Profile for rozman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

rozman RSS Feed

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR3 14.1 MP Digital Camera with 8x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Blue)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera, nice features and nice price, July 28, 2010
I previously owned an earlier generation Panasonic Lumix compact camera and was very happy with it. I did a lot of research prior to purchasing the DMC ZR3 and have learned that over the past few years Panasonic has made quite a name for itself in the camera industry. The primary reason for me upgrading was that newer cameras have HD recording capabilities as does the DMC ZR3 and also I was attracted to the large optical zoom capability (8X) with such a compact camera. It is only slightly larger (hardly noticeable) than my previous Lumix, which I bought largely for its compact size.

Pictures are nice quality. Like any camera you buy -- especially compact -- pictures with a lot of natural light are going to turn out the best. If you plan to take a lot of pictures of scenery or the outdoors during your traveling I would recommend this camera. It takes very nice quality photos outdoors. Indoor photos are not quite as sharp generally, but sometimes they can turn out pretty good if you are able to have a decent light source. honestly, sometimes I force the flash off if there is enough artificial light to make due.

The HD video pretty much follows suit with the still photo quality. Best in good natural light situations, tending to be grainy in low light. And because it is video as opposed to still frame, the granularity is more pronounced as is to be expected with probably any camera until you get into professional grade (and big bucks). I find the ability to connect to an HD TV using a mini-HDMI cable very handy. You should be able to find a generic mini-HDMI cable online for less than $10. You should realize that when using the HDACV Lite mode of recording, it works nice for TV playback, but is not as PC friendly as it requires the included Panasonic software to load that format onto your PC. You do have the option of recording in the less memory-efficient motion-JPEG format which will allow you to load directly to a PC without software, making videos more conducive for sharing.

I have found the strong zoom to be good quality in terms of maintaining sharpness of the subject. When you have the zoom at maximum or a very high level, you have to keep it very steady -- especially in lower light. I have not yet attempted using it with a tripod, but I am confident that would produce quality results.

Bottom line is that I paid less for this camera than I did my first Panasonic Lumix (which I really liked) and it has a lot of nice recent technological improvements which I find very useful. It's well worth the money.

HDE Black Semi-hard Magnetic Closure Case for Panasonic Lumix Digital Cameras
HDE Black Semi-hard Magnetic Closure Case for Panasonic Lumix Digital Cameras
Offered by DBROTH
Price: $2.99
2 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Near perfect fit for Panasonic Lumix DMC ZR3, July 28, 2010
The only reason I don't give this case a FIVE Star review is that I was spoiled with my previous camera case which was for an earlier Lumix model. That case was real leather and specifically designed for the model and truly fit like a glove. But its only fair to say that this case is a fraction of the price that I paid for the custom case. With all that said, this case fits my new DMC ZR3 very nicely, without any jiggle as I carry it on my belt. The magnetic flap is very nice too. It doesn't have to be perfectly lined up in order to close. Bottom line is I would highly recommend this case for the price. If you can find a custom fit case specifically for your DMC ZR3, it would be nice but you will probably pay quite a bit more.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2010 10:49 AM PDT