Profile for M. Kim > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 33

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Kim "gadget freak and man-toy expert" RSS Feed (Los Angeles)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Sabrent High Speed 10 Port USB 3.0 HUB + 5V 2.1A Smart Charging Port with 3 Power Switches LED Indicators and 5V 5A Power Adapter (HB-3U10)
Offered by Store4PC
Price: $35.00
3 used & new from $34.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Intermittent connectivity makes connected devices unusuable. Shows in Windows 8.1 as "Unidentified"., September 15, 2014
Recently purchased this only to have it not work after 2 weeks. The problem manifests itself as intermittent USB connectivity. I'm running a windows 8.1 PC, and randomly one day, my mouse and keyboard would just stop working for a second or two, then work for 10 seconds, then not work, etc., etc. The pattern has repeated since it first appeared, making any device connected to the USB hub unusable.

To troubleshoot, I unhooked everything from the hub, disconnected the hub, and connected straight into the I/O ports on the back of my PC. Sure enough, everything works just fine. The second I connect the Sabrent hub back and put all my devices on it, everything craps out again.

I looked through the Device Manager on Windows, and whenever the hub is connected, it shows up as an unidentified USB hub that requires a driver. A little unusual that a USB device needs a driver, but not unheard of. So I went to Sabrent's website, but there is driver to be found.

Returning this and going to try something else.

KES LP105-2 Single-Function Water Saving Handheld Shower Heads With Hose Bracket, Brushed Nickel
Offered by KES HILI INC.
Price: $53.00
3 used & new from $15.39

2.0 out of 5 stars Odd installation requirement, hose is not the exact finish as the head and bracket.., May 10, 2014
I purchased this because I fell in love with the design. For whatever reason, handheld shower heads are always hideous and bulky.

I assumed even before ordering, that this would not improve the waterflow and/or water pattern at all. I actually assumed that it might inhibit the waterflow based on the design. I didn't mind this so much, because I purchased it for my 5 year old and 1 year old.

I never got as far as to actually install it. I've owned a lot of handheld shower heads over the years, and I have never seen one that required you to actually drill into your shower wall/tile to install the bracket. Almost always, the bracket that holds the showerhead is integrated into the hose and/or shower attachment.

This particular product requires you to install the bracket into the wall (comes with 2 drywall screws and anchors). For most of us (including me), that would require you to drill into tile, which I'm not too fond of the idea for a 20 dollar shower head.

This wasn't expicitly mentioned in the description, and I didn't bother to try and infer it from the pictures because the past 6 handheld shower heads I used never required you to drill holes in your tile.

Also, The hose is NOT the exact brushed nickel finish as the head and the bracket (contrary to the answer in the QA section ). The hose is more of a standard non-chrome steel-like finish. Not "brushed" at all, so it does come across as a bit shinier then the brushed nickel portions (shower head and bracket).

Guess I'll be going back to one of those ugly bulky hand helds with 82 settings , with 81 of them seemingly designed to water plants, not clean people.

LG Electronics 55LB7200 55-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Smart LED TV
LG Electronics 55LB7200 55-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Smart LED TV
Price: Click here to see our price
4 used & new from $899.99

2.0 out of 5 stars WORST back light uniformity I've ever seen in any display EVER. *** Updates with 2nd set****, April 26, 2014
Length:: 6:09 Mins

Consider the title of my review. I've literally had hundreds of TV's and monitors in my life (work in tech). So to say that I've never seen such terrible back light uniformity is a crazy (but true) statement.

I had high hopes for this TV due to the gorgeous physical design of it. It was to live in my main family room on a limestone fireplace, so the design had heavy weighting in why I chose it (among other things).

Well, opened it up, turned it on, and IMMEDIATELY noticed 2 large black shadows on both sides, shadows in ALL 4 corners, and literally an entire GRID of shadows on the entire panel.

To clarify, when you first set up this TV, you're guided through a wizard, which actually is very well done and a great user experience (web OS based). The kicker, is that all these setup screens, use large blocks of solid color for a background, making this issue clearly evident up front. The worst was during one of the settings screens, and the entire screen was white.

