Profile for monoblocks > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 1976

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

monoblocks RSS Feed (Seattle, WA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1024MB GDDR5 DVI mHDMI Graphics Card 01G-P4-2650-KR
EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1024MB GDDR5 DVI mHDMI Graphics Card 01G-P4-2650-KR
Offered by LAVA Technology Inc.
Price: $127.00
6 used & new from $120.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sweet card for the price, October 29, 2014
Looking for a replacement board for a dead ATI (the second Radeon to fail in some manner in less than 4 years) in our desktop Dell, I decided to go nVidia this time around. Hadn't really heard of EVGA but their products were pretty much everywhere and garnering very positives reviews. Initially tried a lesser 610 graphics card with 2GB of GDDR from them...ended up being an utter failure on our i7. Constant crashes and system freezes, even with Windows Aero disabled. And certainly streaming any sort of video content was impossible to do without the computer locking up, which is about the heaviest lifting that this computer does (it's not used or set up as a gaming computer). After that debacle I really didn't want to go with EVGA a second time, but Amazon had this one at a decent price so I bit...and I'm glad that I did.

Installed easily enough, and it worked perfectly from the word 'go'. Video response is extremely fast with none of the slight delays and hesitations that the last Radeon--which was nearly twice the price when it was purchased--did in this Dell when viewing content streamed off the web or working in graphics-intensive apps. Zooming within graphics editors and usability within video editing software has never been better. AutoCAD, SketchUp and Revit operations are far more seamless. This card quite simply makes the user experience on this box so much more enjoyable than what we had previously. While I doubt that we'll ever set up this computer for any sort of intensive gaming activities, this card makes me think that I could, and that the experience would be very satisfying.

Micro T-1 2 MOA Red Dot Scope with Standard Mount
Micro T-1 2 MOA Red Dot Scope with Standard Mount
Offered by Kenzie's Optics
Price: $659.00
4 used & new from $659.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Though not perfect, still a great red dot, October 28, 2014
Short version, the title says it all. For the more in depth form...sorry, but you'll have to read on.

Basically I'm as cheap as the next guy and always looking out for the best deal and values, but I have to say that so far Aimpoint's T-1 Micro (2MOA version) is one exceptional optic. Even at its rather lofty price point (for a red dot) the sheer quality that seems to ooze out of the device is quite amazing...and curiously (to me) satisfying. Virtually every built aspect that I can think of about the this T-1 is made to such a high level of fit and finish that I truthfully can't come up with very much to complain about in this regard. Its housing is stout to say the least and has so far handled bumps and hits as advertised. The controls are solidly assembled and show considerable thought in their design though I have some gripes with how they actually work for me (more on that later). The glass and coatings are excellent in their optical quality, whether used in low light to the brightest conditions (at least as far as I've been able to experience to date).

Though not perfect, with my eyes its glass coatings do very well dealing with glare when confronted with a strong light source forward of the optic. There's very little flaring that can be an issue with some lower prices red dots that due their price points often don't provide the sort of quality lens and glass coating that a higher priced optic has (though that said, Bushnell's very affordable, sweetheart of an optic TRS-25 is just as good in this regard, at least as my sight can detect). Strong light sources from behind me do create a "hot spot" or two in my sight picture on the rear glass, but it doesn't cascade into distracting multiple linear spots as I find that happens with less expensive units such as with my Vortex SPARC and StrikeFire II.

The ghosting from the red dot source is well mitigated in the T-1 as well, with none of the distracting reflection aberrations of the dot source that the aforementioned TRS-25 and my old Primary Arms unit (whose model number currently escapes me) create in their respective fields of view. The red dot presentation itself is for the most part nice and sharp even with my astigmatism (coupled with my corrective eyewear) that often causes issues with illuminated red dots such as that in my Trijicon Accupoint TR24 German #4 or any of my Vortex and Primary Arms red dots. Overall the T-1 is a very nice device to view through that presents a clean sight picture for me to use.

