Profile for Stephen Olinsky > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Stephen Olinsky RSS Feed (Val Therese, Ontario, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2
Dawn of the Dead (Ultimate Edition)
Dawn of the Dead (Ultimate Edition)
DVD ~ David Emge
2 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 for the movie, but I have a crutial question, September 26, 2004
Anchor Bay's original releases of "Dawn Of The Dead" in the past were in the ratio of 1.66:1 and the new Ultimate Edition release showcases the aspect ratio in 1.85:1.

So, my question is this:

ARE WE GETTING MORE PICTURE THAN BEFORE, OR HAVE I BEEN SWINDLED ONCE AGAIN BY ANCHOR BAY IN, YET AGAIN, ANOTHER IMPROPER RATIO RELEASE?!

I'd appreciate the feedback from loyal fans. :-)

Night of the Living Dead (30th Anniversary Limited Edition)
Night of the Living Dead (30th Anniversary Limited Edition)
DVD ~ Night of the Living Dead
4 used & new from $14.99

1.0 out of 5 stars I'd like to thank Elite Entertainment for the REAL version!, September 20, 2003
This is THE biggest waste of money I have ever encountered. I hadn't seen the film since I was a kid, so I bought it hoping to see a re-enactment of my childhood memories, and it seemed that this wasn't the way I had remembered the film.
So to compensate, I took a chance and bought the Elite Entertainment THX Millennium Edition of "Night Of The Living Dead" to see the way this classic was supposed to be.
Well, to say the least I snapped this "30th Anniversary Edition" in half and burnt the rest of the material in protest. In short, THIS ANCHOR BAY EDITION IS THE MOST HORRIBLE PRESENTATION OF THIS CLASSIC. YOU MUST AVOID!

Face/Off
Face/Off
DVD ~ John Travolta
Offered by 5_star_sales
Price: $7.50
347 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Just another opinion from Woo's fan of his old action epics, August 21, 2003
This review is from: Face/Off (DVD)
I used to like this movie when it came out. I must've been about 14 when it saw it, and I found the acion scenes to be nice, some explosions and stunts were good, the story was entertaining, and the acting wasn't that bad!
That was until I saw John Woo's classics "Hard Boiled" and "The Killer" years afterward. I mean, of course when Hollywood gets ahold of Woo after noticing his ground-breaking material, would they decide to make him (and themselves, more importantly) rich with repitition.
Uggh, I'll stick with his Hong Kong classics before I step foot into this pile again.

Seconds
Seconds
DVD ~ Rock Hudson
Offered by cds_dvds_guaranteed
Price: $29.89
38 used & new from $2.47

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lost, Yet Disturbing Cult Classic..., April 13, 2003
This review is from: Seconds (DVD)
Originally released in 1966, nobody saw a video release until 1996, 30 years later. I had some of the disturbing images of beautiful cinematography roaming through my thoughts when I was young, after catching some of it on "Saturday Night At The Movies" with now retired movie critic Elwy Yost. The title of the film always got to me..."Seconds." I always had a curiousity to see the film again to find out the title's meaning. Finally, after waiting so long, jumping from video store to hock shop in search of it, the DVD released and I ran to Blockbuster fast to get it. Well, I know now what the meaning of the title is, and for so many years, I never knew where I had heard that chilling musical score before. Frankenheimer really decided to challenge audiences with this movie back in '66...I mean, how often was it that you saw something like that in those days. Jeez, even my grandfather told me that he never saw anything like that way back when. I was really impressed with this nice & clean transfer onto DVD, and now more people can be able to view what all of the controversy was about.
I'm in total agreeance with Leonard Maltin when he said, "Facinating from start to finish, with good performances, and striking camerawork by James Wong Howe. ***1/2 (out of four)."
Recommended to those with a curiousity for the weird & strange.