I did a double take because I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

So I packed it back up, took it back to Frys(also have one on order from Amazon, but will cancel obviously). Giving the TV the benefit of the doubt, I walked over to the floor demo unit and asked an employee to reset the TV so the wizard would appear again (they were only playing "Dark Knight", so this was the only way to get it to a solid screen).

Lo and behold, it had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. The sales guy was pretty dumbfounded when he saw how horrible it looked.

It seems like this could be a running defect for the entire model line.

Just to be clear, this problem isn't so evident when there's a lot of colors and motion on the TV, which is why I believe why some people don't see it.

However, if you're watching any scene that has a light solid color at any time, then it looks downright horrible. For instance, there was a PGA tournament on TV today. Everytime the camera panned to the ball in the air, the entire blue sky looked like a grid of shadows.

Same with an NHL game where you have a large white ice background. Shadows everywhere. I played around with the settings in expert mode, but nothing helped.

I'm pretty speechless. I've owned insanely awesome TVS (Panasonic ST series plasmas) and cheap budget tvs, and I've never.. ever... seen a backlight this bad.

I took a brief video of it. My advice is to stay away. LG seems to be having QC issues. Wouldn't be the first time.

******* UPDATE 5/2/2014 *******

Amazon seems to have received a handful of these in stock, so I just bought the last one. I've been looking and looking for a TV that looks good on a wall and have good picture quality. Judging from some of the replies to this review, I bit the bullet and ordered another one in hopes that it won't have as prominent an issue.

You can expect another video and update after I receive my Amazon LG LB7200. Should be here next Friday (May 9th).\

******** UPDATE 5/13/2014 ( Received 2nd TV) **************

Received my 2nd LG LB7200 from Amazon yesterday. Had a chance to set it up, and actually watch some shows/movies on it last night. Here's some additional thoughts....

Pros:-----------
- Overall black levels are quite good for the price point (low 1000's).
- viewing angles are pretty god
- semi-matte screen seems to hold up well vs a lot of light. There ARE still reflections however...
- The design still looks quite beautiful, despite backlight issues
- sound is better then the average set, still not quite as awesome as LG says it is

Cons----------
- I am 100% sure that there is a running issue with this model regarding backlight uniformity. I have now personally owned 2, and have seen an additional 2 in the store (demo models), and EVERY single one has the same uniformity issues. Specifically, 2 vertical bands on either side, shadows in all 4 corners, and LED array shadows gridded across the entire panel. I find it too coincidental that 4 out of 4 sets that I have personally seen all have the same problem.

That being said, my 2nd set is noticeably better then my first one. Both the vertical bands and the LED array shadows are not nearly as pronounced, but to my eye, they are still noticeable in certain scenes. I did notice on this 2nd set however, that when viewing the TV as normal, the issue can be forgotten about pretty easily. You mostly see the problem anytime there is a large block of solid light color on the TV. I mentioned some examples in my earlier review, but another one would be when I was watching House Hunters on HGTV. There's a lot of scenes where they just kind of stand in front of a blank wall. I can clearly see the LED array shadows making the wall actually seem like 3 shades of paint rather then 1.

In a real world scenario, I have found that this is the exception, not the norm, since there aren't too many scenarios where you'd be required to put up with that kind of scene for prolonged times.

- Web OS is quite beautiful with LG's implementation... but it can really laaaaagg at times. Like switching from Netflix back to your TV input, or making picture adjustments. The remote is quick to navigate through the menu, but the problem is if you go to fast, the menu can lag.

Conclusions----------

I'm really torn about this TV. I just moved into a house with a dedicated home theater, so I don't have a need to have THE best picture quality HDTV in the living room. The LG LB7200, by far for the price point, is the PRETTIEST looking TV available. It's just damn sexy. Super thin, edge to edge glass, almost no bezel, metal frame, brushed speaker grill.... it really does almost look like a piece of art.

