Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for E. Z. Wood > Reviews

Browse

E. Z. Wood's Profile

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

E. Z. Wood "Funlayo" RSS Feed (New York, NY)

Page: 1 | 2
Dr. Martens Women's Pascal Boot,Cherry Red Cartegena,9 UK/11 M US
Dr. Martens Women's Pascal Boot,Cherry Red Cartegena,9 UK/11 M US

4.0 out of 5 stars Super cute boot, a little construction problem?, November 2, 2013
I have always loved Docs and I love these. They look great and I got compliments and was asked where I got them from the first day I wore them. Soft leather, quality boot.

My only complaint and the reason I gave 4 stars is that this particular model has a strange tightness across the top where the tongue meets the body of the boot, possibly because of how it's constructed. I expect Docs to be a little uncomfortable until broken in but this was downright painful on one of my feet to the point where I had to take them off. I will have to find a way to stretch and break these in really well (with something other than my feet) before I can wear them again.

African Traditional Religions in Contemporary Society
African Traditional Religions in Contemporary Society
by Jacob Olupona
Price: $11.51
53 used & new from $4.11

4.0 out of 5 stars Good scholarly book on ATRs, May 9, 2013
First, as my title mentions this is a *scholarly* book. This is not a "how to" guide on how to practice any particular African of Diasporic religion. If you're a newbie looking for a guidebook, this is NOT it. There are plenty of other books that do that, this is not the one of them. Instead, this book makes an important scholarly contribution.

As the title of the book states, it is a collection of essays on the role of ATR in contemporary society. As such, it covers a fair breadth of ATRs and their continuing role as "dynamic, changing tradition(s)" (p.1) in today's world as well as their relation to modernization, gender issues, and other considerations. As well, the first two chapters by Westerlund and Olupona -- themselves dense and worth the price of a used copy of the book -- address issues in the study of ATRs in the academy. My only complaint is that the chapters are quite short and, so, can only offer a fairly superficial look into the issues they seek to address. It is however a good start and the reference lists at the end of each article are good resources for those seeking more information.

This is a book I would definitely recommend to new scholars of ATRs or scholarly practitioners who are looking for a deeper understanding of the societal roles of these traditions.

Oshun Yesa
Oshun Yesa
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous song, May 4, 2013
This review is from: Oshun Yesa (MP3 Music)
This song is beautiful and jazzy. A lovely song for Oshun that blends traditional Afro-Cuban flavor with an African American jazz flair. Highly recommended!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love them! Comfy and true to size, April 18, 2013
I just got these, put them on and they are wonderfully comfortable and flexible right out of the box. I'm not sure about the advice to order up a half size -- I wear an 11, ordered and 11 and they fit perfectly. An 12 would definitely have been way too big. My feet are slightly wide and these fit wonderfully, so if you have a *slightly* wider foot (not super wide) they should still work well for you. The leather is soft, the color is rich and the ankle strap is ample. The sole is slightly thinner than I thought it might be and I'll be curious to see how long these last after I wear them all summer. But for now, I definitely approve!

brookstone Big Blue Live Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
brookstone Big Blue Live Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
Offered by VCI Group
Price: $72.99
9 used & new from $56.38

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it! Great sound and super portable., October 8, 2012
I LOVE this speaker! I received it as a (very thoughtful) gift and have used it every day since I got it. I travel a lot and it's perfect for connecting to my iPhone to listen to Pandora or plugging into my laptop for movies, music, etc. I like that it has the wired option (I bought a male-male aux cord for $2 on eBay and voila) so you're not limited to only connecting it to Bluetooth devices. The sound is LOUD particularly depending on what you're plugging it into. It's much louder when plugged into my laptop than my iPhone and it's still quite loud when plugged into the phone. No thin, tinny sound like you get with most computer speakers.

The bass is STRONG, the unit actually vibrates depending on the volume so you can tell the base is kicking. This could be annoying depending on the surface you have it sitting on. I find the highs and mids to also be quite clear and clean although some others have said the sound is "muddy." That hasn't been my experience and I listen to everything from classic rock to Afro-beat to metal to hip-hop. It's SUPER light and portable and definitely gives fantastic sound for the size.

The reason I took one star off is because of the flashing blue led. SUPER irritating. In Brookstone's defense, this seems to be a trend these days for electronics to have these annoying blue lights on them that stay lit all the time or flash on and off. Not quite sure why they all seem to think that's the way to go. Also, while the speakerphone sounds great on my end, I have had a caller or 2 tell me they hear an echo or that I sound "far away" even when the speaker is right next to me.