Scarface (Collector's Edition)
Scarface (Collector's Edition)
DVD ~ Al Pacino
8 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars In My Opinion, The Movie Is Classic! But As For The DVD..., April 10, 2003
Well, it looks like Universal Pictures gave us one of those 50/50 DVDs. The extras on this single-disc "Collector's Edition" are very satisfying for the Scarface fans, but the transfer makes the movie look dirty when it's not supposed to be.
This happens to be a movie that leans towards a sense of style; that 1980s feel is accompanied by a very fitful and pulsating soundtrack by Giorgio Moroder. Most of the sequences in Scarface look high-class because of Tony's wealthy lifestyle, so cleaning up the film of its fuzziness & dirt would give it an even more realistic feel. I mean, imagine watching those scenes in The Babylon Club remastered both in picture and sound for that absorbing experience! It would really make watching the movie into a happening, which is all the better. Also, look at how grainy some other scenes are: "You made a deal for a ... 18 million dollars without checking with me? Are you crazy, Montana? Are you crazy?!" That scene appears to be the most grainy-filmed sequence in the film, and with this DVD transfer, it appears TWICE as grainy. Is that necessary?
I can see why most people are ticked off with this "Collector's Edition"...if this DVD edition of Scarface REALLY is a collector, then that would mean ruling out all other versions known since its release, because this one IS a "Collector's Edition".
In my opinion, the movie is classic! But as for the DVD, the only thing that makes it a collector's item is the excellent supplemental material.
The movie: *****
The extras: ****
The transfer: Imagine trying to break through a three-layered concrete wall with your head.

Eraserhead
Eraserhead
DVD ~ Jack Nance
6 used & new from $11.83

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest independant film ever made...ON DVD!, March 24, 2003
This review is from: Eraserhead (DVD)
Well, you've probably heard about "Eraserhead" FINALLY on DVD in a transfer that is too good to be true. And it IS true. Packaged beautifully in a 8" x 8" box with a nice 20 page booklet (quite big, actually), I don't believe I've seen a cleaner-looking picture on DVD.
The first time I saw this movie was in the summer of 2002. I had maxed my cable modem gigs for that month, then when I found it on DivX to download for the first time, I'd wait weeks just to have that download finish (the highest that it was downloading: 1.5 kbps, when it WAS downloading). One week later--the hottest day of that year--the download finally completed. The transfer? Oh my God..."transfer". [Laughs] That's a good one. I sat there for an hour and a half, and I probably had seen half of the movie...basically because the picture was MUDDY (and completely black in some scenes), AT BEST! Irremovable French subtitles took up half the screen, the audio lagged behind every now and then, and to say the least, the sound was under pillows with scratches, hiss, crackle, and pop...all enough to even have those rice crispies guys in full blush. Nonetheless to say, I was half-satisfied...but after seeing the film for the first time, who, in the right state of mind, WOULD be fully satisfied with THAT?!
Then after a few days of mind-numbing research, I found it on DVD in the ONLY place available within a reasonable price (I'm sure you've seen some ridiculous prices people charge for VHS copies on eBay). Of course I needed a credit card to purchase it, which I didn't have. But FINALLY I got one, and after my purchase about a month ago off of davidlynch.com, I am EXTREMELY satisfied (mind you, I live in Canada, so paying in USD on my VISA didn't look too pretty to say the least)!
And the DVD? Well, the main menu for the film has a really unsettling scene for a background, in which Henry is tugging at the leash of a dead cat (or a dog?) on the ground with his foot...with no facial expression to mark the meaning. The theatrical trailer (being my favorite DVD feature out of any) is creepy at best, sending a chill of curiousity through your body. And finally, a very informative brand new hour-and-a-half special featurette called, "Stories", in which David Lynch talks about everything that has to do with "Eraserhead", answering any of those questions that might have plagued fans about the film (sorry, he still doesn't say ANYTHING about the creation of Henry's child). And as for the film's treansfer itself...well, for such a rich price of $.. USD (not including shipping), I'll only say this: I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW MUCH OF THE MOVIE I MISSED...and besides, with the original 1.85:1 transfer FULLY supervised by the master himself, how could you go wrong?! All in all, this is the BEST DVD PURCHASE I have ever made.
So, to anyone who isn't quite sure of purchasing David Lynch's new DVD version:
- "Do I just cut 'em up like regular chickens?"
- "That's right, just cut 'em up like regular chickens."