That being said, there is no denying that LG put out a sub-par backlight panel on this product, and I'm not surprised. I've had LG monitors in the past with issues as well, and overall, LG TV's are somewhat known to have backlight uniformity issues. The only problem is, on edgelit LED's, uniformity problems never manifested as grids, since there is no grid of LEDS. On this direct LED panel, the shadows appear as a grid across the entire TV.

I also know, that while this problem exists, the severity of each TV definitely varies (as reported by other reviewers who don't notice it, and myself personally). I believe that other people claiming that their TV is "perfect", is in fact, not perfect, but just a combination of their high tolerance for the defect, as well as whatever conditions they're watching their TV in. To be fair, the issue isn't evident in 99% of viewing of normal TV programming.

Since the 2nd set is noticeably better then the first, I'll upgrade my rating to 2 star. Slightly better, but enough of a problem that I would still not recommend it (generally speaking).

And another thing, the image for this product is actually slightly inaccurate. If you zoom in to the bezel, it appears as though the picture goes literally from edge to edge. This is actually not the case at all. There is a small bezel hidden underneath the glass that creates a thicker black border then what the picture shows. Still very thin, but very much present. The product photo is obviously a misrepresented photoshop of the actual TV.

So that's why I'm torn. I'm all about real-world usage, not theorizing about specs and what not on paper. And in the real-world, the problem is a lot less of a problem. The question is (for me as well as for you)... are YOU comfortable spending 1200-1400 on a TV, KNOWING it has an issue, but not necessarily "consuming" the issue during use.

For many, the answer will be "no, it doesn't bother me because it looks just fine when I watch it", which is a completely viable option.

For others who have a little OCD in them, it will bother you to no end just based on the principal of spending this much money on something that may not perform at an expected level.

Personally, I'm kind of the latter, but it's being offset by how FREAKING GORGEOUS the TV is. I haven't fully made up my mind yet.

Good luck in your decision

***** UPDATE 8/6/2014 *****

Being Korean myself, I would like to think we're generally an intellectual people. Apparently not all of us. Presumably LG employees, or people hired by LG (who didn't even think to make a non-Korean alias) have been submitting fake 5 star reviews. Note all the 5 star reviews with little to no description. The few that have other purchases were all made on the same day.

The more I see the history of this TV, the more I'm convinced that LG knows they put out a defective product, and are working as hard as they can to unload inventory. I've never seen a premium TV like this drop in price so fast. I've seen it as low as 990 brand new.

-Noah
Comment Comments (49) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2015 5:55 PM PST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal, customer service was very helpful, August 6, 2013
I've been tracking this painting for quite awhile now. At 3,000,000.00, I couldn't quite justify the purchase, but lo and behold... yesterday morning I wake up and the price dropped to 2,500,000. I jumped on it immediately, and was not disappointed. Nothing like coming home to see a brown box with a smiley face on it! The colors did not seem like what was advertised on the site, and I called up Amazon customer service. They were very helpful. When I faced them with my concern, the customer service rep told me it's not unusual for that situation to happen with art pieces, and assured me that I could return it within 30 days if I'm not satisfied.

What really sold me was the "in room" picture on this site, where it's next to a chair and side table. I couldn't quite picture it in my house, but after that imagery it was a no brainer.

The best part is that since I'm a prime member, I saved about 20 bucks on shipping. I also purchased with my Amazon Visa rewards card (3% cash back on all Amazon purchases), so I got 75,000.00 back in rewards. Thinking about getting a BMW M3 or perhaps go to college with my cash back.

Very satisifed customer.

**** Update after few days of ownership *****

Overall, still very pleased with this piece. Here's a helpful tip however. If you rent an apartment like me, and your landlord prohibits you from putting holes in the wall to mount things, I highly reccomend these

Command Picture Hanging 4 Small 8 Medium

They do a fairly good job holding things to the wall, and they come off very easily without leaving residue. Not sure what the difference is, but these were a few bucks cheaper, and worked great for this painting.

