Profile for Babbey Jackson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 26

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Babbey Jackson RSS Feed (California)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Clockwork Man (The Radium Age Science Fiction Series)
The Clockwork Man (The Radium Age Science Fiction Series)
by Edwin Vincent Odle
Price: $11.31
48 used & new from $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars the time for Clockwork is now, November 19, 2013
This was a quick, smooth read that impresses with the heft and harbinger of many plot points and character peccadilloes that would become staples of science fiction over the next 90 years. There are moments of smile and intrigue but what Odle captures very well is the mix of amusement and horror the people around the Clockwork Man experience.

The short - I found it fascinating in the time that it was written and the ease of the author's prose moves things along nicely. It's a fun read over a lazy weekend. Perhaps try a nice Victorian era pub, some place with gadgetry decor to set the clockwork mood?

Tumi Alpha Expandable Organizer Computer Brief 026141DH,Black,one size
Tumi Alpha Expandable Organizer Computer Brief 026141DH,Black,one size

5.0 out of 5 stars Be part of the Collective and buy Tumi, November 28, 2012
Years ago I used to make fun of all those stiffs in suits carrying their expensive Tumi bags. Then I started working internationally, wearing suits and trying to travel without ever checking a bag. This little tote/briefcase is awesome for that.

Right now I have my Mac Air, iPad and my Kindle in it, with all the cords as well as a pair of running shoes, a sweater, some t-shirts and boxers. This, coupled with my duffel, means I go abroad for up to two weeks without ever checking a bag.

Face it, Tumi makes a great product with a lot of thought put into what you need. It's durable and well organized and perfect for extended business travel.

Resistance is futile.

Doctor Who - The Tenth Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver
Doctor Who - The Tenth Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver
Offered by Bison Lake Trading Company
Price: $17.08
73 used & new from $16.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it's a toy - but it's cool., November 28, 2012
When I ordered this I read a bunch of reviews complaining about how cheaply it is made. Frankly, I don't care about the ultraviolet ink abilities, I just wanted a sonic screwdriver to carry around the office with me. It fits this purpose.

Yes, it's plastic and if you're rough with it, it will break. I keep mine in my jacket pocket and rarely extend the tip. I use the light and noise and have fun with it. When it breaks I will order a new one.

It's the best $10 entertainment since my night in Tiajuana and I don't even need a penicillin shot this time.

The New New Deal: The Hidden Story of Change in the Obama Era
The New New Deal: The Hidden Story of Change in the Obama Era
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars What was the recovery act?, November 28, 2012
We've been through a few very trying and complex years. During the lead up to the election there was a lot of noise about whether Obama's administration had done enough for the American people. One major component of what they did that creates a lot of confusion is the Recovery Act. What was it? What did it include? How is it different from TARP or the various bailouts?

This book is an easy to follow walk through what was included in our New New Deal and how it will continue to impact the States for years and even decades to come.

Know the facts before you dive into partisan hackery.

Doctor Who Dalek To Victory 24x36 Poster TV Print
Doctor Who Dalek To Victory 24x36 Poster TV Print
Offered by PosterRevolution
Price: $7.14
6 used & new from $3.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Exterminate! Exterminate!, November 28, 2012
It's actually a really rad poster and looks great in my office. For my cow-workers who are unfamiliar with Dr. Who, it is merely a curiosity but for those in the know - they love it. The Dalek looks superb and I dig the little Union Jack flag he sports.

Do it. Buy it. Let your geek flag fly, homie.

Mardi Gras Viking Hat
Mardi Gras Viking Hat
Offered by We got It All
Price: $21.99

4.0 out of 5 stars When you need a furry Viking hat, May 4, 2012
This review is from: Mardi Gras Viking Hat
Certain occasions have a protocol -they require you to wear that special something. Some of the occasions require a Viking hat but why make do with a plain old helmet with horns if a special night of pillaging is what you're going to do. Say no more, for the well-dressed marauder will be dressed to the nines in this unholy matrimony of margi gras meets Viking mayhem. It will keep your noggin warm and give you lovely braids to fling about as you do whatever it is you intend to do.

Me? I drank a lot of beer while wearing this and I looked dead sexy doing it.

Go the F**k to Sleep
Go the F**k to Sleep
by Adam Mansbach
Price: $12.41
154 used & new from $2.03

5.0 out of 5 stars when your child finally goes to sleep - read this, August 3, 2011
This review is from: Go the F**k to Sleep (Hardcover)
Who hasn't struggled to get their children to go to sleep? Well, me for one because I don't have kids but I bought this for my sister because she has children and profound appreciation of profanity. She does a fairly good job of keeping those two things separate but she does curse like a sailor.

I digress...this book is a hoot and anyone with children will appreciate it. It reminds me of many of the books of my own childhood with the writing style and pictures. It's like taking those memories and mashing them up with a Chris Rock routine, not the leather clad scary Chris but the more approachable Chris with softer f-bombs.

Lounge by Mark Nason Men's Mescal Loafer
Lounge by Mark Nason Men's Mescal Loafer

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost a 5-star shoe, March 7, 2011
This is my fourth pair of foot wear from Mark Nason. Mark Nason is to shoes what red meat and foie gras are to lunch - decadent and badass. The shoes are long and slender, making you look like you're foot is surprisingly large, always a plus with the ladies. This particular model is built well enough, although it runs a touch narrow in the meat of the foot, just below the toe. However, after wearing for a bit I have broken them in.

These aren't your father's shoes and I probably wouldn't wear them to my brother's wedding. These are more the 'hey baby, why don't you throw on that sexy red dress and I'll take you to dinner' kind of shoes. I have worn them to job interviews though since they mitigate the earnestness of wearing a sports coat and I work in a creative field so style over pomp is appreciated.

The best review I can give is I am ordering a second pair in brown. They wear well and look good with a little scruff. They are a touch too narrow at first but can break in quickly. They are well suited for a fast on and off at the airport give a bit of attitude without going into d-bag territory.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Be the King of Cool, March 7, 2011
Look, here's the deal. You're probably an ok guy but not dead sexy. You know who was dead sexy? Elvis. That's why he is the king and the rest of us are just grimy peasants but you can bask a little in his slicked back glory with a black t-shirt and his image. Think about it - it's a black tshirt with Elvis and a motorcycle. If it also had a great white shark on the front it would too cool to wear but as it is, it's just right.

American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House
American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House
by Jon Meacham
Price: $24.49
511 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars starts strong then fades a bit, January 7, 2011
Meacham is a good writer but not a page turner. He sheds light on some of the silliness of the politics in Jackson's day. I never really understood the depth of the petticoat rebellion or the vicious political attacks Jackson weathered. You will also gain an understanding of how obnoxious the Washington elite was even at that time and how Jackson forcefully expanded the powers of the presidency forever.

He's an interesting president with a compelling story but I find Meacham at times overly pedantic. It is good but I wish it had been better. That being said, I am still glad I read it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3