Profile for Justin E. Mccoy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Justin E. Mccoy ""The Real McCoy"" RSS Feed (North Carolina, U.S.A.)

Page: 1 | 2
Uncanny Avengers, Vol. 1: The Red Shadow
Uncanny Avengers, Vol. 1: The Red Shadow
by Rick Remender
Price: $18.62
101 used & new from $7.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Great blend of faves from both X-Men and Avengers..., May 23, 2013
I'm relatively new to comics; outside of Godzilla and The Punisher, I never strayed much into the mainstream stuff. I contemplated it, but didn't know where to get started until my local shop owner told me about Marvel Now. I'm glad he did, and this was one of the first books I picked up; I loved X-Men from the cartoons, and The Avengers from the movies, and this was a team made up of both. The idea was, and still is, very interesting and fun.

WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS
Now, on to the team. The team itself is meant to be an embodiment of Professor X's dream: Man and mutant coexistence, which is an interesting idea in itself. Despite having problems getting along with each other, every member of the team seems to have an important and meaningful role, and it seems like the spotlight is never stolen by anyone. I'm not sure how I feel about Wonder-Man and Wasp being labeled as "PR" members, but they do actually fit in very well, and I think they'll get thrown into the mix before long; whether it is by choice or not is left to be seen. I dig the addition of Sunfire; this is my first experience with him, and he is a welcome addition. Rouge's character is a tad annoying here; she doesn't really want to be here, and she doesn't get along with Wanda, but she does play an important part in the story so far. It was weird seeing Captain America take second chair, but Havok is doing a pretty good job here.

In terms of the villains, they really have started out big. First the Red Skull (which I thought might have been a little overly graphic, but good nonetheless), and then Kang and Apocalypse. The Kang/Apocalypse story is shaping up to be a doozy.

The art of a book is never a huge selling point for me; as long as the story is good, I'm usually happy (with a few exceptions). But it seems like, learning more about the comic book world, art is a really big deal for some people. That being said, I think the art in this book passes the test. Starting out with John Cassaday, with issue five changing to Olivier Coipel, and from then on, Daniel Acuna. All three were stunning (to me, at least); I think Cassaday was the best so far, but I'm not sure if he's coming back for anything more than cover art. I doubt art will be a problem with potential buyers here.

I cannot comment on the actual material quality of this product; from reviews of other Marvel Now collections, the implication is that they are rather poor. I've been reading the story, and hopefully the information I've shared here will help pique interest in this fun story.

Godzilla (The Criterion Collection)
Godzilla (The Criterion Collection)
DVD ~ Takashi Shimura
Offered by American_Standard
Price: $17.99
40 used & new from $14.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it, February 29, 2012
There's not much I can say that hasn't been said already. I also own the Classic Media release, and it has its good points, but this release is a step up. The picture and sound quality are amazing, and the best I've seen so far.

The extras are great. There is a wealth of information to be had, and while I haven't gone through all of them myself, I can say that just the extras alone are worth the price.

The commentary tracks are good. David Kalat is very informative, and his style is engaging. The only problem (a small one, at that) is that his speeches are all over the place, and often does not match up with what is going on on the screen at the time. But as I stated before, his fun and engaging personality make it hard not to enjoy listening.

Whether you are a collector or not, I strongly recommend buying this release, even if you do have the Classic Media disc. You will not be disappointed.

Destroy All Monsters
Destroy All Monsters
DVD ~ Various
Offered by Lee's Movies
Price: $27.77
18 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best release so far., February 29, 2012
This review is from: Destroy All Monsters (DVD)
This is my first Godzilla movie on blu-ray, and I must say I'm very happy. The picture is very clear (to me, at least). I haven't watched it with the Japanese or international audio (I have no interest in the international version; it's pretty annoying), so I can't comment on those, but the AIP audio sounds pretty good. Of course, there is the issue of the distorted sound early on, but it lasts for only a small amount of time, and while it is distracting for a short time, it is hardly worth complaining about, at least not as much as some I've seen. I'm sure there was a better source out there somewhere, but these people worked with only what they were allowed to work with (minus the issue with the photos), so it's not like they didn't put any effort into it at all. I haven't experienced the issue with the disc freezing at 34 minutes, but I bought the disc elsewhere, so maybe that is a factor. The extras are nice. The commentary by Ed and Steve is again informative and interesting, and it also has trailers, photos, and even radio spots!