Command Medium Mounting Refill 9 Strip

Boconi Leon Slimster (Camel Brushed Calf w/ plaid)
Boconi Leon Slimster (Camel Brushed Calf w/ plaid)
Offered by CuffCrazy LLC
Price: $43.50
8 used & new from $36.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Have owned 2 of these, slimmest bi-fold you will find anywhere.... trust me I've looked, January 25, 2013
This review is from: Boconi Leon Slimster (Accessory)
I hate wallets. I hate the way they feel in my pocket, I hate to have to carry them around everywhere. Unfortunately it's a necessity, so I always try to find the slimmest usable (emphasis on usable) wallet at all times. I've tried many "slim" wallets. There's basically 2 types. There's the ones that are actually bi-folds, but are essentially made of napkins (neoprene,polyester, crap like that). Unless you're in 5th grade or a hipster with a mustache, most men do not prefer to carry around nylon wallets.

The other type of "slim" wallet are the ones that are basically 2 cards sewn together. Not sure how these even classify as wallets. There's nothing I hate more, then having to take out a wad of cash every time I have to pay for something with cash. It's inconvenient to me, and it's also obnoxious. I'm not a millionaire rapper who loves taking out his fat roll of Benjamins.I just want to discretely sift through the cash I have to take out the exact right amount. No money clips, no silly pockets, just a regular bi-fold where you can hold all your cash at full size.

Of all the wallets I have owned, both slim and utilitarian, this one by far marries both worlds the best. If you have a license, a check card, and a credit card or two, a few bills, and even a work RFID card, this thing stores all of that comfortably, and remains incredibly thin. The great part is, it's thing without feeling cheap. Even completely empty, it actually feels like a great leather wallet. Fill it up, and it barely feels any thicker.

I know when day, when I'm 60 and on my 10th Boconi wallet, I'm going to log in to Amazon to get another one, and find out they've been discontinued. I'll end up crying my little old-man heart to sleep that night, sad that I can't get these wallets anymore.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2013 6:02 AM PST

GGS LCD Screen Protector optical glass for Canon 5D Mark III Main LCD , Info LCD
Offered by Bingo Deal
Price: $11.39
5 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What's not to like, it's clear, it's plastic, it protects, January 25, 2013
Pretty much does what it says it does. I haven't noticed any sort of color variance on the LCD display on my 5d mk3. I did notice on the top LCD display, it formed 2 little bubbles right after application, but thats expected for appliances like this. Guess I should have been more careful. Doesn't bother me though. If it was on the main color LCD, then yeah.. I would have reapplied it.

Good fit, no complaints. I had one of these on my T2i for 4 years. Did it's job just fine.

Lugz Men's Ease Chambray Sneakers,Black,10.5 D
Lugz Men's Ease Chambray Sneakers,Black,10.5 D
Offered by Shoebuy

4.0 out of 5 stars Love these shoes, comfortable like sneakers, but stylish like not-sneakers, January 25, 2013
Comfy shoes. Love the wool'ish material and the padded ankle. Very easy to slip on and off, and look great with pretty much anything. My only complaint is the white sole. Seems to mark up very easily. I have to wipe them down almost every time after I wear them. Overall though, they're great. Comfortable enough to wear everyday, but you don't have to look like a 19 year old.

Samsung Series 9 NP900X4C-A03US 15-Inch Ultrabook (1.9GHz Intel Core i7-3517U Processor, 8GB DDR3, 256GB SSD, Windows 7 Professional) Ash Black

2.0 out of 5 stars 85% Awesome - 15% enough to dock it 1 star *UPDATED* - Now 2 stars, bad wifi performance..., January 25, 2013
No joke, I have bought and returned 3 laptops in the last 3 weeks. Getting sick and tired of it, but happy that the Samsung Series 9 A03 is going to work out just fine.

I'm coming from a 17" Macbook Pro, the last version ever made (i.e. Sandy Bridge, Thunderbolt, etc.). Overall I love this laptop. It's the thinnest 17" on the market with a gorgeous 1900x1200 display.Unfortunately, it's so heavy to lug around. The first 2 laptops I purchased was the Sony Vaio Z, and the 13" Asus Zenbook UV32D. Ultimately, 13" wasn't big enough for me, regardless of resolution. I'm a UX/UI designer and coder so high resolution (1920x1080) on a teeny 13" does me no good. I can't squint at pixels all day. After some apprehension, I picked up a great deal on a used Samsung 9 A03 here on Amazon.

