Profile for Scott Hilleque > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Scott Hilleque RSS Feed (Driftwood, TX United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Micro SATA 1.8 Inch to USB 2.0 Adapter Cable
Micro SATA 1.8 Inch to USB 2.0 Adapter Cable
Offered by EDEALGO
Price: $6.99
11 used & new from $1.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good with regular HDs, maybe not so with SSDs, November 27, 2013
Worked fine on several platter drives I tried, but failed to recognize the one Intel SSD I have. That SSD works fine in a laptop, but is ignored by this adapter.

WD Red 2 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD20EFRX
WD Red 2 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD20EFRX
Price: $95.79
67 used & new from $79.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid drive for NAS RAID arrays, November 27, 2013
I have 2 of these in a Synology DS713+ that have been running error free for 10 months now. They're very good on power consumption, both in and out of sleep, and they spin up quickly on demand. They produce very little heat and noise.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock solid, high performance, great features, November 27, 2013
I used to run a few server VMs at home (DHCP, DNS, ActiveDirectory, VPN, Exchange, Squeezebox, etc.) but maintenance and power draw were getting to be a bit much. After moving the heavier bits like email out to the cloud (a la Office365), I really didn't need as much infrastructure (not to mention dropping the hassle of managing certificates, SMTP relays, etc.). I was aiming for a simplified home IT system, but I also wasn't ready to lose ALL the capabilities of running dedicated servers. I still have a moderately complicated environment that includes media, home automation, security, and multiple LANs that goes beyond what a typical appliance will handle.

After doing a ton of research, I ordered the DS713+ in January 2013. My experience over the last 10 months has been, in a word, flawless. I shut down 2 servers that were drawing about 300 watts, and now use less than 20. My small UPS can keep the network up for more than a day in an outage and I have it on a shelf in a hall closet, with no airflow, where it has run without incident since day one.

I use it to provide DHCP, DNS, File share, Logitech MediaServer, and PLEX services on the network and they've all been solid. HD sleeping works as it should too. I really can't think of a single thing I miss from the big servers.

I'm using it with 2 Western Digital Red 2TB NAS drives, which I also recommend.

Note: I did install a larger RAM module (went from 1 to 4GB), which improved performance of heavier services like PLEX. It was a little tricky to get to, but well worth it IMO.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2014 8:18 AM PST

Carson® SureGrip 2x Soft-Grip Glass Magnifier with 10x Spot Lens (SG-10)
Carson® SureGrip 2x Soft-Grip Glass Magnifier with 10x Spot Lens (SG-10)
Price: $9.04
12 used & new from $6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality magnifying glass, August 30, 2011
I bought a few of these for use around the house and for my daughters to explore with. They have a nice rubberized handle and the frame is solid. I've seen them get dropped on the tile floor a couple of times and nothing has loosened or broken yet. The lense is made out of glass so they are slightly heavier than the plastic ones, but they are much less likely to scratch as well. Well worth the few extra dollars in my opinion.

Scents Dry Erase Markers, Chisel Tip, Colored, Set of 12
Scents Dry Erase Markers, Chisel Tip, Colored, Set of 12
Offered by Old South Sales
Price: $16.49
6 used & new from $13.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice aroma but much shorter useful life, August 30, 2011
A coworker had some of these and I thought it was a neat idea so I ordered a box. They do indeed smell good, but they tend to mark inconsistently and do not last very long. Fun while it lasted but I won't be buying any more.

Kids Connect the Dots
Kids Connect the Dots
Price: $0.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not tablet ready, August 30, 2011
This review is from: Kids Connect the Dots (App)
The description says tablet ready but it shows as tiny window at the top of the screen. Needs a lot more work.

4-Port Wall to USB Travel Adapter Charger for Cell Phone, Mp3 Player or Other USB Powered Devices - Fold-up/Flip-down AC Prongs for Convenient Storage
Offered by Battery World
Price: $14.99
5 used & new from $12.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning: NOT UL approved for good reason, August 9, 2011
I've been using this 4-port USB hub for about 6 months and it worked fine until the 2-prong AC plug portion fell off. If you look at the picture, you can see where the AC connector attaches to the main body, what you can't see is that the only thing holding these together is 2 thin plastic prongs < 1/8" thick. Anything more than a slight bump and the body breaks away. The really bad part is that when this happens, the AC plug is probably still in the socket, leaving 2 energized metal pins sticking out for someone to brush up against.