As for the movie itself, most long-time fans already have an opinion, but for those who haven't seen it, you need to. It is definitely not my favorite, but it is a must-watch, if nothing more than the monster action. I'm not going to compare it to any of the mother movies, but again I say it's worth a watch.

All in all, regardless of it's (minor) issues, I am very happy to own it. I recommend this to any Godzilla fan; The picture is very good, the audio selection is good, and the extras are plentiful. I hope you decide to pick up this copy; I doubt you will be disappointed.

Mikadroid: Robokill Beneath Disco Club Layla
Mikadroid: Robokill Beneath Disco Club Layla
DVD ~ Hiroshi Atsumi
Price: $16.58
21 used & new from $7.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Droid gone crazy..., January 8, 2012
This looked like an interesting title, and I was surprised to see Toho's name attached to it. The disc is good; the picture looks good, and there's lots of extras. Discotek did a pretty good job with this, but then my standards may not be as high as some others. The disc has only one audio option, which is Dolby digital 2.0; whether or not this is a weak point is open to debate. The extra features amount to a little over an hour of material, depending on how fast you go through them. I personally haven't went through it all yet, but there's a decent wealth of it available. This is definitely worth the money, in my opinion.

As for the movie, it's not so good. The mechanical super-soldier story was interesting enough, but they didn't build on it very much. As a matter of fact, it didn't feel like they built on much of anything throughout the story. None of the main characters had very good development; they were just there. The most interesting part of the story is the other two unfinished super-soldiers chasing after the Mikadroid trying to end the experiment once and for all. Possibly one thing that hurt it is its relatively short run time, which is about seventy-three minutes. Not a lot of time to develop a good story.

Still, I believe most monster movie fans would find some interest in it somewhere, as I did. The release is quality, the movie is mediocre, and the combination of both should be a relatively enjoyable experience. I hope this review helps everybody!

Tokyo Gore Police
Tokyo Gore Police
DVD ~ Eihi Shiina
Price: $9.86
21 used & new from $3.38

4.0 out of 5 stars A review for the product and the movie., January 6, 2012
This review is from: Tokyo Gore Police (DVD)
I bought the two-disc Blu-ray release of this movie and I was a little disappointed with the picture quality. I am watching it on a 32" LCD TV, and maybe I don't have my adjustments right but I think it could be better. The blu-ray comes with several extras; I haven't perused through them all yet, but there are several trailers. The audio options are for both English and Japanese, in both 2.0 and 5.1 digital sound. Not anything spectacular, but definitely not a bare-bones release either. The second disc, which contains a "short film" collection comes with several shorts, so no shortcomings there, but the picture quality is worse here. I can't say to stay away from it, but be careful.

As for the movie itself, here goes: I never really was a big fan of the excessive gore and violence on film; I always found it distasteful and ridiculous. That being said, I loved this movie. The movie doesn't have much of a plot or character development, but the point of the film seemed that it was trying harder to be disgusting and bizarre than to be a great film. And it delivers rather well, in my opinion. The music, while nothing special, was at times quite eerie, and lent to the gruesome feeling of the movie.

I've seen several complaints from uppity film snobs who believe that every movie in existence should be of nothing less than pristine quality to be enjoyed, and if otherwise, they have no business being made at all. Pfft. Then stay away from stuff like this. If it's a slap to your face when something like this comes on the market, you need to grow up. These movies aren't meant to win academy awards; they are meant to be bloody and gory and freakish, which they do quite well. Broaden your horizons; it'll be a lot easier to be entertained.

I hope this review helps everybody; I was moderately happy with both the disc and the movie itself, and if you are capable of viewing films on levels other than "pure greatness or nothing," you might just be happy with this one. Now, off to The Machine Girl...

Godzilla vs Megalon Dvd
Godzilla vs Megalon Dvd
2 used & new from $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Justin "The Real" McCoy, May 2, 2011
This review is from: Godzilla vs Megalon Dvd (DVD)
Well, if you've looked at any other disc in this set, I've said it already, but what the heck? I own them all. There are no menus, but don't turn your nose up yet! The extras are cool! (Even though you have to wait until the end of the movie to get to them) Anyway, again, I say that this is NOT a two-disc set. I haven't seen them for a while, but there have been sellers on EBay advertising this as a two-disc set. It's a scam. One-disc only, and it is the original. You'll love it! Another note: It says that this is a region-two disc, and will not read on region- one players, but I have two region-one players, and they both play all of these discs. I think it's worth it to take a chance.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2012 10:41 AM PDT