As for the night vision aspect of the device; it does provide the extreme low level power settings that are friendly to my simple NV headset and works pretty well in that capacity. But this is where the aura of the Aimpoint's perfection up to this point starts to rub thin. There are several nitpicks that I do have with the Micro's primary control knob, not the least of which is how it handles night vision. The unit uses a simple scaling power control that adjusts for the intensity of the red dot; all of the NV-friendly settings start right next to the `off' or zero setting. Which means that for the settings I or anyone else use the most (for my NV-unaided sessions, which is most of the time), I have to cycle through those lowest power settings in order to make the red dot visible in normal lighting conditions. Frankly I'd rather have less power setting detents and a simple push button to cut the intensity down for night vision use, just like what was on the original Vortex StrikeFire red dot. Moreover it would've been nice to utilize more power off detents that are positioned between the intensity settings, though I suppose that's something one only finds on more expensive $1k+ units like Vortex Razors and Leupold's HAMR. Still, it's one for my wishlist for the next Aimpoint since it would improve the ease of usability of the device considerably.

The other gripe I have about the primary control is its placement; being the right handed shooter that I am with rifles, I dislike having to use my trigger hand to operated the power/intensity control that's mounted so far away from the `go bang' switch. When my rifle is in hand, I want my trigger hand near the trigger, period. Sure I could my use my off hand to awkwardly cross over the top of the T-1 to manipulate the power setting, but it would been MUCH easier and logical if the power control were located on the left side of the Micro, at least for us righties. As for the windage and elevation controls; they do what they're supposed to do and the Micro does hold zero perfectly, but considering their small size, the caps with their `wrench' capability and their raised posts for aiding in turning the respective zeroing turrets are somewhat annoying to me.

A simpler raised blade I believe would work better and faster at getting that bit into the top of the turret for making those necessary adjustments. Instead I found myself fiddling too much for my liking with trying to get those damnable posts registered into their respective depressions. Plus the posts are too small to keep the inverted cap in reasonably firmly in place; even for the level elevation turret the posts won't keep the cap in place when trying to make adjustments by feel; more than once I've inadvertently knocked it off when I was doing a simple zeroing on my workbench. At the range I also knocked off the cap when making my 100yd zeroing adjustment; it took a devilish amount of time to finally find that wayward cap, and certainly I learned my lesson NOT to even attempt making a elevation adjustment out at my favorite shooting spot in the forest without my eyes firmly focused on the turret, then bouncing back to the viewport to check on the results. I'd have to Aimpoint's customer service number on speed dial for auto-ordering new caps if I were to try what I'd been doing at home and at the range.

One final nit I have has to do with the Micro's housing. The placement of the eyepiece glass (the rear of the T-1) is relatively exposed and is quite easy for my evidently non-nimble fingers to smudge a fingerprint or two upon. Maybe I've just gotten careless due to my increasing use of `lesser' red dots that recess the glass further in from the edge of their respective housing openings, but it too would've been nice had Aimpoint provided a little deeper well so it wouldn't be quite so easy to smear the glass with unwanted oils and grease. The good thing is that with one of my Micros it coexists with a 3x magnifier that for the most part keeps my bumbling fingers from interacting with the glass...at least until I pivot the Vortex magnifier off to the side. I know that it's a relatively minor thing that just seems to annoy me a lot more than it probably should. Then again with me it's easier to find aspects that don't work as well as they could than to blindly sing the praises of any gadget, be it cheap or spendy.

In the end the T-1 (and non NV-friendly H-1) Micro are still excellent at what they're intended for. The T-1 currently--and probably permanently--resides on my 300BLK AR pistol on a LaRue high mount (⅓ co-witness), and it works great in that role. I do like their solid construction and build quality as I've been known to treat my gear rather harshly at times. And although the Micro isn't perfection, I'm more than appreciative that they reside on a couple of my guns. I only wish that I had the kind of discretionary funds to allow me to get them mounted on a couple or three more.

Solid four stars, in consideration of its price point and any added value. Of course had it been a few dinero cheaper, that fifth star would definitely have been in play. Full disclosure: at the price I paid for it from Larry Potterfield's shop (MidwayUSA, in case you didn't recognize the name), who had it on special a while back, the price I paid makes it a firm 4.5 stars.

