5MP Digital Camera w/ 8x Optical Zoom
21 used & new from $49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Exceeds my Expectations, December 3, 2003
I purchased my Nikon Coolpix 5700 just before our October trip to experience the New England foliage. Wow, just in time! This is a wonderful camera in every sense of the word. I'll give you the good and then the bad.
THE GOOD:
The lense is by far one of the best on the market as evidenced by the clarity and sharpeness. The zoom is very handy and I was able to close in on far off mountains, eagles, etc. It's a good size for my hands and I'm 6'3", a big guy to say the least. Whether you are into all the gizmos that SLR's offer or simply want a point and shoot, this is wonderful. You can save settings for various situations. For example, I have one setting for dark indoor places, another for cloudy days, and another for macro shots. My wife hates gadgets and I taught her how to simply switch it to automatic and she loves it too! The camera doesn't feel cheap, but rather, amazingly sturdy.
The 5 megapixels come in handy since I am shooting to find the best to use as original art in my home. My sister-in-law is so impressed that I'm now her photographer instead of the costly studios when shooting her newborn. Hey, I'm not a professional either and the camera made me look like an expert!
THE BAD:
Yeah, the clicking and whirring is annoying but if you know how to read and comprehend decently, you'll understand ways to focus differently in certain situations. Those that complain are either impatient or might be lacking in the comprehension department.
Attachments are a great plus such as the 2x close up lens or whatever. Hoever, they will take about 10 - 20 seconds to get out and set up for various shots which is annoyance. Having said that, isn't it about the same for a true SLR camera too?
I wish the filters would go directly over the lense but instead, it goes over the attachment meaning that you will not get full range of your 8x lense because the attachment doesn't allow for full extension. Sometimes, I get the dreaded barrel look so I think I'll look into a wider lense to make up for the barrel.
Batteries go fast! However, I have one backup and a quick recharger that can be charged in the cigarette lighter of my car. Keep 'em charged and you are fine. With both batteries, I can fill up 526MB card without problems as long as my saving mode is relatively short.
BOTTOM LINE:
Great prosumer camera. After researching and testing many, this is the best quality if you are into quality of photos with the most toys as long as you are willing to take time to LEARN how to use it! This camera should last me another 6 years or so.

Toshiba Satellite Pro M15-S405 Laptop (1.40-GHz Pentium-M(Centrino), 512 MB RAM, 40GB Hard Drive, DVD/CD-RW Drive)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Value Overall!, December 3, 2003
I do a lot of comparison shopping and this laptop blew the competition away at the level I was searching for. The Centrino processor allowed me to watch 2 full DVD movies with 1.5 hours left over to play a game on a recent plane trip! That in itself was outstanding. The layout of the keyboard is also wonderful where you have 3 ways to navigate with a mouse (thumb on mouse buttons when using the pad, thumb on mouse buttons when using the eraser head and of course, a real mouse via one of two USB ports. The computer is fast fast fast and I believe it amounts to about a 2.4 GHz processor when related to the Pentium IV. Screen is crystal clear and an excellent size. Oh, there's a wireless lan built in for those that like to go to wired coffee shops or wherever!
It's a wonderful purchase and I highly recommend it!

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (Two-Disc Collector's Edition)
DVD ~ Johnny Depp
Price: $9.03
1064 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and Entertaining!, December 3, 2003
I didn't have high expectations going to see Pirates of the Caribbean but it was a slow weekend so we took the plunge. Well, it was well worth the effort and I'm only disappointed that I didn't go see it earlier! I am adding it to my DVD collection for sure.
The action is choreographed quite well and adds, doesn't distract, from the film. The fantasy is also a welcome addition as it blends reality with special effects rather seemlessly. The humor is genuine, timely and it doesn't feel forced.
I rarely give 5 stars and reserve it for best in genre. Of all the fantasy pirate-type movies I've seen, this is by far the best!!!