The good first.. this thing is SEXY. Love the build quality, love the design. Kinda wish it wasn't a shade of gray-blue. Would have preferred jet black, or even a lighter gray, but I'll get over it. The 256gb SSD is quick. Quick boot times, quick wake times.

I've read many complaints regarding the keyboard and trackpad. Yes, the keyboard seems to have slightly less travel then even some other ultrabooks. Is it a detriment? Not really. I code all day, and average 110+ wpm (not code, but actual words.. I can get 130+wpm when I'm actually trying to type a lot of wpm). I can confidently say the keyboard is just fine. Is it a cherry MX mechanical keyboard? No... will it cause you to forget the English language and misspell every other word? No. It works fine for me, so no complaints. Trackpad as well. Seems to work perfectly fine, and this is coming from a macbook owner.. the mother of all trackpads.

I've heard a lot of bad reviews about the speakers as well. Yes, they sound like laptop speakers, but they sound fine to me. They don't distort at normal listening volumes. I don't really get it. I work on a laptop, I'm surrounded by people who work w/ laptops, and I've never met anyone who just CRANKS their speakers. Who does that? At work, you don't out of courtesy so you use headphones. At home, most people usually have a music playing device or speakers to hook up to. If you're the poor sap, who's main music listening setup is not good headphones, or a pair of 20 dollar speakers.. but laptop speakers.... pleas e do yourself a favor and just stop listening to music entirely.

Battery life, freaking awesome. Destroys my wife's Macbook air by a couple hours.

1600x900 on a 15" is bearable. Would much rather have 1920x1080/1200, but oh well.

Which brings me to my 1 real quasi-complaint, which is the screen. Overall, the screen is actually pretty good. Extremely bright, and matte. However, the fact that it's not IPS is painfully obvious. Colors start to wash out if you're not looking STRAIGHT on the monitor. The Good thing is, this is mostly noticable when the screen is entirely black, which for many people is never the case. Being in the profession I am, I tend to be very acute to viewing angles. Oddly, the horizontal angles are fine, which sucks because I don't care about horizontal, I care about vertical.

Either way, it's bearable. I don't think I would have kept this laptop if I paid 1700 new for it. The display issue wouldn't have been acceptable. But at 1110 like new but used, it's a steal.

****Update****

after less then 2 weeks of ownership, I decided to return this laptop once again and dock my review from 4 to 2 stars. Why? Wifi performance.

First, I noticed that on my 5ghz N-band connection ( I have a dual band router), the connection was oddly slower then on my 2.4ghz band. This is literally 10 feet from the router with no obstructions. I looked into the issue, and did all the typical bios/driver updates along with the power management settings within Windows. Didn't solve anything. Other's were having some success in changing the configuration with their routers. "Turn off wireless-A, or wireless-B" or "try this and this in your router". Heck no. Why should I have to manipulate my router settings just to accomodate the crappy wifi reception of 1 laptop. My router services at least 10 devices at any given time. It's not a matter of difficulty, but a matter of principal.

It's a shame, because I really liked the design of this laptop. But between the screen, and now the wifi, I can't merit the decision to keep it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2013 12:07 AM PST

Intel Desktop Motherboard LGA1155 DDR3 1600 mini-ITX - BOXDH77DF
Intel Desktop Motherboard LGA1155 DDR3 1600 mini-ITX - BOXDH77DF
Offered by Hard2FindParts
Price: $169.00
4 used & new from $168.99

3.0 out of 5 stars First unit boots, but defective. Will RMA and order another one., August 15, 2012
Just got this today via Amazon Prime for my new HTPC build. Got done putting it together, and getting Win 7 Ult 64bit and my wife is watching TV on it now (HDHomerun Prime HD).

Overall, the board seems laid out well. I got the Antec ISK 300-150 to stuff everything in, along with an intel i5 3450 (ivy bridge), 2x4gb corsair vengeance, 64gb crucial M4 SSD main boot drive, and a WD blue 2.5" 1TB data drive. Installation was pretty painless. A couple of (thankfully) not that serious issues, that makes it operational, but still forcing me to RMA.