EDIT: one thing I forgot to discuss is the one piece lens cap. Suffice to say that it's cheap and not worth the effort of keeping (other than it says 'Aimpoint' in raised lettering, if you care about such marketing drivel). Tango Down's slip-on Micro cover with attached lens caps is a far better solution for protecting the exposed glass of you H-1 and T-1 optics. Just an FYI...

Tango Down Vickers Tactical Base Plate for Glock
Tango Down Vickers Tactical Base Plate for Glock
Price: $18.50
17 used & new from $17.58

3.0 out of 5 stars They work and I suppose they dress up a Glock a bit, but..., October 15, 2014
They didn't work quite as well as I hoped. I like the side scallops for getting a good purchase on the magazine if it doesn't fall freely from the magwell upon release, but the reality is that I haven't experienced that issue with any of my Gen3 or later made Glocks. It isn't until I go back to an old Gen2 (and an early one at that) that I've had any hint of problems with mags dropping freely. Besides, doing the Glock 'Flick' on dropping a magazine will evacuate the magwell quite effectively without any need to deploy new base plates.

Now that I've been using them for a while, I also find that I'm not a particular fan of the requisite side bulges that Tango Down decided was needed to accomplish those gripping scallops. They jut out just enough to be annoying, similar in effect that magwell flares do for me. The inclusion of divots on the base plate bottom is a nice touch for those who don't already have a system of marking and delineating one's magazines. And getting them on the magazine housing was pretty straightforward and easy, though removal for cleaning the internals of the magazine is just as annoying as the original Glock mag bases, which would've been nice had Tango Down had addressed this bothersome aspect of Glock magazines.

To me these horseshoesque TD bases are merely okay. They aren't too expensive to experiment with, but for myself I don't see any real advantage to using them, and to me from an aesthetic standpoint they're a bit like putting lipstick on a pig. A somewhat homely shade of lipstick, I might add.

GEN 4 Slug Plug Glock 17 19 22 23 31 34 35 *Fits only Generation 4*
GEN 4 Slug Plug Glock 17 19 22 23 31 34 35 *Fits only Generation 4*
Offered by I Love My Glock
Price: $7.99
5 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The little plug that could, October 15, 2014
Like this a lot more than I thought I would. Put one on one of my carry Glocks and now I don't have to be annoyed by the buildup of lint and crud that collects in the cavity beneath the gun's backstrap. In terms of helping guide a new mag into the magwell during speed reloads...it's somewhat a marginal aid to me at best. If there was more of an beveled angle to the forward edge leading into the magwell, maybe then it would do a more effective job of guiding the rear of a fresh magazine into the grip. Regardless, the fact that I DON'T have to pull out the Q-Tips and MPro7 to scrub out that backstrap cavity every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks is a godsend.

Sometimes it's the little things that make life great. This one qualifies.

Eezox Synthetic Premium Gun Care 4 oz. Can
Eezox Synthetic Premium Gun Care 4 oz. Can
Offered by TANDEMKROSS LLC
Price: $13.35
2 used & new from $8.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Works against rust, but..., October 15, 2014
This review is from: Eezox Gun Care (Sports)
Using this to deal with rust issues on my carry Gen4 Glock (I do miss Tenifer); protects well but it does require frequent reapplication to remain effective in this role. Not crazy about the aroma, but at least its presence or lack thereof does alert me to when I need to apply a quick wipe of Eezox on the slide of my G23.

Liftmaster 890max Mini Key Chain Garage Door Opener Remote
Liftmaster 890max Mini Key Chain Garage Door Opener Remote
Offered by Open Door Discount Remotes
Price: Click here to see our price
25 used & new from $14.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it needs to do very well, October 15, 2014
Bought to replace my previous keychain Chamberlain remote, which I basically wore out. This rectangular one doesn't feel quite as stout material-wise as the old ovoid-shaped remote did, so we'll see if it lasts as long. But I do like that the activation buttons are recessed--on the old remote they stood proud of the housing--although in pocket I have inadvertently activated the opener when it bumped against whatever was residing in there (and I admit I do often have a lot of stuff in my jean pockets). In the nearly couple of months that it's been in use it's worked flawlessly, although it was more of a challenge to program it into the door opener than I last remembered...probably because it's one of those activities you just don't do very often. Range seems very good for how I use it, but I think my older one extended out its signal a fair bit farther, though that's not necessarily a good thing if I'm leaving the house, the garaged door is no longer in my line of sight and an unintended push of the remote button occurs.