All in all, I love it!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 18, 2013 6:47 PM PDT

Parangear Gearpad Hyper-thin HID Bluetooth Keyboard At Just 0.3" (7mm) Thick
Parangear Gearpad Hyper-thin HID Bluetooth Keyboard At Just 0.3" (7mm) Thick

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, let's see how long it lasts!, March 17, 2012
Got the keyboard VERY fast as everyone else has said. It paired with no problem once I figured out how to pair it (it only comes with instructions for the iPad but basically the same for my BB Playbook). I like that it's soft, types quietly and is thin and light. It does feel a bit cheaply made, though, so we'll see how long it lasts. It would have been nice if it came with some sort of case because if I just throw it in my bag, it'll likely break. But you can't beat the price and it works well!

UPDATE 4/18/13
Still going strong after a year. I will add the caveat that I don't use it every day, but still, it's still working. It does still drop connectivity from time to time which is a minor annoyance, but it usually comes back within a few seconds.

Timberland Women's 26640 Bethel Buckle Boot,Medium Brown,11 W US
Timberland Women's 26640 Bethel Buckle Boot,Medium Brown,11 W US

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic boot!, January 11, 2012
I saw these boots in a store and they did not have my size so I was absolutely delighted to find them here on Amazon. And I got them during the Cyber Monday deal for 40% off though I was prepared to pay the full price, which was still discounted.

I bought the medium brown; the boots are GORGEOUS and the suede parts, including the tongue,are like butter. They've gotten a few scratches but they are of quality where the wear and tear doesn't take away from the look of the boot, in fact they look stylishly "worn." They run true to size; I wear an 11 and ordered the 11 and they fit perfectly. They were a tiny bit tight when I first put them on but being leather they stretched a bit and are very comfortable.

They aren't super warm but a wool sock can take care of that and they are water resistant enough that getting caught in the rain didn't leave me with soaking wet feet although I wouldn't go sloshing around in the rain as they do have suede parts. All in all they are fabulous and I have worn them every day since I got them and have gotten many compliments.

Rockland Luggage Rolling 22 Inch Duffle Bag, Pink Giraffe, One Size
Rockland Luggage Rolling 22 Inch Duffle Bag, Pink Giraffe, One Size

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING bag!, December 7, 2011
Now that I have had this bag for an adquate amount of time, I can truly say it is AMAZING and an incredible value. Similar bags cost a lot more and I doubt if they can perform better. I have taken this bag to Nigeria and on countless domestic trips packed to the GILLS to avoid having to check and it has held up very well. I love all the pockets and the zippers are VERY strong. It does get a little wobbly roll going on when I have it really stuffed, but that's to be expected. It usually stands up by itself if I pack it right, and the outside straps enable me to attach things (pillow, jacket, etc.) to the outside. I have packed up to 2 weeks worth of clothes into this bag and, best of all, even when totally stuffed, it has always fit into overhead bins, even on fairly small planes.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2012 6:18 AM PDT

El Naturalista Women's N138 Boot
El Naturalista Women's N138 Boot

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, but run small, November 7, 2011
I purchased these boots and I LOVE them, the leather feels like butter and they seem really sturdy. That's why I was SO sad to have to return them because they didn't fit me at all. I could not get my foot in. The I ordered the 41 which is supposed to be a US 11. I always knew the US 11 to be a 42 but I went ahead and ordered them anyway because other reviewers said they ran large, but this isn't the case. They are beautiful and great quality though!

Yoruba-English/English-Yoruba Modern Practical Dictionary (Yoruba Edition)
Yoruba-English/English-Yoruba Modern Practical Dictionary (Yoruba Edition)
by Kayode J. Fakinlede
Price: $32.29
59 used & new from $19.45

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but biased and limited in Yoruba to English, May 2, 2011
I will echo the other reviewers in saying that this is probably the best Yoruba dictionary on the market. I have yet to look for an English > Yoruba translation and not find it. That being said, there is a definite lack of Yoruba > English (the Yoruba > English section is less than half the size of the English > Yoruba section) so it is much less helpful in translating from Yoruba into English than the other way around. As a student studying Yoruba, it is not as helpful when I am reading a Yoruba text and attempting to find the meaning of a Yoruba word. My Yoruba professor has also identified some errors in translating English into Yoruba.

My largest disappointment with this dictionary, however, is with its CLEARLY Christianized and biased stance toward the Yoruba indigenous religion. It translates "devil" as "Esu" for example, when years and years of scholarship have indicated that this is an incorrect association (Esu is a deity in the indigenous religion and is in NO WAY analagous to the Christian devil). Additionally, it translates "idolater" as "aborisa" which is also incorrect (an aborisa is one who practices Yoruba indigenous religion and most would take issue with being referred to as "idolaters" particularly since it is clear that this term is being used pejoratively). There are several other translations of this sort which are extremely off-putting and disappointing. Outsiders have demonized Yoruba religion -- and African religions more broadly -- enough without someone who is of the culture doing so in a book that is supposed to be a neutral reference guide (to the extent that anything can be "neutral"). This is not to mention that it does not include any of the names for traditional Yoruba ceremonies, even though many of them are still undertaken by Yoruba people regardless of religious affiliation.

Page: 1 | 2