Near Dark
Near Dark
DVD ~ Adrian Pasdar
Offered by too many secrets
Price: $58.99
34 used & new from $7.61

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Pleasing Cult Film...What's With These Rumors Then?, March 10, 2003
This review is from: Near Dark (DVD)
I had heard alot about "Near Dark" for quite sometime, but yet I couldn't find the VHS copy in town anywhere for rent. Then the DVD releases in late 2002, and I took a chance by buying it from Future Shop.
For the movie, it deserves 4 & 1/2 stars, in my opinion!
And as for the DVD, the extras are very pleasing.
But supossedly the movie is not presented in it's full uncut version, and it might be a matted/fake widescreen transfer.
I'm very interested to know wheather or not these rumors are true, because basically, I'm stuck with this version ONLY. So, as there is no way in heck to find an old VHS copy to make comparison, could someone help me out by confirming these rumors?
Please click "Yes" or "No" so as that I might one day be able to find out the truth. I'm only interested because I know that Anchor Bay has released some faulty DVDs in the past with either matted/fake widescreen ("The Evil Dead: Book Of The Dead", for instance), or cut versions (such as, "Manhunter").
Thanks!

Jacob's Ladder
Jacob's Ladder
DVD ~ Tim Robbins
129 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars For the curious..., March 8, 2003
This review is from: Jacob's Ladder (DVD)
Well, now that you've heard everyone rave about the movie, one might ponder about the deleted scenes on this Artisan Special Edition DVD. "Jezzie's Transformation" and "The Train Station" are good, and all have good reason to be deleted. But the one sequence that was taken out called, "The Antidote", was probably THE most horrific experience I have ever had in my life.
I must say that the british sure have a good sense of visual abilities! [Applauds]

Re-Animator (The Millennium Edition)
Re-Animator (The Millennium Edition)
DVD ~ Jeffrey Combs
9 used & new from $7.93

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best DVD editions out there today!, March 8, 2003
A five star cult classic with THX spesifications and extras up the toot? How could a rabid fan of gore go wrong with this?!
THE BEST EDITION OF "RE-ANIMATOR" EVER RELEASED!

Sorcerer
Sorcerer
DVD ~ Roy Scheider
Offered by Magic SuperCenter
Price: $7.99
42 used & new from $3.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Proof that "Sorcerer" WAS shot in widescreen!, February 26, 2003
This review is from: Sorcerer (DVD)
Yes, 5 stars is for the film itself. It is arguably THE MOST nerve-wracking cinematic experience ever filmed. Now with that said, here is the proof that "Sorcerer" was shot in widescreen:

1. Look at the picture of all five men on the back of the DVD cover. You can see only a trim of the German's face on the right side, and the man to the far left side has his head in full view. Now watch that sequence on this full-frame DVD and you cannot see the German at all, and you can only see half of the man's head on the left. Then after the man tells the others that they leave in four hours, it cuts back to them again, AND YOU CANNOT SEE THE MAN ON THE LEFT SIDE ANYMORE, AND THE GERMAN MAN IS IN FULL VIEW.

2. When you watch the original theatrical trailer, there is a shot from the sequence when the hitman and Domiguez are being questioned about the contents of their truck at gunpoint by a terrorist group. When the two first see the group, there is a shot where you see three men pointing automatic guns at the screen. BUT THIS IS ACTUALLY ONLY SEEN AS TWO MEN IN THE FULL-FRAME FILM. THE MAN YOU SEE TO THE RIGHT IN THE THEATRICAL TRAILER IS CUT OFF.

3. Supposedly, there was a Laserdisc version of "Sorcerer" presented in it's original 1.66:1 ratio.

So please, don't gimmie any bull about this film being shot in full-frame. Friedkin may have his wishes to keep this movie in a 1.33:1 ratio, but I say that Universal Pictures is just being lazy in keeping the movie this way.

"Ask Jon Mulvaney" at Criterion Collection and let's get a proper treatment for this film!

Page: 1 | 2