So aside from my questions about the material quality and the occasional inadvertent door activations, I guardedly give this remote a 4 star grade. It does what I need it to do and to date it does it without annoying histrionics, which at the end of the life of its predecessor unit was something I really grew tired of dealing with. So for that alone, yes I'm happy for the arrival of this Liftmaster remote.

KEY-BAK #488B Retractable Reel with 48 inch (120 cm) Kevlar Cord, Durable Polycarbonate Case, Zinc Alloy Carabiner, Split Ring
Price: $7.53
21 used & new from $7.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great so far, August 20, 2014
My only complaint is that it's so darn BIG. It's only been a couple of months in use, but so far so go. I suppose that we'll see if it lasts as long if not longer than my last keychain reel, which was just under 4 years.

Magpul Industries MBUS Pro Back-Up Rear Sight, Black
Magpul Industries MBUS Pro Back-Up Rear Sight, Black
Price: $76.50
29 used & new from $74.50

4.0 out of 5 stars MBUS Pro rear sight: decent if imperfect open sight for any AR, August 20, 2014
While the rear is similar in many aspects to its companion front Pro sight, I find it the less successful design between the two pieces. The viewport apertures are not as eye-friendly to me as those on either the Gen1 and Gen2 polymer rear MBUS sights, which so far for me slows down my target acquisition speed. Like the Pro front, it does not come with an assisted spring opener. And also like the companion front it comes with a semi-gloss sheen. All that said, it still works well enough. The small footprint on the gun is very nice indeed, and as I stated for my review of the MBUS Pro front sight, the rear's similar MIM construction is so far not a bothersome thing at all. All in all, 3 1/2 stars.

Magpul Industries MBUS Pro, Back-Up Sight, Front, Black
Magpul Industries MBUS Pro, Back-Up Sight, Front, Black
Price: $61.79
32 used & new from $57.90

4.0 out of 5 stars MBUS Pro: solid construction makes it seem G2G (so far), August 20, 2014
Like how small they are compared to the standard Magpul polymer equivalent. They work just as well in most aspects, but I do miss the spring-assisted open function of its bigger poly sibling. And the finish has a semi-gloss sheen to it that's not at all appreciated. Complaints about it being MIM instead of milled or forged is for now not of particular importance to me, although I guess I'll find out if I still feel that way after the first time I drop my rifle right into the front sight. Solid 4 stars.

KNS Non-Rotating Trigger/Hammer Pin .154 Gen 2Black
KNS Non-Rotating Trigger/Hammer Pin .154 Gen 2Black
Price: $33.00
12 used & new from $27.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, but there are consequences in their use., August 20, 2014
Yes it's easy to install. And the Gen2 non-rotating trigger/hammer pin set from KNS does do exactly what it's supposed to do: provide hammer and trigger pivot pins that won't rotate while in the AR receiver. So why only a tepid 2 stars? Because the KNS trigger pin went and did far more than advertised, all of which had undesirable and unforeseen consequences with its installation on my AR pistol.

Had I known that it would introduce a noticeable and irritating amount of grit to the first stage pull of my Guissele SSA-E trigger, I would have been extremely reluctant in considering this add-on at all. Even though the pin is finished in natural stainless steel, evidently its smoothness is still no match to the finishing of the pins that Guissele provides with their trigger kit. So far no amount of fine lubricant has helped to mitigate the grit; likely if I'm to continue using this pin I'll have to figure out how to polish further such a small part in order to HOPEFULLY get the trigger action to where it once was. Much more of a pain and inconvenience than merely living with possible rotating AR pins. My bad for not doing the requisite research, since as I've discovered after-the-fact across the web there are plenty who have voice similar complaints about these KNS pin sets.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2014 10:26 AM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20