Studio MX 2004 with Flash Pro Upgrade from eligible Macromedia Product
Studio MX 2004 with Flash Pro Upgrade from eligible Macromedia Product

5.0 out of 5 stars Studio MX 2004 - Macromedia Continues to Set the Standard, December 3, 2003
If you are serious about working on the web whether novice or professional, you cannot get any better than the Macromedia products. I've owned the suite since the second version was out and, with the exception of Adobe PhotoShop, the Macromedia products are the ONLY thing I ever use.
Dreamweaver MX 2004 with Flash Pro continues the tradition of creating seamless code so you have to do very little tweeking - only if you know how and need to do so! It saves me so much time in coding and I can trust that it will not add extensions that are not viewable by all, such as the Frontpage product. It has roundtrip HTML, meaning you can easily add your own code, modify existing code, etc. without any problems at all.
The interface builds upon MX by making CSS much more powerful. You can view your CSS styles incase you forgot what it looked like very much as you would a font in Microsoft Word 2000. The pallets are more intuitive and takes a slight adjustment to get used to from MX. Dreamweaver MX 2004 also has more robust features with added internal extensions to make your code bank stronger. The simple drag and drop method makes it so easy to use. I've used the MX 2004 version for about a month now and am thoroughly impressed. It's a significant upgrade and worth the money.
Flash MX 2004 Pro and Fireworks MX Pro simply build more functionality and makes life much easier. Flash MX Pro has more powerful tools for backend developers, video streaming and WAP devices.
The interface for all of the products are very easy to learn. I am a professional now, but have used the products prior to becoming professional and it has helped me to make my transition from professional counselor to full-time web developer a dream come true! If I can use it, ANYONE can!!

Studio MX 2004 with Flash
Studio MX 2004 with Flash
Offered by LZ FANTASTIC FINDS
Price: $150.00
5 used & new from $82.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Studio MX 2004 - Macromedia Continues to Impress!, December 3, 2003
This review is from: Studio MX 2004 with Flash (CD-ROM)

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilariously Clean Christmas Fun!, December 2, 2003
Parents, you can feel safe letting your children of any age watch this wonderfully fun holiday movie. I was skeptical in thinking that it would be either too watered down for adults or too risque for children. It was perfect for the entire family! The subtle humour is perfectly portrayed by Will Farrell and the supporting cast only add to the ambiance, they do not detract! I can't wait for the DVD to come out as it will be added to my collection. Watch the movie, you'll be glad you did!

Studio MX 2004 with Flash Upgrade from Studio MX, MX 1.1, MX Plus
Studio MX 2004 with Flash Upgrade from Studio MX, MX 1.1, MX Plus

5.0 out of 5 stars MX 2004 Continues to Blow the Competition Away, December 2, 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Ol' Fashioned Western, August 25, 2003
"Open Range" is a good classic western that I would say is a cross between Lonesome Dove and Unforgiven. All actors/actresses did a splendid job in their roles but I shy from a 5 star rating because the writers could have done a better job towards the end, which was a bit too predictable for my tastes.
I appreciate that the movie didn't go overboard with gratuitous violence and that typical hokey love scenes or romance isn't overdone. This feel-good movie will be added to my DVD collection in the future.
See the movie, if for nothing else, the Northern Canadian Rockies are splendidly portrayed on the big screen!

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb - A Must See, July 25, 2003
I find myself agreeing with the other reviewers. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this film keeping me captivated from beginning to end. While the basic premise of the story line is retold in many stories (person overcomes a perceived "handicap" to flourish), the way it is told is a breath of fresh air and a good lesson in the basics of humanity that transcends all cultures. It was a delight to see that the culture of these Maori (indiginous tribe of New Zealand), particularly how their struggle is insync with the struggle of many cultures today who are losing their identity and roots to the ever emerging new world order. This movie is based upon fiction mixed with mythology and legend and should be perceived as such - failure to understand this might lead one to think the spirituality of it is overdone. This was the same plight for desenters of "Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon" who complained about the unrealistic martial art moves.
"Whale Rider" is so much more than just a young girl who would become leader. This movie will not disappoint. BTW, I reserve full five stars for what I consider best in genre and this is very close but I still think "Ran" has this one beat. Regardless, it will be a valuable addition to my DVD collection when it comes out.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9