When I saw this, I couldn't believe Underwriters Laboratory would have approved such a dumb design. Of course, they didn't. There are 6 compliance symbols on the side, but none of those are UL. I've observed the process of getting UL approval before and I can guarantee that if this was submitted to them they'd laugh it out the door. Seriously, this product should be pulled by Amazon for safety reasons.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2013 3:51 PM PST

Cisco SR2016T 16-Port Rackmount 10/100/1000 Gigabit Switch
Cisco SR2016T 16-Port Rackmount 10/100/1000 Gigabit Switch
Offered by Platinum Micro, Inc.
Price: $169.90
3 used & new from $99.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Silent and simple gigabit workgroup switch, September 15, 2010
Cisco's marketing department royally screwed up naming this product. They chose a model number (SR2016T) that is one character away from another product (SR2016), which was so horribly panned by customers that it was pulled from the market. They should have just used the part number (SG 100-16) and left it at that. To be clear, this switch bears NO relation whatsoever to the Linksys SR2016 switch. The 24 port models are different as well.

My specific need was for a 16+ port gigabit switch that is quiet (silent if possible) and that will last a long time, running 24x7, completely neglected in a dusty closet. This unit is fanless, delivering on the quiet part, and also making it less likely to suffer from dust build up that can lead to overheating. I can't say yet how well it will hold up over the long term, but I'm not too worried since it comes with a lifetime warranty too.

So far I have had zero issues. Every device that was working on the original switch (an SMC8624 that is being re-tasked) immediately came up at 1Gb on the new switch. Recommended.

Note: the product literature is unclear and sometimes contradictory, but the 16 port model has an internal power supply (no wall wart) and comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2012 5:56 AM PST

SonicWALL Tz 100, 01-SSC-8734, Network Security Appliance
SonicWALL Tz 100, 01-SSC-8734, Network Security Appliance
2 used & new from $184.77

5.0 out of 5 stars An enterprise class firewall for home and SOHO networks, September 14, 2010
I've used SonicWALLs at work for about 7 years, but I could never justify their cost for personal use. The TZ 100 finally brings SonicWALL's feature set and user interface, which I love, down to a price point I can afford. The price is probably more than double that of a typical home firewall; but if you want to expose a service or two on the Internet, and you care at all about security, you'd be foolish to use a lesser product.

I'm not the typical home user. I run my own Exchange server and have several virtualized servers for development, but I rarely mess with firewalls and routers. That's actually one of the things I've liked most about these; EVERYTHING is so clearly labeled and described that I've been able to quickly make changes even years after I set the things up. There's much less need to relearn arcane rules and terminology, which each vendor overloads differently anyways (I.E. zone, port, and service mean many things in different, or sometimes even within the same, products). In my opinion, SonicWALL has just done the best job yet of putting a clear and concise web interface on top of a rock solid firewall/router.

In the past, less expensive SonicWALLs were node limited or had other key features disabled, which caused me more than a few headaches, but the TZ 100 isn't crippled in any way I've yet discovered. Some features require a service contract (VPN nodes, firmware enhancements, virus scanning, etc.), but I'm content enough with the base feature set that I doubt I'll be paying for any upgrades.

I am really happy with this model and heartily recommend it for advanced SOHO and small business use.

Pros:
Easiest user-interface of any enterprise firewall I've found.
Exceptional flexibility and granularity in setting up firewall rules, NAT, PAT, and routing.
SSL VPN for client-less secure connections (only first node is free though).
Intrusion detection identifies common attack patterns (I.E. port scans).
Deep packet inspection

Cons:
Recurring costs for a service contract to get firmware updates.
Intrusion Prevention Service is licensed at extra cost; the service should always be available and only the pattern updates should be charged for, IMO.

Cisco Wireless-g Ip Phone Sip 1LINE 802.11AG Speakerphone Incl Pwr Supl
Cisco Wireless-g Ip Phone Sip 1LINE 802.11AG Speakerphone Incl Pwr Supl
2 used & new from $279.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a decent Wi-Fi SIP handset, February 12, 2009
I just received my WIP310 last night and, so far, my impression has been very positive. I've been walking around with it all day in the house and backyard, and it hasn't dropped a connection yet. There is very little jitter or noise as long as you use the "tighter" codecs (G.729 or GSM). Provisioning was easy too; in fact I just loaded the configuration XML from a Linksys SPA962 and then changed a few settings via the web interface.

Of course, there are a couple of issues Cisco needs to address still:
- Menu and feature navigation is a bit clumsy in places
- Phonebook downloading doesn't work
- VM waiting indicator is broken
- Options for configuring messaging appear to be missing
- Settings menu is missing about 1/3 of the options it needs
- Custom ringtones can be selected but there is no mechanism to get them on the phone
- Documentation is COMPLETELY non-existent

The plus side is that all these shortcomings are fixable in the firmware. Cisco has already released an update from what shipped on the phone, which is a good sign that they are working hard to finish it. The hardware, on the other hand, is quite solid and ready to go.

FYI, I am using 3CX's PBX with a pretty vanilla (inside the firewall) SIP configuration. I've made calls to and from a Grandstream GXP2000, 3CX's softphone, the X-Lite softphone, and through CallCentric's VoiP gateway. G.729 with the Grandstream and CallCentric sounds better than the GSM on the softphones, but they're all "good enough" in my opinion.
Comment Comment | Permalink