1. Not sure if this is software or hardware, but the Intel desktop monitoring utility keeps reporting my 64GB M4 SSD as overheating (over 100*C). It for sure is not. I haven't even buttoned up the case yet, so everything is sitting out in the open. I pick up the drive while the computer has been running, and it's extremely cool to the touch. Not even sure how the motherboard is trying to monitor the HDD temp since the HDD is literally outside the case 6", just attached by the SATA cable and SATA power. My best guess is a broken sensor.

Also, theres 1 system fan pin on the board (aside from the CPU fan pin). Doesn't work. I tried multiple fans, several adapters (3pin female to male), and it simply does not provide any power. I'm 100% positive it's not the fan, because I hooked up the 3pin fan connector to a 3pin->molex adapter, and hooked it straight into the power supply. Fired right up. I troubleshot all the extenders I used with the same 3pin-> molex adapter, and the fan works using any combination of these cables. Just not on the board system fan header.

Also, it only came with 1 motherboard screw. Very odd. Luckily, as any system builder should have, I have about a quadrillion of them lying around.

Overall, I do like the board. Hopefully my replacement will be in 100% working order.

Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 Car Seat, Matrix
Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 Car Seat, Matrix
Price: $139.00
9 used & new from $113.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Never thought I could hate a car seat, but I hate this car seat., August 9, 2012
I've been using this seat for almost a year now. Purchased it on sale for a pretty good price (thank god). First, let me preface that my wife and I are at odds regarding our opinions of this seat. She generally likes it, while I can't stand it. Previously, our car seats have all been Britax. Generally speaking, I know Britax are much loved. I personally like them too, but always considered them the "norm" when it comes to design and ease of use, just because I had no experience with anything else.

Well, now I appreciate Britax seats even more. While the Graco Nautilus isn't a total fail, it does have some major shortcomings (in my opinion).

First and foremost, the crotch latches (i.e. the 2 metal latches that are attached to the side straps, but click into the center red buckle). These slide freely up and down the side straps, obviously so you can adjust it. However, there's no "catch" mechanism on the lower end of the side strap to catch the latch from completely sliding down.. every... single....time....you...use it. These latches ALWAYS (100% of the time) slide into the recesses of the back of the seat. So everytime I have to put my kid into it (3yr old), I have to dig my man-fingers into tiny little crevices to dig out these latches. It's that much harder considering I have to navigate around my sons tushy, and even THAT much harder when he decides to be difficult.

In comparison, our Britax straps have these little plastic nubs on the straps, that prevent any latch from dropping to far down into the seat. Costs, what... 2 cents more? Granted, I could solve this by sewing in buttons where I want the latch to not drop past, but thats besides the point. Very poor design by Graco.

Also, the crotch latch mechanism itself is horrendous. These latches should slide in with relative ease, and offer a secure tight connection. The latch on this one requires an annoying level of pressure to actually get it to click. There also seems to be a really low tolerence of error when it comes to alignment, so if you'r trying to click it, and it's not perfectly aligned between the latch and the buckle, you'll be cursing as you apply 100lbs of pressure wondering why it's not F*ing going in. And yes, it's a recurring problem, because even being aware of the issue doesn't prevent it from happening. In fact, I've seen my wife struggle with all the above mentioned problems on a consistent basis, but bless her heart, she is just a better person then I am and very patient.

Last couple of issues. As mentioned in some other reviews, the crotch strap is positioned WAY to close to the back. I have half joked with my wife that I'd like our son to one day bear children of his own, but in actuality, that's how uncomfortable it looks. It squishes all his junk. The only reason I let it happen is because he has not expressed any discomfort.

I've never had this much of an opinion about any of our kids products (aside from toys). I can't stand the fact that it takes me 5 times as long, every single time, to put him into this car seat, then it did the britax that he grew out of. I can see the overall appeal when put into context with its price. Quite frankly, for me, it's already take 130 dollars worth of stress and torment out of my fingers.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4