Godzilla Vs Biollante
Godzilla Vs Biollante

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't think twice, just buy it!, May 1, 2011
This review is from: Godzilla Vs Biollante (DVD)
There's not much I can say that hasn't already been stated in previous reviews, so it'll be short. No menus, a couple trailers before and after the movie, and a really cool behind-the-scenes feature after the movie. The original Japanese with english subtitles, too! I guess it does have special features, kind of! It's a good movie, and the representation is good. It is well worth the price, unless you want to bid on it and pay sixty-some-odd dollars on other sites. One more thing: contrary to what other sellers say, this is NOT a two-disc set. I have seen a few sellers advertise this as a two-disc set, one the original and the other the english. The same way with The Return of Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Megalon, both of which, along with this movie, don't have an official american release on DVD. Don't waste your time with them. It would be nice, but these discs are fine the way they are. I own every one, and I am happy as can be with them, and I think you would be, too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2012 10:58 AM PDT

Gamera Vs. Zigra / Gamera: The Super Monster [Double-Feature]
Gamera Vs. Zigra / Gamera: The Super Monster [Double-Feature]
DVD ~ Mach Fumiake
Price: $15.08
32 used & new from $9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining if you have a open mind, March 22, 2011
I'll begin by saying that Gamera: The Super Monster was my first ever Gamera movie, so it holds a special place in my heart. This is the first time I have seen Zigra, and I don't think it's that bad. I thought Zigra was pretty cool, actually. And, by the way, Shout! did another great job on this release. Thank you once again. We get the same good extras that we did with the other releases, so I was pleased with that. So far, we have been lucky enough that this page hasn't been poisoned with a bunch of reviews by attention-starved internet nerds saying how bad these movies stunk. They are much better than most people give them credit for. Most tend to forget; these movies were aimed at children. Children are always the winners, and the adults are always dumb. That's the way it works. Get over it. For Super Monster, the spacewomen story is cool, and the title song, let's face it; if you didn't tap your feet at least once during that song, slap yourself and wake up. The acting isn't as bad as they say it is. There are several eye-roll moments(anything to do with a keyboard or the van), but it is a monster movie for kids. The ending is really sad. This movie has something special about it, though I don't know what. Anyway, I am very happy to own them. I've had this pack for eight days, and have watched each movie twice. These are great movies, if you can just tap in to your younger side, so to speak, and ignore all the trash that the critics say, because they all say the same thing: I have NO imagination!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2011 5:52 PM PDT

Matango: Attack of the Mushroom People
Matango: Attack of the Mushroom People
DVD ~ Akira Kubo
Offered by closeoutmovies
Price: $25.29
18 used & new from $25.29

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the all-time-greats, February 9, 2011
Not much can be said about this movie that already hasn't been adressed. It's great. That sums it up. I just recently saw this for the first time and it knocked my socks off. I haven't watched the dub yet, because I just don't enjoy them much, but because of the American name, it's easy to see why this and other good movies by Toho don't get the respect they deserve. It sounds like a typical 50's low-budget horror movie. The story is one of the most solid of any of Toho's monster movies, as each character has a solid role; there are none that just "tag along" so to speak. There is a heavy message of betrayal in the movie, which gives it more depth than just being a monster movie. On a more silly note: Everyone makes fun of the mushroom people suits! Ask yourself this; what would a human-sized mushroom look like? It would look fat and awkward and goofy and pimply, just like in the movie! Anyway, thank you Tokyo Shock for putting out this great movie, and keep them coming.

Varan the Unbelievable
Varan the Unbelievable
DVD ~ Myron Healey
6 used & new from $48.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great release from Tokyo Shock, February 9, 2011
This review is from: Varan the Unbelievable (DVD)
I actually bought this movie back in July, but I never reviewed it. It isn't the greatest of Toho's monster movies, which is why I didn't give 5 stars, but the disc is great. The unfinished TV version is a nice touch, and of course you get trailers, previews, and such. You get 3 different tracks, Japanese mono, Japanese 5.1 surround, and a commentary. The only thing nicer would have been the american version which, even though everyone said it stunk, would have completed this set. I never saw it as a kid, and I can't find it anywhere; even though I probably wouldn't like it I'd still like to see it just once. Definitely worth having on your shelf if you are a monster movie fan. Tokyo Shock does a great job with these old monster movies and I hope they keep doing it.

Page: 1 | 2